To be, or not to be...a guy in Skyrim.

MsOtaku

I admit I favor females more as well. It all depends greatly on what kinda game I try to play. Playthroughs/character screenshots that involve some kind erotic contend are naturally female almost exclusively (since I cannot find any male mods that appeals to my preferred body type for men). Besides that I think I got some more male playthroughs on not erotic parts of the game

For clarity I guess...

I like to use the Fury spell to make a bandit attack the rest in the group, which tends to result in the group killing that bandit. Then I Fury the next one, etc. and as all their health goes down, I should be left with one nearly dead bandit.

Range and stealth tend to be part of the strategy as well, casting while hiding as far away as I can accurately target the enemies.

I have a few mods that add spells, especially low level spells that help a mage get started.

A mod named Add Item Menu lets me spawn/summon/add items easier than using the console to "help 'name'" "player.additem xxx"

I am more than a bit tired and still sick from this head cold, so I'm probably not thinking and writing very well.

For clarity I guess...

I like to use the Fury spell to make a bandit attack the rest in the group, which tends to result in the group killing that bandit. Then I Fury the next one, etc. and as all their health goes down, I should be left with one nearly dead bandit.

Range and stealth tend to be part of the strategy as well, casting while hiding as far away as I can accurately target the enemies.

I have a few mods that add spells, especially low level spells that help a mage get started.

A mod named Add Item Menu lets me spawn/summon/add items easier than using the console to "help 'name'" "player.additem xxx"

I am more than a bit tired and still sick from this head cold, so I'm probably not thinking and writing very well.

Since I've almost always played a magic user in MMOs I wanted to do it here and I Googled "How to play a Mage in Skyrim". The results that came back were overwhelming. There are so many variations and I almost felt that I needed to follow a certain set of rules and it just wasn't fun. But again, one never knows. I may give it a shot in the future. For the time being I am enjoying playing a stealth archer/assassin character. Being sneaky is fun and I do love using bows.

Also, I hope you feel and better soon. Go get some rest. xoxo

I'm not sure if is the sandbox nature of Elder Scrolls, lack of focus by the dev teams or what, but magic has had a rather back seat it seems in most of the games.

The fact that several schools can be used for offensive encounters does not seem to help either, though the sliding scale and poorly balanced leveling mechanics probably help even less.

In other words, you can either go destruction and fireballs, conjuration and weapons or atronachs or illusion and mind bending spells, at least at first.  Then the usual problems of "enchant a sword and cheese the system" becomes the only effective way to kill certain enemies, as all of the other ways end up too weak.

One reason I like stealth in pretty much all games - as the enemies get harder, your weapons get better and you tend to have customized damages for each boss and stealth gave you time to apply them. The only real thing I hated was the force-greet kind of encounters that pulled you out of stealth for a story based dialogue, and then left you flat footed when you had to fight. I guess dragons in Skyrim fall into that, in that they tend not to attack if they cannot see you, but that's why you just snipe them off their word walls and hope they don't crash someplace else like the stupid AI they are.

As a homosexual I think it would be very spicy for you to download SAM and some accessories for it and then play a male character and see if you like it. Seeing as you never mentioned your sex in the original post I'm gonna assume you're a male, and you're probably straight, so you most likely wouldn't be comfortable playing as some bara nord or something but It's always cool to try something different. I see a lot of people with game saves with dozens of mods for females in game but they never ever take the time to install a mod for the males in their game. So maybe if you download a couple of mods for male characters you may find yourself feeling a little less bored. 10/10 just play a guy and then you can tell your friends how much spicy pussy (or dick or even man pusi) you get and they'll be jealous.

As a homosexual I think it would be very spicy for you to download SAM and some accessories for it and then play a male character and see if you like it. Seeing as you never mentioned your sex in the original post I'm gonna assume you're a male, and you're probably straight, so you most likely wouldn't be comfortable playing as some bara nord or something but It's always cool to try something different. I see a lot of people with game saves with dozens of mods for females in game but they never ever take the time to install a mod for the males in their game. So maybe if you download a couple of mods for male characters you may find yourself feeling a little less bored. 10/10 just play a guy and then you can tell your friends how much spicy pussy (or dick or even man pusi) you get and they'll be jealous.

I'm a chick and have love for both sexes. Assumptions are the devil - never assume. I had my guy marry a male NPC and they made the best couple - I fell in love with them - and still have that save. If you would be so kind as to list some gay mods I'd really appreciate it. :) xoxo

I'm not sure if is the sandbox nature of Elder Scrolls, lack of focus by the dev teams or what, but magic has had a rather back seat it seems in most of the games.

The fact that several schools can be used for offensive encounters does not seem to help either, though the sliding scale and poorly balanced leveling mechanics probably help even less.

In other words, you can either go destruction and fireballs, conjuration and weapons or atronachs or illusion and mind bending spells, at least at first.  Then the usual problems of "enchant a sword and cheese the system" becomes the only effective way to kill certain enemies, as all of the other ways end up too weak.

I appreciate all this advise but, as I said "maybe" I'll play a magic caster/mage character in the future. It's just not for me at the moment. xoxo

@MsOtaku   Hope I'm not too late to the party...

