Hm, for some reason this doesn't seem to work for me. Everything's installed and updated, and I use LOOT to sort my load order. For information purposes, I'm playing as a male character on an existing save, and I'm also using Nexus Mod Manager to install it. When I load the save and start an animation, nothing happens. No messages or anything. I don't even get the MCM menu. Any suggestions?

Edit: Okay, it seems to be giving me the MCM menu now. However, I don't have any messages and the ones I do have are in a language I don't understand.

MO is not the problem in any way, shape or form. I use MO and have been using it for a long time. Apropos installs fine and works fine with MO. If you're not getting the MCM, first of all.....wait... sometimes MCM takes a few minutes to register. This is true for any mod that has an MCM menu. It may have never happened to you before, but it can...and does...happen.

Try changing cells if waiting doesn't do it. For whatever reason, sometimes changing cells gives MCM registration a "kick in the pants".

Some time ago you tried to solve the capitalization issue with Apropos: https://www.loverslab.com/topic/24777-jcontainers/page-3?do=findComment&comment=688432

And as you know, the underlying issue is the way Skyrim caches Strings: https://github.com/NightQuest/SKSE/blob/master/Data/Scripts/Source/StringUtil.psc

In AproposDescriptionsDb.psc, ReplaceTokens() function you have this:

AproposDescriptionsDb.psc, Function ReplaceTokens

If (tokenValue == "")
    result = result + TrimEnd(beforeToken)
Else
    result = result + beforeToken + tokenValue;
EndIf
Here's what I did:

If (tokenValue == "")
Else
    If StringUtil.GetNthChar(tokenValue, 0) == " "
        String str1 = StringUtil.Substring(tokenValue, 1, 2)
        String str2 = StringUtil.Substring(tokenValue, 3)
        result = result + beforeToken + str1 + str2
    Else
        result = result + beforeToken + tokenValue
    EndIf
EndIf
While String synonym = "pussy" won't work (you'll end up with "Pussy"), you can have " pussy" which works just fine. I renamed the problematic synonyms in synonyms.txt to have a leading white space and then I'll just feed the synonym in two parts into the result String. I guess a symbol like hashtag (#) would work as well, that would also make it more apparent when reviewing the synonym list.

I tried doing result = result + beforeToken + StringUtil.Substring(tokenValue, 1) but that won't work as the SubString will basically resolve to "Pussy". Neither will StringUtil.GetNthChar(tokenValue, 1)+ StringUtil.Substring(tokenValue, 2) work as it seems all single characters get capitalized as well. While not very clean, I don't know if there is any other way around this... I mean, you could rename the synonym keys themselves (and any other String definions that might conflict) but it would only solve the problem partially as Skyrim itself defines some strings as do other mods.

In unrelated matter, have you put any thoughts into these suggestions I posted a while back?

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/28123-apropos/page-141?do=findComment&comment=1257110

This part of the problem: "playing as a male character "

There's limited support - what kinds of scenes are you playing?

Ah, I sorta figured. I've mainly been trying to test it out on creature animations, mainly wolves (Animations like Missionary, Panicnew, Dominate, Doggystyle etc.) I take it that these animations are normally meant for females only, and that's why messages aren't showing?

Ah, I sorta figured. I've mainly been trying to test it out on creature animations, mainly wolves (Animations like Missionary, Panicnew, Dominate, Doggystyle etc.) I take it that these animations are normally meant for females only, and that's why messages aren't showing?

Correct. There is currently no support for Male x Male or Male x Creature in the code nor does Apropos come with any descriptions for those type scenes. What you mainly get is Male PC and Female NPC stuff.

But I've made my own port of Apropos which does support Male masturbation, Male x Male, Male x Male with the player on top, Male x Creature with W&T and all that jazz and there's someone who has already written scenes for most of it. When we've finished up cleaning up the code and descriptions we can release it and hopefully Gooser can incorporate that into Apropos Classic and/or the upcoming Apropos 2.0 or whatever it will be called :)

I've been looking for something like that for a long time now !

Caint wait to try it out.

Idea for a possible update :

Integration of Devious devices whips and canes that leaves more permanent marks when used on a NPC would seem apropriate.

To do that would require some kind of events from Devices. Something like "Actor was whipped". Otherwise there's no way to know. 

Some time ago you tried to solve the capitalization issue with Apropos: https://www.loverslab.com/topic/24777-jcontainers/page-3?do=findComment&comment=688432

And as you know, the underlying issue is the way Skyrim caches Strings: https://github.com/NightQuest/SKSE/blob/master/Data/Scripts/Source/StringUtil.psc

In AproposDescriptionsDb.psc, ReplaceTokens() function you have this:

AproposDescriptionsDb.psc, Function ReplaceTokens

If (tokenValue == "")
Else
    result = result + beforeToken + tokenValue;
EndIf
Here's what I did:

If (tokenValue == "")
Else
    If StringUtil.GetNthChar(tokenValue, 0) == " "
        String str1 = StringUtil.Substring(tokenValue, 1, 2)
        String str2 = StringUtil.Substring(tokenValue, 3)
        result = result + beforeToken + str1 + str2
    Else
        result = result + beforeToken + tokenValue
    EndIf
EndIf
While String synonym = "pussy" won't work (you'll end up with "Pussy"), you can have " pussy" which works just fine. I renamed the problematic synonyms in synonyms.txt to have a leading white space and then I'll just feed the synonym in two parts into the result String. I guess a symbol like hashtag (#) would work as well, that would also make it more apparent when reviewing the synonym list.

