A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

The funniest part is that people genuinely think that this is even remotely feasible.  I hope valve enjoys the 9,999 e-mails per day they're going to get about broken mods that people paid for and are now mad about because they don't work, or because those mods require 10 other mods that require 15 other mods that you can't even get on the steam workshop, that are a lot harder to install than clicking 'subscribe here.'

Which brings up a good point. What if a really huge developed mod that cost money relies on some content from a smaller mod that doesn't make any kind of cash? Or from an author that uploads modders resource. What then? Is that person going to get a percentage?

It's already happening.  The person who made http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13486/?(winter is coming - cloaks) a mod that both Wet & Cold and Frostfall use said no one has permission to use his mod for monetary gain.

This is only the beginning.

http://imgur.com/a/PEmVW

According to Valve it's no problem to rip off other modders that provide their tools for free. As you said, this is only the beginning.

Holy shit, so, unless you have a shitton of litigation push like big corporations have, you're basically fucked if you created real content and they want to use it. Chesko just lost all my respects with that weaselly answer of his about how it's 'fair game'. There's respect in the field and then there's this. I don't give a damn if he's giving refunds -after the fact- He tried to do it to begin with that's enough for me. Hasn't even been 24 hours (12 even?) and the evil of it is coming to light.

Price and dollar amount is not something that could be articulate. There are shitty product, shitty game, and shitty mod now I guess, and there are people who buys them or not.

An argument rather if X mod is really worth Y dollar varies between person to person.

Quality checking/bugs/glitches falls into that as well.

The hobby vs business however strangely enough, give a call to the IRS if you are in the US and they'll explain it to you when tax time comes :P

As for bethesda reliance on mods, well this is just going to be part of their core package of expectation now.

In the past player might be willing to accept their games being a little buggy or not to their liking, but the "promise" of mods is enough for them to commit to pick it up.

And I am sure beth takes that into account, therefore they know how much they can get away with.

But with this new monetary system, the player should know to reserve judgement and wait, while if bethesda still want that sale they will need to commit more into making their games less buggy since they can't get away with as much as before.

You can say whatever you want, but I can finally have horse genitals in high resolution for less than 100$!

I can't wait for the guy who made Falskaar or other "overrated" people who think the world owes them something to ask crazy shit for their mods as if they made a completely new game.

£66.99
not-yet.png?v=1
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Per page: 9 18 30

67 quid for a horse cock he can shove his horse cock up his ass overpriced for a mod

If you look, there's quite a few mods that are going up for sale that are basically satire. I don't think this guy or the one that said "hey here's a bloody rag, some trash and a plate I made, pay me" are seriously thinking they are going to get approved. I for one hope that the workshop gets flooded with this kind of thing.

fore06151 iconGames.png 2 godz. temu 
Devon
:
Hey Chesko, I wonder whether you have any permission from Fores New Idles in Skyrim to use his assets in your mod that you charge money for?

No, he has not.

And making money with mods is totally against my attitude. It's the end of a working and inventive modding community.

fore

Was this about Chesko's fishing thing ? I wonder how much a "fishing mod with custom animations for 3$" without custom animations will sell  :lol:

Edit : Wait Chesko was busy signing agreements, contracts and shit a month before this whole crap started and neither him nor Valve nor isoku from W&C felt it necessary to contact fore or nivea whose work they use ?!! I can't even ... 

Guest endgameaddiction

At the very least the mods with a price tag should be held to the exact same standarts as dlc. 

1 There would have to be quality reasurance. The mods would have to be screened before they are put up for sale, to see if they actually work as advertised. 

2. ALL mods have to be able to work together. There is no such thing as "mod conflicts" or "incompatibilities" in the world of dlc's. If I buy 10.000 mods, they would ALL have to work    seamlessly together. Just like dlc's do. 

3. Some complex mods require additional tasks to make them work, it isn't always just a matter of pushing a button that says "install". (See FNIS for example). However the steam workshop does not posses the facilities for this, therefore they will have to be added, basically a build in Mod Organizer. 

And lets face it people, NONE of the above is going to happen. This is a disaster waiting to happen, mods are a completely different animal than dlc's. You can't just sell tons of user created content, none of it created to work together, none of it originally designed to be in the game and all of it overseen by hundreds, maybe thousands if independent modders who probably don't interact and expect this to end well. 

Coming form Valve, I'm not surprised. They have no knowledge being mod developing behind mod development rather. Bethesda on the other hand, should have put much more thought into this as they know the conflicts.

Devon:
Hey Chesko, I wonder whether you have any permission from Fores New Idles in Skyrim to use his assets in your mod that you charge money for?

No, he has not.

And making money with mods is totally against my attitude. It's the end of a working and inventive modding community.

fore

Was this about Chesko's fishing thing ? I wonder how much a "fishing mod with custom animations for 3$" without custom animations will sell  :lol:

He actually had a note buried in the description (fairly it was at the top but not prominent in the first paragraph) Saying it wasn't going to have custom animations and there was an outside link you had to go to which had an explanation that you needed FNIS. I pointed out to the boyfriend about an hour ago and asked him what Fores would think. Then, we are treated to the outraged answer.

So if Fore add a price tag on the steam distribution page, but still have his mod available to get from somewhere else for free...?

What will happen?

Also what about mods that are just CK and esp changes?

How are those handle?

To that I answer : 27 dollars bundle, 17 swords, 2 armors and a blue rabbit unicorn.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429226887

...thanks?