New to both Lover's Lab and Skyrim.  Just call me a recent refugee from MMOs  (can I cross the border here?  hehe).   Totally burnt to a crisp from the same old-same old MMO daily grind, so I understand the listlessness that can creep in.  Just stopped in to say hi, as I find this thread fascinating, and also mention I read the thread you referred to above.  I hightailed it out of there ASAP too, because, well, puritans never learn, they only want to control the expression/creativity of others (try to give them a learning moment and "LALALALALALA".   So why bother)

I've been reading/researching Skyrim/LoversLab for over 2 weeks now (while parachuting out of MMOs), and also building a story arc for my first play-through (don't ask, everything has to be absolutely perfect.  I know, I know, LOL).  I've created an interesting game strategy (using Familiar Faces) which let's each main character play in both games (allowing me to advance their emerging relationship),   Sketch:

It's the story of Simone (fr; "she who hears") and Raina (fr; "queen").  Simone is an established ancient succubus (adores Akavirian architecture, clothes, and weapons) who nobody would dare rape, else, well, consequences.   She was born into nobility, holds massive wealth and several estates, refined tastes, a high sense of fashion, and is a deadly killer, with or without weapons.  And her sexual appetites can only be described as; "insatiable"  (was gonna name her Emmanuelle, but thought it too cheesy).   Her calling card is leaving an animated Deathbell on the body when finished (using Deathbell HD).

Raina was sold into slavery as a 12 year old, because her true father was an incubus who the mother invited in by "opening the kimono" for him willingly.   She was the result of her mother's tryst, and a constant source of guilt for the mother, as the incubus tore her up badly, which she hides from her husband by only allowing him oral OR anal,   As a traditionalist, the husband cannot accept either, so he gets nothing, and dear old mom cynically calls him "BlueBallsBob" under her breath. Talk about guilt projected from dysfunction onto the innocent...

When Simone finally "does" him, he's in the woods, alone, masterbating...after leaving the Deathbell, she soon finds the mother nearby, and takes her time, tearing her apart piece by piece (using toys) until the mother names the incubus.  She drops the Deathbell, and flies straight to Raina { Opens the door on the next saga }

Both mother and "father" resented the child, through no fault of her own, treating her abusively until she was old enough to sell.  She never makes it to the slave auctions (but is exposed to both rape and bondage by her new owner's agents), as the ship crashed against the shores of Skyrim.  Since, the child has been on her own for over 5 years, living off the land (poorly), has no real possessions, and goes from camp to camp trying to sneak in for basic food, clothing, and tools/weapons as she can find them.   More likely than not, she fails miserably, and is thrown out in the bushes after being gang assaulted, left for the wolves to finish off (uses Dangerously Nude to provoke further random animal/human assaults after the surrender plays out.   Brutal, I know, but it builds the heightened suspense and tension needed to explain why Raina goes "all in" when given the opportunity, setting up a revenge motif, which later transforms into a redemption song).

It continues this way until she's discovered by Simone, who shows Raina her true nature (demon child, a succubus), and takes her under her wings as her protege  The relationship cuts both ways, over time, and becomes fully symbiotic, as Raina's newly found joy and enthusiasm for life (and death), sex and love, begins rubbing off on the older woman in a mutually beneficial manner (implying significant, but tender, FF relations).   {the full arc is already over 20 pages, so I won't bore anyone further}.  

So for me anyway, creating a story arc like this, and trying to pull it off, has been just what the doctor ordered, to overcome my own MMO burnout.

PS Simone is downloading male presets/followers, as we speak, for Conan, Khal Drogo, et al, just for her own entertainment purposes.   And Khal Drogo (AKA, the big 10") will be Raina's 18th birthday present, but only after Simone "rides him hard and puts him away wet" first (the succubus version of "kicking the tires").   And no, Conan will NOT be back;  he's a deadman walking, even with his cute headband and skimpy man-undies.  I find, even in serious story arcs, comedic relief is still very important.   WTT Simone is desperately looking for a world leader preset/follower; solely to dare him to grab her by the naughty bits (will necro, rinse, and repeat as needed)...taking suggestions on other fun "food" types, and play scenarios for my girls during their downtime!   Any and all ideas welcomed, as it gets boring out here in the frozen tundra sometimes, LOL)

Just think about it this way. If you are going to actually go through the questline, it means you will spend many hours looking at the character you made. Be it third person for full body or first person where you can see the hands of and hear that character. So what would you rather look at and listen to for many hours on end while you are questing? For me, when I have to go trekking and exploring skyrim, I put the camera third person, so I would much rather look at a female butt bouncing up and down while I go up the 7000 steps for the 100th time.

"I would much rather look at a female butt bouncing up and down . . "

Is the correct answer. :)

A female player would probably be thinking 'does my bum look big in this?' :-/

I generally play female but I do male and futa as well.

Equipment-wise things definitely favour female characters though there is SOS Revealing Armour which is a hoot.

Chain Lightning and Chaos enchanted sword is the way to go for me.

Don't use alcohol  - smoke pot.

All of this talk about female PCs is making me miss my girls... I may just go back to them and try the guy thing another time.

Another scenario I've thinking about is making a rugged male bounty hunter, using straight combat or the SL Defeat mechanics, to capture the bad folks (beat them down to the bleed out state), tie them up, bag them for transport, and then take them back, one at a time, deciding later how best to end them (can skill train on them while tied). Or, just kill them on the spot, and go back for the turn-in.  Obviously, would kill the dragons ASAP for their souls   (I like the idea of capturing them, as it requires more finesse and control to tie/bag them, than just outright killing them.   And with enough stealth skill, could sneak up behind them and choke them out fast, before tying/bagging them, giving more options to keep it fresh).

This would pair well with being part of the Dark Brotherhood too, as our bounty hunter should have no qualms about either bagging them or outright killing them, as long as payment was received.  Thieves Guild works here also, as they put out bounties too.

