SexoutNG Framework - Installation Guide for Beginners

Introduction

This little guide will cover all the basics in order to succesfully install the SexoutNG framework. There will be some pictures to clarify things that might not be clear to some or are sometimes overlooked. This guide assumes that you have succesfully installed the Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM) and know how to extract files from an archive. It is possible to install the framework with the Nexus Mod Manager as well, but I strongly recommend sticking with FOMM.

I. Download the required files

This one should be obvious, if you've read the requirements section of the SexoutNG OP.

SexoutNG Data

SexoutNG Core

NVSE 5.0b2 (it has to be version 4.5 or greater, older versions are not supported)

post-37-0-85556400-1479597479_thumb.jpg

NVSE Extender 16 or higher!

Astymma's Compatibility Skeleton (as of SexoutNG '94 a compatibility skeleton is included, which means you don't need to install an extra skeleton)

The Mod Configuration Menu

Since we are going to use FOMM to install Sexout in this guide, you need to choose "download manually", when downloading the skeleton and MCM from the Nexus.

post-37-0-83980400-1479597481_thumb.jpg

Once you are finished, you should have the following files (the version numbers may change):

SexoutNG - Core 2-10-94.fomod

SexoutNG - Data 2-10-94.fomod

nvse_5_0_beta2.7z
NVSE Extender v16.fomod
The Mod Configuration Menu-42507-1-5.7z

Optional:

SexoutNG - Bodies 1-1-1.fomod (Install the bodies, if you don't have any male/female nude bodies installed yet. If you already have nude bodies installed, the game will always choose yours over the ones from sexout)

II. Installation

First of all, extract all the 7z archives in their own folders. 

We will start with the SexoutNG main files. In order to install them with FOMM you need to copy all .fomod files to the location of your FOMM installation into the following folder: data/falloutnv/mod. (for instance D:/FOMM/data/falloutnv/mod.) Every other fomod goes into that folder as well.

(Alternatively you can select "Add fomod", instead of "Create from folder" in the package manager and add the files that way.)

post-37-0-85583200-1479597483.jpg

Start up FOMM next and click the package manager button.

post-37-0-22323300-1479597485.jpg

You will see something like this:

post-37-0-12550100-1479597492_thumb.jpg

If you have other fomods installed, they will appear here as well. In order to install them you need to either select them and click activate or just double-click them. You should see this message and the box next to the file name will be ticked.

post-37-0-23643000-1479597493_thumb.jpg

If it asks you to overwrite files, because you are upgrading, click yes or yes to all. Do this for all the .fomod files you've just downloaded

In case you want to use astymma's compatibility skeleton, instead of the skeleton provided by Sexout:

Congratulations, you are now halfway done. Next up, we are going to install the rest of the files. If you haven't already extracted the skeleton files, you might want to do so now.  Since this mod already has the right structure you can convert this newly extracted archive into a fomod as well. In order to do this go back to FOMM's package manager and select "create from folder". Navigate to the extracted archive, like shown in the picture and click okay. 

post-37-0-05051600-1479597494_thumb.jpg

Now you have a new fomod in your selection screen. Just activate it like the rest and you are good to go. If you have a body replacer installed, it might ask you to overwrite files. Choose yes or yes to all. If you are going to install a body replacer, after you've installed the skeleton, make sure to reactivate the skeleton fomod.

post-37-0-02533800-1479597495_thumb.jpg

Since the the NVSE Extender comes as a .fomod archive now as well, the installation process is the same as for the the Sexout Core and Data files. Move the archive to your FOMM/data/falloutnv/mod folder and activate the package with the package manager. 

Lastly, we need to put NVSE itself into its right place. To do this you need to copy the contents of the NVSE archive (all the .dlls and the nvse_loader.exe) into the main Fallout New Vegas root directory where the FalloutNV.exe is located. Do NOT put them in the data folder and do NOT install NVSE with FOMM. You don't have to copy the src folder from the NVSE archive as it only contains the source code and isn't required for NVSE to run.

post-37-0-10457000-1479597497_thumb.jpg

Now you're done with the installation of the SexoutNG framework. In order for it to actually do something, you need to install one of the various Sexout plugins. There is a lot to choose from in the Fallout/Sexout download section. Read and follow their installation instructions carefully, as they often have requirements of their own. 

In case you downloaded a compilation, you should still read the requirements of the individual mods, since some of them cannot be included in compilations. As a matter of fact, you can probably save more time by reading requirements and instructions, as by just downloading a bunch of mods and praying that it works. Troubleshooting a broken game also takes longer than spending a little time reading up on vital information. 90% of support topics in this section are due to the fact that people didn't take that advice.

