Skyrim SE for Beginners - V 3.2.6 (3BBB / HDT-SMP / HPH)

Looking at the option for autum colors in the install for Green and Lush Aspen trees.  Too bad it can change according to the time of year.  Maybe in TES6 (but probably not even then I'd guess).   OTOH I've already had some script lag and VRAM issues so if that was an option I probably couldn't use it anyway.

I believe Skyrim is supposed to start in mid-August (well Last Seed, but its the 8th month), so I'll probably go with the green version.  Since its just different textures (or at least I think it is) I suppose I could reinstall when it gets to fall in the game, then run Dyndolod again, but that work would probably only be worth it if everything changed not just these trees.

9 minutes ago, axz2 said:

Looking at the option for autum colors in the install for Green and Lush Aspen trees.  Too bad it can change according to the time of year.  Maybe in TES6 (but probably not even then I'd guess).   OTOH I've already had some script lag and VRAM issues so if that was an option I probably couldn't use it anyway.

I believe Skyrim is supposed to start in mid-August (well Last Seed, but its the 8th month), so I'll probably go with the green version.  Since its just different textures (or at least I think it is) I suppose I could reinstall when it gets to fall in the game, then run Dyndolod again, but that work would probably only be worth it if everything changed not just these trees.

It doesn't say in the guide, but you're expected to know and not tick and install that option since further down the list you're presented with another similar option. I didn't know and made the same mistake you were about to. Had to reinstall.

Edited by Nelmas

Post #3 has been thinned out drastically and most entries are now part of the guide.

But the limit to 20 pics per post is a real PITA! So i couldn't move everything up without crossing that limit (DynDOLOD alone would use eight slots). And i'm not starting to use words to describe the differences of bark...

Spoiler

Bark.jpg.4f39fa23b39cab5446cfb4d5b2a66c8c.jpg

And now i'm off to get some food and coffee, and maybe more sleep... The last three days have been exhausting...

39 minutes ago, kackhaufen213 said:

Would I be able to run 4k textures in average with a RX 6800 XT?

Should work fine (i'm running a mix of 2-4k with an 570).

But i still recommend a mix depending on the size of an object, how close you get to it and its details. Water, buildings, trees, etc. will benefit from high textures (to get rid of tiling), smaller ones (like candles, rings, etc.) will be fine with smaller textures.

In the guide i tried to balance that...

Spoiler

This is a mix of 2k and 4k

1131144556_SkyrimSE2021-10-0109-53-19.jpg.cd45e6075b9dc3440818bccf0e51cf7f.jpg

For skin and armor/weapons i'd go as high as possible. You'll see them a lot so having high quality textures with those will improve the visuals of the game (but arn't that good for the FPS ?).

Updated the entries for:

High Poly Head

ENB Light

For 'Fertility Mode' i'm still using the old pictures. Got to see if i have to update them, although the used setting should be clear.

Edited by Aylis

I haven't used bashed patches before.  Just set up my first one.  Took a long time.  I saw a mod that I want to add after running the bashed patch.  It adds a few rings that weaken followers (either offense and defense or just offense) when you give them a ring.  Since I'm going to run with more than one follower I don't want combat to be too easy with my followers just wiping out the enemy quickly.  Its an LE mod Ashien's Cursed Rings, but supposedly it works fine in SE.  Do I have to redo the bashed patch if I add it?  What about if I change the mod I'm using to change the appearance of a follower, changing to a new Serana or Auri replacer or change skin textures (for example swapping out Bjiin Skiing for Aylis Skin)?

Edited by axz2

@axz2

There's a simple rule to the bashed patch: when in doubt rerun it!

The few minutes you possibly waste doing so is way better than wasting hours trying to find the cause and then fix an annoying bug... But textures (without an ESP/ESL) are usually safe. 

Two examples why this 'shell texturing' doesn't work:

Spoiler

913516969_STDeer.jpg.4888acf96125fc0eeb74891d7dc54328.jpg

465935767_STWolf.jpg.bb29b637b11facb1556d9c148f9a4fc6.jpg

In both cases (three if you include bears) they look fantastic further away, but as soon as you get closer the hair/fur falls apart.

If we had some sort of LOD for this then it might actually work. But as it is now i can't include it (next time 'Northern Bears' will be removed too).

Dirt and Blood - New Dirt Textures is looking great and will replace the other textures.

Same goes for Real Rabbits HD those will replace the old ones.

Edited by Aylis

Hey. Under Textures > WiZkiD Signs you say Activate the option for 'LoS II' which I'm guessing stands for Lanterns of Skyrim II, but we don't Have Lanterns of Skyrim installed. Is this still valid?

Edited by Nelmas
33 minutes ago, Nelmas said:

Hey. Under Textures > WiZkiD Signs you say Activate the option for 'LoS II' which I'm guessing stands for Lanterns of Skyrim II, but we don't Have Lanterns of Skyrim installed. Is this still valid?

Last Update: 07 Oct 2021

Regarding updates to the list

Page #1 is always the most current official release.

Edited by Aylis
2 hours ago, Nelmas said:

EDIT: Getting a clear and useful answer from you is like listening to a politician talk.

Yes, as the last update was:

Last Update: 07 Oct 2021

Yes, as

Page #1 is always the most current official release.

Is it now clear enough? Or do you need an additional explanation?

If you want to piss me off you're on the right track! 

Edited by Aylis

image.png.5aec32d05a3eccf1d7f910d97c7d9eac.png

EDIT: Getting a clear and useful answer from you is like listening to a politician talk.

bruh

Removing the (Optional) from Improved Hearthfire Lighting SE.