OPTION: While waiting for new contracts; loves drinking, smoking(*), and carousing in the local pubs...could also setup a base of operations out of a place like this house on the Riften Canals:  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53541/?    Easier pub access,  :lol:

(* toying with putting the Cannabis Skyrim mod online, too, so he can hunt while smoking blunts for the nice bonuses) 

(the mod, Bounty Gold, allows us to increase the gold payment from the Jarls' stewards for bounty quests, and they put out bounties on dragons, trolls, giants, bandits, etc.   Talk to one of the stewards to get another quest.   Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36534/?)

(the mod, Increased Bounty and Guild Rewards, increases the bounty payouts from all sources, not just the Jarls' Steward quests.   Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24758/?

(note: gonna test this mod later, Immersive Bounty Hunting, and see if it's got potential to flesh out this part of the game further. Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29448/? )  That one maintains a Bounty Board, where we grab a wanted poster to get the bounty quest, but from the description it is still a work in progress.

With regards to character class you can try and cross games/genres, etc. Like Widowmaker, or a version of her. Or even the Terminator! There is no limit to what you can roleplay as.

That's both a blessing and a problem for me. I get an idea in my head, create a new character and as I'm customizing him or her (mostly her) there are are just so many combinations to choose from. I try to stick to two or two and a half like the "sneak/archer/assassin". I'll put 100% of my points in archery and sneak but, some in one-handed for daggers.

@MsOtaku   Hope I'm not too late to the party...

New to both Lover's Lab and Skyrim.  Just call me a recent refugee from MMOs  (can I cross the border here?  hehe).   Totally burnt to a crisp from the same old-same old MMO daily grind, so I understand the listlessness that can creep in.  Just stopped in to say hi, as I find this thread fascinating, and also mention I read the thread you referred to above...

First of all, welcome to LL! Thank you very much for taking the time to read my thread and share your RP story - which I absolutely loved. You and I seem to have a lot in common in which we put a lot of background stories into our characters. It's wonderful and gives one a real feel for one's character and how one play's that PC. It means a lot to me that you not only just joined this wonderful community but, took the time to tell us about your wonderful characters. Which, by the way, you had me at Khal Drogo...massive crush on the character in the novel and massive crush on the actor that played him on the show. *drools* I seem to have my female characters marry a revamped Farkas because they kind of resemble each other face-wise. If only there was a really good Drogo follower mod out there. One can only dream. ;)

"I would much rather look at a female butt bouncing up and down . . "

Is the correct answer. :)

A female player would probably be thinking 'does my bum look big in this?' :-/

I generally play female but I do male and futa as well.

Equipment-wise things definitely favour female characters though there is SOS Revealing Armour which is a hoot.

Chain Lightning and Chaos enchanted sword is the way to go for me.

Don't use alcohol  - smoke pot.

I'm a female player and I don't thing that my "bum looks big in this." I take care of my body and love to exercise. Plus, I'm Latina so I have a great ass. :D I enjoy looking a women's bodies. They are beautiful and I appreciate a great female physique. But, you are correct in which there are more better looking armor for female PCs than men. Yes, I have seen great armors for guys but, it seems that there is more attention to detail in the women's armor department as well as idles, movement, spell casting motions, etc. And there is nothing wrong with booze. Wine if my vice, and if I could get my hands on some pot then I'd be a very happy camper.

All of this talk about female PCs is making me miss my girls... I may just go back to them and try the guy thing another time.

Another scenario I've thinking about is making a rugged male bounty hunter, using straight combat or the SL Defeat mechanics, to capture the bad folks (beat them down to the bleed out state), tie them up, bag them for transport, and then take them back, one at a time, deciding later how best to end them (can skill train on them while tied). Or, just kill them on the spot, and go back for the turn-in.  Obviously, would kill the dragons ASAP for their souls   (I like the idea of capturing them, as it requires more finesse and control to tie/bag them, than just outright killing them.   And with enough stealth skill, could sneak up behind them and choke them out fast, before tying/bagging them, giving more options to keep it fresh).

This would pair well with being part of the Dark Brotherhood too, as our bounty hunter should have no qualms about either bagging them or outright killing them, as long as payment was received.  Thieves Guild works here also, as they put out bounties too.

OPTION: While waiting for new contracts; loves drinking, smoking(*), and carousing in the local pubs...could also setup a base of operations out of a place like this house on the Riften Canals:  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53541/?    Easier pub access,  :lol:

(* toying with putting the Cannabis Skyrim mod online, too, so he can hunt while smoking blunts for the nice bonuses) 

(the mod, Bounty Gold, allows us to increase the gold payment from the Jarls' stewards for bounty quests, and they put out bounties on dragons, trolls, giants, bandits, etc.   Talk to one of the stewards to get another quest.   Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36534/?)

(the mod, Increased Bounty and Guild Rewards, increases the bounty payouts from all sources, not just the Jarls' Steward quests.   Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24758/?

(note: gonna test this mod later, Immersive Bounty Hunting, and see if it's got potential to flesh out this part of the game further. Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29448/? )  That one maintains a Bounty Board, where we grab a wanted poster to get the bounty quest, but from the description it is still a work in progress.

Hmm... This seems like a very good idea. I'm bookmarking this page for future references when I do create my bandit. I had thought female but, I'm unsure now. Lots of pillaging and raping as a male would be fun.

Cannabis Skyrim is fun no matter how you play.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8732/?

