Overrated games

Spectre_15

GTA V

Seriously, this is one of those games that was made but at some point some dude said "Hey, we should cut half of content from singleplayer and make online version from it." - and they sucked him dry for this idea and are faping daily to his image, to honor new money god.

Guest endgameaddiction

How about guitar hero?  For me the first couple of games were really fun at parties,  but it takes no skill whatsoever.  Had friends that would go on for days about how awesome they were at the game.  I mean that's great that you can press five or six buttons in sync with some music,  but how about picking up a real guitar.  I don't mean to gloat at all,  but shit ain't that easy and it took me 20 plus years to get halfway decent.  

Consdiering I been playing the electric for over 16 years. Never once did Guitar Hero or Rock Star ever caught my attention. I think that's part of the reason why we see so many local crappy bands these days. Pick up the stupid plastic button guitar and they think they are rockers now...

Guest xthejester

How about guitar hero?  For me the first couple of games were really fun at parties,  but it takes no skill whatsoever.  Had friends that would go on for days about how awesome they were at the game.  I mean that's great that you can press five or six buttons in sync with some music,  but how about picking up a real guitar.  I don't mean to gloat at all,  but shit ain't that easy and it took me 20 plus years to get halfway decent.  

Consdiering I been playing the electric for over 16 years. Never once did Guitar Hero or Rock Star ever caught my attention. I think that's part of the reason why we see so many local crappy bands these days. Pick up the stupid plastic button guitar and they think they are rockers now...

Hey...at least they were inspired to try making music for real. They might suck, but they can get better. And really...what else would they be doing otherwise?

Modern Military Shooters(CoD, BF4 etc)

Most 3rd person shooters.(Gears of War etc)

Final fantasy games.

Zelda games.

Pokemanz.

Bioshocks.

TF2.

Halos.

Ass creeds.

Borderlands.

All of it is the same dribble and highly uninspired cabbage.

So basically just about everything out there save for obscure indie games?

Seeing a how some people basically hate every game out there, I wonder why they chose gaming as a hobby to begin with. That said, here are some games I find overrated:

Borderlands: I never been able to find these games as enjoyable as everyone around me does. I feel like I am doing some fetch quests with a bit of dude bro humor that gets stale 5 minutes into the game.

FF7: Fantastic game, but honestly I feel like the story is nowhere near as great as everyone else thinks. In fact the story can be basically be summarized with mommy issues.

Kingdom Hearts: Oh my god this is the most overrated series in my opinion. I never got into it, because I found the gameplay to be dull, but according to all of my friends and social media, it is the best story ever created in a video game. Hell. Fucking. No.

Seeing a how some people basically hate every game out there, I wonder why they chose gaming as a hobby to begin with.

More like they hate seeing their hobby being dumbed down and casualized.

Games have been getting casualized since the 80s.

-Grand Theft Auto V (GTA is just GTA nothing great here we're on one dinky island that isn't San Andreas just like IV changed everything HD Universe sucks I'll stick with 3D Universe)

HD Universe

GTA IV (Episodes too)

GTA V (GTA Online)

3D Universe

GTA VCS

GTA CTW

GTA LCS

GTA SA
GTA VC
GTA III

-The Elder Scrolls Online (WOW clone nothing new just a $15 monthly scam)

-Dead Space (Not scary, highly generic, obvious jump scares and where enemies would come from *cough* vent *cough* basically RE4 and up in space)

-South Park the Stick of Truth (Only SP fans see anything grand about a highly basic linear short no restriction classes 'RPG')

-DayZ (The mod was awful and standalone is no different just a hacker filled KOS open world deathmatch game with zombies as decor)

-The Elder Scrolls Skyrim (Really could've been better, combat is out dated, spells are too basic, lacks variety in magic, npcs are still too generic and all the same)

-World of Warcraft (guess the COD kiddies have something else to play)

-Call of Duty (the entire franchise sucks copy and pasted generic shooter biggest scam on the market besides they say COD was copied by MOH, but MOH was first and is better)

-Dead Island and Borderlands (both generic shooters/zombie games that are meant only for multiplayer and suck otherwise they both have awful RPG styles and gameplay)

-Rock Band and Guitar Hero (you hit freaking buttons you don't rock you suck it's NOT the same as the real deal you brainless children!!!!)

