Thanks for making this! I enjoyed your Skyrim mod Devious Cidhna. However, I can't seem to start this mod.

If I have already cleared Corvega and it hasn't respawned, how do I start this mod? I put my weapons in a settlement container and ventured out. But all the raiders are still hostile.

23 hours ago, stobor said:

The main quest's start trigger is a location change event (returning to Sanctuary after the initial rebuilding, or alternately arriving in Lexington for the first time).  I never do Start-Enabled Quests, as they make play-testing much more annoying.  But the quest can also be manually started from console without any trouble; it really doesn't have any hard dependencies.

I get what you are saying about start-enabled quests re: testing, but dialogue quests like this are really lightweight, and the start requirements are inconvenient if the user installs this into an existing save or if they are using an alternate start mod.

There's also a location change needed (any change, no specific place) after stowing weapons; that triggers the prep work (puts the character into CaptiveFaction, resets state variables to defaults, etc.).  Because I didn't want the quest to be listening for every inventory-change event in the whole game (ugh!).

Yeah, that part makes a lot of sense.  I like how that is implemented.

One thing I might suggest, is to implement a function that does a fast-start for becoming a slave.  I.e. it would remove the player's weapons, does all the prep work like the story manager node does, and start the "Well what do we have here?" dialogue.  This would allow other mods to easily hook into this one.  I can guarantee you there is going to be demand for that :)

@EgoBallistic:

Yeah, I'll definitely be looking to make it more flexible for alternate starts.  Almost certainly in the next update; it isn't hard.

As for inter-mod communications, I haven't documented them in the OP yet, but there are already specific centralized functions for the prep stages - and some custom events to allow other mods to listen for major events (escape, being taken captive) if they want to react in some fashion.

8 hours ago, stobor said:

@Tanglin: It should still start (the background quest) if you visit Sanctuary or Lexington, it just won't have Jun delivering any threatening notes.  See earlier posts about how to force the background quest (RaiderPetDialogueQuest) to start via the console.

Yeah, I saw the post about the console command, but I was hoping that there would be a more immersive way to start the quest if Corvega has been cleared and hasn't respawned. I removed all my weapons and went in and out of Sanctuary, but the quest didn't start. I'll use the console command, thanks.

Using startquest raiderpetdialoguequest on my existing savegame doesn't work either. Here's what I did:

Went to Sanctuary and passed all my weapons and ammunition to a companion and then dismissed her. Then I made my way to the Museum in Concord. The raiders started attacking. Reloaded a previous save outside the museum and used the console command. Didn't get any error messages in the console. Entered the museum and the raiders still attacked my Nora. Reloaded, and went to Thicket Excavations with same results.

41 minutes ago, Tanglin said:

Using startquest raiderpetdialoguequest on my existing savegame doesn't work either. Here's what I did:

Went to Sanctuary and passed all my weapons and ammunition to a companion and then dismissed her. Then I made my way to the Museum in Concord. The raiders started attacking. Reloaded a previous save outside the museum and used the console command. Didn't get any error messages in the console. Entered the museum and the raiders still attacked my Nora. Reloaded, and went to Thicket Excavations with same results.

If you use the console command, no need to do Sanctuary or Concord at all. 

I simply staged myself up just outside Lexington...then performed startquest, then entered Lexington and approached Corvega. 

@Tanglin: Make sure that the quest actually started, before you do anything that might depend on its functioning.  (console command sqv RaiderPetDialogueQuest will show the quest state in all its gory detail).  Though I can't think of anything that would prevent it from starting - usually that'd be something like an alias-fill problem, and all the essential aliases in that quest are static, set in the CK.

If all else fails, grab a Papyrus log of the critical period, search for [RaiderPet] in the log, and attach a snippet with those messages to a forum post.

15 minutes ago, stobor said:

@Tanglin: Make sure that the quest actually started, before you do anything that might depend on its functioning.  (console command sqv RaiderPetDialogueQuest will show the quest state in all its gory detail).  Though I can't think of anything that would prevent it from starting - usually that'd be something like an alias-fill problem, and all the essential aliases in that quest are static, set in the CK.

If all else fails, grab a Papyrus log of the critical period, search for [RaiderPet] in the log, and attach a snippet with those messages to a forum post.

Would this screen shot help explain why the quest won't start?

Everyone in Corvega is already dead. It's a ghost town in there.

20190204123357_1.jpg.934363c9237a5d6595b5cb699108b8db.jpg

And here's a snippet of the log:

[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link types associated with function "::remote_AAF:AAF_API_OnAnimationStart" in state "" on object "RaiderPet:DialogueQuestScr".
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] error: Unable to bind script RaiderPet:DialogueQuestScr to RaiderPetDialogueQuest (8B000F99) because their base types do not match
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link types associated with function "Setup" in state "" on object "RaiderPet:LocalAliasScr".
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] error: Unable to bind script RaiderPet:LocalAliasScr to RaiderPetLocalAliases (8B00173B) because their base types do not match
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link type of variable "MainScr" on object "RaiderPet:RaiderPetGagDialogueScr"
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link types associated with function "Maintenance" in state "" on object "RaiderPet:RaiderPetGagDialogueScr".
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link types associated with function "Setup" in state "" on object "RaiderPet:RaiderPetGagDialogueScr".
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] error: Unable to bind script RaiderPet:RaiderPetGagDialogueScr to RaiderPetGagDialogue (8B0103F1) because their base types do not match

It seems like after the quest is enable most hostile stop being hostile as long as no weapon is inventory.

