"Feminist" nightmare

nonusnomeni

I clicked play and was ready to be enraged. I was surprised when I found out she isn't a stereotypical Tumblr feminist. She's a normal person with common sense.

Listening to Tumblr to get an idea of feminism is like going to sodahead to get an idea of conservatives - you'll only scrape off bottom of the barrel.

Feminism gets a bad rep because the people speaking out against it judge it based upon the worst of it - like atheists who judge Christianity based on young earth creationists and Christians who judge atheists based on teenage Dawkins wannabes. 

I like this woman. She touched on a very important topic regarding the Fem Frequency cherry picking, which is why I could never really find myself supporting it. Games have become far more inclusive to women, especially in recent years. Are there going to be titty games and action games? Totally... but we're lucky enough to live in a time where we have solid female characters (whether they are good or bad).

However, I don't like the downplaying of sexism in the gaming community itself. There's some pretty vile shit held towards women, and it's something I've noticed in the Skyrim community as well. I don't consider myself a militant feminist, but I am a feminist with common sense that believes in deeds and not words (in other words: I wanted to see a strong female companion, so I partnered up with someone to help make one). Even I have to step back and say that there's been several instances of people wishing to "strangle" me, or slap me, etc. This is just from the Skyrim/mod community. I come from the music industry where I've heard all of that x1000 worse (I've had people write me messages how they wish they could slit my throat and throw my body in a river, and so on), so at this point I mostly roll my eyes and go on with my day or just go "lol k", but for people who aren't used to it I can see how it would bother them. Hell, on a very bad day, seeing messages like that can really get to me.

However, this shit does happen and there does seem to be a huge difference in how people behave towards women vs men in this industry, and a lot of it does get ascribed to "sexism" because nobody is really sure where it should be put. 

Just my 0.02 :) 

Sexism is like racism, its very much alive and wont be going anywhere, anytime soon. The media promotes sexism and racism but you just can't see it and this isnt no conspiracy bullshit, its real, ive read tons of business books, advertising and economics books. The proof is there, people need to get over it causes its not going anywhere. Besides why do women complain? Women with the right mind can control men at a moments notice, thats not sexism thats fact. Dont be mad at how your portrayed be proud and understand the power you have over man.

We need you ladies, remember that.

(Im a black male for reference, neither sexist or racist, I want to adopt two girls FYI)

Loved this video, we gamer girls are cool?  :D, now that is a compliment.

Personally I think that this sexualized thing is a bit exaggerated, I mean, sure, women in TERA or Aion or most fantasy MMORPGs wears sexy, skimpy clothing, probably to appeal to a bigger male audience, but it isn't that bad, try making a cute sexy character in those games and you will have lots of guys trying to help you and give you items for free Hehehe  :P.
No, but really, I think it is an high matter of opinion, and maybe there is no perfect point, what I usually think is: There are many things you don't like that other people like, but it makes sense for you to not want to be connected with those things, However, do not mess with the happines of the other people just because you don't like the same things others do, as long as they are not hurting nobody, there is no reason for you to be an idiot  (No offense intended  :lol:​ ) . This goes for violence in videogames too, I think we, humans are smart enough to separate reality from virtuality.

But well, I have male friends that I love playing with in competitive games, like COD, BF, Nintendo land (hehehe), smash brothers and so many others and I notice a diffrence between how both genres react to the games, there aren't many acute diffrences but it is noticeable. The funny part is that there are many times when I'm the one who gets in a rage for losing, and I hit my friends sometimes, but after those moments, we all laugh on the stupid things we all done (while playing), and on my rage.  ;)

(majuko you stalker, stop foretelling where I am going to post, and post a couple minutes before I do  :@ hehe)

Guest Omega1084

What the fuck is this?
A reasonable feminist!?
What are you doing on the internet? 
You don't exist!

On a more serious note, I actually enjoyed this video.
Cool!

Guest Omega1084

Thankfully this community here is pretty accepting, which a lot of them are. Just the occasional douche you run into on the vast internet that gives the rest of the nicer types a bad rep.

Like with many things, a loud and stupid minority can besmirch the reputation of the innocent majority.

Like feminism.... although.. feminazies seem like they're the majority now.

In tumblr anyway.

I like this woman. She touched on a very important topic regarding the Fem Frequency cherry picking, which is why I could never really find myself supporting it. Games have become far more inclusive to women, especially in recent years. Are there going to be titty games and action games? Totally... but we're lucky enough to live in a time where we have solid female characters (whether they are good or bad).

However, I don't like the downplaying of sexism in the gaming community itself. There's some pretty vile shit held towards women, and it's something I've noticed in the Skyrim community as well. I don't consider myself a militant feminist, but I am a feminist with common sense that believes in deeds and not words (in other words: I wanted to see a strong female companion, so I partnered up with someone to help make one). Even I have to step back and say that there's been several instances of people wishing to "strangle" me, or slap me, etc. This is just from the Skyrim/mod community. I come from the music industry where I've heard all of that x1000 worse (I've had people write me messages how they wish they could slit my throat and throw my body in a river, and so on), so at this point I mostly roll my eyes and go on with my day or just go "lol k", but for people who aren't used to it I can see how it would bother them. Hell, on a very bad day, seeing messages like that can really get to me.

