Is there a way to apply textures only to the player?

ZeroListGram

Interesting topic... I thought almost assuredly there was something like Unique Player (Fallout 4 mod) for Skyrim, but apparently there is not.  I may look in to this and see if I can't recreate it.  Basically Unique Player creates a custom path for the player's body mesh and textures.  There is another called Unique Follower which does the same for companions.

I'll check things out and post back.

I have a working proof of concept for this.  It's quite a bit of work since there are so many races.  In Fallout, there is only the human race, so it's much more straightforward.  I currently able to have a custom body mesh and texture set for my Imperial character's body.  Working on the head/face at the moment, then will add support for the other races.  In my POC testing, it worked with or without armor/clothing on, as I had hoped for. :smile:

I am wondering what this will do for all of the mods that currently support the default player's files locations (like SoS for example).  Once I get it working, I'll add it to my main game and test things out.

Damnit!  Yatol to the rescue with that sarcasm and wit once again...  In 5 seconds searching google... I came across this:

Oldrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/44938/

Nerim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3006/

Does exactly what I was doing.  I got it working nicely on my own though, so there's that.  I got to the point where the head didn't match the body, and it looks like that may not be possible.  The author of the oldrim version seemingly ran in to the same issue and either didn't or couldn't resolve it.

53 minutes ago, AWP3RATOR said:

I got to the point where the head didn't match the body, and it looks like that may not be possible.  The author of the oldrim version seemingly ran in to the same issue and either didn't or couldn't resolve it.

really?

how come my nord don't look like the other nords then if it's not possible?

Supported files:
-- Textures --
femalebody_1.dds
femalebody_1_msn.dds
femalebody_1_s.dds
femalebody_1_sk.dds
femalehands_1.dds
femalehands_1_msn.dds
femalehands_1_s.dds
femalehands_1_sk.dds
malebody_1.dds
malebody_1_msn.dds
malebody_1_s.dds
malebody_1_sk.dds
malehands_1.dds
malehands_1_msn.dds
malehands_1_s.dds
malehands_1_sk.dds

i don't see any femalehead.dds there

how bout taking a look at the readme before downloading mods to whine it doesn't do what you were expecting?

actually using a custom race is the easiest solution and most straightforward

just download a race mod, replace it's textures and meshes with your own and it's done

i suppose bodychange works as well...it's your choice

but remember that if you are going with custom race to add appropriate skeleton to that race as well (if it has it's own prepacked, it could be ponting towards default skyrim skeleton tho)

7 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

Damnit!  Yatol to the rescue with that sarcasm and wit once again...  In 5 seconds searching google... I came across this:

Oldrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/44938/

Nerim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3006/

Does exactly what I was doing.  I got it working nicely on my own though, so there's that.  I got to the point where the head didn't match the body, and it looks like that may not be possible.  The author of the oldrim version seemingly ran in to the same issue and either didn't or couldn't resolve it.

Thanks for your work and the links, this looks really interesting. I had a look at this mod before and not being able to change the head texture is a real problem as the head texture as to match both body textures due to the neck seam. This makes it kind of pointless because then your stuck to one body texture again.

I'm not sure how bodychange does it, but it's able to replace the head and body textures.

10 hours ago, yatol said:

really?

how come my nord don't look like the other nords then if it's not possible?

Supported files:
-- Textures --
femalebody_1.dds
femalebody_1_msn.dds
femalebody_1_s.dds
femalebody_1_sk.dds
femalehands_1.dds
femalehands_1_msn.dds
femalehands_1_s.dds
femalehands_1_sk.dds
malebody_1.dds
malebody_1_msn.dds
malebody_1_s.dds
malebody_1_sk.dds
malehands_1.dds
malehands_1_msn.dds
malehands_1_s.dds
malehands_1_sk.dds

i don't see any femalehead.dds there

how bout taking a look at the readme before downloading mods to whine it doesn't do what you were expecting?

Not sure why how come to be honest.  I stopped looking at it when you noted there were other mods that already did what the OP asked for ;)  I meant mostly that I couldn't get mine to work straight away.  At any rate, problem solved for OP.

Archived