Does anyone love to cook ?

I wouldn't say I love it but have been doing it for a very long time and am damn good at it. As to what is my favorite to make that's a tough question I have so many recipes to choose from (literally 2 dozen published cook books, 3 spiral notebooks full, and 5 small file boxes full of 3x5 cards). So more than I could ever hope to cook, I guess I will go with last nights dinner. [Cream Cheese stuffed chicken breast breaded and pan fried] then I used the pan drippings to make a gravy, real mashed potatoes (no instant in this house) and a stir fried vegetable medley (cauliflower, onions, snap peas with some bacon bits). 

7 hours ago, KanesGhost said:

but when it comes to Spices as an example, say Chilli Con Carne,

Ah yes Chili the very first "real" food I learned to make when I was 12.

On 4/3/2020 at 3:16 AM, ReapersCurse said:

homemade pasta is one of my favourite things to make,

Nothing beats homemade pasta and sauce. Sure store bought will do in a pinch but it is never as good as homemade.

2 hours ago, Irishredneck said:

About 3 yrs ago I saw some guys trying to get a perfect sear on a steak, and to set up the experiment, they vacuum sealed 6 steaks and submerged them in 133F water for 3 hours.

You might try Worcestershire sauce. It does wonders for just about any kind of meat or poultry. I use it in a marinade.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:37 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

You live close by? JK.

BTW you can multi-quote using that + sign next to quote. 

oh I know, I was responding to them as I found them so multi really wasn't a thing I was thinking at the time.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:17 AM, KanesGhost said:

..but when it comes to Spices as an example, say Chilli Con Carne,

then you have never eaten this or cooked yourself?
mexican fire pot, I can tell you, you farts fire. :classic_laugh:

5Y1V.gif

Spoiler

B2B90C8A-F70D-42C9-B323-DB85CF87CC37.jpg

that also tastes very good. :classic_wink:
Mexican bean stew

Spoiler

mexikanischer-bohneneintopf-ala-chili-co

On 4/5/2020 at 6:54 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

You might try Worcestershire sauce. It does wonders for just about any kind of meat or poultry. I use it in a marinade.

in Germany it is called Worcester Sauce, but eating dishes with it, I say only Yummy.

Spoiler

712kn0upoTL._SL1500_.jpg

Ragout Fin

original-wuerzfleisch-ddr-rezept-bild-nr

flesh Ragout Fin

fleisch-ragout-fin-rezept.jpg

31 minutes ago, Swanky said:

Never heard of that stuff winny. Usually going for Sriracha which is a slightly spicy sauce. Does anyone know of that Hot Ones sauce? Supposed to REALLY bring the heat...

there is also in Germany. :classic_smile:

Sriracha Chilisauce

Spoiler

1129390_1.jpg

but that there is not with you, only available in Thuringia Germany.
this mustard is unique. :classic_wink:

Spoiler

I know, I know. Just had some Thüringer last weekend. Friend of mine asked me to bring him some when I was visiting him last year. Said people down where he lived looked funny at him every time he tried to explain the concept of Thüringer Mett to a butcher.

3150.jpg

But I was actually thinking of this here. Hot One's Last Dab.

trio1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1571324213

1 hour ago, Swanky said:

I know, I know. Just had some Thüringer last weekend. Friend of mine asked me to bring him some when I was visiting him last year. Said people down where he lived looked funny at him every time he tried to explain the concept of Thüringer Mett to a butcher.

Reveal hidden contents

3150.jpg

I make very gladly from minced meat, Thuringian roast meatballs *thüringer brat Hackklopse*

Spoiler

thueringer-klopse.jpg

frikadelle-aus-dem-ofen-f1e4232fd910170e

or Koenigsberger dumplings with capers *königsberger klößchen*

Spoiler

hackfleischbaellchen-in-kapernsosse-mit-koenigsberger-klopse.jpg

On 4/7/2020 at 7:40 AM, winny257 said:

then you have never eaten this or cooked yourself?
mexican fire pot, I can tell you, you farts fire. :classic_laugh:

5Y1V.gif

Reveal hidden contents

B2B90C8A-F70D-42C9-B323-DB85CF87CC37.jpg

that also tastes very good. :classic_wink:
Mexican bean stew

Reveal hidden contents

mexikanischer-bohneneintopf-ala-chili-co

You're not going to find kidney beans anywhere near actual Mex or Tex-Mex, Pinto beans are generally where actual mexicans are going to orbit. You'll find kidney beans in gumbo and creole food mostly, until you get to Indonesia.

14 hours ago, 27X said:

You're not going to find kidney beans anywhere near actual Mex or Tex-Mex, Pinto beans are generally where actual mexicans are going to orbit. You'll find kidney beans in gumbo and creole food mostly, until you get to Indonesia.