I use it with Become a Bard. Play, smoke and sell at the inns. Plant it and travel to next town, rinse and repeat. My Johnnie Appleweed profile. :)

I plant apple trees too. Now I just need an apple bong. :cool:

You really do know about every mod in Skyrim. :heart: xoxo

I'm a female player and I don't thing that my "bum looks big in this." I take care of my body and love to exercise. Plus, I'm Latina so I have a great ass. :D I enjoy looking a women's bodies. They are beautiful and I appreciate a great female physique. But, you are correct in which there are more better looking armor for female PCs than men. Yes, I have seen great armors for guys but, it seems that there is more attention to detail in the women's armor department as well as idles, movement, spell casting motions, etc.

I think it's an issue with perspective here. Male armor 99% of the time goes for the cool factor, so you gotta learn to appreciate the cool factor the same way you appreciate the butts.

Males generally aren't sexualized to the same extreme that females are, and that doesn't apply just to the Skyrim modding scene. Male armor designs in fantasy games are focused on reinforcing the existing masculine outline, broad shoulders, narrower hips, etc and making the whole package more intimidating or imposing than what it once was, often at the cost of practicality with gauntlets or shoulderpads that'd be more restrictive than helpful in combat.

This imo mirrors the skimpy armor for female design trend in most fantasy games, and if you ask me it goes hand in hand despite how different the two design directions might be at first. Male armors reinforce masculinity, female armors reinforce femininity.

Cannabis Skyrim is fun no matter how you play.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8732/?

I use it with Become a Bard. Play, smoke and sell at the inns. Plant it and travel to next town, rinse and repeat. My Johnnie Appleweed profile. :)

I plant apple trees too. Now I just need an apple bong. :cool:

Go Johnny!  Go, go, go  :-/

Am definitely putting Cannabis Skyrim in my 2game succubus play-through (using Familiar Faces to keep the leads in "synch").   Mainly for planting around one of their Akavirian style homes.  This one: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64262/?.  They're already demons with eternal life, so what are they gonna do?   Give my girls 30 days in the hole?  Bruhahahaha...talk about a free lunch.

The rationale is pot and bamboo share many visual properties.  Planting pattern: 4-5 Potema's Kush (dark purple buds), with 1-2 Nord Lightning (silver-green buds) in the middle for highlights; in each 6 plant group around the deck sides (makes no sense from a botanical perspective; but need it to better sell the illusion of bamboo).  All females of course, for both the aesthetics, and the fringies (puff, puff, pass).   Will start the Nords first in each group so they're taller.   Any advise on the growing lag for the plants?   Or does it matter?  (will make a test patch first before committing)

Inside, will setup the dining area with a small dragon bong collection on the side tables, and sushi bento boxes on the dining table, in case, well, the munchies.

Raina's bedroom will feature a discrete collection of pipes, oils, buds, Nepalese temple balls, and other small wonders, just because...  sex+weed = mmmmm   :cool:

Is this heaven?   NO!   It's Skyrim!

(seriously considering dropping in wine bottles, renamed as "Sake", just for flavor and an added perk.   Still deciding which perk plays best, thinking +stamina for that "goes all night" atmosphere)

I'm a female player and I don't thing that my "bum looks big in this." I take care of my body and love to exercise. Plus, I'm Latina so I have a great ass. :D I enjoy looking a women's bodies. They are beautiful and I appreciate a great female physique. But, you are correct in which there are more better looking armor for female PCs than men. Yes, I have seen great armors for guys but, it seems that there is more attention to detail in the women's armor department as well as idles, movement, spell casting motions, etc.

I think it's an issue with perspective here. Male armor 99% of the time goes for the cool factor, so you gotta learn to appreciate the cool factor the same way you appreciate the butts.

Males generally aren't sexualized to the same extreme that females are, and that doesn't apply just to the Skyrim modding scene. Male armor designs in fantasy games are focused on reinforcing the existing masculine outline, broad shoulders, narrower hips, etc and making the whole package more intimidating or imposing than what it once was, often at the cost of practicality with gauntlets or shoulderpads that'd be more restrictive than helpful in combat.

This imo mirrors the skimpy armor for female design trend in most fantasy games, and if you ask me it goes hand in hand despite how different the two design directions might be at first. Male armors reinforce masculinity, female armors reinforce femininity.

EDIT: I'll be using the word "Badass" a lot. Couldn't think of a more proper synonym to express what I want to say.

Touché. You're quite right. Male armors go for a more "badass" look. They do look cooler and makes the player feel, well, badass. I don't think I've ever seen skimpy armor for men, hell I don't think I've ever seen a request for some. So guys get the "Armor of Badassery" and chicks get the pretty, slooty armor.

I don't download armors because I like the hdt physics to work and using BodySlide to convert armors to my body type is always a guaranteed CTD. I have no idea why. But I have a mod or an addon to a mod where I can choose whether to make my armor realistically protective or skimpy. I always go skimpy, though. I can't help it. But at least I have options. With the armor overhaul mods I have the armors don't look vanilla either so it's all good.

I get what you're saying about what male armors represent but, to say that these bikini female armors represent "femininity" is something I don't agree with. If a woman was to look feminine she would be wearing a dress. I have dresses for my girls when they're collecting quests around cities or relaxing at home and the dresses are not slutty. They are Renaissance-looking gowns or clothing from that fancy shop in Solitude. I remember being very, very young and getting into comic books and seeing how these female super heroes and villains dressed - not exactly conservative - and I just thought how cool they looked. I LOVED their costumes. Later I discovered the art of Luis Royo and thought these were the most badass women I have ever seen. His art made a huge impact on me (artistically speaking and in how I dress my female PCs) and how I saw women warriors, when I equip armor on my female PCs, I think of his art.

