What do you think about Vortex?

?????

I dont care that much about Vortex, never did with NMM.

For experimenting i use MO2. Its virtual mod directories in combination with the feature of showing a list of conflicts for each mod are a huge benefit it has over any other mod manager. You will be able to understand and edit any overwrite at any time. Plus, profiles to easily switch between some setups. I recently used NMM because i wanted to play Fallout New Vegas again (the whole FO76 incident made me want to play a good Fallout again) and it was a horrible experience. NMM crashed multiple times during mod installations and thus fucked up the whole Data folder again and again. I ended up installing everything manually. Like i should have from the very beginning...

This is why for regular gameplay, after you have had some experience, i recommend no mod manager at all.

TLDR:

1. Mod Organizer for learning, experimenting and understanding what is going on. And for preparing a manual installation.
  2. Manual installation (when you're done with experimenting) for normal gameplay.

Can't say I like Vortex, because you cannot create custom mod categories for better sorting and you cannot tweak the mod load order as freely as you can with the NMM.

The load order doesn't really matter if you download mods from the Nexus, because the Vortex automatically sorts it out properly. But if you use non-nexus mods its a whole different story.

The premise for Vortex looks promising, but it has ways to go before it can compete the NMM in terms of user preferences.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:48 AM, Jordick said:

Can't say I like Vortex, because you cannot create custom mod categories for better sorting and you cannot tweak the mod load order as freely as you can with the NMM.

The load order doesn't really matter if you download mods from the Nexus, because the Vortex automatically sorts it out properly. But if you use non-nexus mods its a whole different story.

The premise for Vortex looks promising, but it has ways to go before it can compete the NMM in terms of user preferences.

Under PLUGINS, there are a row of buttons along the top, "Manage Groups" and "Manage Rules" is what you want (to move a plugin into a group, double click on it to open up a panel, then move it into your custom group).

For more information, either take a look into the wiki that NexusMods created (you could use the Knowledge Base that's inside Vortex, but it's hooked up with the wiki anyways, and the UI currently has a bug that will be fixed in a future version).

Edit:

On-Topic:

Took a couple minutes to read through the documentation. It essentially did everything that I had done in MO2, but may sometimes take an extra action or two to perform the same function. As it's only a few seconds extra, that really doesn't matter to me, so I switched over to it a month or so ago. UI design has grown on me since then, and it's always nice that it works with games other than Bethesda games, so that when I get around to playing them and feel like modding, I won't have to get another mod manager.

16 hours ago, icedragoon94 said:

Under PLUGINS, there are a row of buttons along the top, "Manage Groups" and "Manage Rules" is what you want (to move a plugin into a group, double click on it to open up a panel, then move it into your custom group).

Yeah, I'm aware that you can manage the load order via groups and rules, but tweaking the load order this way its more complicated than it is with the NMM.

This is why I said "as freely as you can with the NMM", because in NMM you can manually tweak the load order just by dragging or clicking the up & down arrows. Simple and easy, yet effective.  ?

That being said I have switched to Vortex, because NMM is no longer being supported.

6 hours ago, Jordick said:

Yeah, I'm aware that you can manage the load order via groups and rules, but tweaking the load order this way its more complicated than it is with the NMM.

This is why I said "as freely as you can with the NMM", because in NMM you can manually tweak the load order just by dragging or clicking the up & down arrows. Simple and easy, yet effective.  ?

That being said I have switched to Vortex, because NMM is no longer being supported.

Ah, right ><'.

As for NMM, you could actually still use it. The community has taken over the development of it (although, the code hasn't been touched since September 26th). Link directly to releases.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2018 at 11:37 AM, BufusTurbo said:

I'm too lazy to go through the hassle of switching to a new mod manager (which I've seen on forums isn't really an improvement) while good old NMM has yet to fail me. Program-based download is not something I use since I always download manually and store mods on my HD, so if there's an improvement in that field it's totally irrelevant to me.

I agree download the mod and install from HD, then no matter what the mod manager does you still have the original copy, and if it disappears from the mod site you still have an original copy.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, Bulkhead said:

I've heard mixed things about it. Personally, I'm a fan of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" line of logic. Been using MO successfully for years now, don't see a reason to change.

To each their own.

I like MO because I can drastically change my modlist in seconds without worrying about overwrites, breaking the game, or file-structure fuckery; in a split-second I can switch from a modlist geared toward thieves to one geared toward mages, then switch back later on without installing or uninstalling a single mod. It also lets me determine incompatibilities easily; if something borks, I can find out why without ever making changes to my normal modlist thus ensuring that the bug-fixing process itself doesn't cause any more problems. Additionally, I can change which mods overwrite which other ones without re-installing any of them.

