Microsoft is fixing Skyrim's memory problem with Windows10 and DX9

prinyo

On win10 Skyrim is currently locked to 4 gigs addressable period, including graphics.

With the fix, skyrim's DATA will still be locked to 4 gigs period, Skyrim's rendering will, on the other hand, not be locked to anything but the size of your graphics card's VRAM, where 8 gigs is rapidly becoming the norm; thus allowing ENB and any other re-allocation app to offload Skyrim stuff in your VRAM for unlimited prettiness, as well all the papyrus hogging script bullshit you could want, via cheating the 4 gig limit by spawning multiple copies of itself.

This also means good news for the Mass Effect trilogy and The Witcher 2, both of which can now be run at 4/8K without Win10 exploding your shit.

• 3 weeks later...

Everybody thinks windows 10 is sooooo great until we get some more collision with reality like this: https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/03/21/microsoft_modifies_windows_10_for_chinarsquos_government

So if a guberment can tell macroshit to stop screwing around and put up or shut up then why can't everyone else in the world? Windows 7 works just fine for oldrim and crusty ol DX9 and if people ever get newrim figured out so maybe the majority of mods from oldrim works on newrim then problem solved. Last time I checked on DX12 it was having some problems with that ashes of the singularity game, what else uses DX12? I think sniper elite 4 uses it but that game is kinda meh graphically.

EDIT

Why is ms so concerned with pc gamers? Because that is the only thing other than some business and other sectors keeping windows 7 around. PC gaming is supposed to be makin lots of money this year and some kind of increased interest in PC gamers is happening this year so they are just trying everything they can to move people out of windows 7 somehow. No matter what ms does it won't work they are notorious for not listening to their customers and since they are the only game in town it is their way or no way for everyone they still want to force into compliance. Long term I think steam will get bigger and maybe find a way to get that bass ackwards upside down linux to actually sing and dance for pc gamers maybe push out some console of their own maybe and some other company might step up to meet the needs of business to challenge ms we will see who knows.

I am not putting any faith in Steam/Linux, or Chrome for that matter.  Both Valve and Google see software as services and neither care about the openness that made made PC great.  When was the last time Valve made a game that is not based on micro-transactions?  Or how hard Google has been trying to build its own walled garden like Apple?

For better or worse Windows is the only field where there is still enough resistance left to prevent MS from going Apple/Google on us.

EDIT: So this fix still only benefits people with more than 4GB of VRAM, right?  So no one owning card made before 2015 need to care?

The  fix is in the current build, 16232. Now ENB with autodetect shows a bit over 28 gig of vram available. Can't see that it made any difference yet though, as I've only been in oldrim a few minutes.

Neat. the DX11 VRAM test will depress me less then since when i run that one i get 61152 but with the DX9 one i get 4064

I'm not on the insider program so i'll have to wait for it to come out as a standard patch but will be nice to have similar values for DX9 to DX11

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: So this fix still only benefits people with more than 4GB of VRAM, right? So no one owning card made before 2015 need to care?

Nope, ENB / ENBoost allows you to allocate any amount of RAM in addition to your VRAM to be used in Skyrim. This can be a big trade-off since your system RAM will be significantly slower than the VRAM, however it does massively increase the overall stability while multiplying the amount/size of mods you can safely add to the game.

Having RAM chips as fast as possible is the key here, although that's true for most performance-hungry games as well. For example i'm running Fallout 4 (DX11) perfectly stable with 24000MB allocated in ENB, while Skyrim just crashes randomly with 3712MB.

You probably don't want to exceed the amount of RAM+VRAM minus whatever Windows and other apps require as upkeep in the background. Otherwise it will start using the pagefile (using the HDD to swap things in and out of RAM).

The  fix is in the current build, 16232. Now ENB with autodetect shows a bit over 28 gig of vram available. Can't see that it made any difference yet though, as I've only been in oldrim a few minutes.

Neat. the DX11 VRAM test will depress me less then since when i run that one i get 61152 but with the DX9 one i get 4064

I'm not on the insider program so i'll have to wait for it to come out as a standard patch but will be nice to have similar values for DX9 to DX11

Careful with the DX11 VRamSizeTest, this does include your current pagefile (that's why it reports different numbers if you let Windows automate the pagefile). For me it just showed over 80GB ;-)

Stick to the old (RAM)+(VRAM)-(X) formula when adjusting your enblocal.ini

If people are wondering why Skyrim used DirectX 9 instead of 11, its more than likely because it Skyrim was primarily designed to run on consoles (hence the awful stock UI+each city being its own cell), and since the Xbox 360 used a version of DirectX 9 it was easier to develop around it than 11. Also the engine was quite old even in 2011.

If people are wondering why Skyrim used DirectX 9 instead of 11, its more than likely because it Skyrim was primarily designed to run on consoles (hence the awful stock UI+each city being its own cell), and since the Xbox 360 used a version of DirectX 9 it was easier to develop around it than 11. Also the engine was quite old even in 2011.

Way back in 2011, a very large subset of gamers were still using Windows XP. Remember, most of us refused to go to Vista with it's own plethora of problems. Vista introduced DX10, and when 7  (with DX11) install numbers became the majority, Skyrim was already done and Bethesda was working on Fallout 4.

Operating system usage has the biggest impact when the devs decide on game engine features. It had nothing to do with consoles until fairly recently, and the recent consoles are the main reason we are now getting 64 bit games.