Luis%20Royo%20-%20Malefic%20(09).jpg

Beautiful, sexy, and ultimate badasses.

EDIT: I'll be using the word "Badass" a lot. Couldn't think of a more proper synonym to express what I want to say.

Touché. You're quite right. Male armors go for a more "badass" look. They do look cooler and makes the player feel, well, badass. I don't think I've ever seen skimpy armor for men, hell I don't think I've ever seen a request for some. So guys get the "Armor of Badassery" and chicks get the pretty, slooty armor.

I don't download armors because I like the hdt physics to work and using BodySlide to convert armors to my body type is always a guaranteed CTD. I have no idea why. But I have a mod or an addon to a mod where I can choose whether to make my armor realistically protective or skimpy. I always go skimpy, though. I can't help it. But at least I have options. With the armor overhaul mods I have the armors don't look vanilla either so it's all good.

I get what you're saying about what male armors represent but, to say that these bikini female armors represent "femininity" is something I don't agree with. If a woman was to look feminine she would be wearing a dress. I have dresses for my girls when they're collecting quests around cities or relaxing at home and the dresses are not slutty. They are Renaissance-looking gowns or clothing from that fancy shop in Solitude. I remember being very, very young and getting into comic books and seeing how these female super heroes and villains dressed - not exactly conservative - and I just thought how cool they looked. I LOVED their costumes. Later I discovered the art of Luis Royo and thought these were the most badass women I have ever seen. His art made a huge impact on me (artistically speaking and in how I dress my female PCs) and how I saw women warriors, when I equip armor on my female PCs, I think of his art.

Luis%20Royo%20-%20Malefic%20(09).jpg

Besides the fur and leather armor in the base game (which fits the standard Barbarian,Mercenary and Gladiator types seen in historical fiction of swords-and-sorcery fantasy stories), you can find plenty of skimpy male armors in the Male Content Call-Out Thread. Men's bodies tend not to be as stigmatized so there isn't half as much of a temptation to put fictional men in revealing duds for some transgressive thrill or for the purposes of liberation fantasy.

There is also the fact that one can just tune in to any combat sporting event , pro wrestling program, afternoon drama,romantic movie or soap opera to see most of the male form unrestrained and unencumbered by clothing.

Yeah I agree with you, but when I meant feminine I was also thinking of this sexy barbaric warrior style (that most skimpy armor mods fall into too).

I guess you gotta look into it as what is empowering for that given gender. I can't speak for women since I'm not one, but to me being sexy is amongst one of the empowering traits for women, and skimpy armors pile onto that pretty well. And I definitely feel pretty powerfully about powerful looking dudes.

Sexuality for women generally has far more depth to it than sexuality for men is a thing you've also gotta consider; every fantasy game out there has skimpy armors for men, but they're not seen in a skimpy light because seeing a dude's abs or his pecs or what might aswell be 90% of his naked body isn't anything anyone cares about that much, even I as a bi dude didn't really give two hecks about the base fur armors for Skyrim, one of which was literally a skirt and nothing else when equipped by male chars.

To be honest this is worth thinking about in a far deeper light than just "what's up with the Skyrim mod scene and the way they dev their armors?". It's a design trope a lot of fantasy games partake in.

Yeah I agree with you, but when I meant feminine I was also thinking of this sexy barbaric warrior style (that most skimpy armor mods fall into too).

I guess you gotta look into it as what is empowering for that given gender. I can't speak for women since I'm not one, but to me being sexy is amongst one of the empowering traits for women, and skimpy armors pile onto that pretty well. And I definitely feel pretty powerfully about powerful looking dudes.

Sexuality for women generally has far more depth to it than sexuality for men is a thing you've also gotta consider; every fantasy game out there has skimpy armors for men, but they're not seen in a skimpy light because seeing a dude's abs or his pecs or what might aswell be 90% of his naked body isn't anything anyone cares about that much, even I as a bi dude didn't really give two hecks about the base fur armors for Skyrim, one of which was literally a skirt and nothing else when equipped by male chars.

To be honest this is worth thinking about in a far deeper light than just "what's up with the Skyrim mod scene and the way they dev their armors?". It's a design trope a lot of fantasy games partake in.

My two cents...

Modern society has a tendency to evaluate everything from the very moment we're in, overlooking how we got here, or even why some things are the way they are.  In regards female nudity, in art and literature, it has been presented to the public for centuries, and not as some gratuitous thrill seekers yada yada.   Historically, there was a purpose, and a fairly beneficial one, for displaying the female form.  Read this quote on the history of nudity in ancient Sparta:

Ancient Greece had a particular fascination for aesthetics, which was also reflected in clothing or lack thereof. Sparta had rigorous codes of training and physical exercise naked. Athletes would compete naked in public sporting events. Spartan women, as well as men, would sometimes be naked in public processions and festivals. This practice was designed to encourage virtue in men while they were away at war and an appreciation of health in the women.   {note: virtue is not gained by hiding it; virtue is gained by seeing it, admiring it, and not behaving like a deranged jerk drooling all over oneself.   Hiding it is to admit defeat; that mankind is spineless and weak}

If writers, artists, and governing folks could expose more people to the beauty of the female form, the public would value it more highly, and once they did, they were much less likely to go on rape, pillage, and burn sprees (which had the negative affect of making the defeated hate them even more).   And in a warring society such as Sparta, that was merely a practical matter, as perpetual war requires the highest discipline to maintain, and produces a sense that good is partially defined by; "when a defeated enemy stays defeated".   Therefore, best not give them burning reasons for revenge  (if interested, there are massive volumes written on how Alexander the Great dealt with this matter of incorporating the defeated into society (through integration via marriage), as opposed to either enslaving or eradicating them.   The collected writings of Marcus Aurelius travel down a similar path on instilling morality in soldiers as one key for maintaining a just society.   Good read).

