Also did this, just to put some lore behind the birds. It will be a book you can find in Riverwood or at the bird camps:

The Bird Races
of Skyrim

by
Marcius Carvain,
Viscount Bruma

Any explorer of taste and refinement will find little to recommend itself in the provincial backwater of Skyrim. Yet should such a one find themselves there, will-he, nill-he, they should take the opportunity to see wonders and marvels that might be harder to find within an easy walk of their front door. Not least among these, surely, are the Bird Races of Skyrim.

The unfortunate unrest that has plagued all the provinces of the Empire has resulted in a great displacement of peoples; and the complete breakdown of civil order in Skyrim has brought many such to that unhappy land. Among the rarest of these peoples are the Bird Races. These are as follows:

Ulri: The Ulri or raven people originate from the mountains of Hammerfell. They are proud and self-reliant, generally peaceful but quick to strike back if attacked. Their society is strongly matriarchal, consisting of small bands led by a head woman and her spouse. Their region is poor in natural resources, so these bands can often be found traveling Tamriel to hunt, mine, or earn coin as mercenaries. They favor heavy armor and double-handed weapons, though they are good with a bow as well. I have heard rumors that a small band can be found just southeast of Helgen.

Eagles: Eagles can usually be found soaring the thermals over Cyrodiil. They are strong, clever, and imperious in nature, proud of their culture and prone to be disdainful of others. They favor a sword-and-shield style of combat, though they are as likely to fight with a bow or with magic. Similar to their animal cousins, they prefer the high places of the world. The elves say there are a few to be found camped just west of the Thalmor Embassy. 

Griffons: Griffons are native to the sands of Elsweyr, flying out over the desert from the foothills in the north of the province. Their feline hindquarters suggest a close relationship with the Khajiit, but they themselves deny this and have little friendship for that race. For one Griffon to call another “cat” is a deadly insult. They have little love for Argonians either, possibly because their primary food source is the giant lizards of the desert and Argonians look a little too much like dinner. But they have a cultural affinity for the Orcs and can often be found in the streets and on the battlements of Orcrest. They favor light armor and are often very good with magic. There may be griffons on the rocky outcroppings in the plains west of Whiterun. 

Songbirds: Songbirds, the Children of Y’ffre, are the most varied of Tamriel’s bird species: bright or dull, with the long, slim beaks of insectivores or the thick, short beaks of seed- and nut-eaters, with crests or without. But they are all light, stealthy, and quick, flitting from branch to branch of the sentient trees of Valenwood. They are inveterate travelers, their curiosity drawing them out of their native woods to visit every province of the Empire. They are good with magic and the bow, only drawing swords when pressed. 

Talis: The Talis are a fierce and muscular avian race that might well be descended from dragons, as they claim. Their culture prizes strength, feats of arms, and has a passion for justice; but their enemies speak of a vicious people that hunt in bands, using superior speed and numbers to overwhelm their prey. Always ready for a fight, they have been drawn to Skyrim by the ongoing rebellion, not seeming to care which side they end up on as long as they’re in the middle of the fight.

21 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

Yes, tails are short. Think sexy french maid length.

Hey, apropos of nothing, have you ever wondered why birds *don't* have balls? It hit me the other day that birds are warm-blooded after all, and the standard story is you need the balls on the outside because they need to be cooler than the body. Turns out that's a load of hooey, and there are lots of warm-blooded mammals that carry their balls inside--such as elephants, for example. No one really knows for sure why so many animals keep them outside, but it's been evolved more than once, so there must be a reason.

Can I just say that editing world spaces is a gigantic time sink? I'm doing NPCs now and OMG. 

Probably I'll merge Talis and Vultures into one race just to save time and Talis are awfully vultureish anyway.

I would say its for Aerodynamics but bat balls are fucking huge (literally the size of grapes despite them having tiny bodies) so I have no real idea. It could also be that Mammals specifically evolved to have scrotums.

It's crazier than that. There's a whole branch of mammals including elephants and rock hyraxes and whales that don't have them. Seals don't, but elephant seals do. Marsupials do but evolved them separately from placental mammals, which is how theirs can be upside down. 

