Nioh 2 - Modding Thread and Discussion -

Just now, batteryjar said:

haven't figured out how to fix that yet, has been like that before the blood texture was added

I also thought that removing the 

body armor would also make the body to have "wet" texture. But that is not the case. Only the chest area have wet texture. It's cool if the whole body has that when there's rain in the field. 

The chest wrap removal is more advanced and realistic than what team ninja made

Not having access to any of the game files, I can only speculate.  Most 'wet look' effects are done with either specular or sometimes variations of the normal map - usually an *additional* normal map that just deals with gloss/shine tweaked to look wet and shiny.

I've also seen a few instances where there's actually a sort of stand-alone water texture that gets layered over anything you want wet, with its own set of maps, all of which are used to 'overlay' basically any other texture in the game.  Never got the hang of those myself, but I have seen it done before.

If someone wants to point me to files, or just list all the textures included in whatever would be the body/torso as well as the wrap section, I *may* be able to see what they're doing, though I can't promise for sure.  Recent years and GFX innovations have changed things quite a bit, so there's lots of things simply beyond my experience.

32 minutes ago, Kitty said:

Not having access to any of the game files, I can only speculate.  Most 'wet look' effects are done with either specular or sometimes variations of the normal map - usually an *additional* normal map that just deals with gloss/shine tweaked to look wet and shiny.

I've also seen a few instances where there's actually a sort of stand-alone water texture that gets layered over anything you want wet, with its own set of maps, all of which are used to 'overlay' basically any other texture in the game.  Never got the hang of those myself, but I have seen it done before.

If someone wants to point me to files, or just list all the textures included in whatever would be the body/torso as well as the wrap section, I *may* be able to see what they're doing, though I can't promise for sure.  Recent years and GFX innovations have changed things quite a bit, so there's lots of things simply beyond my experience.

I really don't have the files buy maybe the files in Chest Wrap Removal mod in Nexus can help? I'm not knowledgeable in Mod Creation. 

Try applying the mod and enter an area where there is rain. Then remove your body armor. You can see the wet texture is only applied to the Chest Wrap removal mod, while the body still has a "dry" texture.

6 hours ago, symon2223 said:

It's still shiny, do I still need the "Fix for Mai Cosplay with Optional Panties"? I deleted the whole mod and reinstalled with the updated files, but still, the botton part is still shiny ?
image.png.3e131f2708f9b1f00337e8da9bd43aa1.png

Edit: tried the "Fix for Mai Cosplay with Optional Panties" file but still no change ?

I honestly don't know then, even after the use of original specular map files, it still shiny, maybe there's something wrong on the compression when saving the .dds files, not sure what the proper settings are

2 hours ago, batteryjar said:

haven't figured out how to fix that yet, has been like that before the blood texture was added

The onmyo meshes I shared on nexus before wrap removal fixed the issue of clipping panties after editing it, do you added that on your new chest wrap patch Onmyo hakama? just want to make sure because I just got a report that the clipping coming back.

19 minutes ago, alpaca21 said:

I honestly don't know then, even after the use of original specular map files, it still shiny, maybe there's something wrong on the compression when saving the .dds files, not sure what the proper settings are

If you must use DDS, you probably want mostly default options for either DTX1 or DTX5

The whole idea behind DDS is they're small and fast (loading), but honestly they're a crap format (more on this below).

If the image you're making into DDS has an alpha channel, use DTX5.  If not, you can use DTX1 (if supported) to double compression, which makes it smaller/faster.

That said, you might try an experiment.  If you use TGA or PNG, you'll have FAR greater quality.  DDS is a very lossy format, and again it's made for size and speed, but you lose a crapload of detail (compared to other formats), some normal maps compressed with DTX5 are so destroyed it's a wonder they do anything at all.

Anyways, the experiment is, try packing up a version of the mod using TGA or PNG images.  These would be otherwise identical to the DDS ones you'd been using, even down to the filenames (except the extension obviously) and put in the same folder structure when packed up or put in mods folders.  Assuming the game can read them, the quality is definitely better, and you don't lose channels (alpha etc) or detail due to lossy compression.  The problem of course is, games that demand a decent machine will want MOAR machine to run well, so as you load up with better, larger textures you'll begin to see performance drops.

Some game engines don't care which format, or at least use a few different ones.  Others MUST be one specific format.  Since I don't know squat about this game engine, I can't say it'll definitely work, nor whether it needs enough resources to really begin to strain an average PC, which is why this would be experimental.  May work, may not, or may make the game chug along at 20 FPS or something.  No real way to know but to test and see.  ^_^

41 minutes ago, Kitty said:

If you must use DDS, you probably want mostly default options for either DTX1 or DTX5

The whole idea behind DDS is they're small and fast (loading), but honestly they're a crap format (more on this below).

If the image you're making into DDS has an alpha channel, use DTX5.  If not, you can use DTX1 (if supported) to double compression, which makes it smaller/faster.

