======================
== Circumcision mod ==
======================

This mod add new traits to male character allowing them to be uncircumcised or circumcised.

Other characters migh have preferences on the matter and will have varing opinion of the characters. Using targetted decision on yourself, on your family and on your prisonrs, you can also change the status of a man (obviously, it is only available one way!). There are also a few events and actions available that will trigger when appropriate. The various cultures and religions will act as appropriate when it comes to making the circumcision decisions.

As per some request I have received, options and traits relating to female circumcision were added. This content is turned OFF by default and needs to be enabled in the game rules (when starting a new game). Some of these decisions can be usefull, for instance when having issues with a wife who is generating too many bastards.

If you notice something wrong, let me know and I will try to fix it. Suggestions are also more than welcome.

Note that althought this mods works extremely well with Dark World Reborn, it does not require it. This mod is completely compatible with the vanilla CK2 (no required DLC). But it does require version 2.8 or later of the game.

==================
== Installation ==
==================

Simply download the zip file unzip it in your crusader king mod folder (make sure the CircMod.mod file and the CircMod folder are  DIRECTLY in the mod folder). Your mod filder is in your users document (~Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\) When launching CK2, the mod should be available in your mod list.

========================
== Credits and thanks ==
========================

A big thanks to the Dark World Reborn by dewguru. The inspiration of this mod came from his excellent work. Some of this mods mechanics are also heavily inspired by his work and the way he handled other "dick related" status.

A huge thanks to Herring for creating great new custom icons for the traits of this mod.

View File

Interesting, can I make a few interesting suggestions?

My suggestions are that you have a trait for the "supposed" original circumcision where the glans are partially exposed and then a trait for a restored foreskin where someone wore a device to gradually extend there's for one reason or another.

According to research I've done into the topic, circumcision which fully removes the prepuce and exposes the glans was only started around 130 AC. Before then, circumcision (or at least the jewish cut) only removed the foreskin which extended beyond the glans. Then during the Hellenistic and Roman periods, attempts to outlaw circumcision caused some in the population to start wearing small weights to extend their foreskins overtime so that they could fit in with the Greeks/Romans. In response, the Jewish authorities introduced the more extreme version of the cut "periah" to discourage this "uncircumcision practice" among their fellow jews.

Feel free to fact check me on all of the above.

49 minutes ago, WarLordXII said:

According to research I've done into the topic, circumcision which fully removes the prepuce and exposes the glans was only started around 130 AC. Before then, circumcision (or at least the jewish cut) only removed the foreskin which extended beyond the glans. Then during the Hellenistic and Roman periods, attempts to outlaw circumcision caused some in the population to start wearing small weights to extend their foreskins overtime so that they could fit in with the Greeks/Romans. In response, the Jewish authorities introduced the more extreme version of the cut "periah" to discourage this "uncircumcision practice" among their fellow jews.

130AC? I assume you mean 130AD?

I did not know about what you mentioned. I checked it out and it seems you are right. The tradition of fully removing all the foreskin started to prevent followers from looking uncircumcised by using strings to pull it forward (specially during the roman Olympics which were all practiced nude at the time). I have not found anything about the "extender device", but that does not mean it never existed!!

But as far as the mod goes, I'm not sure how to incorporate it in it.

First, the earliest CK2 starts is 772AD, so that is well after 130AD. So presumably, the circumcision trend of the time was the fully bared tip. And not the half cut style.

Secondly, gaming wise, what would be the traits benefit from having a "re-stretched foreskin"? Just Something like half the opinion modifiers from characters with the opposite preference?

At first I was thinking of maybe adding like a scale.

uncut: Long foreskin, average foreskin, short foreskin

cut: loosely cut, tight cut, very tight cut.

But I decided to go with "circ/uncirc" to start with. It was quicker to code. And I was not sure of the bonus/penalty each of those level would give out.

1 hour ago, coleman1 said:

130AC? I assume you mean 130AD?

I did not know about what you mentioned. I checked it out and it seems you are right. The tradition of fully removing all the foreskin started to prevent followers from looking uncircumcised by using strings to pull it forward (specially during the roman Olympics which were all practiced nude at the time). I have not found anything about the "extender device", but that does not mean it never existed!!

But as far as the mod goes, I'm not sure how to incorporate it in it.

First, the earliest CK2 starts is 772AD, so that is well after 130AD. So presumably, the circumcision trend of the time was the fully bared tip. And not the half cut style.

Secondly, gaming wise, what would be the traits benefit from having a "re-stretched foreskin"? Just Something like half the opinion modifiers from characters with the opposite preference?

At first I was thinking of maybe adding like a scale.

uncut: Long foreskin, average foreskin, short foreskin

cut: loosely cut, tight cut, very tight cut.

But I decided to go with "circ/uncirc" to start with. It was quicker to code. And I was not sure of the bonus/penalty each of those level would give out.

Hmmm...

Well, you could have an event where a character with high learning finds out about the changes made in 130 AD and can make the choice to privately "re stretch" over the course of months or years depending on their personal commitment. Or, they could cause controversy by publicly announcing the change and wanting to reverse it, earning the ire of traditionalists and potentially sparking a revolt/civil war. Kind of like all of the jewish revolts that the greeks and romans had to face.

I guess have a re-stretched foreskin would just give you the uncut traits for gameplay purposes. At first it would be short and then it gets longer as months/years pass. But it would give a personal modifier to learning and diplomacy for getting something out of the thing you committed to? Just a thought.

