The general WIP thread for animators.

Guest Redabyss

Posting a question I mistakenly asked elsewhere:

I'm using a prop in an animation, and it seems to work successfully. Let's say my sim is on the bed, and I choose "change sex location to here" on a chair, and the sim moves to another animation on the chair. When I then move back to the bed and choose the animation with the prop, the prop starts playing its animation on the chair instead of the bed. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known "bug"?

7 hours ago, simdulgence said:

Posting a question I mistakenly asked elsewhere:

I'm using a prop in an animation, and it seems to work successfully. Let's say my sim is on the bed, and I choose "change sex location to here" on a chair, and the sim moves to another animation on the chair. When I then move back to the bed and choose the animation with the prop, the prop starts playing its animation on the chair instead of the bed. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known "bug"?

You are doing all right. It is known "bug": If during the process the position for sex changes, the props remain in place of the previous scenes.

Hi y'all!

Back on drawing board, once again... But ran into tech problem, I'm using blender 2.79a as animating, but my S4S requires 2.70 to even begin to co-operate, so is there an update for my S4S so that I could use "newer" blender? 

I've tried to look arround but either cant understand something or missed something...

11 minutes ago, HKo_83 said:

Hi y'all!

Back on drawing board, once again... But ran into tech problem, I'm using blender 2.79a as animating, but my S4S requires 2.70 to even begin to co-operate, so is there an update for my S4S so that I could use "newer" blender? 

I've tried to look arround but either cant understand something or missed something...

I also use 2.79 for animating you can make S4S download the required blender version. Install it, avoid associating that version with the .blend files.

Then just set the path to 2.70 in S4S and animate in 2.79 like regular.

7 minutes ago, bearlyAlive said:

I also use 2.79 for animating you can make S4S download the required blender version. Install it, avoid associating that version with the .blend files.

Then just set the path to 2.70 in S4S and animate in 2.79 like regular.

As my computing skills are at level Neeb-1, I got the both blenders on my pc, but haven't figured out that part where I could use them both ( so far I've just "fixed" the installation of needed version in CClean ).

But this is not what you explained?

2 hours ago, HKo_83 said:

As my computing skills are at level Neeb-1, I got the both blenders on my pc, but haven't figured out that part where I could use them both ( so far I've just "fixed" the installation of needed version in CClean ).

But this is not what you explained?

Hmm how to explain this, I assume you have both blender versions installed in different folders?

When S4S requests the location of 2.70 point it to that folder.

For animating, just run the blender.exe from the 2.79b folder.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, bearlyAlive said:

Hmm how to explain this, I assume you have both blender versions installed in different folders?

When S4S requests the location of 2.70 point it to that folder.

For animating, just run the blender.exe from the 2.79b folder.

Got to try... Would ease the work alot... 

Thanks a bunch!

Hi.
I have a little problem with animation that i created. It works in game, but... idk how to fix one thing. In blender i created animation for 2 sims - one lying on floor - and here is problem. When i choose my animation in game, sim stand - with animation ofc. I should change smth with blender or xml? Btw, sorry for my english - i have a little problem with this language :D

To be sure that u could help me with this i post below XML Screen, screen of animation and blend files.

xxmlscreen.png

bugscreen.png

18 hours ago, hollowlunaticlol said:

Hi.
I have a little problem with animation that i created. It works in game, but... idk how to fix one thing. In blender i created animation for 2 sims - one lying on floor - and here is problem. When i choose my animation in game, sim stand - with animation ofc. I should change smth with blender or xml? Btw, sorry for my english - i have a little problem with this language :D

To be sure that u could help me with this i post below XML Screen, screen of animation and blend files.

xxmlscreen.png

firstanim.rar 5.42 MB · 0 downloads

bugscreen.png

2019-09-04_175115-cr3.jpg.2e1512b86d4b0571b5a65400896bafd0.jpg

for example hollowboth-correction.blend

Don't move actor in object mode, just do it in pose mode.

A lot of advices from R-Lo about this can be found on page 21 of this thread.

I just wanna know one thing - blender have option to block one of bones? I mean - it will stay in the same place, even if other bones gonna change their position. It takes me a lot of time to place rigs in good position if i move spine.

Is there a way to use existing packages' blender files from other authors as a starting point to tweak and make my own? Would credit original author of course.

Or is there a collection of standard blender templates with animations already? I'm having trouble getting started. Thank you for the help!

On 9/5/2019 at 5:22 PM, PZANIM said:

I just wanna know one thing - blender have option to block one of bones? I mean - it will stay in the same place, even if other bones gonna change their position. It takes me a lot of time to place rigs in good position if i move spine.

Search Inversive Kinematics in this topic. That's what you need. 

On 9/5/2019 at 5:22 PM, PZANIM said:

Also, take a look at this video tutorial. It explains Inversive Kinematic basics. 

Hello! I was hoping to get some help. I've been looking back and forth on this forum trying to learn more on inverse kinematics to help improve our animations + googling for info. Does anyone know a basic guide/easy-to-follow tutorial in helping some beginners learn IK better? Or if one doesn't exist, be willing to make a simple one? 