That said, you might try an experiment.  If you use TGA or PNG, you'll have FAR greater quality.  DDS is a very lossy format, and again it's made for size and speed, but you lose a crapload of detail (compared to other formats), some normal maps compressed with DTX5 are so destroyed it's a wonder they do anything at all.

Anyways, the experiment is, try packing up a version of the mod using TGA or PNG images.  These would be otherwise identical to the DDS ones you'd been using, even down to the filenames (except the extension obviously) and put in the same folder structure when packed up or put in mods folders.  Assuming the game can read them, the quality is definitely better, and you don't lose channels (alpha etc) or detail due to lossy compression.  The problem of course is, games that demand a decent machine will want MOAR machine to run well, so as you load up with better, larger textures you'll begin to see performance drops.

Some game engines don't care which format, or at least use a few different ones.  Others MUST be one specific format.  Since I don't know squat about this game engine, I can't say it'll definitely work, nor whether it needs enough resources to really begin to strain an average PC, which is why this would be experimental.  May work, may not, or may make the game chug along at 20 FPS or something.  No real way to know but to test and see.  ^_^

The game can't read other than .DDS files as textures
the only thing I understand when saving .DDS formats from what I learn in this thread is texture ps-t3 (Or bump/normal maps) will use Linear DX11+ while ps-t0 (or Diffuse (Color) texture) will use sRGB DX11+ and then it will shows in the game correctly. The saving option however pretty much is fine or fast of the two type of saving files:
930684303_Screenshot(208).png.56cb33021be4dfce523b44a66d75a0ae.png

If I use linear for diffuse texture, the game will read the texture but the colour will appear ugly washed, and likewise. The main issue that I have suspicion on however is that I assume from Specular maps saving settings is neither of that and boy oh boy, there's a lot of option to experiment which one is the correct settings, and even then it's no guarantee the main issue is from the compression to begin with since I don't really know what I'm looking at.

I was wondering actually if anyone could find how to actually save a specular map on .DDS, but still I will try all the settings later in the evening after I mod this BIG BOOTY MOD HAHAY~!

9 minutes ago, alpaca21 said:

The game can't read other than .DDS files as textures
the only thing I understand when saving .DDS formats from what I learn in this thread is texture ps-t3 (Or bump/normal maps) will use Linear DX11+ while ps-t0 (or Diffuse (Color) texture) will use sRGB DX11+ and then it will shows in the game correctly. The saving option however pretty much is fine or fast of the two type of saving files:

If I use linear for diffuse texture, the game will read the texture but the colour will appear ugly washed, and likewise. The main issue that I have suspicion on however is that I assume from Specular maps saving is neither of that and boy oh boy, there's a lot of option to experiment which one is the correct settings, and even then it's no guarantee the main issue is from the compression to begin with since I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Ugh.. my apologies.  Here I am trying to help, but forgot to even ask.  DX11 changed tons of this stuff, and honestly I haven't caught up with it all as yet.

I DO know that the main format floating around right now seems to be BC7, but like you, I don't know a lot about the new DX11+ formats or all their little differences and which one does what exactly.

I DO know they are vastly improved in terms of quality over the old DX9 standards (though still not as much as lossless images obviously), so that's a plus at least.   In any case, sorry my info was a bit outdated and sadly, no real help.  =(  Wish I had something more to offer, but what little I've looked at the new stuff, it'd be a LOT of reading before I actually have much clue what the hell I'm talking about.  xD

2 hours ago, alpaca21 said:

The onmyo meshes I shared on nexus before wrap removal fixed the issue of clipping panties after editing it, do you added that on your new chest wrap patch Onmyo hakama? just want to make sure because I just got a report that the clipping coming back.

i did edit them in the patch, woops. edit: no i didn't touch the panties so the clipping fix prob got reverted

regarding dds compression, i use BC7 sRGB for color maps and BC3 linear for pretty much everything else besides normal maps, which i leave uncompressed

39 minutes ago, Kitty said:

Ugh.. my apologies.  Here I am trying to help, but forgot to even ask.  DX11 changed tons of this stuff, and honestly I haven't caught up with it all as yet.

I DO know that the main format floating around right now seems to be BC7, but like you, I don't know a lot about the new DX11+ formats or all their little differences and which one does what exactly.

I DO know they are vastly improved in terms of quality over the old DX9 standards (though still not as much as lossless images obviously), so that's a plus at least.   In any case, sorry my info was a bit outdated and sadly, no real help.  =(  Wish I had something more to offer, but what little I've looked at the new stuff, it'd be a LOT of reading before I actually have much clue what the hell I'm talking about.  xD

Oh yeah, I think I use BC7 as well when I use Photoshop for saving, idk what Team Ninja do but it seems like BC7 and DX11+ goes along really well, most of my mods mix match those two together because I just use Paint.net for simple edit, and Photoshop for proper editing.