67 quid for a horse cock he can shove his horse cock up his ass overpriced for a mod

I believe that was the joke.

At the very least the mods with a price tag should be held to the exact same standarts as dlc.

Wait, Bethesda and Valve have standards? Have you looked at a Bethesda release lately? Or how about a little something called Air Control? Do you know what does it mean?

You can say whatever you want, but I can finally have horse genitals in high resolution for less than 100$!

I can't wait for the guy who made Falskaar or other "overrated" people who think the world owes them something to ask crazy shit for their mods as if they made a completely new game.

£66.99
not-yet.png?v=1
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Per page: 9 18 30

If you look, there's quite a few mods that are going up for sale that are basically satire. I don't think this guy or the one that said "hey here's a bloody rag, some trash and a plate I made, pay me" are seriously thinking they are going to get approved. I for one hope that the workshop gets flooded with this kind of thing.

i wouldnt be suprised if he got it from nasty creatures mod or 1 from this site and is trying to sell it as his own those who make crap and expect to sell needs to be woken up shit doesnt sell

Devon:

No, he has not.

fore

He actually had a note buried in the description (fairly it was at the top but not prominent in the first paragraph) Saying it wasn't going to have custom animations and there was an outside link you had to go to which had an explanation that you needed FNIS. I pointed out to the boyfriend about an hour ago and asked him what Fores would think. Then, we are treated to the outraged answer.

I be damned you're right ! This is pretty funny. In the wrong way. I know fore"s reading this or is gonna read this : SHOW YOUR TEETH MAN !

Unfortunately Valve said using content from other free mods is fair game... :(

Fins an SKES is a software not a mod. I bet if they sued valve they would get royalties not only for mods that was sold (that used it) but with luck for every copy of skyrim sold ;p

(wild)Assumption based on hot coffee precedence.

Valve can go suck a lemon. If the SKSE or FNIS author(s) say their tools can't be used to make money, they will screw a lot of people up.

Edit: damnit windpl ninja-ed me.

Modding and money do not mix.

Looks like from now on anyone that puts their content on the paid mods page is going to end up on my ignore list and I'll just enjoy Bethesda games without their content.

I'm all for supporting modders who do good work. But this is beyond arrogance.

If Chesko puts out Frostfall 2.0 in a paid only format I can assure you I will put every effort into ensuring I don't have to use Frostfall at all, ever again.

Valve can go suck a lemon. If the SKSE or FNIS author(s) say their tools can't be used to make money, they will screw a lot of people up.

maybe they should do that if they did that valve wont get jack shit from it and would be bought down a peg or 2 same as those who sell mods that uses mods like skse fnis and so on there stealing others works and modding them to make profit which is ilegal

fnis small print at the bottom of his page

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11811/?

Licensing/Legal

The FNIS Behavior can only be downloaded and used in the described way. Without my express permission you are NOT ALLOWED

• to upload FNIS Behavior TO ANY OTHER SITE
  • to distribute FNIS Behavior as part of another mod
  • to distribute modified versions of FNIS Behavior
  • to make money with files which are part of FNIS Behavior, or which are created with the help of FNIS Behavior

You can use and modify FNIS Idle Spells in any way that does not prevent running (the original) FNIS Idles Spells in its described way. Simply give credit, and inform me when you include it into your mod.

Guest endgameaddiction

So if Fore add a price tag on the steam distribution page, but still have his mod available to get from somewhere else for free...?

What will happen?

Also what about mods that are just CK and esp changes?

How are those handle?

It's handled by the way we treat it. It's up to us to figure out what is worth a price and what isn't.

I'm sure this implementation will push through solely for the one purpose alone, money. But this goes to show you how ignorant Valve is  The consequences behind it. There will never be any lawsuit because in the end regardless of thievery, you are using and/or applying content to Bethesda property and they will use any force necessary against anyone who tries to retaliate. Furthermore, Content created by a user like custom meshes and textures will be treated as "at your own risk". Sure a stolen mod will get taken down, but that's it.

Wonder if people are going to unendorse Frostfall now that this incident has happened with Chesko.

I'm pretty sure there stuff that forbids this.

In theory it violates Bethesda's EULA since people can't charge for anything made with their software.  That is why they freely and shamelessly steal script schemes and ideas from modders.  The only things they don't own are original meshes and textures.  Bethesda can pretty much do whatever they want since they have an army of attorneys ready to battle anyone who might take them to task for the flagrant misuse of content they didn't make or have legitimate legal claim to.  They're part of a corporation and that's what corporations do.  They only way to beat them is to scuttle their plans as individuals, and that is a 100% certainty.  Does anyone really think Russian, Korean, and Japanese mod clans are going to take this crap?  They'll do exactly what I've said they will do; buy the mods from a fund and then hand them out to anyone who wants them.  And there is no way Steam/Valve, Bethesda/Zenimax or the greedy grubbing modders can stop it.

This is exactly what i thought and posted on a few other forums LMAO

Might be a dumb question, but what is that endorsing thing? I always hear about it, but never understood what it actually is for.

endorse
ɪnˈdɔːs,ɛn-/
verb
gerund or present participle: endorsing
  1. 1.
    declare one's public approval or support of.
    "the report was endorsed by the college"
  2. 2.
    sign (a cheque or bill of exchange) on the back to make it payable to someone other than the stated payee or to accept responsibility for paying it.

sorry but copy and paste tends to screw up >.<

Archived