6 minutes ago, Valgo said:

Tbh, not only will I likely wait for the good translation, I'll also wait for the no voiced dialogue add on :D

As far as I can tell there haven't been any new voiced lines since they were initially introduced.  I certainly haven't updated the patch since then.  Perhaps it's worth checking to make sure when the new version hits...

4 hours ago, DerekRick said:

I think it's gonna be the 29th most likely since It's also a Sunday.

3 hours ago, kakaer said:

That sounds the most likely. Dogma posts updates on sundays and that additional day would benefit the mod.

Updates, yes.  Betas, not so much.  Here are the dates when the betas since v0.9.0 have gone up: Dec 30, 2019; Oct 25, 2019; Feb 15, 2019; 21 Dec 2018; Sep 29, 2018.  That's a Monday, Friday, Friday, Friday, and Saturday respectively.  Earlier releases in the v0.8 and v0.7 era were more Saturdays and Sundays.  I believe that since starting the Patreon and doing betas, Dogma likes to release stuff on Fridays so that we all get the weekend to play through it and send in bug reports.  Hopefully the next week or so of bug fixing goes well.

I sent Dogma a DM to say that if the Russian text is ready on the 25th, then I'm happy to be the one to crank out a machine translation, especially since I can mostly automate it and have it done in like an hour.  I may have misunderstood the latest update post, but it seemed to indicate that doing a google translation would take up to 3 days.  Dogma's response said that in addition to machine translation it's also an editing process, but I can at least save some of that time.

1 hour ago, brewmasterhal said:

I sent Dogma a DM to say that if the Russian text is ready on the 25th, then I'm happy to be the one to crank out a machine translation, especially since I can mostly automate it and have it done in like an hour.  I may have misunderstood the latest update post, but it seemed to indicate that doing a google translation would take up to 3 days.  Dogma's response said that in addition to machine translation it's also an editing process, but I can at least save some of that time.

I remember the English version did cause issues. Like when the Solitude beta released I remember having to disable and enable actors in the torture scene. Same with the skunkway one.  I was having issues with getting inside the Squeaky Mast. After your translation though these glitches went away.

6 hours ago, brewmasterhal said:

As far as I can tell there haven't been any new voiced lines since they were initially introduced.  I certainly haven't updated the patch since then.  Perhaps it's worth checking to make sure when the new version hits...

Updates, yes.  Betas, not so much.  Here are the dates when the betas since v0.9.0 have gone up: Dec 30, 2019; Oct 25, 2019; Feb 15, 2019; 21 Dec 2018; Sep 29, 2018.  That's a Monday, Friday, Friday, Friday, and Saturday respectively.  Earlier releases in the v0.8 and v0.7 era were more Saturdays and Sundays.  I believe that since starting the Patreon and doing betas, Dogma likes to release stuff on Fridays so that we all get the weekend to play through it and send in bug reports.  Hopefully the next week or so of bug fixing goes well.

I am waiting for your English version too. Need it for Chinese translation.

21 hours ago, brewmasterhal said:

I only remember stumbling across a single voiced line that lasted like 2 seconds or so but I don't remember where it happened.
But ey, all the better if the new update comes without them anyway.

I see this is going to go gold in a couple of weeks .... Perfect timing since I'm currently in the process of setting up Skyrim on my new PC and should have time to sort out all the inevitable Blackface problems since I somehow managed to lose my load order and game saves in the transfer process and I want to try to get to at least level 20 before I start this.

However I'm on SE so I was wondering if anyone planned on converting it or at least write up a basic list of what will need to be converted to make it work in SE .... I've done some conversions myself so I don't need conversion details per se but just a basic framework for example any files that need to be run through Nifskope, or Cathedral Assets Optimizer, etc

6 minutes ago, longjohn119 said:

I see this is going to go gold in a couple of weeks .... Perfect timing since I'm currently in the process of setting up Skyrim on my new PC and should have time to sort out all the inevitable Blackface problems since I somehow managed to lose my load order and game saves in the transfer process and I want to try to get to at least level 20 before I start this.

However I'm on SE so I was wondering if anyone planned on converting it or at least write up a basic list of what will need to be converted to make it work in SE .... I've done some conversions myself so I don't need conversion details per se but just a basic framework for example any files that need to be run through Nifskope, or Cathedral Assets Optimizer, etc

From what @brewmasterhal said: "As far as I can tell based on my testing, Thief does not require any conversion to play on SSE.  Simply use Cathedral to fix all of the meshes and animations and load it as normal."

You might want to convert the .esp to SE format just to be sure, but you probably know how to do.

10 hours ago, Highborn said:

From what @brewmasterhal said: "As far as I can tell based on my testing, Thief does not require any conversion to play on SSE.  Simply use Cathedral to fix all of the meshes and animations and load it as normal."

