SexLab SE - Sex Animation Framework v1.66b - 01/18/2024

Warning: Ranting about a somewhat minor topic here...

So earlier today... I mostly finished the base system for SexLab to interpret SLAL json files for its own use without JContainers or SLAL itself...  This sounds like a good thing, but the more I work on it the more I hate the idea. I'm going to finish the feature for the final 1.63 update, but I do so begrudgingly... 

It just feels dirty. Majority of users are going to complain about it not working regardless of this effort. The only thing I'm enabling by adding this feels like allowing this, is giving people the ability to fuck up. Since the majority of users won't bother to know they have to convert the animation files to 64 bit still. I feel like I may just be making the support issue significantly worse by accepting SLAL json files into the framework, while the hkx animation files likely remain unconverted by most users.

SexLab's own system for json animation loading has existed for a long, long while now. And is easier to use than SLAL, imo. It should be an easy conversion for most animation packers. And if not, I'd be happy to provide the conversion for animators myself if they message me. This would allow them to work with the upcoming 1.63 for SE, and existing oldrim 1.62. Albeit, in two separate packs since the hkx files still have to be different.

On a semi-related note... @fore would it be possible to add a function to the FNIS scripts that return true or false if there was a non-64bit animation file present? Either specifically by file check or in a general sense. Such a function would be useful to me in helping inform users about what they are doing wrong and hopefully save us both support woes.

5 hours ago, Slammer64 said:

Doesn't UI Extensions use a skse dll? If it does, we'll have to wait on getting that ported as well.

Actually no it doesn't, just a esp and a bsa. I tried just extracting the bsa and using the loose files, but that  didn't work so I used the archive.exe in the tools folder, and created a bsa and used that. It works fine but no mouse control with the menu wheel, I have to use the arrow keys to navigate the menu.

1 hour ago, Ashal said:

So earlier today... I mostly finished the base system for SexLab to interpret SLAL json files for its own use without JContainers or SLAL itself...  This sounds like a good thing, but the more I work on it the more I hate the idea. I'm going to finish the feature for the final 1.63 update, but I do so begrudgingly... 

It just feels dirty. Majority of users are going to complain about it not working regardless of this effort. The only thing I'm enabling by adding this feels like allowing this, is giving people the ability to fuck up. Since the majority of users won't bother to know they have to convert the animation files to 64 bit still. I feel like I may just be making the support issue significantly worse by accepting SLAL json files into the framework, while the hkx animation files likely remain unconverted by most users.

SexLab's own system for json animation loading has existed for a long, long while now. And is easier to use than SLAL, imo. It should be an easy conversion for most animation packers. And if not, I'd be happy to provide the conversion for animators myself if they message me. This would allow them to work with the upcoming 1.63 for SE, and existing oldrim 1.62. Albeit, in two separate packs since the hkx files still have to be different.

On a semi-related note... @fore would it be possible to add a function to the FNIS scripts that return true or false if there was a non-64bit animation file present? Either specifically by file check or in a general sense. Such a function would be useful to me in helping inform users about what they are doing wrong and hopefully save us both support woes.

hm... There is a check box in the GenerateFNISforUsers SE XXL tool for testing compatibility. And it works. I guess the only thing that you can do is to point this out in BIG LETTERS.

Same for Fore... 

As far as I am concerned I can just say, that you did a good job with the Beta. Reading this threat makes me feel, that about 99% of the issues are not related to the mod itself but to other mods that are not officially ported or to issues of the users themself (I'm pointing on me, too).

My way of saying:

THANK YOU!

According to the featuer of adding json files.... How can this be done?

2 hours ago, Ashal said:

I think there's already a check for that in the newest version of it on SE, though I think that's mainly to exclude them instead of list them but I haven't tried to test it.

Regarding the conversions, you do mean we have to convert the Animations but the json files themselves don't need to be touched correct? Or will it require additional steps to port over animations packs?

On another note I tried TDF prostitution and it seemed to break my sexlab set up somehow. I was playing the Ygnord custom race from ECE and raiding a bandit camp, I also had that new bandit sex slave mod but that one didn't interfere before so I feel safe assuming it was TDF. Anyway what occurred was that during this new game I had not tested the sex animations yet only to find that a good chunk of the time they don't run when initialized, or they sort of started but didn't play the actual animations or only one side played the animations. This was completely random, about 50% failing after stripping, 30% only playing one person's animations, 10% playing the animations and going infinitely, and 10% actually working normally for a few seconds before aborting. When I checked the command code list it basically just said the thread initiated, had about 10+ seconds of lag then ended. There was also this weird error where a couple times after saying yes to having sex the Race Menu activates. I don't have Race Menu, I don't even have Race Menu Alternative installed, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!? Oh, also the free cam broke when the Animations went on infitintely, and it was infinitely since they reached the cum animation and just looped back around or let me swap animations out.