It's alright! I think we all confused about how everything works tbh LOL, one time someone know how to do stuff and they don't even speak English *sigh* if only I actually aim "日本語は上手" title before I turn 20, that might help even a little.

on good notes however, I manage to make thick thigh of my own (BatteryJar Thick booty got clipped so I have to make by my own + fixing the panties clipping)

Spoiler

1099089583_Screenshot(211).png.c282f21f59e30c68ded9b8f413059f9f.png1345994629_Screenshot(212).thumb.png.1aeb87ffe17002bf356b4517c2d5ab9a.png

Although this is pretty much just Chun Li Leg mod rather than thick bum, still need more edit

16 minutes ago, batteryjar said:

i did edit them in the patch, woops. edit: no i didn't touch the panties so the clipping fix prob got reverted

regarding dds compression, i use BC7 sRGB for color maps and BC3 linear for pretty much everything else besides normal maps, which i leave uncompressed

Ah okay, I will reapply it then!

also I will try the BC3 Linear for the specular map and see if it does anything difference.

14 minutes ago, alpaca21 said:

Oh yeah, I think I use BC7 as well when I use Photoshop for saving, idk what Team Ninja do but it seems like BC7 and DX11+ goes along really well, most of my mods mix match those two together because I just use Paint.net for simple edit, and Photoshop for proper editing.

It's alright! I think we all confused about how everything works tbh LOL, one time someone know how to do stuff and they don't even speak English *sigh* if only I actually aim "日本語は上手" title before I turn 20, that might help even a little.

on good notes however, I manage to make thick thigh of my own (BatteryJar Thick booty got clipped so I have to make by my own + fixing the panties clipping)

Hide contents

1099089583_Screenshot(211).png.c282f21f59e30c68ded9b8f413059f9f.png1345994629_Screenshot(212).thumb.png.1aeb87ffe17002bf356b4517c2d5ab9a.png

Although this is pretty much just Chun Li Leg mod rather than thick bum, still need more edit

Ah, the beginning of the decent... ?

9 minutes ago, batteryjar said:

also from the second post on this thread:

HOLY CRAP, REALLY?! I CAN'T READ REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

my Photoshop DDS plugin have none mip-maps as default, which is why the gloss is there.

*EDIT: I gonna spend a whole night fixing all of this*

38 minutes ago, Navylian said:

I'm the only who likes the Mai clothes shiny? xD. In my case I would like if the top part is shiny too lol (to match the bottom tbh xD)

Applying this to Alpaca's Mai Cosplay:

3 hours ago, batteryjar said:

also from the second post on this thread:

Will have a result like this:
image.png.0a4694251df42d1c22691cfe34788129.png

It worked, I just saved the dds files according to the fix. I think this is much better because this is what alpaca really intended, looks really like a cloth and top and bottom armor's texture matched.

48 minutes ago, symon2223 said:

Applying this to Alpaca's Mai Cosplay:

Will have a result like this:
image.png.0a4694251df42d1c22691cfe34788129.png

It worked, I just saved the dds files according to the fix. I think this is much better because this is what alpaca really intended, looks really like a cloth and top and bottom armor's texture matched.

Speaking of, I actually just uploaded all the fix in Nexus

but unfortunately....

1784035673_Screenshot(218).png.39ef6e349bebddd5f7f4b762695157d8.png

quite bruh moment, I was in the middle of uploading thigh that compatible with Shinobi Onmyo as well....

4 minutes ago, alpaca21 said:

Speaking of, I actually just uploaded all the fix in Nexus

but unfortunately....

1784035673_Screenshot(218).png.39ef6e349bebddd5f7f4b762695157d8.png

quite bruh moment, I was in the middle of uploading thigh that compatible with Shinobi Onmyo as well....

Niiceee will use your latest version!.

Will the thigh/booty mod have an option to increase the size of the booty only? I tried to tinker with batteryjar's thigh/booty mod but removing other leg mod makes it weird. I'm trying to make only the booty increase in size.

3 minutes ago, symon2223 said:

Niiceee will use your latest version!.

Will the thigh/booty mod have an option to increase the size of the booty only? I tried to tinker with batteryjar's thigh/booty mod but removing other leg mod makes it weird. I'm trying to make only the booty increase in size.

It's up now

Also nah, I tried to do it but it created seams on the thigh, not sure why even though everything is tightly connected, so I have to smoothen it out which mean the thigh will be bigger- quite ridiculous size like Chun-Li.
I actually recommend BatteryJar mesh more than mine if your aim mostly on booty.

Not sure where I stumbled across the format, might have been off of modifying the skin wrap texture.  Is the format you guys are using is BC7 (sRGB, DX 11+) with generating mip maps?  Also I've been using super sampling for the mip maps...not sure if that's the correct choice either lol.

23 minutes ago, Silvist said:

Not sure where I stumbled across the format, might have been off of modifying the skin wrap texture.  Is the format you guys are using is BC7 (sRGB, DX 11+) with generating mip maps?  Also I've been using super sampling for the mip maps...not sure if that's the correct choice either lol.

For diffuse tex, yes that's the setting
for everything else is BC7 Linear with auto generate mip maps