Edited by BruceWayne

Additional useful info:

How to make pose mods compatible with sexout in less than a minute:

Open the pose mod in FNVEdit. (deselect all and tick the pose mod's esp)

Navigate to idle animations. Right-click on KnockedDownIdles like shown in the picture. Select remove. Confirm your decision. Exit FNVEdit and save the plugin.

post-37-0-81167800-1373046382_thumb.jpg

Note: As prideslayer rightfully points out, there might be some pose mods out there that change more to the animation tree than KnockedDownIdles. If that is the case, you might run into problems. Either you delete the entries as well and most likely break the mod you are trying to use or you leave them and risk breaking Sexout animations. These kind of mods are very unlikely to be compatible or to be made compatible with simple solutions like above.

However, out of the top pose mods from the Nexus (that only add new poses, like slave-in-pose, Groovatron, etc.) only this little change is required. I think most of them even "work out of the box", since they don't temper with the default animations anymore.

Great informative post BruceWayne.

I wonder if the BnB body is suppose to be added before the Astymma's Skeleton.?

Also because of the skeleton having to be the last thing loaded after all body textures etc shouldn't there be a mention in the instructional  where to load all body mods?

Thanks! Correct, if you wan't to have bouncy action, you need to install any body replacers first and the skeleton last. But since this is supposed to be a beginner's guide and Sexout comes with its own nude bodies, this isn't technically necessary. I'll add a remark to remind people though.

Another issue however not with the excellent tutorial.

Wouldn't it be possible to make the folder structure of the NVSE Extender such as not to need a manual installation. If we are gearing the mods to more inexperienced gamers then this will be a massive help. Can't tell how many times I have helped others with the manual installation of NVSE extender. I am sure there are many post where problems occur because of this not being installed correctly. Since it was from PrideSlayer and is open to modify it shouldn't offend or harm anything to make this small change. Then the installation would be simpler and more accurate for newer Sexuout users.

Maybe even including it in the next SexoutNG release to make sure that any extender requirements are met and minimize errors and frustrations.

Sorry for posting it here but it is the closest thing to this issue (didn't want to make a new post) and it is relevant when other experienced modders, and moderators will be seeing this post as well.

I think zippy is now the gatekeeper for the extender. If he can/wants to change the archive, I'll update accordingly. 

As the extender is an extra resource, I think it would be best to keep it seperate from the main download. If changes are made, only the extender has to be updated and not the whole package. But that's not really my decision. 

The main reason there, I think, is that package managers like FOMM & Flash don't always install dll files well. Doesn't mean they always fail, though.

Edit: and the fact that the extender does more than just NG-related stuff is good reason to keep it separated too, of course.

I think zippy is now the gatekeeper for the extender. If he can/wants to change the archive, I'll update accordingly. 

As the extender is an extra resource, I think it would be best to keep it seperate from the main download. If changes are made, only the extender has to be updated and not the whole package. But that's not really my decision. 

That makes sense. Once the new user gets used to the installation process it will work. Sexout is after all a more advanced mod with many facets an any user of this mod would most likely need to learn to "read the manual" eventually. :D

The main reason there, I think, is that package managers like FOMM & Flash don't always install dll files well. Doesn't mean they always fail, though.

I didn't know that. I have been using a zipped file setup exactly the way I mentioned for ease of installation. Might explain why sometimes I have had issues and needed to reactivate it. Will only use the manual option from now on. Thanks DoctaSax

• 1 month later...

Yea need mods to have sex. Must read the info on the mod completly. There might be some instructions for added programs and such. Such as Sexout Willow where you can have sex after completing her quest instead of a fade to black. Also many times I have read individuals having results that they didn't want. Results like  so and so just humped me and I don't want so and so humping me. Later they were informed that if the NPC talks to this individual he will hump the player.

No, SSR and SCR are not mutually exclusive. SSR is basically SCR light, because SCR has become very demanding for some systems as of late. Plugins that explicitly state that they need SCR are going to need it still. Check the SexoutNGBeta thread for plugins that have been converted to SSR. SexoutWillow and some others are converted as well.

There is really not much to te said about installing SCR, that hasn't been said before. The only difficulty in installing SCR is, that you can easily forget to install one of the many resources (at least, that's what happened to me :D ). The SCR thread has some installation pointers and lists all the required files. The worst that can happen with wrongfully installing SCR, is that you have missing meshes and textures for mods that require them. 

SSR comes bundled with all necessary files in its .bsa file, so it doesn't require external resources to be installed. The downside is that there aren't that many plugins using it (yet), with the exceptions listed in my post above.

Thanks for the quick response. I noted someone else on the forums (the SCR thread, specifically) was asking for a guide to install SCR. Do you think you'll be doing that in the future?