In Sparta, the male nude form was displayed also, not as a social elevating factor, but as more of a baseline performance expected of men and boys (there were also documented side affects).  "Ok boys, this is how your body should both look and function, if you train properly".  

This fits perfectly with your assertion about male power armor, and displaying masculinity as something to behold and emulate. So, your argument has strong roots in history.

Odd, eh?   People who complain about rape and other negative, aggressive behaviors, typically, but falsely, include things such as skimpy armor (nudity) as a root cause, when in fact, historically, it has typically had the exact opposite affect on people.   That's partially how the world entered into the period known as the Dark Ages (through repression), a time when the world fractured into 1000s of tiny little fiefdoms with no universal codes or laws, and sexuality was repressed under threat of death.   In the Dark Ages, the female form was considered dirty, evil, and a sin against the gods (making it easier to rape them with little consequence, as rape is not a sexual event, it's either a power or control event).   Then came the Renaissance, or the opening of the light.   And with the light, came an explosion of creative works returning to the appreciation of, and higher value being placed on, the female form.   And this is where many of the roots of modern civilization were formed, during the Renaissance.  

One may safely conclude; appreciating the beauty of the nude forms, for both men and women, is simply ingrained into our DNA, as well as, the need in some to suppress it; but more as a way for them to gain control over either themselves, or society in general.   Hence, the virtual schizophrenia found in humanity, and the eternal push and shove between the 2 polar opposites.  So, where do we stand today in my little patch of ground on the light v. dark index?  IMO:

1966    now           1487

light |-------o--------x---------------o-----|dark

-->

SO, every time a modder celebrates and shares the nude forms; in a small way, it's a push back toward the light, whether they know it or not.   And I for one applaud their efforts.

This is kind of off topic, but I stumbled upon this earlier and it might interest some people on this thread... 

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2725-feet-lovers-slal-anims-idles-cum-textures-sam-feet-replacer/

It's a mod of footjob animations. Not my fetish, so I never downloaded it, but it does seem to be mostly femdom(so possibly interesting for a male playthrough) and has the only fff animation that I've seen so far(and people have asked about that on this thread).

.....There is also the fact that one can just tune in to any combat sporting event , pro wrestling program, afternoon drama,romantic movie or soap opera to see most of the male form unrestrained and unencumbered by clothing.

My two cents...

Modern society has a tendency to evaluate everything from the very moment we're in, overlooking how we got here, or even why some things are the way they are.  In regards female nudity, in art and literature, it has been presented to the public for centuries, and not as some gratuitous thrill seekers yada yada.   Historically, there was a purpose, and a fairly beneficial one, for displaying the female form.  Read this quote on the history of nudity in ancient Sparta:

Ancient Greece had a particular fascination for aesthetics, which was also reflected in clothing or lack thereof. Sparta had rigorous codes of training and physical exercise naked. Athletes would compete naked in public sporting events. Spartan women, as well as men, would sometimes be naked in public processions and festivals. This practice was designed to encourage virtue in men while they were away at war and an appreciation of health in the women.   {note: virtue is not gained by hiding it; virtue is gained by seeing it, admiring it, and not behaving like a deranged jerk drooling all over oneself.   Hiding it is to admit defeat; that mankind is spineless and weak}

SO, every time a modder celebrates and shares the nude forms; in a small way, it's a push back toward the light, whether they know it or not.   And I for one applaud their efforts.

Okay, I'm going to address all of you at once because these replies are pretty much implying that clothing, or lack there of, is about the same thing - the human form, aesthetically speaking.

@FauxFurry, I'm very well aware of the toned, muscular male body being "on display" in sports, films about men with power, and are fan favorites, or handsome, to cheesy films, and  harlequin romance novels.

@meme supreme, Yes. men's armor, costumes, uniforms etc. can be almost if not completely covering the body but are tight enough to see their abs, pecs, glutes, etc. The same can be said about women's armor when it covers their bodies completely - they are tight enough to see the "goodies" if you will. But, most of the time they are half naked.

@HardRaine, that wasn't "two cents," my friend, more like the worth of a university course. ;)  I am well-versed in art and art history. I also love world history, anthropology, and am very interested in theology. I know all about the practices of the ancient Greeks and know all too well about the Renaissance period. I mean this without any sarcasm, thank you for sharing that information with us - it was very educational and I enjoyed reading it.

Ah, the naked human body, so many amazing works of art from paintings to sculptures depicting the beauty of it. Absolutely nothing pornographic about it either. Even works of art where the subject is clothed there is something the look of their eyes, shimmer of the lips, the tiniest glimpse of a grin there that made the work beautiful and even sexy. Looking back at "the nudes" the men were chiseled to what one sees now as perfection and while a lot of art depicting women during the Renaissance period were not exactly in supermodel shape, that back then was considered beautiful. Why? Because a plump woman was an attractive and desirable woman. It meant that she could do one of the most important things in life - have children. It was a symbol of fertility. Depictions of fertility goddesses are almost always plump, the Venus figurines for example, they are very rotund and nude. And it isn't just the women that represented fertility, men did and do as well in many countries. Sculptures of men that are very well endowed or shrines that are supposed to look like a man's genitalia are worshiped and given offerings to in order to "help" childless couples or people who wish to be married soon and pray to be blessed with many children. But times change and most of us don't want to see pictures or art of people that are not in shape. Instead most of us want to see what society tells us is beautiful. Both men and women want perfection - yes, we are shallow. Even if you don't want to admit it, you are. We fantasize about being with beautiful, sexy men and or women. Now, I'm not saying that back in the day, a beautiful young woman wasn't desired or a young woman about to be married to a man she's never met hoped and prayed that her soon-to-be husband would be attractive, but there were other factors that played an important part during those very early time periods apart from looks.