Well, there's no hurry. Just add on and change the mod as you go along and learn more about coding.

9 minutes ago, WarLordXII said:

I guess have a re-stretched foreskin would just give you the uncut traits for gameplay purposes. At first it would be short and then it gets longer as months/years pass. But it would give a personal modifier to learning and diplomacy for getting something out of the thing you committed to? Just a thought.

You have something similar at the moment. There is a prestige hit to get yourself circumcised. For your sons, there is a prestige hit to choose the opposite option than for you.

To me, prestige seemed more appropriate as it more relates to the opinion other people have of the ruler. Would you feel learning and diplomacy would be a more fitting?

1 hour ago, coleman1 said:

You have something similar at the moment. There is a prestige hit to get yourself circumcised. For your sons, there is a prestige hit to choose the opposite option than for you.

To me, prestige seemed more appropriate as it more relates to the opinion other people have of the ruler. Would you feel learning and diplomacy would be a more fitting?

I guess prestige works well enough.

54 minutes ago, thelostwalrus said:

Love the concept myself, it's a really niche thing, but I like it.

I would probably not give a fertility bonus to being cut. I think maybe a small health bonus, and perhaps a very small fertilty bonus for being uncut?

I second that suggestion somewhat.

To my knowledge, there's no reliable evidence to suggest that being cut or uncut makes one more significantly fertile or even more healthy. (Being cut makes you no less likely to get an STD if you're still taking lustful and hedonistic risks)

Historically, "the cut" has been a religious and cultural thing whereas "health and hygiene" is more modern and frankly dubious for reasons I won't get into here.

On 08/02/2018 at 9:34 PM, coleman1 said:

View FileUsing targetted decision on yourself, on your family and on your prisonrs, you can also change the status of a man (obviously, it is only available one way!).

Well there ARE women with penises (futanari) in the dark world mods, so it might be interesting to take them into account too.

6 hours ago, WarLordXII said:

I second that suggestion somewhat.

To my knowledge, there's no reliable evidence to suggest that being cut or uncut makes one more significantly fertile or even more healthy. (Being cut makes you no less likely to get an STD if you're still taking lustful and hedonistic risks)

Historically, "the cut" has been a religious and cultural thing whereas "health and hygiene" is more modern and frankly dubious for reasons I won't get into here.

True, I would agree with that. I do feel the current rather generous fertility bonus is really high and I would be fine doing away with bonuses like that all together. But if there must be, I would make them smaller and as I suggested.

Some more stuff you may not know that might be useful:

Beyond Jewish practice, most of Europe did not endorse (and fortunately still doesn't) male genital mutilation.  There is a very heated debate today about whether or not parents have the right to have such mutilations performed on their children at birth. 

The practice became widespread in America due to the efforts of Dr. Kellogg who used it to help reduce masturbation and decrease the sexual pleasure males feel so they would be less promiscuous.  There is also debate in the scientific community as to whether being cut improves STD resistance or actually adds to the susceptibility.

11 hours ago, penzor said:

Well there ARE women with penises (futanari) in the dark world mods, so it might be interesting to take them into account too.

I actually wanted to take futanari into account in my mod. But I also wanted to be vanilla compatible. So I can't directly use any of the dark mod calls.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to the "has_dlc" that allows to test for a mod (something like "has_mod") ?

21 minutes ago, coleman1 said:

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to the "has_dlc" that allows to test for a mod (something like "has_mod") ?

If only!  Gods that would be nice.

The closest we can get is searching for a global flag for those mods that set them.  All of mine do, and DWR has returned to doing so.

9 hours ago, noxbestia said:

The closest we can get is searching for a global flag for those mods that set them.  All of mine do, and DWR has returned to doing so.

Thats what I feared.

For darkMod, I assume "has_global_flag = Dark_World_Reborn_Present" is the best global flag to check?

I just added version 1.01. Enjoy

As always, let me know if you find anything wrong with the mod

V1.01
-----
- Added possible accident when performing circumcisions
- Newly wed husbands will now be dissapointed of their new wife if she prefers a circumcision status other than what they have.
- Added cc_circMod_present global flag to allow modded to check for this mod presence.
- Added support for DarkMod futa (mod is still vanilla compatible)
- Added french translation.

16 hours ago, coleman1 said:

I just added version 1.01. Enjoy

As always, let me know if you find anything wrong with the mod.

Thanks for the update. I like the new icons.

Some easy-to-fix stuff for your next update would be removing the period at the ending of the trait names as its a bit jarring. Everything else would just fall into the realm of suggestions like I've mentioned before.

6 hours ago, coleman1 said:

Please do.

Will you be including the whole mod or just the traits?

Just the traits.  I'll leave the rest of the MOD optional for anyone who wants to run it.  That will also give you more dev freedom.  However, if you need anything in mine to hook into yours, any special flags, override checks, etc, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, NoxBestia said:

Just the traits.  I'll leave the rest of the MOD optional for anyone who wants to run it.  That will also give you more dev freedom.  However, if you need anything in mine to hook into yours, any special flags, override checks, etc, let me know.

Just to be sure, that means the traits will be defined twice. Once in Darkmod and once in my mod (I need to define them otherwise the mod won't be vanilla compatible anymore).

How will CK2 behave when encountering both traits? Will it simply merge them since they have the exact same name?