48 minutes ago, squirrellydood said:

I think there's already a check for that in the newest version of it on SE, though I think that's mainly to exclude them instead of list them but I haven't tried to test it.

Regarding the conversions, you do mean we have to convert the Animations but thejson files themselves don't need to be touched correct? Or will it require additional steps to port over animations packs?

• Yes, there's a check for it in the newest FNIS. But it's an optional checkbox. My life as a mod creator has informed me that a vocal portion of the audience will never notice that checkbox. Which is why I'm seeking an in-game solution now.

• As I plan it right now... the JSON files from SLAL will work as is. But that'll do nothing about making people convert the hkx files to 64bit, as required. I am however starting to feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot here by allowing this to happen. I'm putting a band-aid on a gushing open wound.

In the long run, SLAL packs will work. But they will STILL require the user to update the hkx animation files. Making this entire effort pretty pointless in the long run. I'm basically just removing half of the steps needed to make old animation packs work. Which isn't much, but it is something.
3 hours ago, Ashal said:

As said before, FNIS already has this HKX compatibility check, and I don't think I can make much more.

It is impossible to make a check with Papyrus scripts, because that would require Papyrus reading arbitrary files.

It would be possible to generally check all files in FNIS, and have the result (yes/no) ready for an FNIS script. But I refuse to do this. Read 20,000+ files for EVERYONE just for this (rarely done) check?

What I could see as a solution is an SKSE plugin. But that's not something I need to do. But if someone wants to, the logic how to figure out if a file is incompatible is rather simple. Here is the important part of the VB code: 

Dim hkx_char = New Byte(17) {}
                Dim inputFile = IO.File.Open(hkx_filename, IO.FileMode.Open)

inputFile.Read(hkx_char, 0, 17)
                inputFile.Close()

If Strings.Left(System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetString(hkx_char), 5) = "<?xml" Then Return 0

If ((SkyrimEdition = 1) And (hkx_char(16) <> 4)) Or ((SkyrimEdition = 2) And (hkx_char(16) <> 8)) Then Return 1

Return 0

2 hours ago, Ashal said:

• Yes, there's a check for it in the newest FNIS. But it's an optional checkbox. My life as a mod creator has informed me that a vocal portion of the audience will never notice that checkbox. Which is why I'm seeking an in-game solution now.

• As I plan it right now... the JSON files from SLAL will work as is. But that'll do nothing about making people convert the hkx files to 64bit, as required. I am however starting to feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot here by allowing this to happen. I'm putting a band-aid on a gushing open wound.

In the long run, SLAL packs will work. But they will STILL require the user to update the hkx animation files. Making this entire effort pretty pointless in the long run. I'm basically just removing half of the steps needed to make old animation packs work. Which isn't much, but it is something.

Users can see SSE compatibility or not too, even if I know that some have already try to install SLAL packs on SSE. ^^

The original Json of Sexlab is not hard to understand, I do not know if it's really useful to use/read the SLAL ones, as you said the hkx need to be convert too anyway and you are going to loose hair with some support.

Until now If I still use SLAL it's mainly for easier packs management in MCM, I do not know if you plan a packs management in Sexlab?

11 hours ago, Ashal said:

A script to take SLAL form and make it into a Sexlab form? 

1 minute ago, fred200 said:

Sexlab Animation Loader.

Ah thanks. Much as I like the mod, it does indeed have a bit of clunky issues. 

Seeing that the Beta is nearly done though, think it’s time to move over to SSE. Tired of rebooting every new game and still receive script bloat. 32 bit just can’t handle todays mods anymore. Unless it’s entirely from Legacy, which had 0 dealings with till now. 

Or could be I have over 240 mods, even after I merge them to decrease the number. If anything, I am stressing it out more. 

8 minutes ago, rogdar said:

Quick question :smile: i tried the defeat conversion, followed the steps on this topic and everything seems fine, tried the surrender scene and it triggered,robbed my char etc, but when the animations should start, they just start attacking again. 

Wait, there’s a defeat conversion? How complicated is it to convert?