Together with the new candle light the lighting isn't overly bright anymore and the added shadows make it more realistic.

Spoiler

The house is still unfinished, but i hope the pics are still good enough.

ScreenShot1645.jpg.891254dc7a56441fe8390efcf06e25ef.jpg

707609853_SkyrimSE2021-10-0723-39-46.jpg.be1892ac1b2b872c73b3d71db39d8a1f.jpg

The removal of 'Improved Hearthfire Lighting SE' does only one thing, and thats the removal of most of the the shadows. The lighting stays the same.

@wollboi

I havn't updated yet, so i can only guess.

Whats your setting for the grass cache? 'DynDOLODGrassMode = 1' or 'DynDOLODGrassMode = 2'? The second one does, after i corrected a mistake, need quite some horsepower and i had to reset it for my system to 1.

Edited by Aylis
Added another pic
3 hours ago, Nelmas said:

Since LOS is a lighting thing.. look under lighting and weather section. It's broken into sections for a reason. Areas section cover wide areas, like making the area around whiterun a forest rather than a savanna. Lovers Lab section is obviously the sex parts. If you don't want the sex parts, skip the entire section, and remove any mods that needs sexlab as a master.  Most people will download and install a section then do test runs. Rather than doing that i would suggest you download and install everything you wish to (if you do not want to use LOS, then don't, but don't install patches for it either) if you think the pickaxe looks fine in 564kb then skip it, etc. 

The guide is pretty simple. Only check boxes you are told to. install the mods as listed, do not use loot, to download the current mod list should take about 14 hours (if you pay the nexus folks for the premium it drops it a bit. Last i checked it was 70.00 for lifetime, it may be different now.)

I've re-installed a lot of mods because i picked the wrong options, and didn't figure it out until i hit launch and got a ctd with a warning. There's also a few mods i run that aylis does not, such as the creatures stuff that was removed, or complete race overhauls, or flying, just follow the guide as is and your skyrim will be pretty, if the guide makes no mention of specific options, then it's your choice. The only way your install is wrong is if you can't play. Right now i'm chasing a blue wall issue with certain walls in forts, They should be there even in the base game so they shouldn't be blue, but they are. I'm thinking lawbringer is the culprit but i will need to start a new game with it off to check. And it's not that important to me. 

So relax and just follow the guide. ask a few questions and just remember, even if aylis changes a section after you have done it, you do not need to redo that section, You can roll with what you have already. 

2 hours ago, wollboi said:

@Nelmas If the guide says to check a box, check the box. Also, insulting the person who manages the guide while asking for help is pretty stupid.

Dyndolod update did in fact magically fix my error. I'm blaming Windows at this point.

It's always windows to blame.. remember. "i didn't say it was your fault, just that i am going to blame you."?

8 hours ago, axz2 said:

I haven't used bashed patches before.  Just set up my first one.  Took a long time.  I saw a mod that I want to add after running the bashed patch.  

how? scroll to the bottom where it shows the list of esp and tell it to rebuild bashed.esp as far as skin etc if it doesn't have an esp  like "aylis skin" you can switch them out at will and no rebuild for the bashed is needed. 

You can run that mod without bashing to test it out but if is going to stay long term i would bash it.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:35 PM, bandygirl1 said:

/shrugs

I'm running a 3080 Founders edition and haven't had any problems. 

I know there have still been reports, and we've all been very vigilant because of it, but so far none of us have had any issues *knocks on wood*.

I've ordered a prebuilt desktop with a RTX3080 to replace my crashed boat anchor.  What kind of performance are you getting with Skyrim SE?  And what level of textures are you using, 2k or 4k? lastly, what issues are you referring to, hot vram?

Maybe it's time to pull off the 'for beginners' label?  Beginners can't go back and forth through a constantly changing mod list.  They just can't.  They are not stupid or lazy - really! - they're just ignorant.  This is not a personal failing.  To truly address beginners, you have to:

1 - Keep it linear.  Each step clearly stated, one at a time, in appropriate order, explanations where appropriate, and some sort of checklist available for reference. (cf. Lexy builds)

2 - Not have rolling changes.  Only insert completed updates.

3 - Someone(s)  (not the curator) needs to be a patient buffer for what the 'cognoscenti' might deem a stupid question.

4 - There really are no stupid questions.  If something was misunderstood there is at least a 50% chance it wasn't clear to begin with.

Just my 2c, apologies where deserved.

Edited by Temphyx

@Aylis Grass was set to 2. I'll try running it as 1. Should the "Mode" by set to 1 in DynDOLOD if I change it in the Grass text file?

Also, when do you recommend running the grass cache script? I ran it in between TexGen and DynDOLOD, as that's where it is in the list.

Edited by wollboi
56 minutes ago, remodel said:

I've ordered a prebuilt desktop with a RTX3080 to replace my crashed boat anchor.  What kind of performance are you getting with Skyrim SE?  And what level of textures are you using, 2k or 4k? lastly, what issues are you referring to, hot vram?

From my little experience over the past couple of days the grass cache makes a huge difference on performance. All my micro stuttering was gone with mostly 2K's. The did return a bit after I swapped some of the bigger texture mods from 2K to 4K. But it's nothing that's bothers me. My GPU is a RTX 2070 Super.

One little problem I have is lights flickering - probably from the ENB? Sometimes the whole screen gets a bit brighter for a second or so than it returns to normal. Sometimes without moving the camera sometimes with. Anyone any idea?

Edited by Tops34