Immersive Hair Growth and Styling SSE (YPS Devious & Immersive Fashion 2020-05-09)

I think i might be retarded bc i can't for the life of me get the custom hair colour to work, it says to write it with "leading zeroes" but i'm not sure if that means at the start, in the midle of each RGB or where?

sorry for being dumb but what do i need to write to get the 161818 colour?

edit: alright i am indeed an idiot, if anyine has the same problem the thing is that the color doesn't work in hair previews, but if you dye it works.

Edited by iceta
edited because i'm stupid
On 1/6/2022 at 4:17 PM, Darkwing241 said:

I think there is an .ini file setting somewhere for the maximum number of overlays, which could be a potential problem source.

So I checked that and yeah I have plenty of overlays set in the .ini - and I can easily get other facial slavetats no problem. So I don't think that's it.

It seems to me as if slavetats is not picking up the yps assets - like a json is misconfigured or something.

I do have the three yps files - yps immersive fasion 6.2.1 , yps-sse-jsons , and yps-Sound&TexturePack20200517_SSE.

I also have Sex Lab Survival 674 Beta (the SSE port). I believe it contains some tweaks to YPS so I thought that might be the culprit, but the problem persisted after I took SLS out of my load order.

I've been poking at this for a few days and I just can't seem to figure it out. I really wanted to get my eyeshadow and lipstick on.... :(

EDIT: SOLVED - I had an out of date version of slave tats. Using 1.3.7 works: 

Edited by Anunya

Having a weird but almost non-issue: When I start a new game the hair growth works perfectly, but it's like after some time I play (no idea how long however) the mod stops being able to revert to default hairstyles: Everything else works, when I use braids or shampoo to select a style it works, but when the game tries to revert to defult hairstyle, for example with hairbrush or by unbraiding, it just stays the same hairstyle. Even more weird, if I use the hairstyle catalogue the style does not disappear after "showing it for 5 seconds" and it's like it becomes my new style.

On the one hand, thanks to that I can engineer things to work as intended (By using the hairstyle catalogue to change hairstyle instead of using the brush) but obviously it's not working as intended. Thoughts?

Question:

Say I find (or make) some slavetat mods that I think would be great for the nylons, armpit hair, and or pubic hair - what do I need to make YPS recognize them? I'm assuming they need to be put in the right spot and some sort of .json needs to be edited? Is that right, and if so which ones?

On 1/12/2022 at 9:18 PM, Anunya said:

Question:

Say I find (or make) some slavetat mods that I think would be great for the nylons, armpit hair, and or pubic hair - what do I need to make YPS recognize them? I'm assuming they need to be put in the right spot and some sort of .json needs to be edited? Is that right, and if so which ones?

Seems to be based on the "section" portion of an entry in the json.  Nylons, for example, have "Tights" and "Stockings" listed.

image.png.9aeb05eaef779cbea96890e5bdd2ec37.png

Armpit and Pubic hair appear to be hardcoded to only five stages, and you can only replace the associated textures (unless you want to start editing some scripts to add additional stages).

13 minutes ago, u543764509 said:

Fresh install, new game, pubic hair works, but head hair growing doesn't. I keep getting messages about my char's hair being longer, but the actual hair model is still the same she started out with after first run. How do I fix this?

I had the same problem. Using the latest Tweaks by Monomon and SE.

Just now, u543764509 said:

You had the problem cause of those tweaks or you "had" (meaning you fixed it) by using the tweaks?

I don't know what caused the problem. All I know is that I had the same problem the last time I used YPS, and I mentioned that I was using the tweaks because I don't know if they were related or not, but if someone ever tried to troubleshoot it might be pertinent information.

31 minutes ago, MysticDaedra said:

I don't know what caused the problem. All I know is that I had the same problem the last time I used YPS, and I mentioned that I was using the tweaks because I don't know if they were related or not, but if someone ever tried to troubleshoot it might be pertinent information.

Ah, okay! The thing is I can't remember whether I applied those tweaks or not. I can't find anything on his page about the being compatible with SE.

It's too late for me to test, but there's a YPS tweak file on the Survival SSE page, go down on the page a bit. It has files for hair script, MCM script and new esp file, hopefully that fixes the issue.

Edited by u543764509
3 hours ago, u543764509 said:

Welp, I updated with every possible update, hair growth (the only reason I even installed this mod) is still not working. :(

I often had issues with the hair part of the mod until I took the time to read the readme files in the json folder and update the various hair jsons to my liking (and to match what I had installed). But now it's working fine (I've tested hair growth with the potion, and cutting with the scissors but I haven't played long enough for in-game hair growth to actually kick in).

I think the included jsons (for sse at least) are a little misconfigured, sometimes use hairstyles you wouldn't expect, and sometimes use the same hairstyle for different lengths (especially at the longer lengths, because there aren't that many - which will make it look like nothing is happening). And whenever immersive fashion fails to find the expected hairstyle for the transition it's going through, it just keeps the current hairstyle (which again looks like not working).

One way to test if it has to do with the jsons is to debug give your character the hair growth potion and the debug scissors. Drink the potion, then cut your character's hair one stage at a time until they're bald according to YPS. If you see any change at all, then YPS is working in general but is using jsons that don't match your assets (or are otherwise configured weirdly).

I'm not at my gaming PC right now so I'm going from memory, but what I recommend you do is find the hair style jsons. There are some readme files in there as well, which lay out the steps, but basically there are two jsons do update - one which defines which hairstyle packs YPS can use (so make sure whatever you have installed is actually included) and one which defines the default hairstyles at each length (and those are the ones that are a bit janky in my experience). Update the default hairstyles json with the styles you want. The name of the individual hairstyles are the same as what you see when you select them in racemenu. 

