How do you expect a newbie to not get lost?

How do you do this? Seriously.

I created this account in may 2014 and I haven't downloaded a single thing because I don't know where to start.

Beside SE, what else do I need? What is essential? What should I be looking for? What does that acronym mean? And that other one? Is there a better site interface to browse the mods or am I supposed to scroll infinite forum pages, searching for things I am not even aware exist?

I'm looking for a guide that says "You! START HERE!" but if I start at a multiple fork I can't even look for that: say I find one; does it apply to everything Skyrim related, or only to that forum subsection?

On 3/5/2020 at 11:02 PM, SexyArgonian said:

What does that acronym mean?

SE is Special Edition (the 2016 re-release of the game) and if you don't know that I'd advice you to double and triple check that you have Skyrim SE indeed. You would also have a better time if you take a look at the forum sections, for example this isn't the place to post about SE. The "other one" I guess is LE, which means Legendary Edition (the 2011 game + the 3 DLCs).

Is there a better site interface to browse the mods or am I supposed to scroll infinite forum pages, searching for things I am not even aware exist?

Well of course, if you look at the top-bar in the forum, you'll see a "FORUMS", "DOWNLOADS", "BLOGS"... buttons, if you press the Downloads one you'll get to the downloads site. There are separate categories for each game and within those game there are different categories to filter the mods.

I'm looking for a guide that says "You! START HERE!"

If only you would take a look at the right places you can find such thing. In the main section for Skyrim SE there is a pinned topic, "Mod Organizer 2 & Other tools - Everything you need to know to start playing Skyrim SE with mods", the title might sound a bit pretentious, but I wrote that guide with the single purpose of holding the hand of newcomers. Luckily for you it's also linked in my signature. The guide start with a new/unmodded game and finishes with a functional Sexlab framework, it has info on several tools you'll be using on a regular basis. And at the end of it there are links to useful sources of information to keep adding mods to your game on your own (something you should be able to do if you truly learned by following the instructions).

I know it might seem hard at first, but everyone start by the basics. You find the framework, check the requirements, read what everything does and in time you'll have everything you need. 2014... man get to it.

Edit: as per your other post I gather you didn't had Skyrim SE after all. I wouldn't advice you about using my guide if you're on LE and totally new to the concept of installing mods on your own. The links I refer to are for SE, entire sections of my guide won't apply to LE and there might be minor changes in general, which can get you confused if you don't know what you're doing. My advice about reading about a mod requirement and features stands, that's how people get to know how to do things. You start by the main mod and track every required mod for that, and the requirement of those mods too. Until you've covered everything. And then you must learn how to use the different tools and what does each mod, and so on. There are useful threads that might help you, but in the end you must learn how to do things yourself, otherwise you'll face troubles the moment you step out of the boundaries of the guides you've been following.

By posting more. Seriously! A great many people are willing to help if you ask questions. Kinda like this thread you started here. :)

Beside SE, what else do I need?

What is the "SE" acronym? By "SE" do you mean Sexlab or Special Edition? And what else you need depends on what else you want.

Sexlab does nothing by itself, it's what we call a "framework" mod. You'll need some mod to trigger it. The quickest and easiest is Matchmaker. Be advised that even with that you'll still need to do the MCM setup for Sexlab.

What is essential?

Again, that depends on what you want. Sexlab is the only really "essential" thing. Well, that and the things it requires, like SKSE, FNIS, and SkyUI.

What does that acronym mean?

Those can get to be too much, yep. Hang on, I'm pretty sure there's a page devoted to that somewhere, I'll look for it...

Here's one I started: LINK

And one by @CPUthat's probably more up-to-date: LINK

Is there a better site interface to browse the mods or am I supposed to scroll infinite forum pages, searching for things I am not even aware exist?

No, there isn't a better interface, but also no you don't have to scroll forum pages. Like for 99.7% of everything, anyway - there may be some uploads for various things like minor patches or updates buried in the support threads for each mod, but in general everything you need will be located on the download page or first post of the thread.

I'm looking for a guide that says "You! START HERE!"

