Sorry all No more sharing sims with new file size limits.

Well since there is now a file size limit I wont be sharing sims any more, as even naked my sims exceed the file size limits.. 
Sorry guys looks like I'm done sharing.

I'll go back to lurking.
Will cancel my Loverslab on Parton as well as there isn't a need for it now. 
Back to the shadows I go.

Edited by lbdelaney

Nope . 
not worth it I'm sharing not making money nor am I going to pay for storage to share, It will discourage any one from sharing if you have to do all of that just to share a a stupid sim. 
But it's not my site to make that decision nor do I really care at this point.  
Not worth the hassle to, I'm a player that had sims that I play that I thought I would share.. no big deal for me. I'm just the average joe trying to be nice and share. 

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG.ef38f0397f4b3e8c2b5c751242385d68.JPG

Edited by lbdelaney
13 minutes ago, lbdelaney said:

Nope . 
not worth it I'm sharing not making money nor am I going to pay for storage to share, It will discourage any one from sharing if you have to do all of that just to share a a stupid sim. 
But it's not my site to make that decision nor do I really care at this point.  
Not worth the hassle to, I'm a player that had sims that I play that I thought I would share.. no big deal for me. I'm just the average joe trying to be nice and share. 

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG.ef38f0397f4b3e8c2b5c751242385d68.JPG

Wow how big is your cc ? do you have any big merged files ? maybe it has been restricted in the Sims downloads due to the recent spamming problems.

1 hour ago, lbdelaney said:

Well since there is now a file size limit I wont be sharing sims any more, as even naked my sims exceed the file size limits.. 

I presume you use S4TI for exporting sims (like everybody else) - do you go through the CC before exporting, or just let everything be included from the CC list offered by S4TI?

I'm only asking because S4TI sometimes includes extra stuff that actually shouldn't be part of a sims package (WW stuff, body part raplacements, traits, etc.)

TBH I'm sometimes baffled at the sims sizes uploaded to this site (especially the ones over 1GB), as my largest one ever was only 150MB, and that included a set of CC outfits for every slot.

Spoiler

simslist.jpg.8eb0843e6f24cc2e201519dc9618c160.jpg

Edited by peco328
typos

Well, sometimes it doesn't go the way we would like, but keep in mind that running servers 24/7 along with an online storage for user files isn't exactly cheap and this website probably has its own technical limits in this regard. If I wanted to upload something and the file size limit wouldn't let me, I'd just use file sharing service such as mediafire, or any other file sharing service, mediafire is just an example, because it's my personal favorite for being one of the less annoying services of this type when it comes to ads, filling captchas, waiting times for download, etc. Free users have 1000 GB of storage and there's no size limit (I tried to upload 1 GB file and it worked). It's pretty intuitive for both those who share and those who download. Of course, in the end you are free to do whatever you want, I just thought I would offer an alternative.

3 minutes ago, lbdelaney said:

I have uploaded to 1.2 gb before .. Capture.JPG.536a53472b4e0e01c7ccb99ac4dff8f7.JPG

To be honest that's far too much CC, it will need sorting, the file size limit should be enough for you tray files and CC, sadly it means sorting out only the used CC and making sure you have no massive merged files, sorry.

I'm a player that had sims that I play that I thought I would share.. no big deal for me. I'm just the average joe trying to be nice and share. 
Could care less really as I'm not here to make money . I'm a player not a designer with a site to promote.  Been a member for 5 years or something like that . Never really started sharing till a couple of months ago.. no big deal I just just wont be sharing anymore.. I'll go back to just keeping my sims to myself. Still love the site.. will visit often.  :) 

2 minutes ago, lbdelaney said:

I'm a player that had sims that I play that I thought I would share.. no big deal for me. I'm just the average joe trying to be nice and share. 
Could care less really as I'm not here to make money . I'm a player not a designer with a site to promote.  Been a member for 5 years or something like that . Never really started sharing till a couple of months ago.. no big deal I just just wont be sharing anymore.. I'll go back to just keeping my sims to myself. Still love the site.. will visit often.  :) 

Totally understand, sorry its not good news for you though if you want to share. It's actually a good thing because all the CC has to go somewhere when someone downloads a sim so maybe the Admins have really looked into this in a good way. I would rather download only the CC for that sim and not merged, mod files and such like :(

Hey lbdelaney thank you for the news i was working out how i could upload a 600mb sim myself but hearing this i will not bother so you saved me a headache, like you i just play the game and thought i would share my sim(s), saying that i am downloading yours before they disappear, all best to you and enjoy the game.

