Devious Devices - Laura's Bondage Shop (11-dec-2023) V3.43

1 hour ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

Also, it has been making this noise for about 3 years now and it hasn't gotten louder or more frequent. But I'm still worried.

That sounds suspiciously like some bearings in the case fans are in need of some lubricating. What you should do is blow out the dust first with some airspray, then spray grease - not oil - on the bearings. The first part is important, since if the grease has some dirt left in it, that will stay there.

20 minutes ago, pappana said:

sounds like one or more of the case fans are giving out. or the cpu fan.

im 80% sure its one of the fans, how many fans are in the case?

I don't have case fans I think. I had to search to find out what case fans are. :P

I only have 2 GPU fans, a CPU fan and a PSU fan.

Just now, Taki17 said:

That sounds suspiciously like some bearings in the case fans are in need of some lubricating. What you should do is blow out the dust first with some airspray, then spray grease on the bearings. The first part is important, since if the grease has some dirt left in it, that will stay there.

I'll search for some tutorials, but I still don't know which fan it is.

I'd describe it as a low pitch rattling noise, but I don't know for sure where it's coming from.

I don't think it's my GPU because I heard it while the GPU and it's fan weren't active.

It also doesn't always make that sound. When I start my PC for the first time of the day, it almost never makes that noise. But when I boot it up for the second time, it seems to have a higher chance to make the noise. That sounds to me like it have something to do with heat, but when it rattles it's always when I boot, never when the PC is already running.

Also, it has been making this noise for about 3 years now and it hasn't gotten louder or more frequent. But I'm still worried.

I had noise from some fan inside computer for longer while too and it got really annoying, to leave the story short. The culprit was indeed the power supply. But i didn't know that until i had switched from GTX 960 to GTX 1060 in the process... I don't regret that though, the new card is awesome. The 960 had 2 fans but 1060 has only 1. That makes it even more silent than my old one and even with 6GB VRAM it's much more energy efficient. It doesn't need 2 fans anyway, it's much better with 1. That also meant i could get off with just 6-pin power connection to GPU instead of 8-pin that 2 fans need. I didn't need very powerful PSU, i guess it was 550W still though. Old one was 650W.

6 minutes ago, Zaflis said:

I had noise from some fan inside computer for longer while too and it got really annoying, to leave the story short. The culprit was indeed the power supply. But i didn't know that until i had switched from GTX 960 to GTX 1060 in the process... I don't regret that though, the new card is awesome. The 960 had 2 fans but 1060 has only 1. That makes it even more silent than my old one and even with 6GB VRAM it's much more energy efficient. It doesn't need 2 fans anyway, it's much better with 1. That also meant i could get off with just 6-pin power connection to GPU instead of 8-pin that 2 fans need. I didn't need very powerful PSU, i guess it was 550W still though. Old one was 650W.

I bought my current PSU for a GTX 760, which needed a lot of power. I now have a GTX 1050 Ti that's a lot more effectient so the PSU doesn't have to be this strong. (I just looked it up, the GTX 760 is a 170W card with a recommended system power of 500W. The GTX 150 Ti is a 75W card with a recommended system power of 300W)

I suspect that it's my PSU fan, but I still don't understand how it only sometimes gives the noise.

I'm also not good at all this hardware stuff. I'm worried that I'll buy the wrong PSU or that I'll connect it wrong. :'(

38 minutes ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

I suspect that it's my PSU fan, but I still don't understand how it only sometimes gives the noise.

Our old game computer did the same. For years. It still works :classic_happy:But we cleaned it every few month from dust. (which can be real trouble :classic_unsure:)

The current game computer (now 6 or 7 years old :classic_laugh: ) gives noises at certain temperatures in the room. We found out that once the computer is beyond 30°C it stops making funny noises and the noisy fan is just doing it's job.

Anyway, connecting  a PSU the  wrong way should not be thaaat troublesome. They have shaped plugs that shouldn't fit where they don't belong, as long as you don't force them into a socket. It just an annoying task to do.

