Every time i un-equip or equip armor the skin on my character turns extremely bright/glossy/shiny/wet, what could be causing this issue?

It isn't any skin/body mods;

when i disable Racemenu from MO2 the issue fixes, unfortunately by doing so it breaks character customization. 

Anyone know exactly what could be causing this? maybe an ENB or ini text? 

I've been having this issue ever since I switched to SE several months ago. Happens with all bodies and skin textures, both with and without enb. Not only does the skin look like plastic, worst part is that the effect only gets applied to the body, so there's a visible seam on the neck, the wrists and the ankles.

I've reinstalled all of my mods several times now (not only because of this issue) and it's been the same every single time.

Already tried disabling Racemenu body overlays, didn't change anything. Didn't try without Racemenu, though.

What's really strange though is that I can't seem to find any mention of this problem outside of this thread.

Don't know if this is relevant, but I've checked some of the files of the presets causing this for me and in all cases I've found references to mods (Estrus for example; there's a reference  to a texture named "estrusfemalebody_d.dds" or something like that in the .jslot) that I don't use. 

12 hours ago, Duncan Idaho said:

Since updating skyrim + skse I've been having the glossy skin problem. I also believe it's presets but I'm using the same ones that I used before upgrading. It looks terrible, and it comes and goes. 

73835740_skinproblem.jpg.a882d06568c978a3b11889614f528d81.jpg

Have you tried saving a new preset and loading that? Does your skin still turn glossy?

3 hours ago, mitchdickmin said:

Don't know if this is relevant, but I've checked some of the files of the presets causing this for me and in all cases I've found references to mods (Estrus for example; there's a reference  to a texture named "estrusfemalebody_d.dds" or something like that in the .jslot) that I don't use. 

Have you tried saving a new preset and loading that? Does your skin still turn glossy?

Last night I switched from Demoniac to another skin and the problem went away. I chose the non-gloss option when I installed Demoniac so I'm not sure why it was causing it and I didn't have the issue before upgrading, maybe it wasn't Demoniac at all. It's Skyrim, who knows.

Soo...

"skinOverrides" : [
      {
         "firstPerson" : false,
         "slotMask" : 4,
         "values" : [
            {
               "data" : "textures\\actors\\character\\female\\estrusfemalebody_1_s.dds",
               "index" : 7,
               "key" : 9,
               "type" : 2
            }
         ]
      }
   ],

This is what breaks presets for me. Found this in all presets that cause my body to get glossy. Deleted it. Problem's gone.

6 hours ago, Mick1104 said:

Did you delete that paragraph from the preset, did it fix a existing save with issue?

Do have that in a couple of my presets no idea why.

thanks check see if can fix existing ones.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't fix existing saves. But you can always try to open Racemenu and reload your preset (not sure if that works) or use the simple (but somehow dirty) fix and just install whatever mod is missing. If it's the estrus body specular map, you could also try to copy your normal female body specular to textures\actors\character\female\estrusfemalebody_1_s.dds. That should work.

Same should apply to any other missing overlay from a preset.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2020 at 12:52 AM, mitchdickmin said:

This is what breaks presets for me. Found this in all presets that cause my body to get glossy. Deleted it. Problem's gone.

Thank you very much!!!I was getting extremely annoyed by this glossy-skin bug issue, which eventually started to corrupt my save game files.Couldn't even load most of the saves I was creating since this issue started.I was getting CTDs when attempting to load.Was going to reinstall if I didn't come across this thread.

I've been having the same problems and was able to find the lines in some of my jslots that mitchdickmin posted upthread. Removing them does stop the glossy skin and broken save issues in a new game for me, no luck rescuing existing saves. Just out of curiosity, has anyone else having this problem installed Evanescence Racemenu preset? There's a thread about this issue on the Nexus forums and it was suggested there that it might have been the initial cause, and I did have it installed. I removed it entirely just to be sure, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is using it and if there is a way to check for sure and see if that was the original culprit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This problem was giving me CTDs when changing clothes and on showracemenu though that could have been a different bug. Removing the skinOverrides doesn't fix existing games, but I changed the skinOverrides section to make it point to the original texture, and saved it in new copy of the old jslot:

{
{
"data" : "textures\\actors\\character\\female\\femalebody_1_s.dds",
}
]
}
],

Loading the new preset fixes the corrupted game, including CTDs, assuming you can get into racemenu.

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2020 at 10:49 AM, xsopht said:

This problem was giving me CTDs when changing clothes and on showracemenu though that could have been a different bug. Removing the skinOverrides doesn't fix existing games, but I changed the skinOverrides section to make it point to the original texture, and saved it in new copy of the old jslot:

{
{
"data" : "textures\\actors\\character\\female\\femalebody_1_s.dds",
}
]
}
],

Loading the new preset fixes the corrupted game, including CTDs, assuming you can get into racemenu.

i know this is kind of old but omg thx so much!!

I was having this problem but with a male character, happens that the "data" which the file needs to be pointed to was empty, poiting the right direction fixed the bug, hope more people find this thread.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 10:08 PM, Luka10 said:

so how do you fix this issue  i've seen it ona khajjit follower and my player model (Using Lykiaos) gets that glossy look whenever I put on clothes.

i could go into race menu to fix this issue but it comes back as soon as I equip clothes.

Having the same problem and it seems its not about presets this time.