However, this shit does happen and there does seem to be a huge difference in how people behave towards women vs men in this industry, and a lot of it does get ascribed to "sexism" because nobody is really sure where it should be put. 

Just my 0.02 :)

Yeah I agree. I don't think men should have to "lose" anything from their games, just being more inclusive is all that's really needed. They can still have their bikini warriors and other stuff. I'd just like the occasionally deeper and more interesting main female lead characters so I have something fun to play as. That is part of the beauty I found with Skyrim, and I thank my boyfriend for buying it for me. I can make my badass female character and she's all that I wanted in one.

A lot of the problem I tend to run into with a lot of defensive men in gaming is they seem to think we want to take away all their toys and that we should get out of "their hobby". I've been gaming myself since the early 90s and have seen a lot of what games have built up to. I'm just as much a gamer as they are. Maybe not as many females play games but there might be more if they felt they were a little more included.

This could come in the form of as I said, a deeper character, perhaps one that looks like she's there for more than just sexual fantasy. There are a few examples of this already that I mentioned in a previous post, so we're getting there. It doesn't need to be in every game either. And I definitely wouldn't want dumbed down games myself, I like challenging games. :)

It just gets tiresome when I enter a lobby on a game and I get cursed out for daring to play men's games. xD Thankfully it doesn't happen that much but... it's just pretty telling I guess.

Thankfully this community here is pretty accepting, which a lot of them are. Just the occassional douche you run into on the vast internet that gives the rest of the nicer types a bad rep.

Re: gaming in the 90s, same here! Darklands, QfG, King's Quest, Civ1, Supaplex, D&D: WoTES and more (yes, even Battletoads for Sega). My mom was also a big gamer as well, and went to pursue her university degree so she could make video games and work for a place like Sierra. Some people might even recognize the name of the game "Darklands" -- it was the game that TES took inspiration from :) I still play these games, and participate in the fan development community when I can providing voice work. It bothers me that people can come along in the mid 2000s with CoD and claim some sort of "OG status" to talk down to someone based simply on their gender. 

This could come in the form of as I said, a deeper character, perhaps one that looks like she's there for more than just sexual fantasy.

I hate self-plugging, but Chesko and I worked on a mod called "Arissa The Wandering Rogue", with this in mind. We really wanted to build a story with her, and feel like a friend. She's just who she is, with her own agenda, and someone who can hold her own. There's a nice regard system in place that allows her to react accordingly based on your actions and other things, so it adds another element of game play. :)

It's pretty much been all of my free time, especially in the last several months, and I'm quite proud with the type of character she is.

People tend to forget this these days, but there was a time when Feminism was a good thing, when by it's very definition, it stood for gender equality. There was a time that i would gladly and proudly have called myself a Feminist, because i do belive in and want gender equality, and see no logical reason to want anything else.

But i can't call myself a Feminist today, not because my views of the world has changed any, they have not, i belive as strongly in gender equality as ever. No, because the word has been co-opted by a new and toxic movement that has nothing to do with classic Feminism, the so-called "third-wave Feminism", which is a perversion of the origional intend of the movement.

What qualifies as "Feminism" today has nothing to do with gender equality, rather, it is an extremely sexist movement that now aims to place women on a pedastal above men, and enforce clousesminded and often bigoted social norms on people. The Feminists of yesterday said that women have no reason to be ashamed of their sexuality, that they should be as liberated as men are in this regard and celebrate their body and sexuality. The Feminists of today say that not only should women be ashamed of their sexuality and body, but men should be twice as ashamed of theirs.

The Feminists of yesterday said that men and woman should be treated equally, get equal pay, have equal chances at prooving themselves for a job position, but also get equal punishment as men if they break the law, aswell that they can't expect men to pay their bills for them. The Feminists of today say that women should always get preferential treatment in all matters, because they are women.

The Feminist of yesterday said that there is no "enemy" but bigotry itself, that we are all part of the human race and that we are equals, and should all be treated as such. The Feminist of today yells at the top of their lungs that the Y chromosome is just an incomplete X, girl power! Death to the Patriarchy!

This video brought me joy, this is old-school Feminism on display right here, and that i can always get behind! :)

People tend to forget this these days, but there was a time when Feminism was a good thing, when by it's very definition, it stood for gender equality. There was a time that i would gladly and proudly have called myself a Feminist, because i do belive in and want gender equality, and see no logical reason to want anything else.

But i can't call myself a Feminist today, not because my views of the world has changed any, they have not, i belive as strongly in gender equality as ever. No, because the word has been co-opted by a new and toxic movement that has nothing to do with classic Feminism, the so-called "third-wave Feminism", which is a perversion of the origional intend of the movement.

This video brought me joy, this is old-school Feminism on display right here, and that i can always get behind! :)

It's a great video for education and awareness. She didn't' attack anyone, nor stated over-reaction like most feminists do.

While I am a male myself, I would call my self an "old-school feminist" because women can be just as awesome as men. I'm all for gender equality, not entitlement like the perverted views of feminists nowadays.

Archived