You might want to convert the .esp to SE format just to be sure, but you probably know how to do.

Admittedly I don't know what I'm doing, but when I tried going through the .esp conversion procedure for Thief I experienced a lot of scripting issues when playing that I have not seen when playing without conversion.  Only trouble I have had with the unconverted mod is that when you start the quest and the script runs removeallitems on the player, the game can freeze if you have too many items in your inventory.

But yes, I would encourage anyone who wants to play on SE to perform whatever conversion steps they are comfortable with.  If they experience issues with their version, try converting again using a different method.  Like any other SE conversion of the mod, if you encounter errors it's going to be up to you to fix them yourself for the most part.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:56 AM, brewmasterhal said:

Admittedly I don't know what I'm doing, but when I tried going through the .esp conversion procedure for Thief I experienced a lot of scripting issues when playing that I have not seen when playing without conversion.  Only trouble I have had with the unconverted mod is that when you start the quest and the script runs removeallitems on the player, the game can freeze if you have too many items in your inventory.

But yes, I would encourage anyone who wants to play on SE to perform whatever conversion steps they are comfortable with.  If they experience issues with their version, try converting again using a different method.  Like any other SE conversion of the mod, if you encounter errors it's going to be up to you to fix them yourself for the most part.

I've never had any problem converting forms with CK but I've always avoided converting script heavy esp's and this is obviously very script heavy ...... I'll just leave it as is and do the workaround in MO2 so it doesn't nag me about form 43 ..... As far as inventory I'll just store most of it away in one of my houses before starting Thief and then get it back when I'm through 

31 minutes ago, Tisr99099 said:

Could mods like tesvtranslator and xTranslator be used for people who want to play the mod as soon as the Russian version is released?

the mod is released already with an English version. I think you might be confused by people talking about @brewmasterhal 's translation, which is a better one that makes it more 'fluid' and correct some expressions that doesn't translate automatically well. But the one that comes with the mod release is enough to understand the story and you'd probably got the same result if not worse if you use xTranslator or another tool on the Russian version.

In short, the mod is released simultaneously with an English and a Russian version.

1 hour ago, Tisr99099 said:

Could mods like tesvtranslator and xTranslator be used for people who want to play the mod as soon as the Russian version is released?

xTranslator is what I use to do my version, and I believe it's what Dogma has used to do the machine translations in the past but I'm not certain.  But like @Highborn says there will be a playable English version as soon as the Russian one is available.

Has anyone considered using using text-to-speech dialogues for this? There are some good text-to-speech services that sound almost natural such as Amazon Polly in AWS and I thought it would be a good enhancement to reading silent text in an otherwise fully voice acted game.

I have attached some samples I created using Amazon Polly with dialogues from the start of the mod.

It's not perfect but it's still better than silence IMO. Also, the speech can be customized a bit by adding emphasis, delays and breathing sounds to make it sound a bit less robotic.

speech_20201122135708272.mp3 speech_20201122140637103.mp3

16 minutes ago, H_Bomber said:

Has anyone considered using using text-to-speech dialogues for this? There are some good text-to-speech services that sound almost natural such as Amazon Polly in AWS and I thought it would be a good enhancement to reading silent text in an otherwise fully voice acted game.

I have attached some samples I created using Amazon Polly with dialogues from the start of the mod.

It's not perfect but it's still better than silence IMO. Also, the speech can be customized a bit by adding emphasis, delays and breathing sounds to make it sound a bit less robotic.

speech_20201122135708272.mp3 69.69 kB · 0 downloads speech_20201122140637103.mp3 19.02 kB · 0 downloads

I feel like this could work only with TTS like the one used by twitch streamers for donations where they use real voices to create new speech. The ones you suggeted would just get weird after some time.

44 minutes ago, kakaer said:

I feel like this could work only with TTS like the one used by twitch streamers for donations where they use real voices to create new speech. The ones you suggeted would just get weird after some time.

Yeah, it does sound kinda weird. The problem being that we cannot completely mimic human voice in any existing service. Besides, there is complete silence anyway so I thought recording text to speech voice clips instead of Fur-roh-doh voicelines might make it a bit more immersive.

1 hour ago, DerekRick said:

Can anyone presume what might the event for curing the gaped vagina be? Dogma mentioned it on his last post and it got me wondering what it could be.

I don't know. But he said this next version we'd get a 'hint', since it's something he couldn't add due to time. It should be available later in a patch.

39 minutes ago, namjey said:

Can I use my "English Skyrim" with Russian version of the Theif mod?

Will russian text appear correctly? Is there any additional mod required to do so? Anybody tried?