I didn't have much luck finding the key when triggering the quest in outdoor areas.

In one case I luck into it and found it on a corpse, it was a standard Raider corpse while the raider who did the initial greeting was already of higher level. For two other times I can't find the keys at all. Maybe quest marker would help.

The collar isn't totally deadly either, but that makes testing easier.

Love this mod.  Tried it this weekend with a new game.

Jun didn't give me the note in Sanctuary when I re-arrived after the Sturges quest.... he brought it over to me at Red Rocket.  So I got the note.  The mod worked as intended and as stated.

Did have to move load order after RSE otherwise, the conversations with Deacon and McCready were borked.  The what's your thoughts "Talk" Option instead of it being mute.  Or is this intended?

I have not tried an infiltration after Corvega with Deacon/McCready - liked the "flush" comment and the resulting "Orgasm Addition" after.... surprised me.

LOVED the hostility of the Diamond City guards - and the "I don't want to cause trouble".... and that concept can be extended throughout the Commonwealth with all types of characters.... 

Couldn't get the tape gag off... put on / off / on - common with Devious Devices... but this one wouldn't go away.  Magic Effect stayed on.

Loved the Pet idea... loved the tape... the … learning of place... the Guards harassment - etc... this could be so extended throughout everywhere... not just with the Guards - but "righteous" common folk - Like the ones that say "I can't believe how far you have fallen - I looked up to you" ….

More notes - more places... 

Suggestions for play through  

1)  shut off Sexual Harassment

2) basic needs without stripping (takes off collar - instant hostility)

3) shut off RSE: blackout and retrieval - get drugs and bam...

4)  shut off Devious Wasteland... looking through containers will yield a slave collar - which will make them instantly hostile.

5)  change timescale to 10 … sleep works, but my stalker shows up and you know what happens....

I am sure there is more....

but love it... love the direction - can't wait to see more.... AAF Kidnap is apparently making a comeback at some point... would be interesting to see when this happens and if there will be an easy integration with this?

Thanks and keep up great work.

John

56 minutes ago, afa said:

It seems like after the quest is enable most hostile stop being hostile as long as no weapon is inventory.

I didn't have much luck finding the key when triggering the quest in outdoor areas.

In one case I luck into it and found it on a corpse, it was a standard Raider corpse while the raider who did the initial greeting was already of higher level. For two other times I can't find the keys at all. Maybe quest marker would help.

The collar isn't totally deadly either, but that makes testing easier.

While I toggled off the Cursed Loot and Slave collar chances to zero in the MCM, I turned up the Key Drop Chance.... got my keys... or I lock picked it off before I left Corvega area.... minigame in MCM for Devious Wasteland makes it seem too easy, but otherwise it is too hard....  nothing like getting an armbinder or leg cuffs... with hostiles around and grab you.

7 hours ago, Tanglin said:

20190204123357_1.jpg.934363c9237a5d6595b5cb699108b8db.jpg

[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link types associated with function "::remote_AAF:AAF_API_OnAnimationStart" in state "" on object "RaiderPet:DialogueQuestScr".
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] error: Unable to bind script RaiderPet:DialogueQuestScr to RaiderPetDialogueQuest (8B000F99) because their base types do not match
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link types associated with function "Setup" in state "" on object "RaiderPet:LocalAliasScr".
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] error: Unable to bind script RaiderPet:LocalAliasScr to RaiderPetLocalAliases (8B00173B) because their base types do not match
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link type of variable "MainScr" on object "RaiderPet:RaiderPetGagDialogueScr"
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link types associated with function "Maintenance" in state "" on object "RaiderPet:RaiderPetGagDialogueScr".
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] Error: Unable to link types associated with function "Setup" in state "" on object "RaiderPet:RaiderPetGagDialogueScr".
[02/04/2019 - 12:12:02PM] error: Unable to bind script RaiderPet:RaiderPetGagDialogueScr to RaiderPetGagDialogue (8B0103F1) because their base types do not match

Doesn't Corvega re-spawn?  the raiders in Museum of Freedom do.... maybe this mod would/could force the respawn?

Also, can we then change the Ten Pines quest for Minute Men get changed from killing Jared?  Leave Jared alive... essential for this "Pet" idea...

Just now, MrCruelJohn said:

Doesn't Corvega re-spawn?  the raiders in Museum of Freedom do.... maybe this mod would/could force the respawn?

Also, can we then change the Ten Pines quest for Minute Men get changed from killing Jared?  Leave Jared alive... essential for this "Pet" idea...

Corvega can respawn, just like any other location, but I wiped out everyone there fairly recently, and since I play on Survival, it'll be about 80 days before that happens.