The syntax is reasonably accessible, I think, if you're comfortable editing txt files basically. Once I did a pass like that, I found the hair growth and cutting to work consistently.

Edited by Anunya
2 hours ago, Anunya said:

One way to test if it has to do with the jsons is to debug give your character the hair growth potion and the debug scissors. Drink the potion, then cut your character's hair one stage at a time until they're bald according to YPS. If you see any change at all, then YPS is working in general but is using jsons that don't match your assets (or are otherwise configured weirdly).

Awesome, thank you!

After testing I found out that the following stages worked: tailbone¸ hip, waist, midback, bra strap, armpit, shoulder, neck, chin, ear, cropped, long stubbles, short stubbles (it either didn't go down to bald or is bald and short stubbles the same, I didn't see any difference or change). All of them were from my KS Hairdos install. The hair didn't move between tailbone and rapunzel (which was a braid that reached only to mid-calf or knee-high but should've been on the ground I guess).

When I first ran YPS it changed my hair to some generic ugly haircut from stock Skyrim and didn't move from there. Now I need to look at the jsons what's wrong. :S

I have several Jsons, now to figure out which are the ones I need to change:

755262663_Image_2022-01-240342_38_400.jpg.b8f0051ce77f252c3f05bc756f3603c1.jpg

Edited by u543764509

I can give you a bit more of a detailed explanation of what I did in a bit when I get a chance to get to my gaming PC. But there should be some readme files in the same directory as the jsons that explain what to do (it's what I followed to make it work for me).

17 minutes ago, Anunya said:

I can give you a bit more of a detailed explanation of what I did in a bit when I get a chance to get to my gaming PC. But there should be some readme files in the same directory as the jsons that explain what to do (it's what I followed to make it work for me).

Thanks. I read through the jsons carefully and edited them with how I think should work. Even went into "custom hairsets" tab in MCM and added hair up to length 19. Still not working. Nvm that, not important for now, now I need to see if my char's hair will grow naturaly to the next stage which means just play until it does.

39 minutes ago, u543764509 said:

Thanks. I read through the jsons carefully and edited them with how I think should work. Even went into "custom hairsets" tab in MCM and added hair up to length 19. Still not working. Nvm that, not important for now, now I need to see if my char's hair will grow naturaly to the next stage which means just play until it does.

That matches my experience as well. I think there's one or two extra stages in the game beyond what's in the json files.

52 minutes ago, MysticDaedra said:

I have KS + KS HDT.

Try this:

Go the the folder with the jsons - on my PC it's c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common//skyrim special edition/data/skse/plugins/ypsfashion

1) Find the ypsHairDefault.json and rename it ypsHairDefault.json.bak (so you have a copy in case you mess it up).

2) Find the file called "ypsHairDefault.json (only KS Hairdos)." Open it in notepad, then save as ypsHairDefault.json (that way you also keep the original file in case you mess it up later). This will tell YPS to use the list of hairstyles in in that json (for some reason both of the lists for KS HDT includes a hairstyle from Apachii hair, which is weird and will express itself as no change when applicable if you don't have apcahii).

3) If you are using vortex hit "deploy" because sometimes vortex doesn't pick up save file changes and that's what I do to make myself feel better about things like that. If you're using MO2 then I dunno, do whatever you need to do to make sure saved files show up.

4) Start a new game (maybe in a profile with fewer than usual mods just so things go faster).

5) Wait for the pop-up that asks if you want YPS to manage your hair, say yes. Avoid the very longest default lengths (I think "classic" or shorter is safe) because there are no hairstyles defined for them in any of the jsons. I default to bra strap length, but pick whatever length. Does it change your hair? If so, YPS hair should be working 

6) Use additemmenu (or ~ help to find the items and adding them with player.additem xyz) to give yourself the "Potion of Hairgrowth", the "Mirror" and the "Scissors (debug)" items.

7) Drink the potion. It should say you grew your hair to Rapunzel length. You won't see a change though, because the json doesn't go that far (in fact there're no styles defined (or even appropriate hairstyles available I think) for like the four longest settings in YPS. But click on the mirror, and it should tell you that your hair is Rapunzel length.

8 ) Use the debug scissors to cut off your hair in stages. Skip over the very longest stages (again, because the json doesn't have styles defined, so it will just do nothing). I think go straight to "classic" length, and then try out each stage below that. You should see the hairstyles change with each cut, matching what the json says - so the three longest lengths will all be the 0Traveler style, followed by two lengths using 0Fawn. After that there should be a change with each length until you get to the very shortest, where HairFemalRedguard03 occurs twice).

I'll also note that generally I've only had luck with using YPS on a new game. In theory you can hit the "start managing my hair" option in the MCM and the same thing should happen, but I've never done it.

But if 5) results in setting your default hair and 7) and 8 ) results in change in hairstyles with even some of the cuts, then YPS is working. If nothing changes ever, then there's a problem somewhere else.

That's about the sum of my knowledge on the topic. Hopefully it helps :)

9 hours ago, Anunya said:

That matches my experience as well. I think there's one or two extra stages in the game beyond what's in the json files.

9 hours ago, Anunya said:

@u543764509 and @MysticDaedra - which hair packs do you have installed?

Only regular KS. I've already tested the hair with the scissors and potions and it did work.

But you're right, the issue is mainly that KS and Skyrim itself don't have hair longer than tailbone it seems (and for me that YPS crapped out at the very start when it assigned wrong hair length at first-start and stayed there, which I hope is now fixed).

The stupid part is that YPS in LE worked perfectly without a need for any fiddling or messing with json files. SE/AE brings advantages, but just enough disadvantages that I'm not sure whether to go back to LE (and setting up LE again would be a huge pain that I don't want to go in again).