Sexlab Troubleshooting

View File

Troubleshooting your Skyrim and Sexlab issues.

This is not a mod. I have produced a mod that has become fairly popular and I am constantly getting asked why my mod does not work for the player. Things just don't work or they have CTDs or things slow down due to script lag. I tell them over and over that my mod is not their issue and after a long and painful exchange on the forums, we generally find their problems, get them fixed and they are happy campers.

This I hope will be where you mod authors send your users to find a fix to their problems that are generally not your fault. I also hope you will contribute your experiences. As time goes by, I will update the RTF file with your recommendations.

So, to begin with, you need to know how to make a papyrus log. This is contained in the RTF, but here it is again:

Your save games are located at:

MyDocuments->\my games->skyrim->saves

Your papyrus logs are at

MyDocuments->\my games->skyrim->Logs->Script

Your ini files are

MyDocuments->\my games->skyrim->

To start making papyrus logs, modify Skyrim.ini to contain the following:

[Papyrus]

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

Later when you want to disable logging, change the 1s to 0s above. It is recommended that you enable logging only when you want to make a log file. At all other times, logging should be disabled.

You might need these tools:

SaveTool.exe

Save Game Script Scalpel aka PDT

Tes5Edit

You might also like to try SexLab Aroused Redux you are having script lag or CTD issues and you use SexLab Aroused. As mentioned, I am not pushing this mod. I really couldn't care if you use it or not, but it has helped many many people. Here is a quote:

WOW!!!! I really don't have words to express how I feel right now!!!! Back history: I started playing skyrim on my xbox360 when it first came out the first day. I've been a PC gamer pretty much all my life, so I took that save and moved to my new rig 2 years ago and started modding. Fast forward until yesterday I've been plagued by stutters and crashing. Not to the point where it was unplayable so I tolerated it because I love the game. I was reading your support discussion and thought I would give it a shot to fix my issues. I prolly have over 250 mods active as well. I also read in a prior post about papyrus data transfer tool and removed all my clutter from my save file as well. I played at least 3-4 hours last night without one stutter or one single ctd. Unbelievable!!!!!! This with PDT has turned my old save back into virgin. I just want to say thank you so much!!!! Also to the guy that suggested PDT, thank you bro. I'm on my phone so I can't go back through the posts to get your name. Fish you're awesome.

The download contains some additional information related to CTDs that I have not duplicated here. If you are having CTD issues, download and read it.

Hope this helps lots of people and all you mod authors, please post on the forum your solutions to common problems. I will collect them all and incorporate them into the download.

This first topic is reserved for future gems.  I will update it periodically.

Please post any sage advise you have here in the forums.  I'll compile them and add them all to the rtf (with credits to the author of course) and put the most useful ones here in this first topic.

However I've found out pretty damn conclusively that ESFAela's author was absolutely correct, without touching script cleaning or anything that could have broken it I've had stack dumps from Frostfall and a dozen other well known mods that just aren't going to have the kind of bad scripts that you speak of in the troubleshooting document. In fact in every single one of the so far six instances I've solved it, it wasnt' the mod that was dumping that was the problem, it was another mod running over and over somewhere else in the papyrus log, or even in two instances a mod that put one or two error messages in the papyrus log but was still the reason why the other mod was stack dumping. From this I'd guess that this is generally going to be the majroity case, and by getting rid of the stack dumping mods you've gotten rid of healty well made mods and kept bad ones that then just didn't have anything else to kick around. Don't trust the Papyrus log in other words, it's not always right, and you often have to look through script folders specifically and look up a dozen scripts on the net to find the one that's acutally the cause of it.

The above is related to papyrus logs with lots of stack dumps.  Looks like good advise.

I want to start this post by saying thank you.  I run the max number of mods and yes I know that can cause problems, but with a few tweaks to skyrim I've been able to get it running very smoothly since my computer is no slouch.  That being said, I have had a ton of problems with getting certain mods either working or simply showing up. 