I think it will probably show a bunch of square characters instead of words, since the English version normally doesn't support cyrillic alphabet. I don't know if there is any mod that make them readable in the English version of Skyrim.

19 minutes ago, Tisr99099 said:

Was there any update on the date in this new patreon post?

It's still "end of November". He said he will be polishing dialogue stuff until the very last day of the month. But it wasn't clear to me if this polishing work is something independent of the release, maybe it's something that will be added in the upcoming patches/fixes. I would probably expect 30th November, maybe the first days of December if he encounters a bigger problem.

But yeah, he didn't change the date, it's still end of November, and he said that bugs are to be expected because he won't have time to test it properly.

57 minutes ago, namjey said:

Can I use my "English Skyrim" with Russian version of the Theif mod?

Will russian text appear correctly? Is there any additional mod required to do so? Anybody tried?

Normally, the text will render incorrectly due to encoding differences.  You can, however, load the Russian strings files and set your game language to Russian, in which case the Russian version of Thief - and all other text and dialog - will render correctly in Russian.

Unless you говорить по-русски, I would recommend sticking with your localized version.

2 hours ago, DerekRick said:

Can anyone presume what might the event for curing the gaped vagina be? Dogma mentioned it on his last post and it got me wondering what it could be.

During the v0.9.5 beta, a few versions of the mod included some of the geometry in that part of the cell behind the wall of trash that blocks the path.  Nothing in there but bare stone walls, but it looked like some sort of ritual area.  Beyond that I have no ideas.

7 hours ago, H_Bomber said:

Yeah, it does sound kinda weird. The problem being that we cannot completely mimic human voice in any existing service. Besides, there is complete silence anyway so I thought recording text to speech voice clips instead of Fur-roh-doh voicelines might make it a bit more immersive.

One of the biggest hurdles to doing this is that you would need to modify every line of dialog in the mod to point to a voiced line, and you would also need to modify every scene in the mod that involves the player speaking to use the voiced lines correctly.  If you're looking to make voiced lines, I would argue that the way to go is to use an ML-based voice changing system like this, and have a human act them out.  Both TTS and voice modulation are going to involve pulling out the voice files from vanilla skyrim and training a model based on them (e.g. use Runil's lines from vanilla Skyrim to train a model to convert a voice to sound like Runil, then use that model on Runil's new lines from the mod).

For the level of effort required to do this poorly, might as well go the extra mile and do it well.

49 minutes ago, Tisr99099 said:

Was there any update on the date in this new patreon post?

Dogma indicated that the editing of the text will continue until the 30th, so I guess that's a tentative beta date.

Dogma did reveal that the new version increased the total number of dialog lines in the mod by around 35%, which for a mod with 13,766 lines means just about 4,800 new lines.  That makes this version roughly 40% larger than the next-largest update, which was v0.9.5 as 3,451 new lines.

35 minutes ago, brewmasterhal said:

Normally, the text will render incorrectly due to encoding differences.  You can, however, load the Russian strings files and set your game language to Russian, in which case the Russian version of Thief - and all other text and dialog - will render correctly in Russian.

Unless you говорить по-русски, I would recommend sticking with your localized version.

During the v0.9.5 beta, a few versions of the mod included some of the geometry in that part of the cell behind the wall of trash that blocks the path.  Nothing in there but bare stone walls, but it looked like some sort of ritual area.  Beyond that I have no ideas.

One of the biggest hurdles to doing this is that you would need to modify every line of dialog in the mod to point to a voiced line, and you would also need to modify every scene in the mod that involves the player speaking to use the voiced lines correctly.  If you're looking to make voiced lines, I would argue that the way to go is to use an ML-based voice changing system like this, and have a human act them out.  Both TTS and voice modulation are going to involve pulling out the voice files from vanilla skyrim and training a model based on them (e.g. use Runil's lines from vanilla Skyrim to train a model to convert a voice to sound like Runil, then use that model on Runil's new lines from the mod).

For the level of effort required to do this poorly, might as well go the extra mile and do it well.

Dogma indicated that the editing of the text will continue until the 30th, so I guess that's a tentative beta date.

Dogma did reveal that the new version increased the total number of dialog lines in the mod by around 35%, which for a mod with 13,766 lines means just about 4,800 new lines.  That makes this version roughly 40% larger than the next-largest update, which was v0.9.5 as 3,451 new lines.

Thanks for the reply!

Will you publish walk-through at the same time as beta version v1.0 release? Or will it take some time?

11 minutes ago, brewmasterhal said:

The walkthrough is a lower priority than the translation.  Don't expect to see it for a while.

Speaking of which, Dogma said that you're going to help him with the Google translation this time, if I got it right. This one will still come in the same day as the Russian one, right?