Basic essential mods

As of late I've been catching my self trying to cram as many mods as I can into Skyrim. I've read to mod the game till it breaks but I've also been thinking that maybe taking "less is more" stand. The problem is having patches for this and for that to make things work with each other. All I want is a good enjoyable game and be outside of the main quest; being immersive and sexy. I've been "playing" Skyrim for years and have yet to get over 20th level because I find a mod that I want to try - oh, well... I can start over, right?

So, what would be considered as the quintessential and quality of gaming life needed mods?

Thanks 

Everything @randomname002 said except OneTweak and NIO (which is included in RaceMenu), plus NPCs of Dibella, Botox for Skyrim, and Aesthetic Elves. Just to clean up the quality of female NPCs somewhat.

USLEEP (should go without saying)

SMIM (Skyrim More Immersive Meshes)

Deconstructed Items v2

Alternate Start

ENBoost (my game is horribly choppy without it)

I tend to follow the KISS model (Keep It Simple, Stupid). There are others I use but they're not essential, quality-of-life mods. I could actually stand to sacrifice quite a few when I start a new game.

This is one of the guides to the basics for LL mods particularly Sex Lab, there is another more in depth that even lists with links quite a few core mods for many of the bigger mods available.

As to other basics, Body Slide (then choose CBBE or UUNP, with at least 1 core Mesh for the type)

LOOT

Tes5Edit

FNISS!!! Very important plus installing pretty much as it instructs,

Alternate Start

Racemenu or ECE

(the last 2 just cause it is way easier to test crap instead of sitting through that really boring start)

By following the requirements for Sex Lab you get a decent Core, then deciding on a first Big Mod like say SD+, Slaverun, Shout like a Virgin, ME what ever, they all require DD or Zap or Both. many of these reqs form a good Base, that way you have unlimited access really to many many future play throughs.

I can't let this pass without mentioning this (as the technical components of modding Skyrim):

While it was designed for modders who needed to start over it is a terrific guide for making certain that you have remembered all the "technical" mods that will make your game stable in the long term.

As for aesthetics, my approach is just as you describe. I rarely play with 100 mods at any one time. I try to picture the "story" I want to play with the game (especially dominant vs. submissive). I may or may not try one new armor per game (after all, I can only wear one armor at a time, right?) When playing dominant I play the Paradise Halls set of mods: Paradise Halls Enhanced (PAHE), Home Sweet Home (HSH) and And You Get A Slave (AYGAS) along with ZAP. When I play as a submissive my choices are all the various Devious Devices (DD) mods: DDa, DDi, DDx, DCL (Deviously Cursed Loot) and DEC.

SkyTweak. It allows you to change a lot of things such as dialogue distance, prices, damage, damage scaling, enemy scaling, experience rate, sneak effectiveness, difficulty, player and enemy stagger and other stuff in one MCM menu.

For sex mods I recommend stuff like Sexlab Eager NPCs, TDF's Prostitution and Skooma Whore. They work only when you talk to NPCs and choose to bang them, or when you overdose on drugs. That can be useful if you want to avoid having too many scripts constantly running in the background.

I'm not some kind of a sex god, but I'm pretty sure it's more immersive than getting violently fistfucked by everything that moves.

6 hours ago, Psalam said:

I can't let this pass without mentioning this (as the technical components of modding Skyrim):

While it was designed for modders who needed to start over it is a terrific guide for making certain that you have remembered all the "technical" mods that will make your game stable in the long term.

As for aesthetics, my approach is just as you describe. I rarely play with 100 mods at any one time. I try to picture the "story" I want to play with the game (especially dominant vs. submissive). I may or may not try one new armor per game (after all, I can only wear one armor at a time, right?) When playing dominant I play the Paradise Halls set of mods: Paradise Halls Enhanced (PAHE), Home Sweet Home (HSH) and And You Get A Slave (AYGAS) along with ZAP. When I play as a submissive my choices are all the various Devious Devices (DD) mods: DDa, DDi, DDx, DCL (Deviously Cursed Loot) and DEC.

Psalam, thank you for that - I'll definitely check it out. About armor - that's right but I'm naturally a hoarder... lol... You never know when you're going to use it. So, what do I do? I get a couple of armor set mods that have level lists like Immersive Armors and then change them using Outfit Studio. I don't competently change the look but I'll use CT77's remodeled armor as a base and make them skimpier like... For example, here's my version of Maty's Bosmer Armor Pack...

