Microsoft is fixing Skyrim's memory problem with Windows10 and DX9

prinyo

Is this fix going to render the special edition redundant for PC? Just asking. I ask cause the memory problem is one of the big appeals of SSE, it doesn't have it.

Special Edition uses DX11 not DX9 so there is still appeal to be found among other things. But without SKSE IMO it holds no appeal and is a useless failed experiment.

Is this fix going to render the special edition redundant for PC? Just asking. I ask cause the memory problem is one of the big appeals of SSE, it doesn't have it.

Special Edition uses DX11 not DX9 so there is still appeal to be found among other things. But without SKSE IMO it holds no appeal and is a useless failed experiment.

It fixes the VRAM allocation bug of dx9 not the ram allocation for 32bit lol, it will never call more than 2^32 byte adresses which is ~4gb. Vram is indeed the memory of your gpu+ram but it can only (with enboost) load more texture memory. Means still 4gb for CPU stuff. If you want to know why this is read something about CPU architecture.

32bit is limited to 4gb RAM use. Enboost Make that everything releated to Textures can be load to vram to save the 4gb ram for other stuff but sadly vram allocation was buggy on win10 dx9. So you could have 4gb ram+4gb vram. Now you can have 4gb ram + theoretically 16,8 million terabytes vram. Means drop all 4k shit in there you can.

No for real, I didn't test it myself but I don't expect much of it.

What does fixing the VRAM mean for skyrim LE?

Fixing Vram will help enboost users with 4GB+ graphics card, previously on windows 10 they were limited to 4GB VRAM usage because of this bug and now they will be able to use all of their graphics card VRAM to fill up for Skyrim's 32-bit 4GB RAM limit. enboost will allow them to use more graphics memory in place of system memory.

As far as I know, all of these fixes/tweaks are coming to the next big windows 10 update and the current dev builds

Now, I think its good that MS are fixing skyrim and the issues with MO and how it works, I think its not fair that they should do in the first place, and it shows that the dev on MO doest care and has moved on to other projects

As far as I know, all of these fixes/tweaks are coming to the next big windows 10 update and the current dev builds

Now, I think its good that MS are fixing skyrim and the issues with MO and how it works, I think its not fair that they should do in the first place, and it shows that the dev on MO doest care and has moved on to other projects

They are fixing dx9 implementation, not skyrim. They fixed mo load mechanism because they broke it.

Why blame tannin for broken windows?

It's not fair that they fixed something they had working two operating systems before, only want to push out their shit to earn money?

Update will be released on October 17th this fall

• 2 weeks later...

I'm already on Windows 10 version 1709's RTM build 16299.15 (Fall Creator's Update) through Windows insider.

I just got a new PC and didn't want to wait. With the RTM build out, I could leave Windows Insider right away and didn't have to wait.

Anyway, I can confirm that the DX9 vRam limit is GONE now. :) Everything works nicely.

However, if you're using the memory size tool for DX11, it still shows some fantasy numbers I wouldn't recommend using. I use the same settings for DX11 than I do for DX9. Everything else sound pretty unlikely anyway.

So yayies for Oldrim - and maybe for SE if you need to find out your available memory, just make sure to use the DX9 mermorysizetool once v1709 rolls out. :) If you can't wait, you should be able to upgrade through Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, or with one of the new iso files containing v1709 within the next few days. They're usually about a week ahead of the rollout. (And depending in which wave you are you'll even have to wait LONGER)

Anyway, have fun and thank that guy from Microsoft who actually listened to our complaints. <3

EDIT: btw, what do you mean by "pushing outthe shit to earn money?" prZ?

Did you know that you can have a Windows 10 License for less than 10€? :P Windows 10 Pro even!

It is STILL possible to activate Windows 10 with a working Windows 7 key. And keys for Win7 Professional / Ultimate that result in Windows 10 Pro are available on eBay for under 10€.