Get your camera, snap a picture of the data tag in the PSU or from the manual if you still have it somewhere around and take that to a trustworthy computer store  . :classic_smile:

Hardware these days is like lego, everyone with some patience can build a standard PC :P Component compatibility can be a thing, if you go for a decent brand PSU at 550W you can power almost any modern single GPU rig with a regular CPU. Not things like i9 with a 2080TI but I think most people that have that stuff know what they are doing or pay somebody else to do it :P

As for the fans, use something soft like a microfiber cloth to stop the fans one at a time until the sound is gone. It can hurt if you just stick you fingers in them and stopping them with a  "bang" is not advisable so press softly against the hub of the fan until it stops.

And I would advice against lubricating bearings yourself, most fans use very cheap and flimsy bearings not designed for opening or even maintenance at all. And getting the suitable lubricant should be about the same price as a new fan. With the added bonus of not destroying your fan or getting lubricant inside your PC when it spins up.

6 hours ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

I don't have case fans I think. I had to search to find out what case fans are. :P

I only have 2 GPU fans, a CPU fan and a PSU fan.

case fans are the fans that is connected to the motherboard via cables(the fans that arent part of the gpu or the cpu) and sits usually at the front and back of the case, they blow out all the hot air that the cpu and gpu makes and blowing in cold air from outside the case. they are used for ventilation other wise the gpu and cpu would work overtime basically using hot air to cool a ghot gpu wich isnt ideal  :) most cases have atleast 2 of them, some have more

if its a laptop it usually have atleast one fan cooling everything wich would count as a case fan :)

That sounds to me like it have something to do with heat, but when it rattles it's always when I boot, never when the PC is already running.

if you worry about heat, you can download free software called OPEN HARDWARE MONITOR, it will tell you the heat of your CPU, GPU, etc as well as how much power they draw and their total usage and other nice things,

15 hours ago, worik said:

Anyway, connecting  a PSU the  wrong way should not be thaaat troublesome. They have shaped plugs that shouldn't fit where they don't belong, as long as you don't force them into a socket. It just an annoying task to do.

Get your camera, snap a picture of the data tag in the PSU or from the manual if you still have it somewhere around and take that to a trustworthy computer store  . :classic_smile:

I was worried that I'd burn my house down if I put a 12V thingy in a 6V component. But I'm glad that that can't happen. :)

15 hours ago, Taki17 said:

Don't worry about that. If as a child, you had the toy where you had to match the shapes with the appropriate holes, you were trained to do this since day 1. :)

That makes it even worse if I do mess it up. ?

15 hours ago, naaitsab said:

Hardware these days is like lego, everyone with some patience can build a standard PC :P Component compatibility can be a thing, if you go for a decent brand PSU at 550W you can power almost any modern single GPU rig with a regular CPU. Not things like i9 with a 2080TI but I think most people that have that stuff know what they are doing or pay somebody else to do it :P

As for the fans, use something soft like a microfiber cloth to stop the fans one at a time until the sound is gone. It can hurt if you just stick you fingers in them and stopping them with a  "bang" is not advisable so press softly against the hub of the fan until it stops.

And I would advice against lubricating bearings yourself, most fans use very cheap and flimsy bearings not designed for opening or even maintenance at all. And getting the suitable lubricant should be about the same price as a new fan. With the added bonus of not destroying your fan or getting lubricant inside your PC when it spins up.

Thanks for the tip. I can't reach the PSU fan because it's behind a screen. I can try that with the CPU fan though.

9 hours ago, pappana said:

case fans are the fans that is connected to the motherboard via cables(the fans that arent part of the gpu or the cpu) and sits usually at the front and back of the case, they blow out all the hot air that the cpu and gpu makes and blowing in cold air from outside the case. they are used for ventilation other wise the gpu and cpu would work overtime basically using hot air to cool a ghot gpu wich isnt ideal  :) most cases have atleast 2 of them, some have more

if its a laptop it usually have atleast one fan cooling everything wich would count as a case fan :)

I looked it up earlier, but I don't have those. My PC is just a regular Medion PC and I just slapped a new PSU and GPU in it.