-The Sims (unrealistic dumbed down 'life simulation' game meant for kindergarteners, seriously the series is crap unless you enjoy the cartoony Disney ugly basic world)

-Titanfall (an overrated overhyped generic COD clone shooter with only 6v6 team gameplay and is being made on Source-SOURCE! There's nothing good about it after E3 and Beta gameplay nope just an overrated title that's exclusive to M$'s cablebox and crapbox 360, then ofc PC)

GTA VC

GTA III

-DayZ (The mod was awful and standalone is no different just a hacker filled KOS open world deathmatch game with zombies as decor)

-The Sims (unrealistic dumbed down 'life simulation' game meant for kindergarteners, seriously the series is crap unless you enjoy the cartoony Disney ugly basic world)

Whaaaaaaaat ?! Come on dude, GTA Vice City & GTA III were great, especially Vice City. It's actually the only GTA I finished because the story was cool and it had funny characters.

TESO will fail for sure, another SWTOR on the path of f2p after grabbing the maximum money from fans. I played the beta and the world & quests just feel too linear. Not even mentionning the fight which is clunky, slow and horrible.

DayZ is in alpha and I guess it will be forever. It could have been great but there's too many issues. Like whole cities empty and you just die of starvation because you couldn't open a can... It's even more annoying after you spent like 1h30 to find your friend and start playing together and just die of starvation because there's no useful loot (food & drinks).

Sims games aren't overrated, it's just about gestion and saving money to create your own house. In terms of graphics it was never looking for realism, I don't know why you come up with the graphics.

GTA VC

GTA III

Whaaaaaaaat ?! Come on dude, GTA Vice City & GTA III were great, especially Vice City. It's actually the only GTA I finished because the story was cool and it had funny characters.

TESO will fail for sure, another SWTOR on the path of f2p after grabbing the maximum money from fans. I played the beta and the world & quests just feel too linear. Not even mentionning the fight which is clunky, slow and horrible.

DayZ is in alpha and I guess it will be forever. It could have been great but there's too many issues. Like whole cities empty and you just die of starvation because you couldn't open a can... It's even more annoying after you spent like 1h30 to find your friend and start playing together and just die of starvation because there's no useful loot (food & drinks).

Sims games aren't overrated, it's just about gestion and saving money to create your own house. In terms of graphics it was never looking for realism, I don't know why you come up with the graphics.

Even Dean Hall said himself that DayZ is a fundamently flawed project, however, upcoming patch does look damn interesting.

DAO. There, I said it.

Oh snap! :P

DAO. There, I said it.

Heretic! Burn the witch!

But yes, i see where you are coming from. Being old-fashioned it gained perhaps too strong reputation. For it's own good too when BioWare didn't continue on the path with DA2 :lol: Which BTW isn't nearly as bad as the internet would have you believe. Because Origins isn't quite as good as the internet would have you believe ;)

DAO. There, I said it.

Heretic! Burn the witch!

But yes, i see where you are coming from. Being old-fashioned it gained perhaps too strong reputation. For it's own good too when BioWare didn't continue on the path with DA2 :lol: Which BTW isn't nearly as bad as the internet would have you believe. Because Origins isn't quite as good as the internet would have you believe ;)

I just love the smell of burning witch in the morning :cool:

If DAO is old-fashioned, then damn, I want more of these overrated games! And yeah, maybe DAO shines more because DA2 is panned so hard (DA" - a very much underrated game!)  and Mass Effect failed so much (a story for another thread)...but even without that DAO is one of the last really good party-based RPG-Games. After that I don't remember anything of that scale coming out again ... another reason why so many people just love DAO, and rightfully so. Thedas is simply a very intriguing fantasy-world, and I really want to experience more of it. I even like it more than the Elder Scrolls world. Ah, and I hope Pillars of Eternity will be even more old-fashioned than DAO was ^^

And that was of course Off-topic, so...hmm...lets see, overrated games. How about a truly controversial choice: Warcraft 3?

WC2 was one of the first games on PC I ever played. It introduced me into fantasy, elves and orcs and stuff. It was first WC2 and then lord of the Rings for me. I played the hell out of this game and its expansion, and the world, only told of mostly in the massive handbook and through the spoken mission-briefings, really intrigued me.

But WC3, though I still played it as well as the expansion for some time, left me pretty much unimpressed storywise. I never liked it that you couldn't bring Arthas to some justice (thank you WoW... :angry: ), and Thrall's exodus made me chuckle more than it made me care (imagining that several hundred/thousand orcs and their families etc could steal enough ships to travel to another continent to wage war their against numerous native armies plus a demonic host...yeah, suspension of disbelief...). At least the Cutscenes were awesome...("What are you doing, my son?" "Succeeding you, father..." - yeah i admit that was pretty cool)

Not a bad game as far as mechanics go, but WC3's approach to the Warcraft world  was simply too messed up for me, with too many sideplots and unsympathetic chars and rather unsatisfying conclusions ... but what can you expect from a strategy game that mostly served to pave the way and create the world today known only as "World of Warcraft"...