At least in my country they're even legal. ;D I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but you could try you luck - or use your own key if you have one at home. ;) 

However, if you're using the memory size tool for DX11, it still shows some fantasy numbers I wouldn't recommend using. I use the same settings for DX11 than I do for DX9. Everything else sound pretty unlikely anyway.

IIRC the determined DX11 memory depends on your pagefile, so if you let Windows manage that it will have a fairly random number and increase every time you run the tool.

Fixing Vram will help enboost users with 4GB+ graphics card, previously on windows 10 they were limited to 4GB VRAM usage because of this bug and now they will be able to use all of their graphics card VRAM to fill up for Skyrim's 32-bit 4GB RAM limit. enboost will allow them to use more graphics memory in place of system memory.

This is definitely wrong. The "videomemorysizeMB" in ENB is the same like the "total available video memory" in Windows, which is NOT the same like your GPU's onboard VRAM but a certain combination of RAM + VRAM.

I forgot where to find this in the Windows settings, in Win7 it is somewhere in the display settings (under hardware?) but i can't find the same page in Win10. The only equivalent i can see is in the nvidia drivers under "System Information", in my case this currently reports 20,451MB for a 4GB VRAM + 32GB RAM setup.

Anyways, it is not the VRAM being capped to 4GB (which would be 4096MB) but the "total available video memory" being capped to 4064MB.

So if you had for example a 3GB GPU and 8GB system RAM under Win7 then you probably could utilize 6-7GB for Skyrim, but under Win10 you had to cut this almost in half since the highest stable values were something around ~3714MB. No matter how large your RAM/VRAM might be.

When I started this thread some time ago I was convinced that this fix will remove the need to use ENB Boost. Now people elsewhere online tell me that it is not  the case. Since the update is not yet available via the upgrade tool can somebody on an Insider build share their experience. Will Oldrim crash above 3.1GB or not without ENB Boost?

I'm already on Windows 10 version 1709's RTM build 16299.15 (Fall Creator's Update) through Windows insider.

I just got a new PC and didn't want to wait. With the RTM build out, I could leave Windows Insider right away and didn't have to wait.

Just a head's up. Am not on the Insiders ring.

Reworked my sisters PC

Went into the bios and cleared the security keys and db stuff. (She downloads crap games with DRM which hosed her machine)

Added a new drive, reinstalled the OS and it was build 1730.

Not willing to reinstall on my own PC to test this, but seems if your installing fresh, it grabs build 1730 and fyi, it took about an hour (using DSL) just for the new security pieces (which had it's own install screens) which makes me feel good, better security is always a good thing.

I'm already on Windows 10 version 1709's RTM build 16299.15 (Fall Creator's Update) through Windows insider.

Anyway, I can confirm that the DX9 vRam limit is GONE now. :) Everything works nicely.

So yayies for Oldrim - and maybe for SE if you need to find out your available memory, just make sure to use the DX9 mermorysizetool once v1709 rolls out. :) If you can't wait, you should be able to upgrade through Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, or with one of the new iso files containing v1709 within the next few days. They're usually about a week ahead of the rollout. (And depending in which wave you are you'll even have to wait LONGER)

Anyway, have fun and thank that guy from Microsoft who actually listened to our complaints. <3

Did you know that you can have a Windows 10 License for less than 10€? :P Windows 10 Pro even!

It is STILL possible to activate Windows 10 with a working Windows 7 key. And keys for Win7 Professional / Ultimate that result in Windows 10 Pro are available on eBay for under 10€.