For a time though, I had no papyruis logs showing up at all despite the settings being set right in Skyrim.ini,  this had led me to a strategy of "not working, just dump it and move on".  I know that some of my problems may be related to certain issues that TES5EDIT may fix, and since I have it, I will be running it.  That being said, when i looked at my papyrus log... ewww

I can't make heads or tails of it, even with word wrap turned on.  So here is the pre TES5EDIT version, I really hope that someone can help me figure out exactly where the issue... or issues lie. 

Papyrus.0.log

I want to start this post by saying thank you.  I run the max number of mods and yes I know that can cause problems, but with a few tweaks to skyrim I've been able to get it running very smoothly since my computer is no slouch.  That being said, I have had a ton of problems with getting certain mods either working or simply showing up. 

For a time though, I had no papyruis logs showing up at all despite the settings being set right in Skyrim.ini,  this had led me to a strategy of "not working, just dump it and move on".  I know that some of my problems may be related to certain issues that TES5EDIT may fix, and since I have it, I will be running it.  That being said, when i looked at my papyrus log... ewww

I can't make heads or tails of it, even with word wrap turned on.  So here is the pre TES5EDIT version, I really hope that someone can help me figure out exactly where the issue... or issues lie. 

attachicon.gifPapyrus.0.log

You have serious save game corruption problems.  Download the attached RTF file and read the section about how bad it is to install and then uninstall mods.  If I were you, I would start a new game. NEVER UNINSTALL A MOD AND KEEP PLAYING ON THE SAME SAVE.  I spent 5 minutes in your log file and counted 11 scripts missing and I bet there are 50 or more in there. 

If you don't want to start a new game, read the section on savetool.exe and use it.  It might help you.  If not, follow the link above and in the rtf  to PDT and start reading and following his directions.

Very nice initiative, but doesn't this rather belong in the support area instead of the downloads.

This is not designed to be generic support.  It is a collection place for useful advise.  I may or may not answer questions posted here depending on my work load.

What I will do is collect the advise that experienced people leave here and put it in the RTF so that people can answer their own questions.

Very nice initiative, but doesn't this rather belong in the support area instead of the downloads.

This is not designed to be generic support.  It is a collection place for useful advise.  I may or may not answer questions posted here depending on my work load.

What I will do is collect the advise that experienced people leave here and put it in the RTF so that people can answer their own questions.

I understand that. The only reason I made the suggestion is that if I see there is a special forum for support, I got there to see for solutions to my issues. Other people who don't visit these forums regulary or are new to the forums might not know there's a special troubleshooting post in the downloads.

As I said it's a very good initiative, but it will only help people if they can find it. Simple solution would be to also add a topic in the support forum that links to this post.

First, thank you very much Fish for helping me understand what was inside of my papyrus logs.  I'm not sure, but I may have found the reason behind all of the crazy problems.  It's not quite because of installations and uninstallations since the log I sent you was effectively a new game, but looking into that that will be step two if this doesn't work.    I know that this board is not meant for troubleshooting, but I may have found some advice that could solve a few problems.

I use Mod Organizer, not NMM, and with how MO handles mods, it makes ripping everything out a bit easier if I need to.  That being said, it has certain... issues with installing certain addons such as SKSE.  What I have found, at least found on Nexus' forums, and fair warning, I haven't tried it, is that certain addons, ie: ENB, SKSE, need to be installed a very particular way or as the poster claims, MO will not be able to see certain scripts for SKSE, and ENB.  Since I have both, it could be causing my problems.  

I can send a document with all of the specific instructions upon request but that's where I'm headed first.

First, thank you very much Fish for helping me understand what was inside of my papyrus logs.  I'm not sure, but I may have found the reason behind all of the crazy problems.  It's not quite because of installations and uninstallations since the log I sent you was effectively a new game, but looking into that that will be step two if this doesn't work.    I know that this board is not meant for troubleshooting, but I may have found some advice that could solve a few problems.

I use Mod Organizer, not NMM, and with how MO handles mods, it makes ripping everything out a bit easier if I need to.  That being said, it has certain... issues with installing certain addons such as SKSE.  What I have found, at least found on Nexus' forums, and fair warning, I haven't tried it, is that certain addons, ie: ENB, SKSE, need to be installed a very particular way or as the poster claims, MO will not be able to see certain scripts for SKSE, and ENB.  Since I have both, it could be causing my problems.  

