Favorite Quest Lines II

Which of the Quest Lines is your favorite? (The parenthetical comments are meant only to help jog your memory.)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the Quest Lines is your favorite? (The parenthetical comments are meant only to help jog your memory.)

• Main Quest Line (kill Alduin)
    • Companions (become Harbinger)
    • College of Winterhold (become Archmage)
    • Thieves' Guild (return the skeleton key)
    • Dark Brotherhood (kill the Emperor)
    • Civil War (help someone bring order to Skyrim)
    • Dawnguard (eliminate vampires/rule vampires)
    • Dragonborn (kill Miraak)
  2. 2. Which of the Radiant Quest Lines is your favorite? (The parenthetical material exists simply to jog your memory.)

• Main Quest (rebuild the Blades, kill Paarthurnax)
    • Companions (various hunting quests)
    • College of Winterhold (Novices' quests, Tolfdir's Alembic, various Magic School Ritual quests, etc.)
    • Thieves' Guild (Vex and Delvin's quests, City quests)
    • Dark Brotherhood (more assassinations)
    • Civil War (Choose this if you just don't know what the Radiant Quests are or if you think they all suck since there are no Civil War Radiant quests)
    • Dawnguard (various)
    • Dragonborn (various)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/10/2020 at 08:00 PM

16 hours ago, NickNozownik said:

The Dark Brotherhood but I'm not a murderer. Sometimes people trip over things and fall on my sword 38 times. Accidents happen. Must have been the wind, right?

How does one murder exactly? Their cause of death was the fact that they bleeded out not that they fell on your sword 38 times. So in the grand scheme of things isn't it a person's body that is the murderer? Ladies and gentleman I bring out the Chewbacca defense.

Now where did I put it?

Nevermind. Look at the monkey. Look at the silly monkey.?

4 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Free? Was the monkey ever free? Free the monkey!

Reveal hidden contents

Free the monkey from its mortal prison.

At first this was just a typo for tree, but now i realize something sinister has been uncovered. Monkeys are not indeed free, this is an intergalactic space invasion of evil demons through people to enslave monkeys and keep them from achieving enlightenment and tap water which...

TURN THE FREAKIN FROGS GAY!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT!?? THIS IS THEIR PLAN PEOPLE, THESE ARE DEMONS! WON'T YOU FIGHT FOR YOUR LIVES??!!!!

20 minutes ago, Mr.Otaku said:

At first this was just a typo for tree, but now i realize something sinister has been uncovered. Monkeys are not indeed free, this is an intergalactic space invasion of evil demons through people to enslave monkeys and keep them from achieving enlightenment and tap water which...

Hide contents

TURN THE FREAKIN FROGS GAY!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT!?? THIS IS THEIR PLAN PEOPLE, THESE ARE DEMONS! WON'T YOU FIGHT FOR YOUR LIVES??!!!!

giphy.gif

This this is bad. We need to save the water from the gay frogs.

Skyrim's plotlines tend to have great set-ups with little pay-off. That would be great were it a table top RPG was but it was a console game.

Even the best quests and characters are written as if they belong in a JRPG which ends after the credits run as opposed to a WRPG with a persistent world and no end sequence.

As it stands, I'd say that the most complete side quest which needs the least embellishment via mods is the Dark Brotherhood and its radiant quests due to its simplicity in concept and execution(no pun intended).

If the heads at Zenimax were smart, they would market the Creation Kit as being an essential part of BGS'  games rather than modding tools for dedicated users if they don't build some of its functionality into the games themselves like the Divinity: Original Sin games' Game Master Mode.

5 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Skyrim's plotlines tend to have great set-ups with little pay-off. That would be great were it a table top RPG was but it was a console game.

Even the best quests and characters are written as if they belong in a JRPG which ends after the credits run as opposed to a WRPG with a persistent world and no end sequence.

As it stands, I'd say that the most complete side quest which needs the least embellishment via mods is the Dark Brotherhood and its radiant quests due to its simplicity in concept and execution(no pun intended).

If the heads at Zenimax were smart, they would market the Creation Kit as being an essential part of BGS'  games rather than modding tools for dedicated users if they don't build some of its functionality into the games themselves like the Divinity: Original Sin games' Game Master Mode.

You are mistaking Bethesda's bad game design with a lack of freedom. I will admit having choices in a game and have them change the outcome is generally what differentiates games from other forms of media. Choices are a good thing for games but it isn't the only thing and too many can in fact be a bad thing. That is also what turns some people off from open world games like Skyrim. Life has enough choices to deal with no?

Nevertheless one must address the game's shortcomings before expanding the choices in game. Many story and game-play elements in Skyrim are inconsistent across the board. Mammoths are jumping 10,000 feet in the air, untrained citizens are fighting dragons, you could swear the courier is stalking you, carriage drivers are somehow fine without guards and the list goes on. Many of these issues are fixed with mods thank the gods but even those mods have issues themselves. This comes to my next point.

