Where is the git repository and wiki now?

Agreed. The wiki and repository are both down and have been down for a while ... I've been back into skyrim for about a month and in that time I've only seen it up once ... on the 28th of august ( I copied several things out of it into OneNote that day, and it keeps the date) ... although the errors have changed a few times ... so I think its had a few different problems ... I'm actually wondering if its being attacked. If thats the case, it may be entirely out of anyones control.

The main reason I pipped up and said something was because I am a firm believer in the squeaky wheel gets the grease ... if no one is complaining to Ashal that the repository/wiki is down ... then it seems like no one really cares that its down, so why should he spend time fixing it? Why should he fix something no one has interest in? So to get him to fix it, he needs to know that people are interested.

So far, it looks like you and I are the only ones talking about it and its been down for several weeks ... so not exactly a priority for the modding community to get it back up. I can't really blame him for not fixing it (assuming its actually something he can resolve).

It just sucks, because there is a lot of info about modding with the framework that isn't anywhere else.

Well, I think it's a case of veteran sexlab modders not needing to access it right now rather than nobody caring. That will surely change once 1.63 is released. But like you said, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If nobody mentions that it's down, there's really no way to know that it needs fixing. As for an attack, that seems unlikely. The more likely explanation is that the cname record got reset to default, possibly in a host upgrade. If that's the case, it's a very simple fix. My guess is that either he just hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet, or he's trying to figure out why it happened in the first place.

There were several lines of thought to support my supposition ... but its hardly worth getting into and whether its not really relevant. Honestly, I was posting that more as a way of conveying a possible reason for why it wasn't fixed that would put fixing it outside of anyones control ... thus getting away from a discussion that assigned blame or was bitchy.

As noted, my focus was simply to indicate interest in seeing it back up and possibly get a response from Ashal indicating when it may be back ... because if its going to be back in a few days or a week ... I'm going to just stop working on my mod until the wiki is back and I can look up the info I need ... but if its going to be a few months ... well then I probably wont have time to work on it anymore ... so I'll have to rethink what I'm working on ...

So I'm hoping the wiki comes back up soon cause it was real convenient to navigate and would make the thing I'm trying to finish go by in a flash, but as long as it's down I'd like to take a moment to inform everyone else looking for it that the source code has a very useful API and documentation in most of the files, so if you look around for a bit you can probably find most of what you're looking for.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

As im perfect newbie but wanting to go directly into modding.  I think that creating a wiki might be wonderfull idea.

Forum is good, but its sooo redundant and hard to find information. No hierarchy of the information. Have to read so much before realise im not reading the right stuff. And sometimes what is wroten is just wrong or outdated.  Each page of a wiki has a forum behind so readers know directly what the people are talking about in the forum

A wiki is the best way to boot-boost-noobs knowledge .

But maybe a sexlab-wiki do already exist ? ..

no, thats not what im talking about. 

A forum is unreadable for a beginner and full of parasit information. A tutorial always make an assumption of the level of knowledge of the reader

A wiki is readable for a beginner and the he can navigate through the details he's looking after.

This is the deep end of the pool.  There are no easy buttons here.  Those that are unwilling to do a bit of reading aren't going to make it anyway, so why waste time on them. 

I'm all for sharing knowledge, but to create and maintain things like a wiki is an incredible burden to take on.  Most folks who have that kind of knowledge tend to use it to create the mods that we all love.  

Hell, it is hard to get folks to read a damn read me file, let alone read a wiki.

It is probably best that beginners stick to using google and youtube vids.  A wiki can't compete with that.

There are no easy buttons here.  Those that are unwilling to do a bit of reading aren't going to make it anyway, so why waste time on them. 

I'm fully agree with you and it's a general problem with those lazy people (yes, maybe im lazy guy or just an humble newbie wanting yo go direct into the subject :)

But the point is : so many people just dont have time reading 100 topics before having a messy global view .  Why so many people prefer to pay a teacher to learn a language or piano rather than learning by themself for free?   Because their prefer to save time rather than money.  An the fact  is, in global amount, more time is wasted with answering on forums rather than maintaining a wiki.

So as a result : your modders are people : motivated and have time.  Reducing the learning time is the thing to do to gain more motivated people (or just, global motivation as an amount)

it is hard to get folks to read a damn read me file, let alone read a wiki

sorry, but its the opposite. Its more easier to find and answer in a wiki than in a flat .txt  in an unknown .rar somewhere. And on a forum, the information the people are looking after is hidden behind tons of comments.

It is probably best that beginners stick to using google and youtube vids.  A wiki can't compete with that.

Yes, and people might just click on the first result of google : wikipedia. 

And if in the article some points remains mysterious, thanks to the links found he will be able to navigate through the articles softly.  Beside this, a wiki can embedded videos (also youtube ones)  in a frame and the wiki page is used to comment the video.

+ Plus,  for each wiki article, a forum topic is related so people can discuss about the content.

Sorry to sound annoying, but the wiki is definively the documentation format for the 21century where people are more and more lazy and have less and less time.  This is just a suggestion

the work doesn't need to be re-do 100% .   You have the content,  just need to pull it into a new form .

There are no easy buttons here.  Those that are unwilling to do a bit of reading aren't going to make it anyway, so why waste time on them. 

I'm fully agree with you and it's a general problem with those lazy people (yes, maybe im lazy guy or just an humble newbie wanting yo go direct into the subject :)

But the point is : so many people just dont have time reading 100 topics before having a messy global view .  Why so many people prefer to pay a teacher to learn a language or piano rather than learning by themself for free?   Because their prefer to save time rather than money.  An the fact  is, in global amount, more time is wasted with answering on forums rather than maintaining a wiki.

The point here is, they pay those teachers. 

So as a result : your modders are people : motivated and have time.  Reducing the learning time is the thing to do to gain more motivated people (or just, global motivation as an amount)

I'm not a modder, i assume i could write most parts of a wiki, maybe i even could find the time, but i'm not motivated at all. The general rule in modding is: if you really want something, do it yourself. That fits for a mod, that fits for a wiki. So... good luck.

So people are lazy and modders should stop making mods and instead devote their time to creating wiki's for those lazy fuckers? What fucking kind of fantasy world do you live in? Creating a wiki is NOT easy and it takes a fuckton of time to maintain. You want it, then YOU DO IT! Why should the burden be on mod makers?

it is hard to get folks to read a damn read me file, let alone read a wiki

sorry, but its the opposite. Its more easier to find and answer in a wiki than in a flat .txt  in an unknown .rar somewhere. And on a forum, the information the people are looking after is hidden behind tons of comments.

Um......you missed my point entirely. The read me file I'm referring to is the one in the mod that folks download and most can't seem to be bothered to read. Yea, that one.

Yes, and people might just click on the first result of google : wikipedia. 

And if in the article some points remains mysterious, thanks to the links found he will be able to navigate through the articles softly.  Beside this, a wiki can embedded videos (also youtube ones)  in a frame and the wiki page is used to comment the video.

+ Plus,  for each wiki article, a forum topic is related so people can discuss about the content.

Sorry to sound annoying, but the wiki is definively the documentation format for the 21century where people are more and more lazy and have less and less time.  This is just a suggestion

the work doesn't need to be re-do 100% .   You have the content,  just need to pull it into a new form .

Yes, it is annoying. It always amazes me how folks waltz in and demand others take up a monster task and then can't figure out why folks won't. If you are too lazy to read, then you are too lazy to mod, so to all those lazy folks.....move along....nothing to see here.