I tried doing result = result + beforeToken + StringUtil.Substring(tokenValue, 1) but that won't work as the SubString will basically resolve to "Pussy". Neither will StringUtil.GetNthChar(tokenValue, 1)+ StringUtil.Substring(tokenValue, 2) work as it seems all single characters get capitalized as well. While not very clean, I don't know if there is any other way around this... I mean, you could rename the synonym keys themselves (and any other String definions that might conflict) but it would only solve the problem partially as Skyrim itself defines some strings as do other mods.

In unrelated matter, have you put any thoughts into these suggestions I posted a while back?

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/28123-apropos/page-141?do=findComment&comment=1257110

That's clever. You must be much more of a perfectionist than I am though. I hardly notice the problem and I play a lot. It doesn't seem worth the changes to the file nor the perf hit to slice up the strings even more than they are.

Correct. There is currently no support for Male x Male or Male x Creature in the code nor does Apropos come with any descriptions for those type scenes. What you mainly get is Male PC and Female NPC stuff.

But I've made my own port of Apropos which does support Male masturbation, Male x Male, Male x Male with the player on top, Male x Creature with W&T and all that jazz and there's someone who has already written scenes for most of it. When we've finished up cleaning up the code and descriptions we can release it and hopefully Gooser can incorporate that into Apropos Classic and/or the upcoming Apropos 2.0 or whatever it will be called :)

Apropos 2.0 is a new code base and is based upon a completely different database scheme.

Does anyone know if there has been a compatibility patch between this mod and SexLab Separate Orgasm? It'd be nice to have them work nicely together.

silentDark, as I understand it, this mod just modifies one of the core SL scripts to alter when OrgasmStart and OrgasmEnd are fired? If that is the case, I doubt a patch is required, since Apropos just listens for those.

If you think there is more nuance to this integration, please elaborate of what you think Apropos should do?

Does anyone know if there has been a compatibility patch between this mod and SexLab Separate Orgasm? It'd be nice to have them work nicely together.

silentDark, as I understand it, this mod just modifies one of the core SL scripts to alter when OrgasmStart and OrgasmEnd are fired? If that is the case, I doubt a patch is required, since Apropos just listens for those.

If you think there is more nuance to this integration, please elaborate of what you think Apropos should do?

It actually prevents those two events from being sent and sends it's own instead, allowing each actor to orgasm multiple times throughout a single animation. So,as far as compatibility I'd listen for those, but considering that it completely changes the orgasm mechanic sending message on those events might not clash well with the messages from animation stages.

Oh? Well that's definitely something to look forward to, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got everything to work before. However, I seem to have run into another problem. I decided to uninstall Skyrim and reinstall it back to its vanilla form, and try to go easy on mods this time (Before, my Skyrim was crashing even after installing or uninstalling the simplest mod). However when I tried to reinstall Apropos, it stays grayed out in the Nexus Mod Manager without installing at all. Whenever I right-click on it, the Nexus Mod Manager freezes and refuses to respond. I've even tried going into Skyrim's data folder and deleting the mod from there, but it tells me that I don't have permission to delete some folders despite already giving admin permission.

Is this a problem with the mod itself, or something else?

Well I got everything to work before. However, I seem to have run into another problem. I decided to uninstall Skyrim and reinstall it back to its vanilla form, and try to go easy on mods this time (Before, my Skyrim was crashing even after installing or uninstalling the simplest mod). However when I tried to reinstall Apropos, it stays grayed out in the Nexus Mod Manager without installing at all. Whenever I right-click on it, the Nexus Mod Manager freezes and refuses to respond. I've even tried going into Skyrim's data folder and deleting the mod from there, but it tells me that I don't have permission to delete some folders despite already giving admin permission.

Something else. That's some sort of defect in NMM.

Ah, thanks. I'll have to look into that.

Ah, thanks. I'll have to look into that.

My own experience using NMM to install this mod is that it takes a REALLY LONG time, in the neighborhood of half an hour plus, and on top of that, it can appear as if it has finished when it hasn't (look at both of the tabs at the bottom, one of them may tell you that it is finished but the other will say that it is still sorting or transferring or something - it's been a couple of months and I don't recall the exact wording). It did, eventually, work however.

Hope that helps.

Me again- with Moar Questions! :D

Can you explain the functionality of the preference folders? (bdsm, hardcore, loving, etc...?)

My guess is that the mod looks there for content before looking in other places- so, for example, I have bdsm set to 4, everything else set to 0, should I be migrating relevant aggressive and/or bound description sets into that folder? Would it be any benefit to do so?

trying to install this using MO 1.3.11 causes MO to freeze, say "not responding" and i have to close it and restart. has happened twice now. when it reloads, it says Apropos is installed, but i am not going to trust a suspicious and incomplete install.

any reason it would make Mod Organizer crash? i do have a lot of mods, but not handling more than one at a time in terms of download or install.

trying to install this using MO 1.3.11 causes MO to freeze, say "not responding" and i have to close it and restart. has happened twice now. when it reloads, it says Apropos is installed, but i am not going to trust a suspicious and incomplete install.

any reason it would make Mod Organizer crash? i do have a lot of mods, but not handling more than one at a time in terms of download or install.

Nope. I use MO here as well and it installs, uninstalls, moves around, just fine. I have had the symptom you describe when my archive opening program didn't work right. Because the archive wasn't opened properly, MO had trouble (as would any program expecting a valid archive)

It wasn't an Apropos issue, and it really wasn't an MO issue. Installed 7zip and made it the default for opening archives and haven't had an issue since