ENBoost is causing crashes when loading save?

Darkpig

This has stumped me. Lately every time I load up a game with ENBoost it just crashes and goes back to my desktop. I haven't had this issue before. I can start new games no problem but when loading an existing save it crashes right on load up. I tried both the wrapper version and the injector version but I still have the issue.

1 hour ago, Darkpig said:

This has stumped me. Lately every time I load up a game with ENBoost it just crashes and goes back to my desktop. I haven't had this issue before. I can start new games no problem but when loading an existing save it crashes right on load up. I tried both the wrapper version and the injector version but I still have the issue.

From my blog on CTDs:

"Another common place to get CTDs is on loading a saved game. While many things, like bloat, can cause this issue it often can be resolved by adding another simple tool found here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/85443

Bloat is more complex and beyond what I intend to do in this blog at this time."

Check the size of your save files to see if you are getting bloat.

3 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

Too many animations? This typically happens when I have gone over animation count. You can test by running FNIS prior to loading the save, and that usually loads without a CTD, but you have to do that every time you load that save. This is why I toned down my animation count so that does not happen. If you don't have that issue, did you tailor your enblocal.ini to your system? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=815662314 under "Configuration". 

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

How do you think it is ENBoost causing the crashes?

This is a fresh install so no animations or anything. Aside from the game, and dlcs, there is the Alternate Start - Live Another Life, SKSE and the enboost files. The saves load just fine without it but with it nah.

3 hours ago, DesoRu said:

bad enblocal? try dis

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=0
PriorityMode=0
EnableUnsafeFixes=false

I'll try it.

Edit: Didn't work sadly

21 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

This is a fresh install so no animations or anything. Aside from the game, and dlcs, there is the Alternate Start - Live Another Life, SKSE and the enboost files. The saves load just fine without it but with it nah.

That isn't anything like what you wrote in the OP.

So:

Have you used ENBoost before, i.e. on the game(s) before you reinstalled?

If yes, then did you use the wrapper or the injector version?

Generally the wrapper version is good for most people.

If you can load without ENBoost but not with it then check and double-check your configuration. And you might want to double-check SKSE.ini too.

Do not, repeat do not, start making changes to ini files based on the opinion of some guy on a forum.

https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

42 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

That isn't anything like what you wrote in the OP.

So:

Have you used ENBoost before, i.e. on the game(s) before you reinstalled?

If yes, then did you use the wrapper or the injector version?

Generally the wrapper version is good for most people.

If you can load without ENBoost but not with it then check and double-check your configuration. And you might want to double-check SKSE.ini too.

Do not, repeat do not, start making changes to ini files based on the opinion of some guy on a forum.

https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

You mean what I didn't write. There are many things that I may have missed so I'm starting out simple.

I may have ripped out my entire Steam Skyrim directory as well as the files in my Documents folder because of this problem with ENBoost.:classic_rolleyes:

For a time I used the wrapper version and it worked. Now that I think about it why did I try the injector version knowing the wrapper version worked at one point?

I'll check out these links when I get the chance.

9 hours ago, Darkpig said:

It is possible to create CTD or failed game load with ENBoost:

CTD after LAL or after loading an early save:

[global]
usepatchspeedhackwithoutgraphics=true (CTD after using LAL bed if using ENBoost only and set this to false)
usedefferedrendering=false

Makes issues if you run ENBoost memory control and at the same time run Crash fixes memory control

[memory]
expandsystemmemoryx64=false

;⚠️crash fixes will take over this part, see next chapter

How to setup ENBoost with Crash fixes and SKSE.ini here:

Spoiler

What me helped with that problem was not to let enb calculate the available ram by itself because sometime it can not calculate and uses wrong parameters. On enbdev is a tool for calculating the available ram ( http://enbdev.com/download_vramsizetest.htm ). That result goes into enblocal.ini in VideoMemorySizeMb=.... And do not forget to set the  AutodetectVideoMemorySize=0 . BUt you can not use the result without change. WIN10 user must substract 350. Win7-users must substract 170. Due to an error in Windows 8 and 8.1 these users can not use more than 4Gbyte VRAM even when their GPU have more and that will be the max result vramsizetest will give you. You can use the result as it is given.