But I've been battling the need to have something merged into a mod pack just in case I decide to use it... like gambling instead of prostitution to make money... lol... I have the option of choice.

But I don't know about merging. I understand that it basically opens up your mod slots but if the merged esp gets bigger and bigger does it make the game engine work harder? I know about scripts, etc. but if I merged mods with scripts using Merge Plugins does it really make it easier or harder for the game?

Basically I need a 12 step program for mods...

Spoiler

23500684-1541376017.jpg

20 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Everything @randomname002 said except OneTweak and NIO (which is included in RaceMenu), plus NPCs of Dibella, Botox for Skyrim, and Aesthetic Elves. Just to clean up the quality of female NPCs somewhat.

USLEEP (should go without saying)

SMIM (Skyrim More Immersive Meshes)

Deconstructed Items v2

Alternate Start

ENBoost (my game is horribly choppy without it)

I tend to follow the KISS model (Keep It Simple, Stupid). There are others I use but they're not essential, quality-of-life mods. I could actually stand to sacrifice quite a few when I start a new game.

Have you tried the FixLag=True under [FIX] along with ForceBorderless=True ForceBorderlessFullscreen=True under [WINDOW} in EnbLocal? It's probably a placebo for me but my FPS is 80 inside (sometimes higher) and 65 outside and I use JK's towns and city lite for immersive citizen mod with Somber ENB

I have to really decide what I want to use and what I can live without. I have this crazy feeling that I want to the option to have something just in case like the knocking on doors to see if anyone is home.

I like the idea of needing food sleep and feeling cold. I like a harsh environment. Aesthetically my game is dark and I use dark forest mod along with always cloudy. I'd like to not have to deal with the main quest until I want to do and I don't care about the civil war, so I'm using the neutral mod. What about encounters and combat? I like Mihail's creature mods and various quest mods like the bulletin board, some dungeon mods and skyrim underground.

I use both ELFX and RLO - I know counter intuitive - but I have found that I have better lighting inside with ELFX and better lighting outside with RLO - less flickering.

But I need to work something out to get to KISS which I think is best in regards for the game engine. Loot says I have 247 active mods and 328 total mods as in a BASH patch but it's more as I have around 150 other mods merged into different little packs. I read to mod Skyrim till it breaks but when does using so many mods become just ridiculous? lol

18 hours ago, DarksideTinkerbell said:

This is one of the guides to the basics for LL mods particularly Sex Lab, there is another more in depth that even lists with links quite a few core mods for many of the bigger mods available.

As to other basics, Body Slide (then choose CBBE or UUNP, with at least 1 core Mesh for the type)

LOOT

Tes5Edit

FNISS!!! Very important plus installing pretty much as it instructs,

Alternate Start

Racemenu or ECE

(the last 2 just cause it is way easier to test crap instead of sitting through that really boring start)

By following the requirements for Sex Lab you get a decent Core, then deciding on a first Big Mod like say SD+, Slaverun, Shout like a Virgin, ME what ever, they all require DD or Zap or Both. many of these reqs form a good Base, that way you have unlimited access really to many many future play throughs.

Thank  you!

8 minutes ago, RedMonika said:

Have you tried the FixLag=True under [FIX] along with ForceBorderless=True ForceBorderlessFullscreen=True under [WINDOW} in EnbLocal? It's probably a placebo for me but my FPS is 80 inside (sometimes higher) and 65 outside and I use JK's towns and city lite for immersive citizen mod with Somber ENB

I didn't know about the first but the latter two I do use. I'll have to try it; it sucks not having any graphics modification with ENBoost.

Now ask yourself how your FPS can be higher than your refresh rate?

As a matter of interest, what is giving you the FPS notification?

(I'll ignore the fact that your 61(?) FPS is with your PC standing still in an empty room at the very start of the game with nothing running or happening).

I should add the Aradia potion and mushroom mods posted here on LL. They're not actual files you can find in the Downloads section but buried in one of the threads (I can't remember which). All they do is change the mesh and textures of potions and fungus, and not all potions and 'shrooms, but there's something about imagining my futabus eat and drink schlong-shaped items that makes me giggle.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:25 AM, Grey Cloud said:

(I'll ignore the fact that your 61(?) FPS is with your PC standing still in an empty room at the very start of the game with nothing running or happening).