I'm probably going to get smacked but the Mortal Kombat series has always been pretty meh to me.  I mean some were ok and the fatalities are cool to see,  but after seeing them once it's like ok that was cool now what.

I guess even though I love fighting games I always put MK last on my list.  Maybe it's because I suck at it and I'm used to forward, down, fowarding the shit outta stuff in most fighting games and in MK I usually win by uppercutting the other guy because of that.  No special or get over heres just a punch to the chin or testicles.

I'm probably going to get smacked but the Mortal Kombat series has always been pretty meh to me.  I mean some were ok and the fatalities are cool to see,  but after seeing them once it's like ok that was cool now what.

I guess even though I love fighting games I always put MK last on my list.  Maybe it's because I suck at it and I'm used to forward, down, fowarding the shit outta stuff in most fighting games and in MK I usually win by uppercutting the other guy because of that.  No special or get over heres just a punch to the chin or testicles.

Did you try the latest release for PS3? It was actually pretty well made, concering everything that needs to be in a fighting game.

Yup and I even purchased it after renting it because so many of my friends had it.  Being able to watch each other play was pretty awesome and I liked the xray stuff,  but it felt the same to me as all the others after a bit.  

I was going to recommend their latest release, Injustice: Gods among us. But alas :P

WC2 was one of the first games on PC I ever played. It introduced me into fantasy, elves and orcs and stuff. It was first WC2 and then lord of the Rings for me. I played the hell out of this game and its expansion, and the world, only told of mostly in the massive handbook and through the spoken mission-briefings, really intrigued me.

But WC3, though I still played it as well as the expansion for some time, left me pretty much unimpressed storywise. I never liked it that you couldn't bring Arthas to some justice (thank you WoW... :angry: ), and Thrall's exodus made me chuckle more than it made me care (imagining that several hundred/thousand orcs and their families etc could steal enough ships to travel to another continent to wage war their against numerous native armies plus a demonic host...yeah, suspension of disbelief...). At least the Cutscenes were awesome...("What are you doing, my son?" "Succeeding you, father..." - yeah i admit that was pretty cool)

Not a bad game as far as mechanics go, but WC3's approach to the Warcraft world  was simply too messed up for me, with too many sideplots and unsympathetic chars and rather unsatisfying conclusions ... but what can you expect from a strategy game that mostly served to pave the way and create the world today known only as "World of Warcraft"...

Warcraft 3 was one of the biggest let downs I've ever played, and for a completely different reason that what you said.  I, for one, loved the story.  I have always wanted a story where the good guys lose, and the villains are victorious.  Correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't played Warcraft 3 in over 3 years, since my computer got wiped, but the final battle is Arthas vs Illidan, right?

Anyway, the reason I felt like War3 was unsatisfying was because I felt like it took a step backwards in gameplay.  Sure, there were now four distinct races, and you werent playing the same exact characters with reskins (excluding magic users) in the game, but the thing that I miss the most was the naval battles.  I loved the ability to make a navy and have to worry about oil too.  A small touch that I hated was that it told you what buildings were required for certain units and buildings.  When I figured out on my own that I needed a barracks to upgrade my Great Hall into a strong hold, and a Lumber Mill, Blacksmith, and Ogre Flesh Mound to upgrade my Stronghold into a Fortress, I felt accomplished.  I spent more time playing 3 than 2, but thats mostly because I played things like the Wintermauls and Tower Defense games, not the actual Warcraft 3 game.

Guest Mogie56

All games ever made by any developer on the planet are nothing but boring pieces of shit no one should ever play, there nothing more then one's and zero's and should be banned from the earth for all time.

here my list

-Minecraft
-Ripoffs of Super Mario 64 from that era
-Bioshock
-Mario kart (specifically 64)
-Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
-Pes/Fifa series
-Yume Nikki
-Slenderman
-Megaman Zero series
-Modern Murica FPS
-Any racing simulator
-Sonic Unleashed
-Sonic Generations
-Sonic CD
-Street Fighters series
-Half Life series
-Any Moba genre Game (League of Legends, Dota 2)

I think i forgetting some games but i don't remember more right now

DAO and overrated... no ; )

Feel yourself slapped with a glove, that's right I challenge you to a duel until one of us drops dead ; )

I'm pretty sure DAO was the last real Bioware game, you know, old Bioware that made good games and not those horrible games like DA2 and ME3.

Which brings me to my first pick: ME3

Everyone kept complaining about the ending (which is abysmal, not going to argue about that) but in my opinion it was simply the elephant in the room, to keep the attention fixated so people wouldn't think about the rest of the game.