The kidney bean is proven to come from Peru.
but it is growing almost everywhere now, mainly in america but also in my garden.
I eat very gladly kidney bean salad. :classic_wink:

Mexican fire pot does not mean that it comes from Mexico, this name only represents its sharpness. :classic_smile:

Spoiler

mexikanischer-feuertopf-halberstadter-33

Well to word his words right, sharpness is a topnote quality found in acrid foods and has nothing to do with schoville density (which is a completely made up but very real thing)

Sharp foods are vinegar and habaneros, which is also pretty hot but not bullshit ballistic; basically the top level of that most people not thai or indian or mexican are willing to put up with.

Sharpness is the strength of bitterness you can put out in a top-note flavor; heat is the amount of ouch you're gonna get from raw heat on the bottom note, and again things like habaneros and jalapenos combine the two.

2 hours ago, 27X said:

Kidney beans were common in Asia, near and far in the 1800s courtesy of spain. Tex-Mex kidney isn't a mexican thing, because Pintos rule the day, hands down.

I can only tell you that, what was written in the German Wikipedia.
at colonial times (1492) I have not lived, around it exactly to say. :classic_wink:

English translation

Spoiler

Origin and cultivation
The kidney bean is proven to come from Peru and found its way to Europe in the colonial period (15th century). It is now also known in Asia. Like all other beans, the kidney bean needs a humid climate for growth, which is why the bean is mainly grown in Africa and America. But they are now also common in China.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidneybohne

4 hours ago, Bazinga said:

With sharpness he means hot/spicy btw.

Wrong topic for me, I don't like cooking.

But I love eating what other people cook so I appreciate it. Keep up the good work guys. ;)

I know what sharpness is, that's sharpness. :classic_smile:

Spoiler

https://www.weltderwunder.de/artikel/hoellenfeuer-die-schaerfsten-lebensmittel-der-welt

This is the sharpest chili in the world - and it is deadly!

Das ist die schärfste Chili der Welt – und sie ist tödlich!

https://www.welt.de/kmpkt/article164795570/Das-ist-die-schaerfste-Chili-der-Welt-und-sie-ist-toedlich.html

On 4/11/2020 at 6:11 PM, Yotix said:

I also love to cook and grilL; failed at barbecue though because we couldn't get that cheap smoker drum to actually smoke.

My most recent favorite may sound a bit ... perverted. 

Pig's Ear Salad: https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-pig-ear-salad/  (just used Laoganma roasted chili oil, because you can't get Szechuan peppers here.)

Ha, not pervert, yummy.
that's good, I eat more often. :classic_wink: pig's snout.

Spoiler

Frankfurter Gemeine Zeitung » Blog Archiv » Überdenkt Eure ...

Funny, I don't 'love' to cook, but I find it one of those things one can make a difference in when being a 'perfectionist'. I have cooked at various jobs, and am sometimes 'horrified' at the lack of effort, and finished product some seem to equate to doing the job. Seriously, it's one reason I rarely eat out anymore (covid aside).

I'm usually not 'fast-enough' for managers but I've never had a server complain yet.......

Presentation is an art form, and as long as you don't butcher the recipe the final product will bring happiness to those whom consume.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in confinement with my roommates, who are all from different part of Europe, and we've been having a non stop cook fest. Just done cantonese rice, tomorrow it's hachis parmentier, a french gratin with potatoes and meat. After that our Italian lady is planning homemade putanesca sauce, and the day after that my roommate's girlfriend is doing some viet dish with ginger pork and cucumbers. Will post pics if I remember before gulfing it all down ! 

I liked cooking and baking

Till I looked at the sink full of dirty dishes ?
Then what was fun turned into a chore. Fun ≠ Chores

So now I consider it another pain in the ass like a job or girlfriend. Nothing but a waste of time and leads to a mess you have to clean up afterwards that never ends.

When I cook the whole process helps get my mind off things. Even cleaning up afterwards, or making sure I don't make a mess- A bit of disciplining the mind, keeping me focused, building patience too. I think it's as much a form of self expression as any other art. Not to mention, receiving compliments for it is quite a reward, on top of eating exactly what you like, how you like it, when you like it. Even shopping for what you'll need can be a fun little process with some added socialization, especially if you get someone to come with you for company.

I also like preparing the materials, so, all the precision cutting ETC. It's a small ritual which I enjoy.

I used to love cooking, even thought of making a career out of it at one point, but two years working as a line cook killed my passion.

Favorite things to cook? Eggplant Parmesan, candied bacon, jalapeno poppers, and surf and turf tacos.