Way back in 2011, a very large subset of gamers were still using Windows XP. Remember, most of us refused to go to Vista with it's own plethora of problems. Vista introduced DX10, and when 7  (with DX11) install numbers became the majority, Skyrim was already done and Bethesda was working on Fallout 4.

Operating system usage has the biggest impact when the devs decide on game engine features. It had nothing to do with consoles until fairly recently, and the recent consoles are the main reason we are now getting 64 bit games.

Back in 2011 Windows 7 was gaining significant marketshare though, as it had been out for 2 years and people were loving it as much as XP.

Back in 2011 Windows 7 was gaining significant marketshare though, as it had been out for 2 years and people were loving it as much as XP.

That is true. However, the target demographic was still strongly split. Devs have to weight the decisions made according to their economic models. There are a lot of niche sim developers who had to make the same decision at that time too. It is what it is, and it's pointless arguing the fact using hindsight as a point of argument.

BAD NEWS:

I have tested the new build and I can confirm that it now works with Windows 10 testing via the VramSizeDX9.exe. But Mod Organizer user unfortunately it wont work, I have no idea why but it launches the game but no virtual memor.y

when I load SKSE from MO  none of my mods or saves are there and with tannin working for the nexus I don't think we can expect an update.

EDIT: The build I used was Windows Build 16241.1001 (rs_prerelease) but someone in the comment section said build 16232 worked for him so

i'll test that.

GOOD NEWS:

EDIT 2: Tested Windows Build 16232. (rs_prerelease) it Works! (You get this build through the slow process of windows insider program.)

EDIT 3: Got a hold of the Mod Organizer creator Tannin and he said if something were too happen he still stands

that he will no longer supporter it but its open source so anyone could look into it, also not to mention he also stated that there shouldn't

be any reason that changes to DX9 would affect how MO uses its hooking method. The only reason he sees is that they have

there own debugging hooks in place for the alpha update which will be removed once its released.

BAD NEWS: I have tested the new build and I can confirm that it now works with Windows 10 testing via the VramSizeDX9.exe. But Mod Organizer user unfortunately it wont work, I have no idea why but it launches the game but no virtual memor.y

when I load SKSE from MO  none of my mods or saves are there and with tannin working for the nexus I don't think we can expect an update.

EDIT: The build I used was Windows Build 16241.1001 (rs_prerelease) but someone in the comment section said build 16232 worked for him so

i'll test that.

Well, that's what happens when you use software that relies on "magic" for it's major functionality. :P Works fine from NMM or the desktop shortcut.

If nothing else, someone experiencing this should notify tannin so this same bug doesn't get introduced into the new nmm he's working on.

Well, that's what happens when you use software that relies on "magic" for it's major functionality. :P Works fine from NMM or the desktop shortcut.

If nothing else, someone experiencing this should notify tannin so this same bug doesn't get introduced into the new nmm he's working on.

Can you not? I don't want to turn this into a debate about what program you prefer over the other its senseless like your signature.

Also I can confirm it works fine for NMM and I took the liberty of notifying him whether or not he responds is another question, but since it was an alpha build we still can't know for sure if it will break MO, but it is a possibility.

Can you not? I don't want to turn this into a debate about what program you prefer over the other its senseless like your signature.

Also I can confirm it works fine for NMM and I took the liberty of notifying him whether or not he responds is another question, but since it was an alpha build we still can't know for sure if it will break MO, but it is a possibility.

That's very unfortunate for you.

Question. If they had of used DX10 instead of DX9, would the ENB's today look as good as they do now? If not then in someways perhaps we got lucky they used DX9. No offence to fallout 4 or SSE but jeez. "Oldrim" still gots it :D

There is probably no way of knowing how Skyrim DX10 would be like in terms of ENB moddability.  DX10 didn't introduce many more effects over DX9 but better implementations, not unlike DX12 vs. 11.  AAA developers tend to plan major upgrades along the odd number DirectX versions for the eye candies that coincide with console generations. 

Also remember that by the time Boris perfected ENB with Oldirm (injecting DX11 into a DX9 game), a lot of knowledge already existed of games moving from DX9 to DX11.  Today the mainstay is still DX11.  To get that wow! factor again we may have to see if Boris can get DX13 into FO4/SSE a few years after XboxTwo is released  :D 

PS: This discussion should probably go elsewhere.  The 4GB DX9 VRAM hard cap in Win10 is a Windows bug (oversight or intentional) and not a DirectX issue.

Just keep in mind, DX versions are hard tied to Windows versions. Now that nearly half of all installs are Windows 10, and half are Windows 7, we can expect to see DX11 (tied to Win 7) and DX12 (tied to Win 10) games in about equal numbers for the next 4 or 5 years.

Skyrim was never going to be DX10 as that would have forced everyone wanting the game onto Vista or 7. XP was still over 50% of all windows installs at that time.

Can anyone with high vram confirm that it's working flawlessly for them?

I've been working for a week now to fix the stutters and I found out that whenever I exceed the 4GB vram the game starts to stutter really bad.

I'm on build 16232, so vram fix is installed and MO works ok. Tried everything but no setting in enb could fix the stuttering issues.

It's like the fix is fake for me, it still uses only 4GB vram and if the game/enb wants to use more, it uses actual memory or pagefile?

Any help is appreciated. I'm starting to go a little crazy.

Archived