At least in my country they're even legal. ;D I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but you could try you luck - or use your own key if you have one at home. ;)

Doesn't change the fact it's broken in many ways. I prefer ksmpico over license

So yayies for Oldrim - and maybe for SE if you need to find out your available memory, just make sure to use the DX9 mermorysizetool once v1709 rolls out. :) If you can't wait, you should be able to upgrade through Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, or with one of the new iso files containing v1709 within the next few days. They're usually about a week ahead of the rollout. (And depending in which wave you are you'll even have to wait LONGER)

At least in my country they're even legal. ;D I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but you could try you luck - or use your own key if you have one at home.  ;)

are you having trouble with stuttering ? a lot of people reported that the update fucked up a lot of games. I can confirm stuttering got worse in witcher 3 after installing the update. but yea when I run the dx9 enb vram test for skyrim it gives me a much larger number now with the update.

At least in my country they're even legal. ;D I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but you could try you luck - or use your own key if you have one at home.  ;)

are you having trouble with stuttering ? a lot of people reported that the update fucked up a lot of games. I can confirm stuttering got worse in witcher 3 after installing the update. but yea when I run the dx9 enb vram test for skyrim it gives me a much larger number now with the update.

Se uses dx11 man. XD

Moneysoft. Fix 1 Thing, break 2 others. But hey wait for the next update,it will have a app that turns your PC Into a Coffee machine. And then you can buy different tastes from ms.

Se uses dx11 man. XD

Moneysoft. Fix 1 Thing, break 2 others. But hey wait for the next update,it will have a app that turns your PC Into a Coffee machine. And then you can buy different tastes from ms.

You should note that there is a software limit that only allows for one ounce of water per brew.  

ETA: My apologies,  the issue was resolved by replacing the water with urine.  I was unaware.

I am getting stuttering with the new build, 16229.19. Indoor cells, I find performance is very good, even in very crowded areas with a lot of content, npcs etc. Outside however, I stuttering is an issue, even after a complete re-install. Same save, but a new install.

The only change I have made, is setting vidmemsize to 7168. Changing reserved from its current 512, up or down hasn't made much difference. 

The stutter itself, is coming from the ENB. If I disable Effect, the game runs @ frame rate cap indoors and out.  IoW, the update has done little for ENB,  it may have made them worse possibly. 

This is at 2560x1440 with textures a mix of 4 - 2- 1k,  none of them optimized. Binary .318  Problem is, few enbs for Sky32 are being actively supported and updated, including mine. 

So the fix has been rolled out with the latest Fall Update.

Now what?

Do we still need enboost?

You have any idea what enbboost does?

So I explain for retards.

Skyrim uses a total of 3,9gb ram.

For everything.

Enb separates the graphical ram from the 3,9gb ram skyrim uses so you won't fill it with graphical stuff.

Direct x 9 implementation was broken on win10 so it could only allocate 4064mb vram.

So you could have 3,9gb+4064mb.

Now dx9 is fixed you can have 3,9gb+Xgb.

Of course you still need enb.

so what changes do i have to make now in order to increase vram size? i'm using a 1070 with exactly 8081 MB Vram. where do i set skyrim settings to now accommodate that?

You can increase vram size by adding gpus and ram. If you mean how to set end to use more vram open enblocal and change the value to what you want

Cmd->dxdiag-> check vram, set in enb vram-2gb

So I explain for retards.

Well, I must be even stupider than a retard because I couldn't understand your explanation.  Also I don't think ENB separates the system and the graphic RAM usage. More like splits that between two or more processes, each of them getting their own system memory limit. 

So to answer the question in a nice and actually helpful way - yes, ENB Boost will always be needed for Oldrim and Oblivion to play with more mods. The update doesn't fix the limitation that 32bit applications can't access more that 3.1 GB (or 4GB depending on how you look at it). [source]

You can increase vram size by adding gpus and ram. If you mean how to set end to use more vram open enblocal and change the value to what you want

Cmd->dxdiag-> check vram, set in enb vram-2gb

the equation listed in enblocal says it's "VRAM + RAM - 2048", does that mean add up total vram and TOTAL RAM??? then minus 2048? i got 16 gigs ram lmao so should i just set it as 10240 cuz 8000+16000-2048=21952, which is already way exceeding 10240...

Archived