7 hours ago, DayTri said:

if you worry about heat, you can download free software called OPEN HARDWARE MONITOR, it will tell you the heat of your CPU, GPU, etc as well as how much power they draw and their total usage and other nice things,

I used that before when I had heat issues. I just found out that case fans are a thing and not having them is probably why I have to keep the case open to keep it from overheating. ?

I also don't think case fans would fit because the case isn't big enough.

My PC is a mess, but this mess has been going strong for 6 years now.

28 minutes ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

I looked it up earlier, but I don't have those. My PC is just a regular Medion PC and I just slapped a new PSU and GPU in it.

:classic_laugh: Almost literally the same as ours. Common off-the-shelf from the random super market nearby.

Hey, been away for a little while. Got caught up in the space game from '03, and she is a cruel mistress when it comes to time consumption. Anyway, obscure reference aside, I'm glad to see there's still movement happening here. Been poking around on LL, found a couple other mods I like, but sadly, only had a year of more of development then it was abandoned :(Eagerly awaiting the next chapter in LBS :D

Thanks for the tip. I can't reach the PSU fan because it's behind a screen. I can try that with the CPU fan though.

Screen? is it a laptop you have? 

you should look into getting some, it will help with ventilation to keep it form overheating :) if the case came without fans and is really tiny you could just buy a regular office fan and put it right at the intake, its better than nothing atleast and will help a little

4 minutes ago, pappana said:

Screen? is it a laptop you have? 

A screen like this:

I think they're called fan screens.

4 minutes ago, pappana said:

you should look into getting some, it will help with ventilation to keep it form overheating :) if the case came without fans and is really tiny you could just buy a regular office fan and put it right at the intake, its better than nothing atleast and will help a little

An office fan could help. Thanks for the tip.

An office fan could help. Thanks for the tip.

And remember to keep it clean from dust. The openings from the outside is the usual weekly/monthly routine

But if you're not afraid to open the case, do it and have a look at least nce a year. If you are careful a common hoover on a low setting is good enough for the job.

Dust can have a terrible effect on electronics and their intended heating/cooling ? ?️

8 hours ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

You can use something like a plastic straw to stop the fan in the PSU. Changing the pitch of the fan is most of the time more than enough to judge what fan is broken. 

And Medion if that's the same brand Medion that sells here in the Netherlands or Germany is of let's say "questionable" quality. So I could well be a dodgy cap that whines.  You could always see if there is a PC shop somewhere near. Most small shops have used gear in stock and can give you good advice if you have issues or want to change some things. I would stay far away from big name stores because they only sell pre-builds and aim for highest margins not what is best for the customer.

If you want more assistance feel free to send a DM.

18 hours ago, worik said:

And remember to keep it clean from dust. The openings from the outside is the usual weekly/monthly routine

But if you're not afraid to open the case, do it and have a look at least nce a year. If you are careful a common hoover on a low setting is good enough for the job.

Dust can have a terrible effect on electronics and their intended heating/cooling ? ?️

Yeah, I always keep it clean. I use a compressed air duster.

18 hours ago, naaitsab said:

You can use something like a plastic straw to stop the fan in the PSU. Changing the pitch of the fan is most of the time more than enough to judge what fan is broken. 

I'll do that.

And Medion if that's the same brand Medion that sells here in the Netherlands or Germany is of let's say "questionable" quality. So I could well be a dodgy cap that whines.  You could always see if there is a PC shop somewhere near. Most small shops have used gear in stock and can give you good advice if you have issues or want to change some things. I would stay far away from big name stores because they only sell pre-builds and aim for highest margins not what is best for the customer.

I got it from Bol.com instead of Aldi, but it's still the same crap. :P

I did heard a lot of good things about Medion though. This noise is the only thing wrong with it after using it for about 6 years.

