Overrated games

Spectre_15

A bit obscure compared to most of the titles mentioned, but I have to throw in Super Meat Boy. I had always heard about this game, and happened to get it in one of the Humble Bundles. I played it for about 15 minutes and just found it stale. I mean the art style has its own little flair, but the gameplay is nothing new or particularly interesting. It was just a generic platformer where you play as some meat, but every neckbeard acts like they should celebrate every time they sense the game is near when all I wanted to do was defecate. I enjoy many platformers myself, but this one didn't really appeal to me at all. I was just glad I got it off the Humble Bundle instead of actually getting it alone.

Witcher 2, good game actually, but the control is kind of awkward, with extreme pauses between using medal and after drawing weapons. Rather short story even if you include both routes. And complete bullshit that there is a "training" section in your upgrade, which put the whole tree to a joke. I mean, he is a master witcher, right? Monsters are also extremely rare and repetitive.

Symphony of the Night, I know this is a classic, but the castle is really damn too big. Difficulties aren't handled well, making Alucard practically invincible in most of the game time.

Fallout 3, my first Fallout game, initially interesting with the post-apocalyptic setting, until I know how they simplify a much greater setting (e.g. super mutant, BoS). Also far too easy. And while it is set in 200 years after the Great War, many things look as if 20 years after.

I'd be here all day so I'll just stick to 5.

Everything Naughty Dog ever made that doesn't have the word Bandicoot in the title.

The whole Bioshock series.

Halo series except for ODST which is ironically underrated.

Resident Evil 4.

MGS 2 & 3.

MGS3 isn't overrated, it is underrated imo

for me:

Assassin's Creed past #2 (even #2 doesn't fit my liking)

CoD (tried MW3, got in the game, game balance for pvp is awful)

Battlefield past 2

Final Fantasy past X (liked X's sphere grid system, but that's all, overdrive kinda horrid imo)

Dead Space series (i don't get why ppl said it is a horror game, i can even fight with no ammo how is that a horror lol)

Dead Space series (i don't get why ppl said it is a horror game, i can even fight with no ammo how is that a horror lol)

The first one started as one. Hell, the engine room and med bay with the regenerator were fucking scary, but it went full classic doom level slaughterfest in the final chapters.

And it didn't help it that the first weapon you get is the only one you need :lol: Actually, never buy or pick up any other guns, and you'll never run out of ammo. Excess ammo packs you can sell to buy Power Nodes with which you use upgrade the RIG, Stasis and plasma cutter. Easy mode ;) But you don't know that on the first playtrough.

Second started out like that, and never slowed down. Third i haven't played.

Any game that has been dumbed down in its respective series and or is the same thing that is over and over, extra credit to games that suffer from consoleitis.

Examples: Call of Duty, Battlefield, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Fallout (beyond 1+2), THIEF.

I also do not like this new generation of games that encourages a good story above gameplay. Why should I play a game if it's going to be the same as watching a movie?

See: Gone Home, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls.

The first one started as one. Hell, the engine room and med bay with the regenerator were fucking scary, but it went full classic doom level slaughterfest in the final chapters.

Yeah, Dead Space head some quite tense moments, especially at the beginning, and most of the stuff was due to the often equsisite sound effects used, the didn't even need to be a Necromorpg around...sadly, as with EVERY horror game or movie, once you activate your brain and understand the "mechanics" its mostly over with horror....Doom 3 with its *yawn* closet-monsters, or the alien-Franchise that doesn't work as good as in the seventies simply because we all know by now what the Giger-Aliens are about...

So if something isn't scary, its not necessarily the game/movie, but maybe YOU that isn't scared as easy anymore ;)

Any game that has been dumbed down in its respective series and or is the same thing that is over and over, extra credit to games that suffer from consoleitis.

Examples: Call of Duty, Battlefield, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Fallout (beyond 1+2), THIEF.

I also do not like this new generation of games that encourages a good story above gameplay. Why should I play a game if it's going to be the same as watching a movie?

See: Gone Home, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls.

I rate story above gameplay. A good story and plot makes me care about my characters, let me dig deep into the setting of the game and raises my instinct to explore the story and drive it in the way I want. For example: Although the game design and gameplay of Dragon Age 2 was miserable but the story pulled it out. Imho, it was one of the best stories ever told since the golden days of Baldur's Gate.

After watching that video, I downloaded Sunder and am playing it on Brutal Doom... and holy shit .____.

DAO. There, I said it.

Do you mean Dragon Age origins ?

Most likely

But Dragon Age origins was a great game , a true bioware classic like Kotor and Jade Empire . ( Unlike the piece of shit that was DA 2 )

Skyrim if not for mods then the game is WAY over rated.

Oblivion even more over rated worse game of series, i never liked it.

Final fantasy 7

Mario all games

World Of Warcraft man that game sucks way over rated.

Many others but to lazy look them up.