3 hours ago, johnpage said:

Hey lbdelaney thank you for the news i was working out how i could upload a 600mb sim myself but hearing this i will not bother so you saved me a headache, like you i just play the game and thought i would share my sim(s), saying that i am downloading yours before they disappear, all best to you and enjoy the game.

yeah its sad .. but I understand .. i think they should allow a set amount of allowed space .. for each "member" once they reach their limit they wound have to remove older content to get space back. this would be a better way.. would get rid of very old content at the same time as allow new content to be posted.. maybe even allow a little more space for supporters ..
But then again that's not my call.   

Splitting up archives is extremely trivial.

I think the filesize limit is totally justified, it encourages people to split up the archives that Tray Importer spits out and maybe think about what it is they actually package with their sim uploads. 

Basically don't include merged packages, don't include mod files. This is not hard and you should at least make this small effort to ensure that people who download your sims don't just add a bunch of crap to their mods folder. 

Edited by mrrakkonn
9 minutes ago, mrrakkonn said:

Basically don't include merged packages, don't include mod files

Absolutely right on! People should really give a bit more pride and attention in what they publish.

The other day, I've downloaded a sim, it had a "SkinsMerged4.package" included in it, that was 175MB alone, I unmerged it out of curiosity, and it contained a total random selection of clothes items, makeups, skins, and god knows what else... many of them probably not even used on the sim. It's just seemed like ridiculously amateurish to be honest.

Spoiler

This was all included in "SkinsMerged4.package"

merged.jpg.7c11cdac5339f38b67245aea99da9444.jpg

8 hours ago, peco328 said:

Absolutely right on! People should really give a bit more pride and attention in what they publish.

The other day, I've downloaded a sim, it had a "SkinsMerged4.package" included in it, that was 175MB alone, I unmerged it out of curiosity, and it contained a total random selection of clothes items, makeups, skins, and god knows what else... many of them probably not even used on the sim. It's just seemed like ridiculously amateurish to be honest.

The first time I tried packing up a sim with S4TI, I wondered why it was half a gigabyte big. Turns out there was a 300MB merged package courtesy of one of those Russian sims sites. Turned out nearly every piece was a duplicate of something I already had individually. And 99% of it wasn't for that sim I was packing up.

The file size limit was added in effort to cut down on people uploading sims that include a lot of unnecessary content. 

I'm open to adjusting the value, but honestly if you can't make a custom sim fit into 200mb, there's a real problem with your method. As others have said the method of exporting a sim can easily end up including many unnecessary files. And even if you have completely legit reasons for going over the limit, you are free to upload it to another site such as mega and link to it in your download instead.

6 hours ago, Ashal said:

The file size limit was added in effort to cut down on people uploading sims that include a lot of unnecessary content. 

I'm open to adjusting the value, but honestly if you can't make a custom sim fit into 200mb, there's a real problem with your method. As others have said the method of exporting a sim can easily end up including many unnecessary files. And even if you have completely legit reasons for going over the limit, you are free to upload it to another site such as mega and link to it in your download instead.

can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink fits here..... ashal is right... it's work but if you truely wanted to share you'd do it and not put up bloated files... I for one don't think those uploading sims should be including sliders and stuff...I can see loading outfits but body mods and sliders they should just link to them... not everyone likes the big black girl body image.  i know a couple of folks actually stuck wickedwhims and basemental drugs in with their sims.... two files most people already have. So if it's too much work to make sure you don't have extra stuff in your files then you really didn't want to share anyway imo.

Personally 200mb and under has always been the size I look for when downloading single sims, so that's spot on for me. I've learnt the hard way a well organized mods folder is the only way to go, but we all do it our own way so a certain amount of sorting has to be done. 200 - 400 and I know there is likely to be some crap hidden. Above that I really can't be bothered ;)  Maybe a fab sim creator can create a guide to the best way to do all this as I'm no expert.