If you want more assistance feel free to send a DM.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Shenecek said:

Hello all, 

I was hoping for some help. It appears that my game crashes each time i want to enter the Winking Skeever Inn in Solitude while on the quest to talk to Jade about getting someone kidnapped. This is what I get from the papyrus logs. Any help please?

Papyrus.0.log 45.56 kB · 0 downloads

I haven't changed anything in the Winking Skeever so I don't think this is my mods fault.

I do see an FNIS error and a few DD errors, but I'm not sure if they're the cause.

Have you had crashes before?

Does your game run smoothly or do it have more issues?

Does FNIS give an error when you run it?

Can you share your Load Order?

5 hours ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

I'll do that.

I got it from Bol.com instead of Aldi, but it's still the same crap. :P

I did heard a lot of good things about Medion though. This noise is the only thing wrong with it after using it for about 6 years.

Thanks.

Ook een Nederlander? ;)

Most Medion/Acer brand PC's don't last very long past their warranty time. But when they do they keep running most of the time. Bit of a lottery. As a hobby/sidejob I build and maintain PC's in the weekends. The quality of known brands (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc) is leagues ahead of those brands. As they mostly cheap out on the PSU and mobo's. But with most things, you get what you pay for and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Ook een Nederlander? ;)

Kan ik zelf ook niets aan doen. :P

Most Medion/Acer brand PC's don't last very long past their warranty time. But when they do they keep running most of the time. Bit of a lottery. As a hobby/sidejob I build and maintain PC's in the weekends. The quality of known brands (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc) is leagues ahead of those brands. As they mostly cheap out on the PSU and mobo's. But with most things, you get what you pay for and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Seems like I'm one of the lucky ones. Mine has been going strong for quite a while, but I'm considering buying a new PC. I can clone the HDD and copy it to the new HDD right?

I can clone the HDD and copy it to the new HDD right?

At least if you consider Skyrim, you can (and should) have a backup nearby. You can use that to migrate it to another PC.

Cook book:

Spoiler

We did:

• zip (7z) the whole of Skyrim
  • zip (7z) our ModOrganizer folder (round about 11GB for Skyrim and 14GB for MO)
  • copy that monthly/quarterly to an external disk (actually we have more than one to keep backups of important stuff)

After the switch of the PC it was basically just

• reinstall steam
  • let it install Skyrim and the CK
  • overwrite it with our backup (cleaned DLCs, scripts folder, etc .. too much wasted time to rebuild that in single steps, when a simple copy can do the job)
  • copy the MO folder back where it belongs
  • check and fix the paths for MO executables
  • done

1 hour ago, worik said:

At least if you consider Skyrim, you can (and should) have a backup nearby. You can use that to migrate it to another PC.

Cook book:

Reveal hidden contents

We did:

• zip (7z) the whole of Skyrim
  • zip (7z) our ModOrganizer folder (round about 11GB for Skyrim and 14GB for MO)
  • copy that monthly/quarterly to an external disk (actually we have more than one to keep backups of important stuff)

After the switch of the PC it was basically just

• reinstall steam
  • let it install Skyrim and the CK
  • overwrite it with our backup (cleaned DLCs, scripts folder, etc .. too much wasted time to rebuild that in single steps, when a simple copy can do the job)
  • copy the MO folder back where it belongs
  • check and fix the paths for MO executables
  • done

I already regularly make backups. I get nervous around hardware, but I'm much better with software.

Thanks for the tips by the way.

my pc is about 15 years old-lol?-it´s a well sorted system-I build up three different computers by using asus-boards, this is one of it:

(and there´s no need for modding and gaming to invest into more than that)

today you can get the board for about 100euro, used : asus p9 x79 , cpu pentium 3930 (i7), about 40-50 euro-ram i´d buy new and I would invest into a 6-time-ssd slot for front-access-i´d switch over to ssd and buy 1TB, maybe twice at once, create a CD-rom with clonezilla, install windows 7 or 10 and you then have a good working system-i use "be quiet" power-supplys-850w and one single asus 1080ti gpu with 3 ventilators, and you maybe invest into a cpu-cooling system with a big fan....this stuff is very quiet working-under skyrim, the fans rotate at the lower limit.