I can send a document with all of the specific instructions upon request but that's where I'm headed first.

Please keep us posted on anything you find, you are likely to help a great many people.

Okay, Fishburger sent me here from the Sex Slaves support question, so here's my papyrus log. I have no idea how to read it and would appreciate hints on how to fix this on my own if there is a problem. Previously my sole issue at all I had even with a massive load order was that Sex Slaves would not advance past "It's a trap!", now after enabling logging and traveling back to the entrance to Mia's dungeon I'm CTDing outside it and I have no idea why. This is the first time in this playthrough that I get CTDs at a location, before I had to play for hours for the game to crash, and then it didn't crash again when I reloaded and did the exact same thing.

Attached are my CTD'ed Papyrus log, and my Mod Organizer Loardorder and modlist (all with plusses on are active, lowest are loaded first). I'd appreciate any help. Up until this point as said I have had no problems at all, so unless that has just been lurking in the background ready to explode and make my game unplayable I'd prefer a surgical fix that will let me keep playing this game rather than start a new one.

Note that aside from uninstalling and then reinstalling AFT and Predator Vision because they weren't working (it seems I have to reinstall those mid game on every new Mod Organizer profile) I have not uninstalled a single thing, I've used Save Game Cleaner to remove some 20ish orphan scripts (likely from that uninstall/reinstall) and currently my game is reading as 'nothing needs fixing', also I've used LOOT and TE5Edit and cleaned everything that LOOT told me to clean, LOOT's only problems currently is that Moonpath to Elseweyr contains one bad edit that I can't fix, and LOOT warns me that UNP Clothing Merchants can be a problem because of very large amounts of clothing, but as said I've not had any problems with it.

Papyrus.0.log

loadorder.txt

modlist.txt

Okay, Fishburger sent me here from the Sex Slaves support question, so here's my papyrus log. I have no idea how to read it and would appreciate hints on how to fix this on my own if there is a problem. Previously my sole issue at all I had even with a massive load order was that Sex Slaves would not advance past "It's a trap!", now after enabling logging and traveling back to the entrance to Mia's dungeon I'm CTDing outside it and I have no idea why. This is the first time in this playthrough that I get CTDs at a location, before I had to play for hours for the game to crash, and then it didn't crash again when I reloaded and did the exact same thing.

Attached are my CTD'ed Papyrus log, and my Mod Organizer Loardorder and modlist (all with plusses on are active, lowest are loaded first). I'd appreciate any help. Up until this point as said I have had no problems at all, so unless that has just been lurking in the background ready to explode and make my game unplayable I'd prefer a surgical fix that will let me keep playing this game rather than start a new one.

Note that aside from uninstalling and then reinstalling AFT and Predator Vision because they weren't working (it seems I have to reinstall those mid game on every new Mod Organizer profile) I have not uninstalled a single thing, I've used Save Game Cleaner to remove some 20ish orphan scripts (likely from that uninstall/reinstall) and currently my game is reading as 'nothing needs fixing', also I've used LOOT and TE5Edit and cleaned everything that LOOT told me to clean, LOOT's only problems currently is that Moonpath to Elseweyr contains one bad edit that I can't fix, and LOOT warns me that UNP Clothing Merchants can be a problem because of very large amounts of clothing, but as said I've not had any problems with it.

Lol, I had hoped that the rtf would help you.  Your log is chock full of hundreds and hundreds of errors.  No one can know all the log entries that every mod puts out and that is the case with me in particular because I try to keep them to a minimum.