Seeing a how some people basically hate every game out there, I wonder why they chose gaming as a hobby to begin with. That said, here are some games I find overrated:

Borderlands: I never been able to find these games as enjoyable as everyone around me does. I feel like I am doing some fetch quests with a bit of dude bro humor that gets stale 5 minutes into the game.

FF7: Fantastic game, but honestly I feel like the story is nowhere near as great as everyone else thinks. In fact the story can be basically be summarized with mommy issues.

Kingdom Hearts: Oh my god this is the most overrated series in my opinion. I never got into it, because I found the gameplay to be dull, but according to all of my friends and social media, it is the best story ever created in a video game. Hell. Fucking. No.

That's like saying because most of the shows on tv suck that you should watch tv even for the few good shows.

All the CoD's after 2, all the Battlefield's after 2142, ME3, all the Final Fantasies after 7 (10 sucked ass, don't kid yourself), every fucking sports game there is (including racing, which isn't a sport, it's an exercise in stupidity), anything for the Wii, Gamecube, or any other of their POS titles that came out after the 64, and, the worst game of them all Find the TV Remote. I hate that game.  It's horrible.  It takes at least an hour to play, and after you finish playing it, you're so pissed off that you no longer have any desire to turn the TV on.

After watching that video, I downloaded Sunder and am playing it on Brutal Doom... and holy shit .____.

I don't think a computer exists that can run The Furnace with Brutal Doom :lol: That level has over 5000 monsters.

Edit: Tested on my system (I5 3570k, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX660 2GB), and i get a lot less than 1 frame per second :lol: And that's 5295 monsters. Initially, as the level includes Pain Elementals and Arch-Viles ;)

Every gamecube exclusive I ever played was a steaming pile of shit.

Well, then you didn't play Metroid Primes or Eternal Darkness :D

I don't think a computer exists that can run The Furnace with Brutal Doom :lol: That level has over 5000 monsters.

Edit: Tested on my system (I5 3570k, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX660 2GB), and i get a lot less than 1 frame per second :lol: And that's 5295 monsters. Initially, as the level includes Pain Elementals and Arch-Viles ;)

I'll let you know if it works, haven't worked much in Sunder atm, been playing other WADs too.

Overrated, both of em.  And Nintendo's gotten even worse with their licensed products since then. Ocarina of Time was the last Zelda game worth playing all the way through.

Guest GuyWhoAbruptlyDisappeared

I play games for the journey and the storyline instead of just the gameplay. Since nobody seems to have touched up much on storylines, I'll go:

Overrated storylines: 
Grand Theft Auto 4+. The games take themselves way too seriously. Lousy storylines. There are literally no believable characters in the series other than Bellic.

Bioshock. It's not very good and the story is kind of total shit.

Tomb Raider. The overly sexualized heroine gives video games a bad name.

Bioshock Infinite DLC. They broke the golden rule.

Skyrim. The original game story is underwhelming as a whole, and is simply there to carry the gameplay.

Skyrim Dragonborn DLC. The story is mildly better than the base game's storyline, but is still underwhelming and cliche. 

Half Life. The story was incomprehensible.

Half Life 2 Episodes 1 & 2. They broke the golden rule and didn't even finish. Rude.

Underrated storylines:

Half Life 2. The first game I ever played that understood the the golden rule of video game storylines - Don't make the player the only protagonist of a first person game.

Bioshock Infinite. A good all-around storyline, understood the golden rule, and took it further - the protagonist was Elizabeth. The story was about Elizabeth.

Skyrim Dawnguard DLC. The storyline is solid, and takes the rare yet brilliant move of making the player a deuteragonist rather than a protagonist. On top of that, the DLC's protagonist, Serana, is excellently acted.

Final Fantasy 7. Blatantly sacreligious or not, for a final fantasy game, 7 was solid, albeit with unnecessary filler. 

Max Payne, Max Payne 3. Being third person, the golden rule does not apply, and doesn't need to. Both games, with more emphasis on the third, had good storylines. 

Minesweeper. I cry every time.

Overrated, both of em.  And Nintendo's gotten even worse with their licensed products since then. Ocarina of Time was the last Zelda game worth playing all the way through.

the fuck did you just say about metroid prime. >:C

the fuck did you just say about metroid prime. >:C

Overrated, clunky, generic shooter.  I remember when the Metroid series was some great platform gaming.  Then they turned it into a shooter.  At least the Sonic series has attempted to retain some of the platform elements.

Overrated, clunky, generic shooter.  I remember when the Metroid series was some great platform gaming.  Then they turned it into a shooter.  At least the Sonic series has attempted to retain some of the platform elements.

Did you actually play it? I ask because you damn it outright just because it wasn't like the old games and I wonder if you're either a stubborn old fogey or just don't like shooters. Besides all the other ways it was very different from any shooter you could call "generic"...

Calling a game out on its bullshit in the face of its popularity is one thing but what I'm seeing here is uninformed disdain.

Archived