The size calculated by vramsizetest is normally greater than your real VRAM of the GPU. If the physical VRAM is full and the VideoMemorysizeMB-parameter is greater than the real VRAM ENB uses the system-memory to run additional ENB-tasks. It makes the system more stable.  Helpful when you have many animations and/or hires working. One more parameter that can help is EnableCompression=true but it can use stutter. A must is ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true if you got more than 4GB of Systemmemory. It activates a memory manager for skyrim.

8 hours ago, donttouchmethere said:

It is possible to create CTD or failed game load with ENBoost:

CTD after LAL or after loading an early save:

[global]
usepatchspeedhackwithoutgraphics=true (CTD after using LAL bed if using ENBoost only and set this to false)

Shoot. That was it. The speedhack was set to false by default and after setting it to true I stopped getting those crashes. I didn't know the lack of the patch would cause Skyrim to crash like this. I knew setting it to true prevented ENB presets from working but man I didn't think it would prevent the vanilla game from working.

10 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Shoot. That was it. The speedhack was set to false by default and after setting it to true I stopped getting those crashes. I didn't know the lack of the patch would cause Skyrim to crash like this. I knew setting it to true prevented ENB presets from working but man I didn't think it would prevent the vanilla game from working.

Awesome!

Now your my proof that it's not only me  ?

6 hours ago, Darkpig said:

6 hours ago, donttouchmethere said:

Awesome!

Now your my proof that it's not only me  ?

That mean a problem in the ENB configuration or a problem with the exact preset you are ussing.

When you put UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true you are disabling all the graphics processing in ENB.

If you put UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false and you get CTD something is bad configured.

Can be the parameters inside enblocal.ini or the parameters inside enbseries.ini or can be a bad fx file or a bad defined weather or a bad file inside the folder enbseries...

Other zone of problems is in the DirectX files and Visual C++ Runtime Libraries. If some is bad you can get CTD when enable ENB. This problem normally happend in Win10 but is not exclusive to Win10. I see some Win7 machines with that problems.

13 minutes ago, GenioMaestro said:

That mean a problem in the ENB configuration or a problem with the exact preset you are ussing.

When you put UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true you are disabling all the graphics processing in ENB.

If you put UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false and you get CTD something is bad configured.

Can be the parameters inside enblocal.ini or the parameters inside enbseries.ini or can be a bad fx file or a bad defined weather or a bad file inside the folder enbseries...

Other zone of problems is in the DirectX files and Visual C++ Runtime Libraries. If some is bad you can get CTD when enable ENB. This problem normally happend in Win10 but is not exclusive to Win10. I see some Win7 machines with that problems.

Lets say the enblocal and the enbseries is fresh out of the box and weathers are vanilla. If so  how do we fix Direct X and Visual C++? Do we re-download it or something?

40 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Lets say the enblocal and the enbseries is fresh out of the box and weathers are vanilla. If so  how do we fix Direct X and Visual C++? Do we re-download it or something?

For visual C++: I just update it, means I just download the newest version. I thought you get it with those win10 updates, but that's not true. So yes, download the new one and install it over the old one.

for direct X: good question, up until now I was just lucky? I remember I reinstalled it once, also you find a version in the skyrim folder.

44 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

can be a bad fx file or a bad defined weather

I hope I remember this if I ever have the same issue

I think it would be also bad if not all files from the wrapper version got copied over into the skyrim folder

that's normal for ENBoost installation, not sure what happens if you set usepatchspeedhackwithoutgraphics=false without all ENB files installed ?‍♂️

22 hours ago, Darkpig said:

I may have ripped out my entire Steam Skyrim directory as well as the files in my Documents folder because of this problem with ENBoost.:classic_rolleyes:

If you really have deleted your Skyrim folder you can not have trash from an older enb preset.

If you have tried some presets for try solve your problem revise you really not have any trash file.

If you continue having problems try reinstall:

DirectX (June 2010) --->same file for Win7, Win8 and Win10 in 32 and 64 bits

If problem persist:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 32 bits ---> Select your languaje

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 64 bits ---> Select your languaje

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 ---> Select your languaje ---> download and install x32 and x64 files

Restart the machine after installing all the Visual C++ Runtimes.

Making that I solve some CTD caused by ENB in Win7 machines.

EDIT: You must install the x32 and x64 versions because the operating system is x64 and need the x64 files but Skyrim is a 32 bits executable and need the x32 files.

You must instal Visual C++ 2010 Runtime because Skyrim is made with that version

You must instal Visual C++ 2013 Runtime because SKSE is made with that version

7 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Hmm. The links Genio provided seem to be down. I'll have to try again later.

That links go to the Official Microsoft Web Site and never can be down. Revise your configuration.

DirectX (June 2010) --->https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 32 bits ---> https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/download/details.aspx?id=5555

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 64 bits ---> https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/download/details.aspx?id=14632

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 ---> https://www.microsoft.com/es-ES/download/details.aspx?id=40784

On 11/8/2019 at 4:14 AM, Darkpig said:

did you have enb binary installed prior to this go around of setting up enboost?

On 11/10/2019 at 8:50 AM, Heroine of the Night said:

did you have enb binary installed prior to this go around of setting up enboost?

I think so. I installed these three things from my wrapper folder into my main Skyrim Folder:

d3d9.dll

enbhost.exe

enblocal.ini

6 hours ago, Darkpig said:

I think so. I installed these three things from my wrapper folder into my main Skyrim Folder:

d3d9.dll

enbhost.exe

enblocal.ini

if you had previously tried to install enb binary, try going to skyrim folder, the one in steam folders where your data folder and enb stuff is, and take the folder named enb series and place it on desktop temporarily, and try going into game, with that folder outside of your skyrim. 

Failure to remove specific folder on my end did not result in ctds, on my end it kept me from going into game.Easy enough to try real quick.

9 hours ago, Heroine of the Night said:

if you had previously tried to install enb binary, try going to skyrim folder, the one in steam folders where your data folder and enb stuff is, and take the folder named enb series and place it on desktop temporarily, and try going into game, with that folder outside of your skyrim. 

Failure to remove specific folder on my end did not result in ctds, on my end it kept me from going into game.Easy enough to try real quick.

Removed the enbseries folder and I still crash on load up.

2 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Removed the enbseries folder and I still crash on load up.

If you are trying to get rid of a previous installation of ENBoost you will need to remove enbhost.exe, d3d9.dll and enblocal.ini. If you previously had a preset installed (and you must have to have an enbseries folder) then you need to also remove whatever files and folders it came with.

ENBoost will not cause CTDs. Only an incorrectly configured ENBoost can do that. If you mess up with configuring the enblocal.ini file then you can have problems.

18 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Also do you know where my Microsoft Visual C++ folders might be? I tried replacing the contents of my directX folder in my main Skyrim folder but it didn't help.

1. You don't need to know where the  Microsoft Visual C++ folders are, just install them and let them go to the default location.

2. You don't replace the contents of the DirectX folder. You install/reinstall DirectX 9. Skyrim uses DX9, other apps on your machine will be using other versions of DX.

Different versions of MS C++ and DX can co-exist side by side without problems.

16 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

If you are trying to get rid of a previous installation of ENBoost you will need to remove enbhost.exe, d3d9.dll and enblocal.ini. If you previously had a preset installed (and you must have to have an enbseries folder) then you need to also remove whatever files and folders it came with.

ENBoost will not cause CTDs. Only an incorrectly configured ENBoost can do that. If you mess up with configuring the enblocal.ini file then you can have problems.

1. You don't need to know where the  Microsoft Visual C++ folders are, just install them and let them go to the default location.

2. You don't replace the contents of the DirectX folder. You install/reinstall DirectX 9. Skyrim uses DX9, other apps on your machine will be using other versions of DX.

Different versions of MS C++ and DX can co-exist side by side without problems.

Truth be told I just barely tried it but my computer wont let me automatically install MS C++ because apparently I have the latest version already. Strangely the 2013 version works.

741810819_Screenshot(3).png.cd42e304265de2412f06d80c0ed3d423.png

As for the enblocal I don't think I have a problem. What do you think?

enblocal.ini

Archived