- some of the worst controls I've ever seen, like putting 4 different functions on one single button/key (space)

- "Ah yeah it's the beginning of the game and we are REALLY lazy soooo... BAM Deus Ex Machina"

- The whole crap with the child you met for 15 seconds. companions die around you which you actually liked and fought a ton of battles with, but no, that random only child in the galaxy is what haunts your nightmares Oo

- horrible enemy AI. It's miles better in ME2, they somehow made stupid as crap grenade spamming retards, who can even shoot with the hand they're throwing grenades with, not to mention the only headshot aimbot they've got

- Every choice you made in the games before (because "It's all about choices, derp, awesome button!") is pointless, you get a different skin for a character in a scene that plays out the same way it would with the vanilla skinned character, besides a few lines of dialogue and a few numbers change in the Galaxy ready stuff

- they took Mordin out of the game, my favorite character, and put in some imposter dude with the same name, but not the same voice. There are just a few things as immersion breaking as hearing a character with a different voice and as interviews made clear: they never asked the original actor to return, because they were so greedy and used the alpha version voice because they already had a lot of dialog recorded... hate them ; ) 

And if you played both games and didn't notice it: get your ears checked, just a friendly advice.

- dumbed down combat, even in comparison to ME2 Oo

just combine anything and boom happens, I bet that was in development as the "awesome button reloaded" but after DA2 they were too scared to call it that

That's it for ME3 ; )

Sonic games... I don't see the appeal 

Bioshock Infinite... I agree, I missed the atmosphere of the first two games and that was the best part about them, so you were left with a pretty standard game, that had potential with the sky lines, but played it soooooooooooo safe, that it was just a useless gimmick. And I bet they thought the story was so clever, but I personally figured out the major twists after like 2 hours in (granted, I was expecting twists) and the whole infinite parallel universes for whichever decision is possible is something I can't even acknowledge as clever.

Read Dead Redemption is another one, it's a good game, but not a jewel. There's voice acting in there that sounds like crap in comparison to the original RE Oo

The story is meh and you see the ending coming hours in advance. Aside from that it's GTA in the wild west.. big whoop ; ) still fun though.

Dark Souls on PC. Because it's broken out of the box. Every game I play with a controller, I play with my PS2 controller hooked up to an USB adapter and I can't think of any game I had problems with. Along comes Dark Souls, a game ported in what... 2011? There you can't even change your controller settings, so you're stuck with whatever the game "thinks" is good, so my right analog stick to change the view is bound in a way, that I have to push right to tilt the camera down, left to tilt the camera up, up to tilt left and down to tilt right... no thanks. The best thing about the game are those shining knights in white in the Steam Forum... pick a random thread where someone complains that so many things about the game are broken (controls, video settings etc.) - and the devs admitted they failed on every conceivable level btw. - and along comes one of those white knights to declare to the poster "LOL ROFLCopter, you suck dude, the game is too hard for you, admit it!" Oo

I can not wrap my head around that.

Ok I oozed out enough hatred for a day, if you think differently about any game I mentioned above, it's your good right, just remember it was written by someone who actually enjoyed playing FF13 ^^ There are sooooo many things wrong with that game, but I still had fun playing it.

I know this is a controversial choice, but the South Park game is quite overrated.  I love the game, but for $60 it's not worth it.  Its only 10 hours long, and buggy as hell, including game breakers.  On top of that, it wasn't nearly as funny as everyone makes it out to be.  Don't get me wrong, I laughed a lot, but the game never had me in hysterics, and most of the jokes I found funny not because they were funny, but because they were nostalgic.  I wont lie though, the level in Mr Slaves ass was hysterical.

All most all CONSOLE GAMES specially the ones badly ported to PC.

World of Warcraft is most over rated game of all time.(played US beta for 2 months and from launch for 5 months.)

Oh and btw i can't judge about most games becouse i eather don't like the genre or i never played it, so im neutral about those games.

If i don't like a genre i can't judge if its overated or not, its a matter of taste so objectively im neutral.

Same for games ive not played can't judge if i don't know how the game plays im neutral.

This offcorse also apply to my first sentence all console games its more of frustration of badly ported games most consoles ive not played can't judge, so im neutral.

About TESO in a way i can't judge eather not played it. But with my experience over past 15 years with MMO'S and the ELder Scroll series of solo games im not on fence as neutral i think its overrated becouse it uses the name elder scroll but its not realy a elder scroll game its just  RIP OFF of original series and have nothing in commen only names and bit of lore.

Its maybe rather popular only becouse of SKYRIM.

TESO is for me over rated.

Archived