I noted in your post that you ran your save through savetool.  Is the log you posted here from before or after that exercise?  If this is after, let me share a quote with you:

WOW!!!! I really don't have words to express how I feel right now!!!! Back history: I started playing skyrim on my xbox360 when it first came out the first day. I've been a PC gamer pretty much all my life, so I took that save and moved to my new rig 2 years ago and started modding. Fast forward until yesterday I've been plagued by stutters and crashing. Not to the point where it was unplayable so I tolerated it because I love the game. I was reading your support discussion and thought I would give it a shot to fix my issues. I prolly have over 250 mods active as well. I also read in a prior post about papyrus data transfer tool and removed all my clutter from my save file as well. I played at least 3-4 hours last night without one stutter or one single ctd. Unbelievable!!!!!! This with PDT has turned my old save back into virgin. I just want to say thank you so much!!!! Also to the guy that suggested PDT, thank you bro. I'm on my phone so I can't go back through the posts to get your name. Fish you're awesome.

I am pointing this out not because of Redux, but because of lordblacks time spent with PDT.  Savetool just does a quick and dirty save game clean.  It has fixed my ass way more than once.  But,  PDT does a much more thorough job, but it is a LOT more work.  The web site is listed above.  The instructions are clear and very LENGTHY, but if you want to save your save (you don't want to start a new game), it might be worth your time.

Skyrim will work fine with most of the errors you your log.  It won't like it, it will run slower, but it will run.

This however is really problematic:

stack:

[None].AAFlyScriptB.onBeginState() - "AAFlyScriptB.psc" Line 231

[None].AAFlyScriptB.GotoState() - "ActiveMagicEffect.psc" Line ?

[None].AAFlyScriptB.onBeginState() - "AAFlyScriptB.psc" Line 337

[None].AAFlyScriptB.onBeginState() - "AAFlyScriptB.psc" Line ?

[None].AAFlyScriptB.onBeginState() - "AAFlyScriptB.psc" Line 264

[None].AAFlyScriptB.onBeginState() - "AAFlyScriptB.psc" Line 337

[None].AAFlyScriptB.onBeginState() - "AAFlyScriptB.psc" Line ?

[None].AAFlyScriptB.onBeginState() - "AAFlyScriptB.psc" Line 264

<truncated stack>

Note the "truncated stack" at the end.  That means that the stack trace is repeated many times more.  The script causing this is REALLY crashed.  This script AAFlyScriptB.psc is not on my machine and is therefore not a vanilla script.  I did a google search and came up with "Flying Mod Beta".  Not sure if this is it, but I would bet a dime to a donut that if you can find and remove this problem, you game will run smooter and you might be able to play Sex Slaves.

This is what caused your latest CTD.

Ah, I was hoping it wasn't flying mod, as that's incredibly fun (i have Alduin's dragon wings animated beautifully and a fly spell, fly configuration spell and a fly companion spell to make them fly after me). However I have had an issue with that in-game that is evidence of that failed script; every time you activate fly it equips a 'flying effect' item in the form of a ring, you then fly at a huge speed (I've gone from Riften to Solitude in about 5 mins loading everything between, no crash) and when you deactivate fly it's supposed to unequip Flyng Effects and set your speed back to normal... it very often doesn't do that, you'll end up with 5-6 flying effects rings in your inventory and you often keep the movement speed while on the ground, I think the highest speedmult I've ended up on this way was something like 1200, at this point my walk was a lot faster than normal run... Let's just say I've never used Whirlwind Sprint once on my last three characters. Once my falling distance also got modded so that falling off a rock not much taller than my character I could lose half my health. I use the SkyTweak tool to monitor and fix these things in-game as I don't know my way much around the console beyond the basics. Even with these errors I've kept using Flying Mod for half a year now simply because it's fun enough to use that it's worth putting up with these problems.

I'm going to work a bit with that tool mentioned tomorrow and see if I can make it work, for now removing Flying Mod (or any mod really, I have very bad experiences uninstalling mods mid-game likely shared by many) is going to be my last option, but one I will take if it means saving the character.

Ah, I was hoping it wasn't flying mod, as that's incredibly fun (i have Alduin's dragon wings animated beautifully and a fly spell, fly configuration spell and a fly companion spell to make them fly after me). However I have had an issue with that in-game that is evidence of that failed script; every time you activate fly it equips a 'flying effect' item in the form of a ring, you then fly at a huge speed (I've gone from Riften to Solitude in about 5 mins loading everything between, no crash) and when you deactivate fly it's supposed to unequip Flyng Effects and set your speed back to normal... it very often doesn't do that, you'll end up with 5-6 flying effects rings in your inventory and you often keep the movement speed while on the ground, I think the highest speedmult I've ended up on this way was something like 1200, at this point my walk was a lot faster than normal run... Let's just say I've never used Whirlwind Sprint once on my last three characters. Once my falling distance also got modded so that falling off a rock not much taller than my character I could lose half my health. I use the SkyTweak tool to monitor and fix these things in-game as I don't know my way much around the console beyond the basics. Even with these errors I've kept using Flying Mod for half a year now simply because it's fun enough to use that it's worth putting up with these problems.

I'm going to work a bit with that tool mentioned tomorrow and see if I can make it work, for now removing Flying Mod (or any mod really, I have very bad experiences uninstalling mods mid-game likely shared by many) is going to be my last option, but one I will take if it means saving the character.

Before you install a mod for testing, make a save with console command save <beforeModName>.  Then you test it and play with it and determine if you just can't live without it.  If you decide it wasn't as much fun as you thought, uninstall and reload you beforeModName save.  You never again have any issues.

Okay, I went ahead and removed FLying Mod and related mods, cleaned those scripts from my save (7 scripts), then ran again, this time I did not CTD outside the entrance to Mia's lair, but I still can't get past the whipping stage. I waited 2-3 minutes after Archerone had started whipping me, then quit.

Here's my new log attached.

Papyrus.0.log

Okay I tried to use PDT but obviously I'm too stupid to make it work properly, I loaded my save and did the basic remove unattached instances, nothing was removed according to the log, further on I don't know entirely where to proceed to clean the save if it can be cleaned.

Okay, I went ahead and removed FLying Mod and related mods, cleaned those scripts from my save (7 scripts), then ran again, this time I did not CTD outside the entrance to Mia's lair, but I still can't get past the whipping stage. I waited 2-3 minutes after Archerone had started whipping me, then quit.

Here's my new log attached.

You still have some problems.  If you read the enclosed RTF, you will have noted that:

Stack trace:

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]         [ (37014803)].FormList.HasForm() - "<native>" Line ?

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             IP: 0

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             [param1]: [Form < (EB03DB25)>]

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]         [alias _WL_Player on quest _WL_LanternQuest2 (37007FDB)]._wl_lanternoil_v3.OnItemRemoved() - "_WL_LanternOil_v3.psc" Line 279

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             IP: 0    Instruction: 0    Line: 279

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             [akBaseItem]: [Form < (EB03DB25)>]

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             [aiItemCount]: 1

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             [akItemReference]: None

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             [akDestContainer]: [ObjectReference < (DB04B7FA)>]

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             [::temp12]: False

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             [::temp13]: None

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             [::temp14]: False

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM]             [::NoneVar]: None

[12/10/2014 - 02:31:27AM] Dumping stack 35132861:

Stack dumps are VERY bad.  This is a runaway script that is choaking your game.  I have no idea where these originate from, but I bet if you google search a few of them, you will find your answer.

These may be a result of you attempts to clean the save.  Here are a couple to look for from your log:

DCOPlayerScript.psc

WTWispWrappingsCounter.psc (several dozen of these)

"_WL_LanternOil_v3.psc (several dozen of these)

Have a look at your log with wordpad.exe.  You need to know how to do this yourself.  You don't need to know the details, just what to look for.  Scroll down to the end and you will see all these stack dumps.  You should NEVER have stack dumps in your log.

You cannot proceed until they are cleaned up.

DCOPlayerscript is Dragon Combat Overhaul, I kinda need that to make dragon fights any interesting. Those mods in Epic Gameplay Overhaul does have a reputation on them for being buggy, but I was hoping he'd have fixed them by now. Removing them is not an option at this point as that would ruin the save I know from experience (it includes a Civil War Overhaul part and I'm already past the point of no return for uninstalling that). Plus Dragon combat just isnt' any fun without it anymore.

Lantern Oil script is from http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17416/?Chescko's Wearable Lanterns, it's odd that's a problem as that's from the Frostfall author, I would have expected him not to make such an error. Then again it could come from my script cleaning as well.

I have no idea what WTWispWrappingsCounter.psc is or where it comes from however, and google searches turned up nothing.

The save you posted earlier is crashing hard.  You are not going to do anything script heavy with that save.  You are also not going to do the civil war scene.  If you want to use that save, you have to clean it up so it does not have those stack dumps.

I agree that your previous attempts with PDT may be the issue.

Would appreciate any feedback you can provide when you find the fix. Lots of people might benefit.

Thing is... Sex Slaves is the single mod so far that doesn't work for me, everything else goes perfectly, I play for around 4 hours between each crash, I have no lag at all with beautiful graphics (basically every single texture in the game replaced, and a powerful ENB with a crapton of effects), everything in the base game including Civil War (I'm near the middle of it, battle for whiterun went perfectly... then again I was Imperial side on this playthrough, the Stormcloak version is alot more intensive) works great without a glitch, Galudur Amulet reforging scene and fighting the three brothers worked great even with all of them having complex scripted abilities from three separate mods (I've had to abandon that quest's final part multiple times in the past on other saves), I even got the Nightingale/Nocturnal scene working perfectly when I had to use console commands and force Karliah to move into position because she wanted to walk back to winterhold instead in near unmodded game. The flying mod was a problem only in that those Flying Effects rings and the speed bump kept sticking but that was remedied easily using Skytweak and just dumping the rings, I was flying across the entire main Skyrim area without any issues. I'm actually considering reinstalling it already in fact, but for now I'm trying to make do with Bat Travel's Cloud of Bats flight. Occasionally (if I've played for 5-6 hours instead without it crashing) I do get delayed scripts with things like Bat Travel, Vampiric thirst's feeding or effects from Forgotten Magic not working, but in that case I just save, quit to desktop, load my "Janitor" save (which is a 'virgin' character the instant after character creation in the Live Another Life starting cell before any scripts started up) then load my save and the scripts have cleaned up and are working well, everything triggering instantly. I've played this save for 40+ hours now and Sex Slaves and that CTD issue I mentioned earlier are the only errors I've ever had. Oh and as I just one-shotted Paarthunax to staggered when demonstrating fire breath on him, I think my shouts may have an issue with being scaled up too high, just a guess. All of this on a computer I've had for 5 years and the only upgrade I've done on it have been adding another harddrive and watercooling.

I don't know, at this point I'm just going to keep playing and see if anything screws up and save Sex Slaves for a save when I can run with as few mods as possible. Not sure if I'm interested in a pure porn game though, what attracted me to your mod was the intergration and quest parts, what I really want is sex added to all the rest as another part of the game not the focus, and a relatively small (1/8ish) part of the game at that. Even so what I saw of Sex Slaves up until it stopped was actually pretty fun so I may just make a minimalistic game and just run through it over a few hours.

One thing that does strike me however was that when I quote my load order on other sites and ask for advice on fixing things, the first thing they always tell me is to get rid of the sex mods as no one trusts them and they default to that being the problem, but instead the mods that have popped up here as problematic have all been big and well-endorsed mods, I've never had any issue with Lovers Lab mods up until now, and that is almost certainly caused by other mods. I've never had to clean a single mod I've gotten from Lovers Lab with TES5Edit. So yeah, thank you guys for putting out quality, well made stuff with far few bugs than the 'normal' mods.

EDIT: A preempt on the '5 year old computer running all those mods? I call bullshit' post that always shows up here, said 5 year old computer was bought top of the the line, it's got a gtx 580 8 gig vram card, a intel i5 2500k processor and 8 gig ram, and I've gone through all the steps (parking cores beyond what games actually use, making sure the game uses 2+ gig ram, skse memory patch and enboost takes care of the rest). Needless to say that was not a cheap computer, but 5 years (possibly 4; can't remember, whoever bothers looking up when those things first came on the marked can probably correct me) later it's still running everything on the marked perfectly with all options to full.