Moving into the modern era and we watch the Olympics and the uniforms that the athletes are wearing leave nothing to the imagination. But that is not why we watch the Olympics. We watch them to see the strength of the human body. Weight-lifters, swimmers, runners, gymnasts, etc. We can see just about every muscle in their bodies and we admire their strength. Competitive sports uniforms are very tight as well and we don't watch Baseball, an American football game, or a soccer match to see these athletes in their tight uniforms - we watch it for the fun of the game, the incredible plays, moves and what have you. We admire the strong athlete. The same can be said about the ballet. These petite dancers are pure muscle and incredibly strong yet they look so delicate and move so gracefully - the male dancer has an incredibly toned and muscular body. Again, we do not go to the ballet to gawk at the dancers, we go to watch them perform beautiful works of art. We watch in amazement as they do things with their body while they dance that one cannot even begin to imagine how they push their bodies to their limits. It's all about strength.

Protagonists and antagonists in fantasy games and comic book super heroes and villains (I've mentioned this before) are wearing either very tight armor that show off the male physique or very bulky armor that makes them look stronger while the women - like the men - wear skin tight uniforms or armor to show off their perfect bodies or wear very skimpy outfits. But what they both have in common is that these fictional people have strength and or powers. I know that not all comic book characters are perfect but, they have their own incredible abilities. So yes, I strongly believe that these characters wearing the outfits I have just mentioned are not just for eye candy, but to show off their strength. After all no matter what outfit we decide to put on our character the point is to get him or her stronger, beat the bad guys, and win the game.

This is kind of off topic, but I stumbled upon this earlier and it might interest some people on this thread... 

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2725-feet-lovers-slal-anims-idles-cum-textures-sam-feet-replacer/

It's a mod of footjob animations. Not my fetish, so I never downloaded it, but it does seem to be mostly femdom(so possibly interesting for a male playthrough) and has the only fff animation that I've seen so far(and people have asked about that on this thread).

Thanks for sharing that link, dult. I don't have a foot fetish, but there are people here that do and I'm sure they are very grateful that you posted that. xoxo

That word "empowerment" is a slippery thing to define, especially within the confines of the scifi/fantasy genre and in games in particular. 90% of what goes on there is the invention of men, and if they claim they're empowering me by doing things a certain way, I will almost certainly find something to object to about that. It's not their place. What I take from their work personally though is the only thing that's important to me, I couldn't give a single fuck what Anita Sarkeesian has to say about any of it. If at any point I sound confused about it all, well I am honestly. The pursuit of pleasure tends to be that way. 

Ellen Ripley is definitely empowered by my reckoning, doesn't matter if she's in uniform or dirty white panties, she gets shit done all day long. Likewise Imperator Furiosa, the meanest of the Warboys by far, and she's only got one arm! Those characters were designed by men, the words they used were put there by them, but the women who played them took what they were given and elevated the character to a whole other level of heroic. Imagine if Elizabeth Berkley had got the part of Ripley - different ballgame :)

Bayonetta's marketing is overtly sexualised to a level that I find hilarious more than offensive, but she's still an absolute fucking badass. I think it's pertinent to that word "empowerment" that when I pull off a big combo I  feel like a fucking badass. Conversely though, Frank Miller's version of Selina Kyle is as reflexively abhorrent to me as any mind image of Trump grabbing pussy, and Tim Burton's Catwoman steadfastly remains a victim of men regardless of bodycount. 

I get a kick out of  making characters in the mode of Frank Frazzeta who's work fascinates me for the same sorta reasons reasons Rubens' or Michelangelo's does. I like sharing screenshots of them and having anyone appreciate the results, and I'd be lying if I said I paid any particular attention to female approval over male - if anyone finds them appealing for the same reasons I do then that's great. The point is, I control everything, it's all done to my particular specifications, and none of it has anything at all to do with my real life political persuasions or desired life goals. I'm not sure I feel any sort of empowerment in the socio-political sense, but I do feel good doing it and I don't care about having it mediated by anyone else. Is that empowerment? Maybe it is. 

Skyrim is awesome for letting me contort things into all sorts of pleasing shapes, whether it be unfeasible tits and ass and legs that go from here to Mars,  or showboating like Ali in every bandit fight while rocking 8 inch heels. RPGs like this one excite me because I get to achieve escape velocity. That's it.

edited multiple times - my flow was about as coherent as SSE's water effects.

That word "empowerment" is a slippery thing to define, especially within the confines of the scifi/fantasy genre and in games in particular. 90% of what goes on there is the invention of men, and if they claim they're empowering me by doing things a certain way, I will almost certainly find something to object to about that. It's not their place. What I take from their work personally though is the only thing that's important to me, I couldn't give a single fuck what Anita Sarkeesian has to say about any of it. If at any point I sound confused about it all, well I am honestly. The pursuit of pleasure tends to be that way. 

