New Site Layout

So is this going to be like YouTube, where the layout changes all the time for no good reason?

Had to fix the links in my signature, because the new changes broke them. Thanks for that. Also, now I can't tell just by a glance what topics do or do not have new posts in them. (Actually I can now, seems it just reset everything to not vewied. I am an idiot for not noticing until now.)

Edited by BaconMinion

OK, after much digging (just like work, sigh) I've sorted the site responsiveness issue I was having.

I checked my browser was working properly, check.

Logged on via vpn to work, where I control the dns, the proxies, and am sitting on the end of a pipe to the internet you wouldn't believe! (It services about 250,000 people). Poor response. Five seconds to display a page on that network is slow!

Glared suspiciously at the inordinate amount of javascript being executed.

Disabled javascript for LoversLab.

Back to normal. 5-10 seconds for a new page rather than 1 to 2 minutes. Almost as fast as the old site. Stopped the pointless cached content refreshes. I'm guessing those scripts force a reload to ensure the content is fresh.

Thing is, I have an older machine I use for browsing, email and file storage. It's old but bomb proof. My fast machines get used for games. The old LoversLab was fast and responsive on it. This is not.

I know you've worked damn hard on this Ashal, but I don't care for it myself. Still, at least disabling javascript means I can still attend.

Now if only I could get rid of the red javascript warning. I may have to hack about in grease monkey.

Edited by Symon

Works like a charm, except for some minor issues, which have already been addressed.

IPB is an investition for the future. I personally think IPB is the best forum software out there. It costs a lot of money, but not as much as vBulletin and doesn't need to hide from vB. Not at all. And I guess it will pay out in the future.

Great work, Ashal. Great work.

I like your layout a lot. Much nicer than before. Maybe the spacing is a bit too much. Before it was much easier to get a fast overview. Now there is much more scrolling.

But what is off (at least for me, and my regular browse to get an overview about possible FNIS issues), is the sort of the search results. When I search for a keyword, display by posts and sort by Update Time, then it will in addition be sorted by threads. And that's bad (for me), because I have to scroll past 9 month old posts in thread 1, before I get to newest post of thread 2.

I agree that this might be useful for the normal user, trying to get information about a certain subject. But for me it's horror.

Wouldn't a 3rd sort option be possible? 

EDIT: and a bug. When I pressed "Post" for this one, the message window did not disappear. So I pressed 2 more times. With the effect that I made a post with 3 times my post.

Edited by fore

I like the new layout and tools.  Great work.  One bug though, I had to request a password change, which was fine, but the password form does not allow password changes without changing your email as well.

If you leave the 'change email' field blank to just edit your password field, the form doesn't like that.  If you fill it with your current email, it doesn't like that either.  You can't update your password without actually putting a new email in as well.

Nice work with the site layout. I like the darker greys you used for making posts and pics stand out from the backdrop.

You've mentioned you'd like a new header image. I dug a few out from an old WIP file I made for someone else, but my Photoshop CS3 won't save any images to other formats ATM, or save anything for that matter, so I haven't been able to do any resizing. Here's a few suggestions:

border3.png

border2u.png

border1.png

(Okay, found a small problem with adding spoiler tags, but not a major issue....just have to pay attention where the cursor appears when you press Enter after the code, since your images pop up instead of the Image Location addresses you usually view inside the Spoiler tags.)

Still, like the changes you've done.... :cool:

Couple quick changes:

Rows of forums and topics that have no new replies now have a darker background to help distinguish them from rows that do have new replies.

Darkened the obscenely bright yellow Edit strapline

Added Latest posts sidebar to the index