I am not the Great BruceWayne however I will attempt to give you some info on how to get started. It will not be as easy as the guide that Bruce made but it is some info

This might be a little outdated, maybe not. In any case it will be guide in installing SCR. Mostly covering the order and some advise on installation. From there you can go to sexout tech support and ask further questions like. "NPC (give name) is floating without a body only has a head hands. Which armor set am I missing from SCR? I used http://sexout.wikia.com/wiki/Sexout_Common_Resources_Installation_Guide to help me install it.

In any case it is a step in the right direction.There are other areas on this site. SCR forum has instructions (or at least had them last time I looked ;) )

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/33-sexout-common-resources-stable-version-scr/

Remember to click on the "spoiler" button. There you will even find links to the files needed. Funny that some of the information you needed was on the SCR site. :P

The wikki will guide you with an order of installation (so that you might not over write something needed later) and the SCR forum will give you links and any added files needed. Any other questions related to SCR should be directed at SCR's forum. You will find it the best place for advanced questions.

As far as someone making an excellent guide like the OP did is doubtful at least in the short term. SCR is being modified and changed around. Things will be added and removed at least so far as I have read. I believe it is an attempt to make it less resource intensive. Anyway during this time I doubt someone will go through the time and effort for a concise guide. On the up side Halstrom is incredibly active on this site, almost daily and any questions you might have will likely be answered by him or one of the many experience SCR users on that forum in a very short time.

However I am not BruceWayne. Perhaps if you say Pretty Please he might make one :P:D

Is that meant to be sarcastic? :P

As ritualclarity mentioned, the ever-changing nature of SCR would make a guide outdated pretty fast. Not that that is a bad thing. The guide would consist out of pictures showing how to copy files in folders. But since all of the files come in the correct structure (IIRC), there is not much to show or to be cautious about. Just install the requirements like you would any other mod and delete .esp files if the SCR or Wiki thread tells you to do so. 

Is that meant to be sarcastic? :P

Of course not. :angel: .

Really, no really. Take a look at the amount of questions related to installation of Sexout before the excellent pictorial guide you created, then take a look afterwards. Big improvement. I use to answer quite a few questions myself on installation questions and NVSE extender questions and such. Now not so much. If that didn't convince you see how many responses to your post you have during the time it has been up. Out of those post how many are actual questions related to the OP? :s .  You can tell how well you did from that alone. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Love your work so far.. you already know that considering how many people I have sent to your page.. the link is even in the sig... :P

There are a few things that can be placed in the second post or even perhaps another post.. say "Advanced SexoutNG Installation and Configurations"..

Simple:

Various problems and potential solutions.. Like the red exclamation mark, floating heads, etc. That might be useful to help direct those to better ask questions on forums. A little info on how to fix them.

Some short links for problem solving like what I started doing with my sig. Series of links of relevant data for aiding those new individuals.

More complex: (perhaps different posts ? )

Various techniques of FNVedit, problem solving, etc.

Merging of mods, instructions on what should and shouldn't be merged and how to do it. Perhaps using Lings and other beauty mods. Maybe two sets of armors that would normally overwrite each other or conflict etc.

FOMM, various uses and techniques available for those using that mod... Instructions like a tool box .. BSA creators and Explorers. Extracting mods to desktop etc.

Many above might be a little to large or not as focused on the installation process but they are ideas which I believe you create excellent tutorials on.

Seems good!

Any chance you might be willing to give me a hand with that? After all, it would save us a lot of grief in tech support and we could instead focus on more productive things...

I'm pretty sure all the contributors, as well as us both have written about a lot of problems, that the only thing necessary would be to collect the info and bundle it into one post of ultimate troubleshooting. :D

I would love to give you a hand... what I could however, I am not knowlegable on the GECK, FNVedit and only now started to get to know FOMM. Most of my assistance has been directing individuals to confirmed fixes. If it comes to more detail on how to .. I am not much help. Simple solutions and such, maybe I can help. I managed to fix one record in FNVedit. Know how to use it to help resolve dependancies in load order and recently started to make BSA's for SCR so that I have a cleaner installation. You even caught me flipping the exclaimation and floating head explainations. .. :blush:

Merging files and more advanced items like makeing your mods into FMOD's etc no clue.

I can't even drag and drop a photo onto the forum like you did for your tutorial... LOL. It took me months before I firgured out how to post photos and spoilers...  I am learning though. I seriously doubt that I can be of great help. Most things I can do could/would be covered with the info on the more advanced instructions in a post. Believe me I have thought of doing just that even before you created the guide.

That's no problem at all. You've been helping people all over the place, so any input is welcome. I tend to forget or not see things, that are maybe obvious to me, but not so much for others.

Btw, I've copy/pasted my pics. They're hosted on imageshare I believe, it's free and easy to use. They don't like nudity though. :rolleyes: