Admittedly, I am kind of lost on how to really "begin" using this mod/building...

I can get friendly with chaurus for example -  got EC+ / things in the dark/other slave mods for that.

I just gave birth to 15 parasitic eggs (ec+)  so hoping some hatch...
I see some charus glowing green (which i assume is courtesy of CL)

Q1:  as it relates to CL, how does one begin growing the hive?
Q2  molting, and the greenish hue specifically, you mention it takes 3-5 min to complete,   do i have to physically be there for it- vs in a diff load door?

I think- if i follow the life cycle part of the description and read into it(correctly)...

basically, I just grab a chair, grab an ale, and kind of watch the eggs i mentioned above hatch, and just let time pass and watch.. maybe at some point mate with dominance winners?

24 minutes ago, Sillius_Maximus said:

I see some charus glowing green (which i assume is courtesy of CL)

Yes.

24 minutes ago, Sillius_Maximus said:

Q1:  as it relates to CL, how does one begin growing the hive?

CL handles life cycle for existing chaurus.  When they become reapers, they fight one another.

25 minutes ago, Sillius_Maximus said:

Q2  molting, and the greenish hue specifically, you mention it takes 3-5 min to complete,   do i have to physically be there for it- vs in a diff load door?

Depends on a lot of factors under the hood of your Skyrim install and the way you play (which areas are still in memory for instance, which depends on how many areas you visit in a given timespan/play session).  Strictly, you don't have to be present.  If you are present, the odds of them "remembering" their previous selves is better.

27 minutes ago, Sillius_Maximus said:

basically, I just grab a chair, grab an ale, and kind of watch the eggs i mentioned above hatch

In theory, that will happen, but EC+ growth rate is absurdly slow for any hive building based on it.  In testing, I've never seen an EC+ hatchling become a grown chaurus.  Not even close.  Keep in mind I haven't touched anything directly chaurus related in about a year, so updates to EC+ may have changed that.

29 minutes ago, Sillius_Maximus said:

and just let time pass and watch.. maybe at some point mate with dominance winners?

That part will happen with any non-EC+ chaurus that begin as chaurus (workers) or reapers.

Sorry- let me drill down a little more on one or two of my questions..

I disabled EC+ pregnancy at least  in the MCM..  (so, shouldn't have any pregnancies?).
I also used the cheat option in your MCM...
Saved..
Entered gloomreach.

I mated a few times, noticed one of the times the mating happened, its kind of like the charus pulled a egg cluster out...  (then the egg cluster disappeared)..  does that cluster come from your mod? (if so, why does it dissapear?  (dont hate me, but im using this on SSE :P)

gloomreach may not be the best hive to start with but,   im guessing your mod doesnt have a "pregnancy" aspect to it?  so growing the hive is 
Actual mating (so "sex experience")  + Implied pregnancy?  (meaning at some point new nymphs pop up as a result of the sex, its just they dont come rolling out the vagina so to speak..)

Or- sorry- feel kind of dumb and brainfarty atm, but...  

Im in gloomreach, I have your mod and requirements installed... EC is basically "off"  ...  how do i actually grow the hive (which seems to consist of alot of egg clusters and 2 generic worker chaurus?

55 minutes ago, Sillius_Maximus said:

the charus pulled a egg cluster out...  (then the egg cluster disappeared)..

That is the animation, not my mod.

55 minutes ago, Sillius_Maximus said:

im guessing your mod doesnt have a "pregnancy" aspect to it?

Not yet

56 minutes ago, Sillius_Maximus said:

EC is basically "off"  ...  how do i actually grow the hive

There isn't a direct mechanism for that yet (and likely won't be for quite a while).

• 1 month later...

I didn't chime in much on this mod until now but since my Parasites mod has a quest to allow the player to become a Chaurus Queen Hybrid, I thought I would say hi.

If there is anything I can do to make Parasites more compatible with Chaurus Life once the player has become a Queen, I would be happy to.

If you don't mind some spoilers, I have a wiki page about what the Queen transformation entails:

https://github.com/SkyrimLL/SkLLmods/wiki/Parasites:-The-Chaurus-Queen

and another about my version of the Lore (mainly about the origin of the Chaurus and the true nature of their interaction with the Falmers):

https://github.com/SkyrimLL/SkLLmods/wiki/Parasites:-Lore 

72850_20210126144606_1.png

TESV 2021-01-22 13-01-03.png

2 hours ago, DeepBlueFrog said:

my version of the Lore

It would be a minor bonus if somehow this could fit in Chaur Tegoth somewhere along the line.

The "truths" are compatible with Things in the Dark's plotline, but could create an alternate understanding of the events taking place.

And, TitD is an enormous mod, with a chaurus-centric story, Chaurus farming, genetic manipulation, and ... essentially ... a plan to release a giant Chaurus "god" from a Dwemer-made containment. It sounds ... awfully like the same things described in the Parasites lore. Like, but not identical.

It would be great if there was a "meta-lore" that explained how this all fits together.

8 hours ago, Lupine00 said:

It would be a minor bonus if somehow this could fit in Chaur Tegoth somewhere along the line.

The "truths" are compatible with Things in the Dark's plotline, but could create an alternate understanding of the events taking place.

And, TitD is an enormous mod, with a chaurus-centric story, Chaurus farming, genetic manipulation, and ... essentially ... a plan to release a giant Chaurus "god" from a Dwemer-made containment. It sounds ... awfully like the same things described in the Parasites lore. Like, but not identical.

It would be great if there was a "meta-lore" that explained how this all fits together.

I haven't tried Things in the Dark because of the huge warning on the download page about being full of bugs.

I spend enough time troubleshooting my own mods... last thing I need is someone else's mod to troubleshoot :)

I tried and uninstalled A Forsworn Story for the same reason.

How is From The Deep by the way? Is it stable or does it still have issues?

As far as the Lore is concerned, I left plenty of room for different interpretations.

My own story is based on a difference of interpretation. Vulthuryol is supposed to be a dragon, but turns out to be the Chaurus Queen stuck between worlds after an attempt from the Dwemers to open a portal to another dimension.

Creating a giant chaurus in a dwemer containment device could follow in the same story. Someone found notes from the dwemers and decided to pick up where they left and experiment more on the chaurus.

1 hour ago, DeepBlueFrog said:

about being full of bugs

It assuredly is full of bugs.

Even with the big fix that was done to it, and the fixes I did on top, it's still very buggy, and impossible without setstaging certain quests.

And I never got around to posting that "translation" of it to English as we know it.

I haven't forgotten it though. I will circle around to that.

I haven't tried FtD in a long time, so no fresh info. If I had to guess, it will be broken as usual.

In TitD, Chaur Tegoth "falls to earth" somehow. But it's not well explained by design.

Parts of CT are dispersed, weakening it. It was then contained by the Dwemer in a "temple".

You go on quests to get the missing parts of CT and make it whole again, then interfere with the containment chamber.

It gets out and ... you battle against it at the end, and end up destroyed on another planet, or you die and are reborn somehow, or both, my memory is fuzzy.

Or you stay on its side and become CT's puppet queen of Ibn, which you'd think was the obvious choice for most players who just spent about six weeks working towards that goal. Why you'd fight CT at the end is beyond me, but ... it's an option.

It's a big mod though, and has all the kinds of things parasites does. Including multiple quests to infect others with mind control parasites. A thing inserted into you. A whole guild of mutators. A quest to restore the original Falmer race. It's got a lot of threads there.

Also a job where you're a lowly chaurus herder, another where you're used for breeding. It just goes on, in every direction. One thing is that from becoming a "Pure Falmer" you are non-hostile to chaurus, and they are everywhere. It's an under-used feature in the mod.

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty, not trying to step on your toes, or squander this mod, as I really do like the idea and want to see it grow, perhaps you should confine the mod area to a certain space, be it vanilla or mod created, to develop and apply this mod, as I would assume that injecting code into all vanilla chaurus would cause any number of untold bugs and issues. Confining it to a singular area would also, I assume, help you flesh out exactly what you want to do with the mod. Again, not criticizing, just hoping to take some stress off.

21 minutes ago, soldier847 said:

In all honesty, not trying to step on your toes, or squander this mod, as I really do like the idea and want to see it grow, perhaps you should confine the mod area to a certain space, be it vanilla or mod created, to develop and apply this mod, as I would assume that injecting code into all vanilla chaurus would cause any number of untold bugs and issues. Confining it to a singular area would also, I assume, help you flesh out exactly what you want to do with the mod. Again, not criticizing, just hoping to take some stress off.

No offense meant, but confining it to a certain area would have been useless.  I don't confine my play to one area because I don't use Skyrim just as a sex simulator.  I travel, explore, venture out.  This is meant to be useful everywhere a chaurus might be encountered.  "Injecting code" into all chaurus would be an issue, sure.  Thankfully, that isn't what I did.  I altered levelled lists to make them appear in different forms, and each had a spell attached that governed their functions.

This isn't an ideal way, and if I had to do it again, my approach would be different, like a maintenance quest to register and check on affected chaurus (or werewolves, or minotaur, or dire wolves, or whatever) and update their functions as needed.  All variables would be stored as faction data, so a cleaning/shapechange of the creature would leave its values intact.

If/when I get around to this again, that's how it'll be set up.

No promises on when (or if).

1 hour ago, Seijin8 said:

All variables would be stored as faction data

StorageUtil is usually better for that sort of thing.

You can store arrays. Performs well, doesn't suffer weird cross-core race conditions, saves for you automatically, requires no ESP changes to add new variables, and invisible to vanilla.

18 minutes ago, Lupine00 said:

StorageUtil is usually better for that sort of thing.

You can store arrays. Performs well, doesn't suffer weird cross-core race conditions, saves for you automatically, requires no ESP changes to add new variables, and invisible to vanilla.

Not manipulable by console, not usable as a condition check.

Very few things can be accessed universally from script, console and data and also be specific to an individual NPC.  Faction IMO is the best option.

3 hours ago, Seijin8 said:

not usable as a condition check

Certainly a concern for dialog and AI packages.

However, those are the places you'll run into the afore mentioned cross-core race conditions that will sink days of your time chasing bugs that only occur for some users, or only when other mods create loading that results in Papyrus distributed across more threads, or only in SE.

I just ripped out a ton of factions because statically adding an NPC to a faction means you have edits on that NPC that turn them into a merge nuisance for everyone.

That might not be so much of an issue for a chaurus, or maybe it is? I wouldn't know what you plan to do to them at a low level (or other NPCs around them, such as Falmer).

14 hours ago, Lupine00 said:

cross-core race conditions

Solved (as much as an unknown modding environment on the user's system allows anyway) by having only two possible write situations (one case of self-update, triggered by events, and another global maintenance function in the case of a "clean and rebuild" event, triggered by a quest versioning mismatch) and everything else is read-only (including a part of the global maintenance that would keep an internal record of who/what was tracked and its last reported level).  These wouldn't need to be updated frequently, and would grow by fairly small increments, so accuracy wouldn't be crucial.

14 hours ago, Lupine00 said:

That might not be so much of an issue for a chaurus, or maybe it is? I wouldn't know what you plan to do to them at a low level (or other NPCs around them, such as Falmer).

The factions would mainly be for condition checks, either for spell effects, packages or dialogue.  High levels of accuracy wouldn't be needed and "incorrect" events would be largely invisible to the player at any rate.

In the case of Chaurus, an example of what this would be used for is tracking time in current form, where an active effect increases this value based on a time increment determined by a global variable, and if it hits a specified value, the active effect pings the global controller to say it is ready to molt into next form.  The global controller looks to see if the player is in the same area, and if so, initiates a high-fidelity (interactable) version of this transformation, else it happens instantly and "off-camera".

Other factions would include a chaurus/PC/NPC's hive status and role, all used as condition checks for packages and scenes.

Falmer might notice if a hive's level of independence started to increase, or if the hive's behavior started to otherwise shift, and their reactions would vary based on their available manpower.  They may simply allow the hive to do what it wants (Frostflow being a good example of this, too few Falmer present to control that hive), or may directly rein in the behaviors they don't like (Chillwind Depths being an example of this type hive) which could include culling offenders.

Anyway, right now all my similar testing is with werewolves and dire wolf packs.  Same concepts, at their core.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 9:49 PM, Seijin8 said:

Solved (as much as an unknown modding environment on the user's system allows anyway) by having only two possible write situations (one case of self-update, triggered by events, and another global maintenance function in the case of a "clean and rebuild" event, triggered by a quest versioning mismatch) and everything else is read-only (including a part of the global maintenance that would keep an internal record of who/what was tracked and its last reported level).  These wouldn't need to be updated frequently, and would grow by fairly small increments, so accuracy wouldn't be crucial.

The factions would mainly be for condition checks, either for spell effects, packages or dialogue.  High levels of accuracy wouldn't be needed and "incorrect" events would be largely invisible to the player at any rate.

In the case of Chaurus, an example of what this would be used for is tracking time in current form, where an active effect increases this value based on a time increment determined by a global variable, and if it hits a specified value, the active effect pings the global controller to say it is ready to molt into next form.  The global controller looks to see if the player is in the same area, and if so, initiates a high-fidelity (interactable) version of this transformation, else it happens instantly and "off-camera".

Other factions would include a chaurus/PC/NPC's hive status and role, all used as condition checks for packages and scenes.

Falmer might notice if a hive's level of independence started to increase, or if the hive's behavior started to otherwise shift, and their reactions would vary based on their available manpower.  They may simply allow the hive to do what it wants (Frostflow being a good example of this, too few Falmer present to control that hive), or may directly rein in the behaviors they don't like (Chillwind Depths being an example of this type hive) which could include culling offenders.

Anyway, right now all my similar testing is with werewolves and dire wolf packs.  Same concepts, at their core.

are you planning to make it fun in the sexual aspect for straight male or futa players(who like to do the fucking instead of being fucked) like by making female Chaurus that the player can bond with an fuck/breed and impregnate them instead of getting pregnant while helping it become the Queen/Tyrant an controlling the rest through her?(basically being coming the king of them)

Edited by DragonkingKyo
7 hours ago, DragonkingKyo said:

are you planning to make it fun in the sexual aspect for straight male or futa players(who like to do the fucking instead of being fucked) like by making female Chaurus that the player can bond with an fuck/breed and impregnate them

Simple answer: No.  What you are asking would take hundreds of hours, and that isn't my kink.

At this stage I'm not committing to anything until we see what the anniversary edition is going to be.

Edited by Seijin8
I was being an asshole and the poster didn't do anything to deserve that.
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Senji,

I have a question about your scripts and overwrite patches. Particularly for Apropos2, I see you were able to increase the character limit from 400 to 500 (I know it doesn't stick). I've been looking in the config file for where that is changed and updated & I can't seem to determine. Conventional wisdom would suggest here, but after changing the values, saving the file I see no change in the MCM or statically. Any suggestions on how you went about that change. Is it something more complex. I couldn't get into the actual .pex files for editing thats out of my depth. But I thought if you had the time & know-how you could advise.
image.png.9b72bba3cd9c739188ba9b46fd4882c8.png

5 hours ago, Szlordrin said:

Hey Senji,

I have a question about your scripts and overwrite patches. Particularly for Apropos2, I see you were able to increase the character limit from 400 to 500 (I know it doesn't stick). I've been looking in the config file for where that is changed and updated & I can't seem to determine. Conventional wisdom would suggest here, but after changing the values, saving the file I see no change in the MCM or statically. Any suggestions on how you went about that change. Is it something more complex. I couldn't get into the actual .pex files for editing thats out of my depth. But I thought if you had the time & know-how you could advise.
image.png.9b72bba3cd9c739188ba9b46fd4882c8.png

Trying to remember, but I don't think I did anything else to that.  I eventually modified the flash files for it as well, but Gooser's permissions don't allow for sharing.  Sorry, but I haven't used Apropos for a long while now, and I really don't recall.

• 2 months later...