Actually, I do think there is one, but I'll be damned if I can remember what or where. Somebody did start one at one point anyway. Not that saying that's much help. ;)

And what do you mean by "multiple fork?" Are we talking about downloading stuff from github?

You're not alone - a lot of people find this all a bit overwhelming. The problem, at heart, is that Skyrim isn't really set up to handle the kinds of things sexlab and sexlab-dependent mods do. It's all basically a hack to try to get the engine to do something it was never intended to do in the first place. I find it all very impressive, actually, especially considering how buggy and glitchy the vanilla game is, running on this engine. But that doesn't help someone in your position. Every mod page seems like it has dozens of pages of instructions, requirements, rules, exclusions, compatibility information, and advice. The thing is, it is actually all necessary. Everyone's setup is different, and even if they were all the same, everyone has different tastes and will be running a different set of mods. For example, I honestly don't know how many pregnancy or belly-inflation mods there are for Skyrim. Five? Ten? More? And each one, that supposedly does the same thing, does it in a different way using different tools and has different requirements.

I don't want to turn you off of modding, here. Once you get everything set up, it really breathes new life into an old game. But there is quite a learning curve.

You've started off strong just by asking these questions. Don't get too frustrated - as difficult as that is with all this stuff you have to do and know - you'll get there eventually. It might take a dozen solid hours of downloading, fiddling, tweaking, and testing, but in the end you'll probably be happy with it. :)

And please keep asking questions! If for no other reason than other people with similar problems may want these same answers.

EDIT: A good place to start (for LE/oldrim): Sexlab Index or for Special Edition Sexlab Index SE

3 hours ago, SexyArgonian said:

I created this account in may 2014 and I haven't downloaded a single thing because I don't know where to start.

Beside SE, what else do I need? What is essential? What should I be looking for? What does that acronym mean? And that other one? Is there a better site interface to browse the mods or am I supposed to scroll infinite forum pages, searching for things I am not even aware exist?

I'm looking for a guide that says "You! START HERE!" but if I start at a multiple fork I can't even look for that: say I find one; does it apply to everything Skyrim related, or only to that forum subsection?

its really simple first you start modding at nexus, when u get more confident and knowledgeable then u start installing mods from here and google is your friend help is everywhere if you just spend time to watch/listening to youtube videos and reading....

just remember everyone learns at his/her own pace, but really to expect being spoon feed all the way, my advice dont mod because it will cause more headache and stress especially when stuff starts breaking .... and then u realised it's already 5am in the morning and u had work the next day...

On 3/6/2020 at 4:19 AM, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

Well of course, if you look at the top-bar in the forum, you'll see a "FORUMS", "DOWNLOADS", "BLOGS"... buttons, if you press the Downloads one you'll get to the downloads site. There are separate categories for each game and within those game there are different categories to filter the mods.

W - T - F xD

There is "Downloads" button xDDDDDDDDDD So well hidden :D

I was always using Google to search for "LovesLab Skyrim SL Defeat" and then i click "SexLab Framework" xDDDDD

1. Write what you want in Google - i just start with Skyrim Sex Mods and got one i dont remember now mod at LL

2. Read description and download other mods :D required for mod you want xD lol

some Mods have cool recomended mods so its worth to read all :D

if i remember SD+ ( Sanguine Deabuchery ) DD ( DeviousDevices ) and Cursed Loot have a lot good recomended mods :o

just use Google lel :x... and read Description...

57 minutes ago, TobiaszPL said:

I was always using Google to search for "LovesLab Skyrim SL Defeat" and then i click "SexLab Framework" xDDDDD

just use Google lel :x... and read Description...

That only works if you know the name of the mod you're looking for. If you're new here you probably want to check the whole download section. And OP mentioned scrolling through infinite forum pages, that's why I brought the download section.

If you want to search for an specific mod all you have to do is google

loverslab: XXXX

Where XXXX is whatever word you want, like part of the name of the mod or general words like "bodyslide", "conversion", "replacer", etc. The results will be limited to the loverslab website.

Oh and, obligatory xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD to balance your message.

Archived