Modders: How do you find the time to enjoy your mod?

4 hours ago, huanrenfeng said:

I just tried CK64 ( for SSE ), wow it's cool with the fix! very fast to run. Maybe you want to check it out!

Oh I will, once I fix my current game. Getting ready to start a mini-series on Plexstorm and gotta make sur eall my crap is set up correctly so I dont have misc floating space-tits xD

over 3500 Hours in CreationKit

over 1500 Hours in TES:5 Skyrim

500 Hours of TES:5 Skyrim is working on ENB

Another 500 is testing mods

Another 300 is making shots etc. for mods or just for fun

and only around 200 Hours is my Play Time...

Spoiler

S144.png.cccd8716524bc273ab94543f89c488ac.png

S155.png.8b1cd9b96bf9b0e5528ee1eb3cfacc5e.png

Soon i will have 4000 Hours in CreationKit

i spend around 3/6 hours / day on CK

and FUN to me is working in CK, not playing this Trash game... i can't get 60 FPS... can't play in 4k... at least 4k...

and this game is just trash and everything is bad... 

but i love working on Scripts, Locations etc.

i'm Programmer / Level Designer...

im 13 years in Level Design already :x...

And i just love it, i love to build very detailed and epic locations ^_^ 

Spoiler

ss5.png.9299033be388c87023ce35e6914f4a7f.png

Between chair and desk, under Monitor there is bottle and paper hidden...

probably no 99% never will see it, but i just love to make my Rooms and Levels just perfect :o

I don't have to find time to play and enjoy my own Mod...

Making it makes me happy and i enjoy more by making my mods than playing them :x...

//Edit:

i don't even remember my last time when i just start Skyrim to play it :x...

Today i start Skyrim only to edit my ENB and take one shot:

Shot:

Spoiler

72850_20200320090149_1.thumb.png.f2d268ac67f0cef2f5578d4eeb362295.png

Edits:

Spoiler
Spoiler

72850_20200320084053_1.thumb.png.a363fe1eb41fae8803413c676bda2b20.png

Spoiler

72850_20200320084125_1.thumb.png.fa6718835ea5d8a7e4efa77824a3d37d.png

Spoiler

72850_20200320084250_1.thumb.png.7f6bed0e8d7213ab570bc0f691a91787.png

Spoiler

72850_20200320084413_1.thumb.png.563fa3c229d52d9b0df205a549110cd1.png

Spoiler

72850_20200320084527_1.thumb.png.d1fc25910460c6803992deca3a2dc9ca.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 8:57 AM, TobiaszPL said:

over 3500 Hours in CreationKit

over 1500 Hours in TES:5 Skyrim

500 Hours of TES:5 Skyrim is working on ENB

Another 500 is testing mods

Another 300 is making shots etc. for mods or just for fun

and only around 200 Hours is my Play Time...

Reveal hidden contents

S144.png.cccd8716524bc273ab94543f89c488ac.png

S155.png.8b1cd9b96bf9b0e5528ee1eb3cfacc5e.png

Soon i will have 4000 Hours in CreationKit

i spend around 3/6 hours / day on CK

and FUN to me is working in CK, not playing this Trash game... i can't get 60 FPS... can't play in 4k... at least 4k...

and this game is just trash and everything is bad... 

but i love working on Scripts, Locations etc.

i'm Programmer / Level Designer...

im 13 years in Level Design already :x...

And i just love it, i love to build very detailed and epic locations ^_^ 

Reveal hidden contents

ss5.png.9299033be388c87023ce35e6914f4a7f.png

Between chair and desk, under Monitor there is bottle and paper hidden...

probably no 99% never will see it, but i just love to make my Rooms and Levels just perfect ?

I don't have to find time to play and enjoy my own Mod...

Making it makes me happy and i enjoy more by making my mods than playing them :x...

//Edit:

i don't even remember my last time when i just start Skyrim to play it :x...

Today i start Skyrim only to edit my ENB and take one shot:

Shot:

Reveal hidden contents

72850_20200320090149_1.thumb.png.f2d268ac67f0cef2f5578d4eeb362295.png

Edits:

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

72850_20200320084053_1.thumb.png.a363fe1eb41fae8803413c676bda2b20.png

Reveal hidden contents

72850_20200320084125_1.thumb.png.fa6718835ea5d8a7e4efa77824a3d37d.png

Reveal hidden contents

72850_20200320084250_1.thumb.png.7f6bed0e8d7213ab570bc0f691a91787.png

Reveal hidden contents

72850_20200320084413_1.thumb.png.563fa3c229d52d9b0df205a549110cd1.png

Reveal hidden contents

72850_20200320084527_1.thumb.png.d1fc25910460c6803992deca3a2dc9ca.png

Wait, playing Skyrim is trash but "playing" with CK is Fun...

OooK ?

On 4/4/2020 at 9:36 PM, poranmi said:

Admittedly, I don't enjoy my own mods. I enjoy the happiness they bring to others. By the time they are usable I've gone through enough bug testing to associate it with work.

Hm, but doesn't that lead to the question:  if you do not enjoy your own mods why do you think other should?

Just now, Surverx said:

Hm, but doesn't that lead to the question:  if you do not enjoy your own mods why do you think other should?