Hoped to have a new kit out this weekend, but CK and skin tint layers are eating my lunch. Looks good in CK, doesn't show up in game. Other glitches too, along the way--I have a flock of songbirds in Falkreath that kept going after each other for reasons I still don't understand. In the end I gave them all the "ignore friendly fire" script and that seemed to work. Better anyway for followers to ignore friendly fire by default. 

There will be an esp for NPCs for those who want followers but don't want to play as a bird themselves. There's a flock for each different race in a different place around Skyrim. You can find them at their camp or carousing at the closest inn in the evening. Younger members of each party are available as followers. I just have to finish the Talis race and set up their camp and it will be good to go.

Oh, except that they lose their wings when they go through load doors. I think that's a side effect of it being a magic effect. I think it will be a simple script fix to put the wings back on.

Does anyone understand how trainers work? It's bizzare--they are members of the trainer faction and then of another faction indicating what they're training, but I can't figure out how the training limit is set. I keep getting trainers who tell me I already know everything they know, and I'm just starting out.

50 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

Does anyone understand how trainers work? It's bizzare--they are members of the trainer faction and then of another faction indicating what they're training, but I can't figure out how the training limit is set. I keep getting trainers who tell me I already know everything they know, and I'm just starting out.

The thing is, the "I can't teach you anything else" line is generic and shared so it's immediately available to any NPC tagged as a trainer, but the actual training line where they accept and trigger the training menu is not (those are NPC-specific).

So apart from the whole factions and classes and stuff, you also need to create the dialogue for them to be able to teach you. Can't remember exactly how it was done, but I think I made it work by simply duplicating one of the existing (vanilla) dialogues, changing the checks so they would work on the custom NPCs, and then used one of the shared responses so it wouldn't be silent.

I'll see if I can find any info on how to do it, but in the meantime you can check out the plugin for my Lungaris mod. I added one trainer NPC but otherwise didn't add any other dialogue, so it should be easy to see what's needed for a trainer to work in there.

Huh. I saw that for hirelings--the dialogs are specific to the NPC so it's a bit of fuss to create another hireling--but didn't think to check that for trainers. I'll go look.

Re rule 34, a whole mod to make male khajiit look more feminine? 

24 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

Huh. I saw that for hirelings--the dialogs are specific to the NPC so it's a bit of fuss to create another hireling--but didn't think to check that for trainers. I'll go look.

Yup, AFAIK hirelings have the same problem: the "rejection" dialogue for when you don't have enough gold to hire them is generic/shared and shows up fine as soon as you set up the factions, but the one for actually hiring them is NPC-specific and so a new one needs to be created whenever you add a custom hireling NPC.

Don't blame for not making that connection, everybody knows that femboys are foxes by default, and those were cats instead... :classic_rolleyes:

...plus, looking at the mod description and the author, I'm pretty sure the mod was done for the "kawaii" factor and not specifically for the sexual aspect of it (can't rule out it was a contributing factor, though).

Also for anyone wondering, this is in response to my other post in the Compleat Khajiit thread.

1 hour ago, Bad Dog said:

You mean rule 63 which is basically genderbending?

19 minutes ago, Shadowscale said:

You mean rule 63 which is basically genderbending?

The way I got it, rule 63 is specifically taking an existing and established character and swapping their gender to the opposite one (usually from male to female, though I guess female to male is also done sometimes). In this case, the Skyrim example would be taking a character like Kharjo or Derkeethus and making them female. Or maybe one of the "Female Cicero" and "Female Ulfric" mods, but I really don't care for non-anthros so I wouldn't take those into account. Making "new" feminine male characters (or masculine female ones) wouldn't really qualify for that AFAIK.

In this case, I think Bad Dog meant to say that the mod was focused on feminine-looking male Khajiit, so since those kinds of characters ("femboys") are prevalent in yiff, the mod had been made for the r34 factor aka yiff.

...for the record, I did not intend to start this conversation with my original post, but I was genuinely confused about the r34 mention and now I think I get why it was done, so... there's that, I guess?