Ellen Ripley is definitely empowered by my reckoning, doesn't matter if she's in uniform or dirty white panties, she gets shit done all day long. Likewise Imperator Furiosa, the meanest of the Warboys by far, and she's only got one arm! Those characters were designed by men, the words they used were put there by them, but the women who played them took what they were given and elevated the character to a whole other level of heroic. Imagine if Elizabeth Berkley had got the part of Ripley - different ballgame :)

Bayonetta's marketing is overtly sexualised to a level that I find hilarious more than offensive, but she's still an absolute fucking badass. I think it's pertinent to that word "empowerment" that when I pull off a big combo I  feel like a fucking badass. Conversely though, Frank Miller's version of Selina Kyle is as reflexively abhorrent to me as any mind image of Trump grabbing pussy, and Tim Burton's Catwoman steadfastly remains a victim of men regardless of bodycount. 

I get a kick out of  making characters in the mode of Frank Frazzeta who's work fascinates me for the same sorta reasons reasons Rubens' or Michelangelo's does. I like sharing screenshots of them and having anyone appreciate the results, and I'd be lying if I said I paid any particular attention to female approval over male - if anyone finds them appealing for the same reasons I do then that's great. The point is, I control everything, it's all done to my particular specifications, and none of it has anything at all to do with my real life political persuasions or desired life goals. I'm not sure I feel any sort of empowerment in the socio-political sense, but I do feel good doing it and I don't care about having it mediated by anyone else. Is that empowerment? Maybe it is. 

Skyrim is awesome for letting me contort things into all sorts of pleasing shapes, whether it be unfeasible tits and ass and legs that go from here to Mars,  or showboating like Ali in every bandit fight while rocking 8 inch heels. RPGs like this one excite me because I get to achieve escape velocity. That's it.

I love you. Ripley is my hero. Also, Ysmir's beard! The girl in your signature is going to freeze to death!

xoxo

I agree with what you're saying. Just putting that out there before I start randomly typing out thoughts as soon as they pop into my head.

"Empowerment" is difficult to define because people have different ideas of what personal power is and how they should feel about it, especially when it pertains to women. One can't say that a hugely muscular woman smashing a bunch of guys with a baseball bat is any more empowering than a lingerie model wearing nothing but a smile and getting a rich guy to lick her feet is, because different people have different ideas of what their personal power is. For some women just the idea of the lingerie model alone is demeaning just because of what she does. By the same token, she's in control of her current situation which is technically empowering. For another example, say you have a woman who's a successful businesswoman, owns her own company, makes six figures, a real go-getter, blah, blah, stereotyping, blah... On the flip side, her personal life is a train wreck, she's a control freak who can't get along with most people, she's paranoid of letting anyone gain an "advantage" over her in any situation so she can't open up, and she's bitter and lonely as hell. Is she empowered? I dunno, it's too nuanced to say. A lot of people would say "yes" just because of her success in business, getting ahead in a "man's world".

As far as entertainment goes, women are at a decided disadvantage because of long term biases that won't go away and number crunchers who decide what a "target audience" wants. Ever since Hollywood was founded people have been saying that sci-fi, fantasy, and action are genres whose prevailing audiences are males, ages early teens to thirties. So, that's who they write for. Even in this day and age where there are tons of women watching, reading, and enjoying the culture that goes along with all of those genres, the prejudice still hasn't gone away. It's more about sales than anything resembling misogyny, though, which doesn't make it any better, just saying. Hence why you get so many movies, comics, and video games with token hot girl that only a portion of female fans will like.

So, the question becomes, do certain women find sexy empowering? I imagine so, otherwise LoversLab would be a complete sausage fest. Some women will find a female character walking around in a video game wearing nothing but a fur cape, a nipple chain, and a thong disgusting, pandering towards oversexed males, demeaning to women, and just plain offensive, no matter how many bandit heads she's cutting off with a two handed sword taller than she is or how many men and women she's dominating sexually with sexlab mods. They'll find the character objectifying, the result of hundreds of years of male oppression influencing the image of what women should be like. In effect, not empowering at all. Would they be wrong? I dunno, maybe not for themselves. Maybe seeing portrayals of females like those makes them feel like they are being oppressed, in which case it's not empowering. But if that same character was created by a woman who finds the character not only arousing but liberating, as she can do things that the player can only fantasize about, then it's role is empowering for her. Would she be wrong, then? No, I don't think so, not for herself. No matter if the other women call her a traitor or accuse her of being "part of the problem." She shouldn't give a shit simply because they don't make decisions for her or dictate how she should think or feel. 

I was about to say you can't confuse personal taste with empowerment but maybe you can. Empowerment does seem to be about 75% emotional, 25% situational. So, yeah, you can't tell someone they should feel empowered by something because it's not your call. A movie could portray a woman in a take-charge manner, give her a strong personality, but it's ultimately up to the individual viewer to judge for themselves if the role is "empowering". You can't make the decision for ALL women, that's just arrogance.

Random comments from your post!

- Elizabeth Berkley was only seven years old when Alien came out! She's not that precocious! Kidding...

- The role of Ripley was originally written for a man, which might explain a lot. Scott changed it after wondering what it would be like if the main character was a woman and Weaver made magic. The result was a great character and a total bad ass.

- Frank Miller doesn't write women roles very well. His storytelling is gritty and interesting but his women character suck. I didn't like his Selina Kyle at all and I tend to pretend his interpretation of her origin never happened.

- Frazetta's artwork is fantastic, just perfect for the pulp style stories he was making illustrations and book covers for. He always managed to capture the essence of what those stories were in just one painting. Usually I prefer cover art with a lot of vibrant colors but he always used pale colors and a lot of earth tones that made everything seem much more realistic. I miss his work.

Keep being awesome, beast1e.

Archived