We were using the rigs provided in the WW tutorial, but we are definitely willing to switch if there are better rigs out there when it comes to IK since being able to keep bones in place when doing animations would be SUPER helpful (and allow us to have a better workflow)! I also apologize in advance for all these questions. (´•ω•`)/

Thanks !~ ♥ R

26 minutes ago, MuzzyDeath said:

Hello! I was hoping to get some help. I've been looking back and forth on this forum trying to learn more on inverse kinematics to help improve our animations + googling for info. Does anyone know a basic guide/easy-to-follow tutorial in helping some beginners learn IK better? Or if one doesn't exist, be willing to make a simple one? 

We were using the rigs provided in the WW tutorial, but we are definitely willing to switch if there are better rigs out there when it comes to IK since being able to keep bones in place when doing animations would be SUPER helpful (and allow us to have a better workflow)! I also apologize in advance for all these questions. (´•ω•`)/

Thanks !~ ♥ R

There are already rigs with IK out there, they're just well hidden.

Here are IK rigs for sims.

And if you want to create animal animations, you can find pet IK rigs in my signature.

• 1 month later...

So, I am new to this blender thing, but I have a lot of fun with it and hope to be able to make some cool stuff.

I tend to learn more from doing then hearing/reading, but I have been watching and reading some blender tutorials. Unfortunately, what they are saying don't seem to be the case with what I am doing.

I am using Blender 2.80. I am working on an animation with 2 characters, but when I save the file, the male loses his pose when I go back to it. The same thing happens when I try to save a keyframe in an animation. I know it is me doing something wrong...unless blender hates me.

(more of general discussion post...BUT!)

I just decided to buy my self a b-day present. Creatily Ender 3 (3d printer) and as I have non experience in rendering or sculpting in 3d i went trought the most information I could find about this stuff and I noticed that blender is one suitable free programs for the modelling... and guess what! You can actually export sim poses as models... HOW COOL IS DAT?!

(still gotta wait a week to actually get my printer, but I'm definitely going to print some naughty poses as soon as I get it ready!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

So, i need to ask about 2 things. How u animate objects? I mean - if u have tutorials for that, i'll grateful if u  share it or just explain it to me as simple as it is possible. Next question - if i wanna make some animations for objects created by other user - how could I get blender file of this object? Ofc, at first i'll get permission. :D

17 hours ago, PZANIM said:

So, i need to ask about 2 things. How u animate objects? I mean - if u have tutorials for that, i'll grateful if u  share it or just explain it to me as simple as it is possible. Next question - if i wanna make some animations for objects created by other user - how could I get blender file of this object? Ofc, at first i'll get permission. :D

For question number 2: you don't need permission, you just need to credit the original author in your thread (at least, this is what most of animators do).

To open it in Blender: Sims Studio -> My project -> Select package -> Meshes tab -> Export mesh

18 hours ago, PZANIM said:

Sorry for my poor English.

1. Tutorial Exporting Objects from The Sims 4 by TURBODRIVER.

2. In same way if you want to export the model from another package, just open it in S4Studio. Then select the "mesh" tab and export the object to ".blend" file. After that in Blender you can do same things with the object bones that you did with the actors.

Spoiler

2019-11-03_182730.jpg.d6e7a1cd772422e9701f7a2eaccbbede.jpg

2019-11-03_182956.jpg.cda160940ce17d11034278b627a62793.jpg

2019-11-03_183130.jpg.a529f837b4e805dc86f23f1b5bd68f97.jpg

Open blend file

2019-11-03_183429.jpg.336860379884914536d48e2174c41f3b.jpg

2019-11-03_184033.jpg.9f3fc14df884d6eba24fe67325b73be6.jpg

Try to use bone constraint "Child Of" - it's make the work with objects more easily.

3. Importing animation of object is exactly the same as for actors.

Spoiler

2019-11-04_010336.jpg.671863c31955829f7964643d42a130a2.jpg

4. In the game you need to know WWIDs and GUIDs of the objects (like you already used WWID for animation with barrels).

Spoiler

Ctrl+Shift+C - (Open console)

ww.enabledebug - (type in console to run debug mode)

Get Object Data (Debug) - (Select object and press button to see object debug)  

2019-11-03_194108.jpg.d6b7bd337a9a1eb62223c40dcb6d2baa.jpg

For each set color we are have GUID.

2019-11-03_194339.jpg.0420151d1d9db2b5b9df6e0b6d4ec9fc.jpg

5. After all this you need to edit XML Tuning File (Creating WickedWhims Animation XML File - another tutorial from TURBODRIVER).

Spoiler

2019-11-04_012850-2.jpg.65aa3ef00baeee4052949a84b5633e41.jpg

If you want objects with different colors or similar shapes to appear randomly in the animation in the same place use many GUIDs. Will be better if they have the similar rigs (many objects have only one bone bind with object - it's transformBone). Some rare objects are not working in animations - for me it's a some dishes from Basic game.

As a result, you get something like this: