One of my friends girlfriends used considers herself a gamer because of farmville. Now my mate and I get together ever so often to whoop somebody's butt from our classic era of games (16-bit). So 1 night we started trekking into streets of rage 3 (dont know if any of you guys have played it a tough nut to crack).After we finish it she ask's me to help her get better at gaming, her boyfriend burst's his hole laughing at her. Not because she wanted to learn but more because I turn into the drill sarg from full metal jacket in game's. She is now on par with her boyfriend and myself in certain game's like mario and pretty damn close in the sonic games. Just thought that was a cool story for women in gaming.

Reality check: actual gamers don't give a shit about any of this. Most folks who sign off on this are those two-hours-a-week types.

Owning a motorcycle doesn't make you a biker, voting doesn't make you a politician, and finishing Super Mario doesn't make you a gamer. Period.

Having a blog also doesn't make you a journalist.. legal definitions notwithstanding. ;)

I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down.

Also I own two sportbikes, and ride year round. Trying to sell one of 'em, tough this time of year because so many pansies stop riding as soon as the leaves start changing color or the temperature is below 70. :D

One of my friends girlfriends used considers herself a gamer because of farmville.

I remember there was this report recently that said women are now the biggest gamer demographic. I thought it was a little suspicious, then I found out they consider a "gamer" anyone who plays candy crush or that kim kardashian "game". That was just depressing.

Guest corespore

One of my friends girlfriends used considers herself a gamer because of farmville.

I remember there was this report recently that said women are now the biggest gamer demographic. I thought it was a little suspicious, then I found out they consider a "gamer" anyone who plays candy crush or that kim kardashian "game". That was just depressing.

Hell, my first console came with pong....and pong only. By today's standers that would be considered a casual game. Tetris, super Mario.bros, megaman, pacman, even sonic. All of the first games were casual by today's standards.

Now, if you don't play C.O.D for hours on end and scream fag every two minutes your just a dirty casual. As if we didn't spend the last twenty trying to make our love of games legit to the public in general now we are splitting up our own into groups. 

Hell, my first console came with pong....and pong only. By today's standers that would be considered a casual game. Tetris, super Mario.bros, megaman, pacman, even sonic. All of the first games were casual by today's standards.

Now, if you don't play C.O.D for hours on end and scream fag every two minutes your just a dirty casual. As if we didn't spend the last twenty trying to make our love of games legit to the public in general now we are splitting up our own into groups. 

That is true but these people would not put as much time or effort into game (farmville or otherwise) as many people here do, not just in the likes of wow, cod or say fifa. Some people just want the tag gamer so they will fit in with the group. I aint just applying that to the ladies but men too. Most games can be casual depending on the the player but I personally would not count the old mario and sonic games as casual they can still bitch slap you around the place.

That is true but these people would not put as much time or effort into game (farmville or otherwise) as many people here do, not just in the likes of wow, cod or say fifa. Some people just want the tag gamer so they will fit in with the group. I aint just applying that to the ladies but men too. Most games can be casual depending on the the player but I personally would not count the old mario and sonic games as casual they can still bitch slap you around the place.

I still remeber the hang gliding difficulties I had in Sonic 2 on the Sega Master System 2 , and Axel the Kidd so darn hard games if you where not careful and I still remember my mothers laughing when I died on the first level...

I have never seen a better gamer then my mother. from the Commodor 64 with Wizard of War and Montezumas Revenge where she own us all, to the PC and Veil of Darkess where she so easy beat every time.

as for how most people reacts I do not really know as I am a casual soloist my self a usually limits my games to those perspectives :)

old mario and sonic games was and is not as casual as many thinks you have to have good reflexs in both but then that is how sidescrolling platform games are :) hard and unforgiving.

What is casual games then all and non as it depends on the player and how they play the game that is how a game can be defined as casual even fear is by some discribted as casual I would by no means think it is :D

Now, if you don't play C.O.D for hours on end and scream fag every two minutes your just a dirty casual.

Actually I'd sooner consider anyone who plays Call of Duty a dirty casual. I call those "bro games", mind-numbingly stupid testosterone-injected garbage for stoned frat boys with backwards hats. I'm not saying everyone who plays COD is a douchebag, just that all douchebags play COD.

wait theres a kim kardashian game i feel sick now

If that fact alone makes you sick, it's a good thing you don't know how much money this "free to play" game has made.

Guest corespore

Hanna Montana has a game too. 

i'm not saying any games are or are not casual, i was only pointing out that some of the games I've played over the years have been refereed to by others as being casual, and that's a problem. It shouldn't matter what kind of a game it is, it should be a thread that ties everyone together instead of yet another reason to divide everyone.  

How does that old saying go? Divide and conquer. 

Just look at what is happening, now gamers are being divided yet again. Here we are facing the fact it has been divided into groups are being set into pro and anti GG supporters. 

Thankfully, most people don't give a rats-ass about this whole GG debacle but it is an attempt to divide.

And back to what matters.... here's an awesome game you guys should check out ---> http://www.disneyme.com/disney-channel/games/hannah-montana/designer-dreams

Trying to rationalize and logically discuss what "once started on 4chan or Reddit" is not a smart move. Anything that mentions one of those two websites, and by anything I mean article, magazine, book, blog, quote, rant, sneeze and even cat meows, should be ignored. There are no human beings on either 4chan or Reddit, hence no "Gamergate".  

To quote Michael, if I had a gun with 3 bullets in it, and I was in a room with a Redditer, Hitler and Bill O'Reilly, I would shoot the Redditer thrice. 

(I apologize for trying to stay on topic)

Reality check: actual gamers don't give a shit about any of this. Most folks who sign off on this are those two-hours-a-week types.

Owning a motorcycle doesn't make you a biker, voting doesn't make you a politician, and finishing Super Mario doesn't make you a gamer. Period.

Having a blog also doesn't make you a journalist.. legal definitions notwithstanding. ;)

I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down.

Also I own two sportbikes, and ride year round. Trying to sell one of 'em, tough this time of year because so many pansies stop riding as soon as the leaves start changing color or the temperature is below 70. :D

Got an old-ass Honda myself. She ain't the fastest one in the bunch, but I try to ride her every day.

Nothing sadder than seeing somebody tow their bike to a rally, brings a tear to the eye...

Guest corespore

There are no 'true' gamers. All there is are people that play vidya games and people that don't.

That is misconception, there are true gamers - if your hobby is gaming you are gamer.

Driving a car is not making you fucking race driver :P

I knew my hobby was a bit out of hand when everyone at work didn't play the elder scrolls yet knew everything about it because i never shut-up about it.

I'm one of those people that will spend time collecting every item there is before i call a game profile complete. I still know where every nuka-cola quantum bottle and mini-nuke is in fallout3. 

There are no 'true' gamers. All there is are people that play vidya games and people that don't.

That is misconception, there are true gamers - if your hobby is gaming you are gamer.

I knew my hobby was a bit out of hand when everyone at work didn't play the elder scrolls yet knew everything about it because i never shut-up about it.

I'm one of those people that will spend time collecting every item there is before i call a game profile complete. I still know where every nuka-cola quantum bottle and mini-nuke is in fallout3. 

wow thats a impressive memory dude. The only games i can completely remember are the 4 original sonics resident evil 0 to 6 and the locations of everything in ocarina of time.

If that car you are driving happens to be a racing car and you drive it on a racing track during a competition you are a race driver. It's a profession and if that is what you earn your money with, you are a race driver. There are no 'true' or 'false' race drivers, either you are one or you are not. If you want to separate between casual gamers and hardcore gamers that's a different story.

But if you like playing video games you're a gamer, doesn't matter what kind of game you like to play, be it casual or not. Remember that the very first games were what elitists nowadays would describe as 'filthy casual shit no true game would ever want to play'. Trying to divide a group in 'true' and 'false' is commonly known as the 'no true scotsman' fallacy.

But Anita et al are being targeted to some degree. Anyway, at least I understand some of the issues better now.

To be honest my take on all this stuff is it seems to deal with several different, but overlapping issues

Trolling and abuse of women (and men) by morons on the internet is nothing new.  It is not confined to gaming - high profile women in politics and the entertainment industry have also been targeted.  Nobody in their right mind thinks this is acceptable behaviour.  It should absolutely be stopped.  However in many cases the abusers are attention seeking individuals who may, or may not also be gamers.  I don't believe being a gamer makes anyone more or less likely to be an abuser, but some abusers also do happen to be gamers.  This should be about getting rid of individuals, not demonising a group.

There is a serious issue about standards in video game journalism, but it isn't about who is sleeping with who, it's about the too cosy relationship between review sites and developers.  The huge disparity in opinions in reviews by professionals and gamers is worrying (I give you the ME3 controversy and Rome 2 Total War as examples) and does indicate a problem in the quality of game reviews.  I would suggest this is more to do with money (i.e. advertising) and access to developers by reviews than sex.

Finally, for me as I suspect for many people on sites like this, games are supposed to be fun, and in no way connected to real life.  I should hardly need to say that there is a difference between the way people treat people in games and the way they treat them in real life!  And if you can't tell the difference between the two, seek help, real fast, because you have more serious problems than your attitude to women (or anyone else for that matter)

If that car you are driving happens to be a racing car and you drive it on a racing track during a competition you are a race driver. It's a profession and if that is what you earn your money with, you are a race driver. There are no 'true' or 'false' race drivers, either you are one or you are not. If you want to separate between casual gamers and hardcore gamers that's a different story.

But if you like playing video games you're a gamer, doesn't matter what kind of game you like to play, be it casual or not. Remember that the very first games were what elitists nowadays would describe as 'filthy casual shit no true game would ever want to play'. Trying to divide a group in 'true' and 'false' is commonly known as the 'no true scotsman' fallacy.

Oh ok so simple fact playing of damn sapper on coffee brake make you fucking gamer. Comparing people invested in their hobby with "casual" is retarded if you ask me. Hobbist spend money on their hobby and they are main target. Investing time and money make you gamer not fucking fact of playing farmvile.

So people are going mad because peach never gets a chance to save mario (actually there is 1 on the DS nd lets not forget she needed no saving in mario bros 2), Ashley from Ressy 4 acts like a scared kid and needs leon to save here (forgetting the fact that she is a kid and he has survived already what can be described as hell on earth with too of the most badass chicks in gaming), Cortana who is naked and in need of saving (shes a computer program why would she need clothing and doesnt have any physical legs) and Anya from the gears of war series who is......... ah neither a damsel in distress or showing off any of her asset apart from her biceps in gears 3. I am sorry but I laugh at some of these characters in the the tropes vs women picture. Also next time anyone goes to do a mission in any of the 3d gta games count how many dudes you mess up in comparasion to the amount of ladies. Tropes-vs-videogames.jpg

Oh ok so simple fact playing of damn sapper on coffee brake make you fucking gamer. Comparing people invested in their hobby with "casual" is retarded if you ask me. Hobbist spend money on their hobby and they are main target. Investing time and money make you gamer not fucking fact of playing farmvile.

My brother dables in a wee bit of socom once a year and plays angry birds while doin his toilet business, does that make him a gamer? No.

You seem to give a lot of fucks, quite literally. lel

A gamer is someone who plays video games. That's it. There are more sub-groups inside that main-group (casual gamers, pro gamers, core gamers etc) but there simply are no 'real' or 'false' gamers. You have a definition of what a gamer is (plays video games) and if you fulfill the prerequisite (playing games) you are a gamer.

The only valid differentiation here is defining sub groups. To fit in those sub groups you have more prerequisites that you need to meet. For example, a hardcore gamer is someone who spends alot of time and money for gaming. If you play video games and spend a lot of time and money on gaming, you are a hardcore gamer. If you don't, you are not. Again, this is a no true scotsman fallacy, look it up if you don't believe me.

Hardcore gamer has absolutely nothing to do with spent a lot of money on a game.

Funny how so many have there own definitions on whats and whats notas if thats the only truth.

Just play games, have fun that's what matters not what others think or it should be they just try brainwash you ;)

Archived