12 minutes ago, Azurahawk said:

Wait, there’s a defeat conversion? How complicated is it to convert?

well successfully? mmm still working on that, now i know why the animation didn't start, it was my fault (CK erased a SKSE script xD) but now my other issue, instead of the animation the two characters just stare at each other, then both ''fuse'' together but no animation whatsoever xD ( i did the SL light and SL SE Beta merge for the animations, also ran the FNIS again but no luck, don't get a t-pose either, it just doesn't animate XD ) 

thanks in advance. 

2 minutes ago, rogdar said:

well successfully? mmm still working on that, now i know why the animation didn't start, it was my fault (CK erased a SKSE script xD) but now my other issue, instead of the animation the two characters just stare at each other, then both ''fuse'' together but no animation whatsoever xD ( i did the SL light and SL SE Beta merge for the animations, also ran the FNIS again but no luck, don't get a t-pose either, it just doesn't animate XD ) 

thanks in advance. 

Well I have defeat running with no issues. When you ran FNIS did you click the HKX file compatibility box?

10 hours ago, squirrellydood said:

Regarding the conversions, you do mean we have to convert the Animations but the json files themselves don't need to be touched correct? Or will it require additional steps to port over animations packs?

On another note I tried TDF prostitution and it seemed to break my sexlab set up somehow. I was playing the Ygnord custom race from ECE and raiding a bandit camp, I also had that new bandit sex slave mod but that one didn't interfere before so I feel safe assuming it was TDF. Anyway what occurred was that during this new game I had not tested the sex animations yet only to find that a good chunk of the time they don't run when initialized, or they sort of started but didn't play the actual animations or only one side played the animations. This was completely random, about 50% failing after stripping, 30% only playing one person's animations, 10% playing the animations and going infinitely, and 10% actually working normally for a few seconds before aborting. When I checked the command code list it basically just said the thread initiated, had about 10+ seconds of lag then ended. There was also this weird error where a couple times after saying yes to having sex the Race Menu activates. I don't have Race Menu, I don't even have Race Menu Alternative installed, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!? Oh, also the free cam broke when the Animations went on infitintely, and it was infinitely since they reached the cum animation and just looped back around or let me swap animations out.

TDF Scenes for Followers and a 3rd Person are not triggered correctly. They seem to be triggered by a dialog and those dialogs don't appear, even if subtitles are enabled in SSE.

This is the only issue that I had with TDF. (I'm using the addon, too. Maybe it changes some scripts, but this would not explain the other things you mentioned.)

It seems like we have to wait for Fuz Ro Doh to be ported. The author is working on it.

24 minutes ago, Pfiffy said:

TDF Scenes for Followers and a 3rd Person are not triggered correctly. They seem to be triggered by a dialog and those dialogs don't appear, even if subtitles are enabled in SSE.

This is the only issue that I had with TDF. (I'm using the addon, too. Maybe it changes some scripts, but this would not explain the other things you mentioned.)

It seems like we have to wait for Fuz Ro Doh to be ported. The author is working on it.

It wasn't a dialogue thing, there was one of the mods auto-triggering sex scenes between the slaves and the bandits. Not sure which one but I am sure it wouldn't cause global problems in sex scene loading since the only new sexlab mod I'd installed at that point was TDF. So it was dialogueless sex scenes between NPCs that were triggering every 20-40 seconds that had the characters strip and teleport to each other and start to moan before reclothing and ending the scene.

13 hours ago, Ashal said:

We appreciate your effort but you should fix the problems with the current release of SL. some SL functions don't work if implement through CK such as sexlab.getanimationsbyname and sexlab.getcreatureslot . 

So far I managed to convert

TDF
Aroused Redux
Attraction
Approach
Defeat (changing animation page causes immediate crash, everything else about it working)
Cult of Dibella
Combat Arousal
Sexlab Solutions
Sexlab Dialogues
Simple Masochism
ZaZAnimationPack (MCM loads have not tried much with it yet)

After an hour of testing with about 50 other mods I'm considering these stabilish. There is still no dialogue response from npcs, although the pc has options available, animations are working for me. I am guessing this is related to not having Fus Ro D'oh for SE yet. I heard that's on the way.

As for animations. Some took almost a minute or so to load at first. Some of these mods are set to be updated every few seconds and things run smoother if you increase the time they run checks on actors. Though since I also merged SL lite animations into SL SE 1.63 Beta, I now have a lot of animations I really don't need. Is it simple enough to just delete the hkx animations files I don't need without breaking everything? Or do I also have to change other breakable things.