Incidentally, my original idea was to turn all the Jarls into birds, which I still think would have been kinda cool. But less generally useful. You can't usually get a jarl as a follower. Though I did sex up Siddgeir once and then pimped out his ass all over Skyrim. 

thanks for making this. love it.
a couple thoughts:

gryphon variants? i used the uunp mesh edit to give mine bigger ears and a broader beak/jawline. worked alright. equipping any boots gives footpaws thanks to your other mods, and seems like tweaking load order can force a khajiit tail instead of the tailfeathers if desired. 

adjustable tailfeather size if possible? depending on the type of bird youre going for, the tailfeathers can seem owfully short... you know what that was a typo but the owl pun stays and i dont apologize.

oh and something nice that you might be able to take advantage of: on load i lose my custom wing color, but entering racemenu allows me to change wing color by changing my skin tone. perhaps a small change can be done to keep this persistant? (not sure if possible: it might be dictated by the dragon wing mod and be unrelated to yours)

and finally: seriously thanks for all these mods. regardless of whether the game is kept clean or mature, the extra variety of anthro species is much welcomed to the game.

Griffons are coming. Heads are basically eagle heads. There's some width variation in the beak already... could be more.

Not sure what to do about tails. Griffons get lion tails. There's no good way to choose the tail for the rest of the birds. Long tails clip through furniture, are awkward with animations of a certain type, and don't have feather-appropriate animations. If someone comes up with a good scheme, I'll adopt it but I haven't thought of anything better so far.

I know about fixing wing color with racemenu but if it's doing what I think it's doing (Game.SetTintMaskColor) that only works for the PC. I don't know of a general fix. 

Okay, new test version up! Test it out and tell me what you think. There are a few annoying bugs still but I got tired of hassling with them and figured I'd let y'all have a go at it.

The craziest is some of the NPCs have started insulting you, using insults I haven't heard before in Skyrim. "Hey, melon-nose!" "Hey, skeever-breath!" I have no idea where this is coming from. I chased around looking for the source and I'm stumped. If anyone has seen anything like this before, let me know.

I'm still being driven mad by tint layers. I'm pretty sure that racemenu requires that the tint indices be unique, at least within a race, but CK does not. That is one cause of tints on presets getting messed up. But it can't be the whole story because I walked through every layer of the Talis race, both sexes, making sure that the indices were unique, and then I made sure the preset NPCs referenced the right index, and it's still messed up. Ideas welcome. The only thing I can think is that racemenu wants the indices to be unique across the whole esp. I'll try writing a script to make sure they're unique and see if that does anything good.

Wings ought to stay across load doors and saves. The way it works now is that your NPC will always have the mutagen potion on them--so don't take it away. If they get stripped of their wings by a load door they drink the potion then replace it. 

I still don't have a way to color the wings. I got a brief note from Anton saying that his animation mechanism does depend on their being a magic effect. I'm imagining there's a way to animate them like the tails are animated, but that's not the way they work and changing it is beyond what I can do at this point. 

You'll see I split out the digitigrade feet into a patch mod. So you don't have to have those if you don't want them.

No bird tits yet. Might still happen.

7 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

The craziest is some of the NPCs have started insulting you, using insults I haven't heard before in Skyrim. "Hey, melon-nose!" "Hey, skeever-breath!" I have no idea where this is coming from. I chased around looking for the source and I'm stumped. If anyone has seen anything like this before, let me know.

I've only seen those dialogues show up when you spawn a clone of the player and try to talk to them; I'm also pretty sure those are the player's "dialogues" for when you use the Throw Voice shout (so maybe that's why they show up on the NPC version of the player?).

Have you added the birds to the PlayerFaction or something like that? If so, I don't think you are supposed to use that faction like that; otherwise, I can't think of any other reason for it to happen.

7 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

No bird tits yet. Might still happen.

Hopefully they will, yes 

I did add the NPCs to PlayerFaction and they are the "throw voice" comments.  I added them to PlayerFaction because the songbirds were getting into fights and I read someplace that you couldn't just give them the DefaultIgnoreFriendlyFire script, you had to put them in the PlayerFaction too. But that's about the time the bug showed up so this is almost certainly the problem. 

This mod is entirely independent of MM bird people.

I didn't get a npc esp when i downloaded the update last night

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
RaceCompatibility.esm=1
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm=1
CellanRace.esm=1
BadDogSchlongCore.esm=1
HighResTexturePack01.esp=1
HighResTexturePack02.esp=1