It doesn't lead to that question at all.  Re-read what he wrote.  And that is now two comments in a row that add fuck-all to the discussion.

At this point, it just looks like you're trolling.

You could always engineer a global pandemic, so that everyone had to stay at home. That would give you plenty of time to play as well as mod...

... or maybe not. If you're anything like me, you'd just use the time to get more modding done.

56 minutes ago, Seijin8 said:

It doesn't lead to that question at all.  Re-read what he wrote.  And that is now two comments in a row that add fuck-all to the discussion.

At this point, it just looks like you're trolling.

Wow, that went quick into a blaming session.

I wish you a nice day too.

I'm having this same issue TobiaszPL reported. For each hour playing Skyrim, I pass four to six hours in CK.

Reasons for this are many, but the main reason is that there is not much to do in Skyrim. Its always that same tundra, and running in circles get boring after some time.

There are mods which adds Valenwood and Morrowind, but they have issues, so I dont use them. I tried to fix some of these issues, but most landscapers seems to not track the stuff they put into their projects (or they do, but dont release it to the public), which leaves me clueless on how to fix it.

The only way is to do it myself. Hence four to six hours in CK for each hour in Skyrim.

The only difference is that I'm bad with scripts, as I'm not a programmer. Recently I searched for a script pack which I could use in Skyrim, but could not find any. Sad.

Unreal Tournament and Dawn of War (and a bit of Killing Floor) leveldesigner here, I usually don't spend that much time within the editor (anymore), but I do take time to thoroughly test the map myself to make sure most bugs are ironed out before beta test shipping. After everything's done, doing a few test runs to enjoy the map and make sure everything's fine (again) before final upload. So especially in beta test, I do make time to enjoy my creations for a good bit before moving on.

If we are talking ratio though, I'd say, depending on the map, 30 to 50 hours mapping time to 3 hours playtesting / enjoying time.

How do you manage to develop, play-test, patch, and still enjoy the mods you create?

I don't know if what I do for TS4 would truly be considered modding, but I do create quite a few things for the game in terms of content, which can be very time consuming and even a little draining.
For development, an idea, or many, pop into my head, or I get a request to make something. From there, I get to work, sometimes it might take a day for me to get the rough initial version of what I want to release. Other times I've very lazy, will work on it for a couple of hours, leave it alone for a few days and then come right back with renewed energy. From there my favorite part of the process comes along, making textures! Heehee, I feel like a little designer. That only takes a few hours, and then is the play test phase. This is what is the most time consuming and frustrating part. I look for clipping, weird animations, just anything that might look janky in someone else's game. But you're constantly going into the game, out, and right back in to see if your fixes get your any closer to the final product. Bleh, I hate that part. Haha, but it has to get done. It terms of "patches", I just wait for someone to tell me if they see anything odd in their games with my content. The moment they do, I immediately try to get it fixed and update it here. Luckily I don't have that problem too often. 
And lastly, how do I enjoy them? I honestly have to take a break from creating and just tell myself, no you're absolutely not going to make anything new for this game, you're going to play  the game just to play. Sometimes you have to take of your creator's hat and just play your game :) 
21 hours ago, modella said:

Heehee, I feel like a little designer.

There is joy in creating. I don't mod, but I like using them to create my own play style. Some are overly protective of their mods, like some parents are overly protective of their children. It's just the way of the world, and none of us would be here at LoversLab without mod-makers desire to create regardless of their reasons for doing so.

Time spent is the question, and sometimes I myself feel like I spend a lot of time getting games right using mods to do more than the game itself can out of the box, but it's worth it when done.

10 hours ago, AwfulArchdemon said:

Modders enjoy their mods cuz they wanted to change their game, and did. Modding isn't about uploading. It's about screwing around with your game until you made a thing change in a way you like.

It's also a long, arduous learning experience.

Yes, and if there's no tutorial, it's like hacking, especially for the SKSE mods.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say that we are the hardcore part of the development team of any game company, we learn from scratch all the tools and pipelines of the base software we want to mod.Mostly by ourselves, without any tutoring, just by our deduction.

Going thru all the process from noob developer to a mothafaka badass author of a mod is an interesting experience, with lots of tears and WTF's moments from testing stuff.And the hardcore stuff is - we dont get payed like any other game company member are, considering that most modders fix or remake broken ass lazy work they do. So if you question if it's even worth, think of yourself,  as a " veteran " in the field of this constant warzone. The glory and gamehalla comes to ones who are remembered for their deeds and inspire others.         

It's easy to find time to enjoy your mod when you are just modding for yourself like I have been. :classic_biggrin:

The hard part comes when you want to share it. So many things to think about like coming up with the structure for your mod, choosing or making assets, do you need permission for using this and if you can't use it, do you scrap it or try to replace it? What is the focus of your mod and how much is it going to do/cover (how much work do you want to do or have time for)? Will it be compatible with other mods and if not how many? But, the one thing that I look for above all other considerations- is it good enough that I can feel kind of proud of it? I'm a harsh critic of my work. I've released mostly crap to this point, but, I am learning and want to do better. Professional quality is what I am aiming for eventually- I want my work to enhance the game as much as I'm able.