I used Mo, worked fine for me, excpt the overwrite box, I was always forgetting to make the mod, and then if i forgot, I was never sure everything was fixed.  was that crash cause I missed something in the overwrite box?  I that skse addon really working correctly.

I was completely agnostic towards Vortex before I decided to restart Skyrim from scratch with SE. So I decided it was a good idea to start with a new iteration of mod manager with new iteration of game.

Result: I like it. It behaves a lot like MO, And it also behaves like an app that belongs in Current Year. It still lacks drag-and drop functionality, but it does have contextual functionality to give you what you want.

Rating 8/10 -- Actually using successfully and not interested in migrating to other solutions. Needs more "immediacy" (plugin drag and drop) functionality, Really freakin' solid otherwise.

• 1 month later...

I've been using vortex for a while now, (I upgraded for... some reason which escapes me at the moment.). There was definetly a larger learning curve than NMM. Stuff that was easy isn't anymore, but the built in features like LOOT sorta make up for that?

Largely I feel it's not any harder or easier, just different. I also think it's got some growing pains to get through, but could very easily become a very good mod organizer.

I change to Vortex 2 or 3 weeks ago but i must say Vortex is not for all users for now.

Need improvements, imo.

I use NMM from 2014 and never like MO. I know the virtual system works but the obligatority of launch all programs from inside MO is a big problem. Specialy for modders and developers, letting appart the slow down that MO give with the virtual system.

NMM is very, very, super very slow for install any big mod with hundreds of files.

Is the worst part of NMM but letting that appart i never had any problem with NMM.

Vortex is 1000 times more fast than NMM.

Reinstall the FunnyBizzness pack with Vortex only need 10 seconds while NMM can need 10 to 20 minutes.

Change the profile need near 30 seconds while in NMM is a nigthmare.

I know that i have that speed in MO but i not like MO, not insist.

But the best part of Vortex end in the speed. I not see any better in Vortex than in NMM, except speed.

The interface is aceptable but is not fantastic and need some OBLIGATORY improvements.

I can not export the PLUGING list. I can get it with LOOT but not with Vortex.

I can not export the MOD list and i'm unable to locate the file with the mod list.

I can not export the OVERWRITE order and i'm unable to locate the file with the overwrite info.

I can not understand WHY i can not make that things in a mod manager in 2019.

How can i explain what i have installed in Vortex when i need support for a problem. With ScreenShots???????

The overwrite system is patetic.

If install a mod with and update i must say MANUALLY that the update must overwrite the main mod.

WHY not make the simple question of "Do you want overwrite main with update???" in the same way make NMM. If Vortex is designed for replace NMM must have similar functionality to NMM.

That "simple question" can simplify A LOT the instalation of the mods.

If i make an error in the overwrite question i can reinstall the mod in 10 seconds and change the answer.

That can mean a lot of time in NMM but in Vortex is 10 seconds.

WHY i must figth MANUALLY with the overwrite system???  Is stupid, imo, of course.

Until Vortex not make some improvements i can NOT recomend Vortex. Only for expert users for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I used NMM for the longest time up until maybe a week and half, two weeks ago at most? I never had an issue that wasn't easily fixable on my end.

Of course Vortex installs faster than NMM does, here is a draw back.
-Mod Auto-Deploy so it can fuck up some loose files.
-Would not at all import my NMM mod list at all despite being told to wait and waiting an hour before it decided to crash.

Other wise, It's not too bad. Although it finding games is about on par with just do it yourself method.

Still using NMM here don't care if it isn't supported.  The program just unzips files, remembers them, installs them, then if you want reverse the action...HOW hard is that?  Vortex is just to counter MOD manager on Nexus part to retain manager majority in the  mod spectrum.

Still sticking to MO2.

I haven't tested Vortex personally yet. But I've seen videos, reviews and guides.

And the GUI just seemed to... I'm not sure. Too basic? Or too simple.

It just doesn't have the same advanced feel as MO or MO2.