Just had a thought - what if a harasser in Sexual Harassment fails from Intimidation - says "oops, wrong person"... there is a rolled chance that the Diamond City Guard interaction is placed on that failed harasser....

"well, maybe you won't give it up... but I know you have been running with the Raiders... so.... ".....  I wouldn't make it a high chance... maybe 25% … 

and less sliders... I think it takes away the unknown and randomness.... and the idea behind the mod author's vision.... 

Just idea... 

9 minutes ago, Tanglin said:

Corvega can respawn, just like any other location, but I wiped out everyone there fairly recently, and since I play on Survival, it'll be about 80 days before that happens.

I thought so... just wondered if there is a way to force the respawn quicker... some mods do it... 

and Jared needs to re-spawn for this to keep working... and with Jared, escalating levels of what your character has to do to stay a Pet... 

I also think there needs to be punishment for not coming to corvega or any future location - forced spawns of raiders on all the settlements... makes the player go... not delay the journey and surrender...

John

31 minutes ago, MrCruelJohn said:

and less sliders... I think it takes away the unknown and randomness.... and the idea behind the mod author's vision.... 

The mod has MCM settings? I don't see them on my end. This might have a part to play in the quest not working for me.

9 minutes ago, MrCruelJohn said:
38 minutes ago, Tanglin said:

The mod has MCM settings? I don't see them on my end. This might have a part to play in the quest not working for me.

Not raiders pet.  The mcm for devious wasteland.  Somebody made up one and handy for those inescapable situations.

Just wanted to jump in here and say this: 

Sliders aren't about + or - randomness. They're about giving the player choice. I honestly reject mods that enforce a vision too rigidly, or shoot for tightly controlled environments.

Sliders allow players to tailor their experiences, and this is absolutely the direction more authors need to move toward, not away from. For the player who honestly does not want to be bothered with that, well...there's should be an option created for you here too: an MCM tickbox for "Mod Authors Picks" which enforces a default set of variables/settings. No sliders visible. 

Player choice is incredibly important, especially with mods that have a high roleplay or staged situation value. 

1 hour ago, MrCruelJohn said:

Did have to move load order after RSE otherwise, the conversations with Deacon and McCready were borked.  The what's your thoughts "Talk" Option instead of it being mute.  Or is this intended?

Companion dialogue is... frustrating to work with.  The vanilla game is setup in such a way that it is practically assuming that it has COMPLETE control over everything they say.  I don't know why the load order vis RSE would matter, but I'll take your word for it.

1 hour ago, WandererZero said:

Just wanted to jump in here and say this: 

Sliders aren't about + or - randomness. They're about giving the player choice. I honestly reject mods that enforce a vision too rigidly, or shoot for tightly controlled environments.

Sliders allow players to tailor their experiences, and this is absolutely the direction more authors need to move toward, not away from. For the player who honestly does not want to be bothered with that, well...there's should be an option created for you here too: an MCM tickbox for "Mod Authors Picks" which enforces a default set of variables/settings. No sliders visible. 

Player choice is incredibly important, especially with mods that have a high roleplay or staged situation value. 

My comment was more about how things can be so predictable and determinable that it becomes rinse and repeat.

Individual choice is good. Some situations and interactions between mods require tweaking. 

My comment was a reflection also my own roleplay of survival and making it realistic as possible.   Example is if my player doesnt have a condom or contraceptive, the she gets pregnant. It happens.  I dont modify or console in stuff to modify that reality.  

And my comment was not meant to slight anyone who would. 

Enjoy what works for you (proverbial "you").

John

1 hour ago, stobor said:

Companion dialogue is... frustrating to work with.  The vanilla game is setup in such a way that it is practically assuming that it has COMPLETE control over everything they say.  I don't know why the load order vis RSE would matter, but I'll take your word for it.

I can appreciate the challenges you encounter.  I just wanted to let you know.  And honestly, I dont really care what the companions thoughts are.  Heard them once, dont need to again. 

Also wanted to just let you know I put 30 hrs this weekend testing and running with this.  I was expecting one of the companions to give me a collar and when they didn't,  wasn't sure if broken.  So I changed the LO and the dialogue showed up.  

Plus I wanted to share what I loved about it and how great and big this mod can be.  It's really good.

I will have to restart back so I dont get rid of that collar so I can try the infiltration with it and see if it works.  

John

9 hours ago, Tanglin said:

The above errors are why the mod won't start for you.  Something is very broken there.  Are the mod's scripts installed in the right place?  How did you install the mod?

@Tanglin: Yeah, those script errors are not normal.  The quest is running, but it's much to heavily dependent on script logic to function, with errors like that.

I wish I could tell you what could cause those, but I've never seen anything remotely like those messages.  Missing scripts would be my 1st guess... but that's only a guess.

51 minutes ago, MrCruelJohn said:

I was expecting one of the companions to give me a collar and when they didn't,  wasn't sure if broken.

No, that was a feature of Rogue Sexbot which I didn't include in this one (it would interfere with the raiders fitting an explosive collar).  The main Companion lines in this mod are post-fight scenes (potentially triggered after clearing a location), on the premise that the character is aroused by the fighting.