Okay, well, it's starting to sound like you're one of my husband's old computer arrogant geek friends who thinks everyone are fucken idiots. I don't know and as I said above it's probably a placebo but my game runs better with these set in enblocal than not. So, since you sound like an arrogant prick who's dying to tell me because I'm some chick and the problem exists between the keyboard and chair why don't you tell me 

On 12/26/2018 at 12:59 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I should add the Aradia potion and mushroom mods posted here on LL. They're not actual files you can find in the Downloads section but buried in one of the threads (I can't remember which). All they do is change the mesh and textures of potions and fungus, and not all potions and 'shrooms, but there's something about imagining my futabus eat and drink schlong-shaped items that makes me giggle.

Thanks, yeah, mesh mods are fine. Did you try the enblocal edits and how did your game run after?

On 12/26/2018 at 7:25 AM, Grey Cloud said:

Perhaps this can help both of us? Me to learn and you to become humble?

Does that mean that your frame rate is limited by your screen’s refresh rate? No; they are two separate things. Remember that FPS is how many frames your gaming computer is producing or drawing, while the refresh rate is how many times the monitor is refreshing the image on the screen. The refresh rate (Hz) of your monitor does not affect the frame rate (FPS) your GPU will be outputting. However, if your FPS is higher than your refresh rate, your display will not be able to display all of the frames your computer is producing, so although the refresh rate doesn’t technically limit the frame rate, it does effectively set a cap.

https://www.avadirect.com/blog/frame-rate-fps-vs-hz-refresh-rate/

Gender has nothing to do with it.

You are using the word 'placebo' incorrectly.

10 hours ago, RedMonika said:

so although the refresh rate doesn’t technically limit the frame rate, it does effectively set a cap.

Therefore some widget massaging your ego by reporting an FPS of 60 or above is pointless.

I have no idea what my FPS is. I can't even remember which key my ENB uses and I never have anything to do with Steam. I know I can, e.g., run extremely fast with 30 human followers in tow, all the way from Markarth to the crossroads with the cart and bandit ambush, fight the OBIS bandits through the blizzard of magic effects and move on without crashing.

So, to bring us back on-topic. I would suggest that the OP concentrates on getting a stable game before s/he thinks about loading it with everyone else's favourite mods.

17 hours ago, RedMonika said:

Thanks, yeah, mesh mods are fine. Did you try the enblocal edits and how did your game run after?

I did and it didn't work. My FPS dropped from an average of 60 to 30 when I disabled ENBoost speed hack even with the Fix Lag option enabled. And that was in the LAL starting cell. I'm 99% sure it's SMIM that's causing that FPS drop...but I really hate the vanilla static meshes, too. Sort of a lose-lose situation here. :classic_confused:

8 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Gender has nothing to do with it.

You are using the word 'placebo' incorrectly.

Therefore some widget massaging your ego by reporting an FPS of 60 or above is pointless.

I have no idea what my FPS is. I can't even remember which key my ENB uses and I never have anything to do with Steam. I know I can, e.g., run extremely fast with 30 human followers in tow, all the way from Markarth to the crossroads with the cart and bandit ambush, fight the OBIS bandits through the blizzard of magic effects and move on without crashing.

So, to bring us back on-topic. I would suggest that the OP concentrates on getting a stable game before s/he thinks about loading it with everyone else's favourite mods.

No, you automatically starting off with questions putting someone on the spot to massage their own ego or insecurity is the issue. It's a game that narcissistic people play. They push buttons and make people annoyed and when they are confronted they tell them to calm down. It's a controlling game. You come off right away that I'm incorrect or wrong, which I certainly could be... I don't know.

You could have started off saying: "These settings aren't suppose to do this or that" or have a pleasant tone in your post. Remember, this is text and we don't have body language to accompany it. You might think that what you wrote is not wrong but it comes off that you're a dick.

"Now ask yourself how your FPS can be higher than your refresh rate?"

Well, apparently the article that I posted says that I can and it's not ego.

And, no, I'm not using placebo incorrectly in this context. I may have a false notion that my game runs better but I think it is and therefore it is a placebo. These settings might have nothing to do with the fact that I have a high FPS but it gives me a false sense of assurance that it is... a placebo affect.

And your quick assumption that my game isn't stable is a sign of your arrogance. It is.. It runs just fine but I'm trying to go through the mods that I really want. I don't want a list the length of my arm of mods. I'm in conflict if its really good or not for the game engine, which I'm leaning its not. So, I'm asking for insight and advice with other players of the game.

I'm naturally a hoarder and am trying to force everything just to have it just in case. So, if I can't ask a simple question to a group of people who play the same game where can I?

Archived