And considering I already have all my mod lists, I have no interesting in re-doing all of that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Oldrim for over 2 years and FO 4 for almost 1 year. The NMM was easier for me to handle than the MO. My English knowledge is not the best, I have to say, which didn't make the installation any easier ;D The many insufficient explanations of the mode developers weren't helpful either. Fast 200 Mods with in the game and the games quickly unstable. The Vortex has made it much easier for me, is faster, more stable, offers more possibilities. The games never crashed again since then. But the vortex doesn't always protect you from your own stupidity :D if you take mods that overlap too much. The automatic load sequence sorting can be switched off in the vortex and also easily determined by yourself. The interaction between Nexus homepage and manager is still very individual. Does not always do what it should, in terms of the download button click recognition. I often have a double download :( I'm probably too fast and should work more with my 2nd monitor.  The profiles in the vortex work well, unlike the NMM. I really like the list of scores :) The appearance of the Vortex takes some getting used to, but people get used to it quickly :D we all had to have a facelift from Loverslab or ;) The move from NMM to Vortex didn't work for me :( so I had to reinstall more than 250 mods at Oldrim, aaahhh :-() which wasn't so bad, because the NMM was so unstable that I had to do it over and over again :D In summary, I can say, the VORTEX is a real benefit for those who don't know the game very well. The games have been stable ever since.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Seit über  2 Jahren spiele ich Oldrim und seit fast 1nem Jahr FO 4. Der NMM wahr für mich leichter zu handhaben als der MO. Meine englischkenntnisse sind nicht die Besten, muß ich dazu sagen, was einem die Installation nicht erleichtert hat ;D Die vielen unzureichenden Erklärungen der Modentwickler wahren auch nicht hilfreich. Schnell wahren 200 Mods mit im Spiel und die Spiele schnell instabil. Der Vortex hat es mir sehr viel einfacher gemacht, ist schneller, stabiler, bietet gefühlt mehr Möglichkeiten. Die Spiele sind seither nie wieder abgestürzt. Der Vortex schützt allerdings auch nicht immer  vor der eigenen dummheit :D wenn man zum Beispiel Mods hernimmt die sich zuviel überschneiden. Die automatische Ladereihenfolgesortierung lässt sich im Vortex ausschalten und auch leicht selbst bestimmen. Das Zusammenspiel von Nexushomepage und Manager ist nach wie vor eigenwillig. Macht nicht immer das was es soll, im Bezug auf die Downloadbutton klick erkennung. Ich habe oft einen doppelten download :( Ich bin wohl zu schnell und sollte mehr mit meinem 2. monitor arbeiten.  Die Profile im Vortex funktionieren gut, im Gegensatz zum NMM. Die Auflistung der Spielstände finde ich echt gut :) Das Aussehen des Vortex ist gewöhnungsbedürftig, aber der Mensch gewöhnt sich schnell um :D mußten wir ja auch Alle beim Facelifting von Loverslab oder ;) Der Umzug vom NMM zum Vortex hat bei mir nicht geklappt :( mußte somit bei Oldrim über 250 Mods neu installieren, aaahhh :-() was jedoch nicht so schlimm wahr, den der NMM wahr so instabil das ich das vierteljährig eh immer wieder machen mußte :D Zusammenfassend kann ich sagen, der VORTEX ist ein echter Gewinn für Die die sich nicht so gut auskennen. Die Spiele laufen seither stabil.

• 1 month later...

So about 7 months ago, NMM failed me hard. I asked around and the general gist i got from people is that NMM can't handle heavy modding, and i do mod my game quite heavily. I switched from NMM to MO and it was frustrating at first, had a decently hard learning curve for me but now it's easier than ever and is so much more efficient with the whole virtual installation stuff. Also i can see overwrites, handy stuff.

Vortex on the other hand, oh boi! I didn't even try it because of the insane amount of warnings and "NOOOO!" i received from my friends and the community. It is said that Vortex puts files in dumb places, doesn't have a virtual installation so everything goes directly into the game folders, so if you screw up you screw up the game itself and it breaks and re-installation is the only option left, just like NMM. The interface just looks way too weird and jarring. It's trying to look cool over trying to be functional.

Vortex as of now is a mess, still needs massive amounts of improvements. This seems to be the majority opinion, and i gotta say, if THIS many people are saying there's something wrong, it cant just be shrugged off like it's nothing.

Vortex is great. Installing and uninstalling mods shouldn't be a complicated process and with Vortex it's not. As someone who is more focused on making mods I used to be a bit apprehensive about using mod managers to automate the process of installs. With Vortex I barely think about it any more. I've never had an issue with using it and having conflicts or problems with my own stuff. Or any other mods for that matter. If you possess even the smallest amount of common sense with regards to what you are installing (and you should), Then Vortex is a great tool to use as your mod manager.

Archived