Why the Security Captcha?

PutuPisReal

We had some serious DDoS attacks that make the site unavailable for long time, and some of the member got their password brute forced.

Among the other shields, the captcha made the attacks almost stopped.

I know there are other options for stopping bots besides the pictures that Captcha uses, but I can't think of any that are better for people with serious visual problems. In fact the one that comes readily to mind would actually be worse because it uses randomized letters and numbers on a monochrome or wildly contrasting background. What LL is using is one of the better--visually speaking--options. Security- and anonymity-wise, that's another story.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:13 PM, donttouchmethere said:

How did you keep such firm breasts all the while you are 24/7 logged in on LL, in the middle of the woods, while hunting... something ?

??‍♀️??

I'm here almost every day, except I am on vacation or for a few days on the way.
but quite sure not 24/7, already long no more, then I would not have time to the play! :classic_wink::classic_laugh:

Some other Skyrim related mod site (which shall not be named here) is having captchas at login without relying on google.

I don't know if google is their primary craptcha but at least as a secondary they have one that his 100% delivered by their own ressources.

@Ashal I don't know about the amount of effort to get such thing running on your own, but if it is in reasonable range, If woud like to suggest a switch :classic_smile:, please. ( and get rid again of g**gle )

First of all my virus protection won't let me stay logged on to any site, it will put everything active back into hibernation. These pics are so grainy and nearly 8 bit, and the option with headphones doesn't work. It took me ten minutes to log on man, I wouldn't log in at all if I could download WITHOUT logging in. Dilemmas dilemmas, I guess it could be worse no?

On 2/14/2019 at 6:40 PM, PutuPisReal said:

I have pigmentary glaucoma and those small, shitty pics they use kill my eyes.

Your Eyes aren't the issue here, these Images are small, un-sharp, noisy, and have the Resolution of a broken Webcam of the early 2000's in fast-mode (don't ask)

My Eyes are perfectly fine, and i am viewing them on a rather large Screen, still takes me a while to figure out WTF i am actually looking at,

and if that tree-pixel-blob is what i am suppose to be looking for.

Whoever created this particular Captcha-Plugin deserves to be flogged on a daily basis for being purposely annoying.

On the other Hand... that Person might even enjoy being publicly flogged, must have been self-torture to even make it in the first place.

Maybe the Site Admin will eventually find a better Solution / alternative Way.

at least if recaptcha is enough to block , it woud be much better than website applying some cloudflare anti-ddos mechanism such like the creation kit wiki website,  where u will have to wait for a couple of seconds before seeing the content,

that will be pretty upset for user experience right ?  :)but that perhaps is one of the only few effective aways to avoid a small none scalable server went down from over traffic.  big server will cost a lot of money keep running alive. 

Archived