And if you want to invest into a nice computer-case, have a look at LIAN LI cases-it´s a nice case-system and you can later use it for newer computer-configurations as well. Important is a quality power-supply-and yes, from time to time it´s a good idea to clean dust from the fans away with hovercraft and a brush/pen...and don´t get too close with the hover-craft to the fans, so that they don´t overrotate and cause elecrtic-power into the computer-circuit as generators !!!

Depending, how your existing HDD is configured, you can clone it with clonezilla to a 1TB-SSD...afterwards you have to use a tiny software so to have acces also to the new space and make windows read the whole 1TB-volume then. CLONING meanst you can simply start with your work, where you have stopped on the HDD. CLONEZILLA is free and you only have to download it and burn it onto a CD-R. I have my copy beside my windows 7-ultimate-in the same box;-))

https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Intel-Core-i7-3930K-CPU-3-2-GHz-12MB-6-Core-Prozessor-X79-SR0KY/352840034861?epid=115243572&hash=item5226e7aa2d:g:5sQAAOSwovNdvATt

https://www.ebay.de/itm/ASUS-P9X79-LGA-2011-Sockel-R-Intel-90-MIBHE0-G0AAY00Z-Motherboard/254423530778?epid=115888051&hash=item3b3cd2fd1a:g:0PAAAOSwZEtd0CQ-

https://www.mindfactory.de/Hersteller_Shops/be_quiet_Shop/Hardware/Netzteile+~+USVs+(PSU).html/referrer/category

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/1000GB-Samsung-860-Pro-2-5Zoll--6-4cm--SATA-6Gb-s-3D-MLC-NAND--MZ-76P1T_1225519.hthttps://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Icy-Dock-MB326SP-6x6-3cm-SATAI-III-SSD-SAS-MB326SP-B_1127311.htmlml

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/850-Watt-be-quiet--Dark-Power-Pro-11-Modular-80--Platinum_1002854.html

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xasus+1080ti.TRS0&_nkw=asus+1080ti&_sacat=0

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Delock-Wechselrahmen-5-25-fuer-4-x-2-5-SATA-SAS-HDD-SSD-12-Gb-s_1314366.html

p.s for the ssd-change-frame I´d prefer "Delock"...they had a six-pack-frame-I could not find it anymore.....okay, this parts are also used after lot of time quite expensive...this shall give you only some sort of idea what you could do if you want to build up a quality-computer...one idea of 1000 possibilities!!!

AND: the fans for the SSD-docking-station is only interesting, if you use mainly HDD´s in that slot-if you switch over to SSD, you can let that little fans´s power plugs untouched and hanging down in the case-you don´t need them for cooling a SSD.

AND: "BeQuiet" has also fine CPU-cooling systems which will suit perfectly for such a board with such a prcessor...this stuff you choose by looking to the connector-type for the cpu-socket "2011" it was in the past...the RAM is depending on the boadrs´s socket-offer, too I guess it was DDR4 ram-you can always find that out by reading the boad´s RAM-support. And you don´t need to obtain the fastest RAM-better to have something-rock-solid-tons of RAM-stick available today-LOL.

If you have a custom CPU-cooler installed, the asus BIOS-settings will give you a CPU-drive-speed-fan-failure...this is normal and you can switch inside of the BIOS this error(s) off and save this setup. It´s not possible to have a CPU on this board to smoke-away, because the computer will switch off, if the CPU is overheating. The custom build with a be-quiet-cooler is always driving on the lowerst speed and the CPU is never overheating. Of course should you not overclock such a CPU. If you want to have real power, you have to use intel´s XEON-CPU´s-But this stuff is extreme expensive and you have to use dual-boards or quad-boards. Such stuff is for different computer-tasks, only suiting to a handful of software and for private consumers mostly a sort of "tech-hype".