Unlike board games programming has no room for ambiguity. Simple code can have far reaching consequences in the long run. If there are no barriers in place people could I dunno create a sword powerful enough to crash the game by say using a particular alchemy, enchanting exploit.

1 hour ago, Darkpig said:

You are mistaking Bethesda's bad game design with a lack of freedom. I will admit having choices in a game and have them change the outcome is generally what differentiates games from other forms of media. Choices are a good thing for games but it isn't the only thing and too many can in fact be a bad thing. That is also what turns some people off from open world games like Skyrim. Life has enough choices to deal with no?

Nevertheless one must address the game's shortcomings before expanding the choices in game. Many story and game-play elements in Skyrim are inconsistent across the board. Mammoths are jumping 10,000 feet in the air, untrained citizens are fighting dragons, you could swear the courier is stalking you, carriage drivers are somehow fine without guards and the list goes on. Many of these issues are fixed with mods thank the gods but even those mods have issues themselves. This comes to my next point.

Unlike board games programming has no room for ambiguity. Simple code can have far reaching consequences in the long run. If there are no barriers in place people could I dunno create a sword powerful enough to crash the game by say using a particular alchemy, enchanting exploit.

I never made any mention of freedom in my comment whatsoever despite freedom being something that I make sure to reference at any given opportunity so that is not an error that I have committed at that moment in time. Perhaps the only error was in omission. 

Skyrim lacks proportionate depth to match its length.

If it had a beginning, middle and end, that lack of depth would possibly go unnoticed. A combination of relative brevity and a definitive conclusions certainly were of benefit to Squaresoft's best regarded classic games such as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy 6.

4 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

I never made any mention of freedom in my comment whatsoever despite freedom being something that I make sure to reference at any given opportunity so that is not an error that I have committed at that moment in time. Perhaps the only error was in omission.

Skyrim lacks proportionate depth to match its length.

If it had a beginning, middle and end, that lack of depth would possibly go unnoticed. A combination of relative brevity and a definitive conclusions certainly were of benefit to Squaresoft's best regarded classic games such as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy 6.

Generally when people talk about JRPGs they talk about the storycentric nature of it. With WRPGs it is the open ended nature of it. Now I know.

Also Hooray for Zoidberg!

The poll is now closed although the thread will remain open. I want to thank everyone who participated by voting and/or leaving comments.

I think the results are interesting. I, for one, would never have picked Dawnguard as the favorite when I posted the poll. To that point I want to again thank @Alessia Wellington for reminding me to include the DLC quest lines in the poll.

• 7 months later...

I think I've never noticed this thread :classic_unsure:

But top to bottom it's

1. main quest
  2. DG
  3. Dragonborn
  4. TG
  5. Companions and College
  6. CW
  7. Brotherhood

My ranking is a mixture between the story and the technical issues. E.g. CW has a good story in itself, but leads to nothing and is extremely badly done on the technical end.

The Dark Brotherhood is just another example of an extreme amount of wasted potential

Side quests

1. DG
  2. DB
  3. TG
  4. Companions
  5. College
  6. MQ
  7. Brotherhood

The CW SHOULD have soooo many side quests.. wasted potential again :classic_sad:

I guess I would have to go for the Main Quest then DG, the DB.

DawnGuard I would take over Dragon Born as you actually have something of a choice of sides and there is a female companion that won't marry you. It doesn't have much else to offer, tho' but at least at the end of these you're not suddenly burdened with more responsibilities that you will walk away from.

Completing the other Quests and I feel like Ron Weasley looking into that Mirror in whatever Harry Potter movie (the 2nd I think, since I can remember Richard Harris and he died after that one)

Look at me, I am the Harbinger of the Companions, Arch Mage of the College of Winterhold, the No. 1 Thieving scumbag in Riften and Primo Sociopath to the Dark Brotherhood (also, I hear dead people)

On top of this I am the last Dragonborn and the fate of the world rests on my shoulders.

I think I became the Arch Mage by casting only 3 spells; 1 to get entry, 1 to demonstrate wards and the last to break the wall in Saarthal.

"Wait, so on the grounds that I can cast Mage Light, Lesser Ward and Flames.. As well as swing a big sword, use a bow and point a staff a big stationary orb you want the rest of these spell slingers, that have been studying this shit for years, to call me 'Oh Captain, my Captain'? Don't be fucking stupid, what do I know about... Oh are these my new rooms? Ok whatever you say Psijic guy, I'll take the job."

"What was that Mother? You want the Brotherhood to brutally murder Maven Blackbriar and display her ravaged, naked corpse outside Riftens main gates? Well, you heard the old lady, get too it... What? The Thieves Guild? No, I run them too, I have them out selling bogus pension schemes in Solitude, they'll not be a problem... Sorry? She's Yarl of Riften? I know, guess whose fault that it is. Lets just say I'm... I mean, Mother is fixing a mistake."

Do you also end up in charge of the Bard's College? I don't remember.