Overrated games

Spectre_15

I play games for the journey and the storyline instead of just the gameplay. Since nobody seems to have touched up much on storylines, I'll go:

Overrated storylines: 

Bioshock. It's not very good and the story is kind of total shit.

Tomb Raider. The overly sexualized heroine gives video games a bad name.

Skyrim. The original game story is underwhelming as a whole, and is simply there to carry the gameplay.

Skyrim Dragonborn DLC. The story is mildly better than the base game's storyline, but is still underwhelming and cliche. 

Half Life. The story was incomprehensible.

Half Life 2 Episodes 1 & 2. They broke the golden rule and didn't even finish. Rude.

Underrated storylines:

Half Life 2. The first game I ever played that understood the the golden rule of video game storylines - Don't make the player the only protagonist of a first person game.

Skyrim Dawnguard DLC. The storyline is solid, and takes the rare yet brilliant move of making the player a deuteragonist rather than a protagonist. On top of that, the DLC's protagonist, Serana, is excellently acted.

Minesweeper. I cry every time.

Well, I play mostly for the same reasons, and I deleted the ones I do not know from playing from your quote...

And I have to disagree a bit...how can Skyrim's storyline be "overrated"? It never was rated any good anyway, not from any source I know of. Whenever you read something about Skyrim its usually like: "Awesome freedom, moddability, a wonderfully crafted game-universe...but the story is meh"...which is true...I play skyrim regularly since release and ... *cough* since today none of my chars played through the main quest...farthest I ever came was the first confrontation with alduin on the mountain...then I usually want to try a new char...its a sickness of my mind... :(

Half-Life? The first one? From a time when Shooters barely had any kind of story at all? Or interaction with chars? Half-Life was a milestone, ahead of its time .. though the damn silent protagonist really needs to be scrapped...

I agree however with Dawnguard...which I actually played through once. Its Serena indeed. Bethesda needs to hire some people that know how to spice up their stories with NPCs that have more interaction with the main char, and their own personality. NPCs one can care about, and so make the whole main story worth playing due to emotions...

Half-Life 2 ... now THAT was quite a mess storywise, and the addons didn't make it any better. This whole combine-stuff, and the resistance, and silent gordon AGAIN. Not even cute alyx made me care much about what was going on...

Well, I guess different people, different tastes :dodgy:  Minsesweeper surely is overrated. Never figuerd out what was so great about it. Or how to play it.

LordJerle: Overrated, clunky, generic shooter.  I remember when the Metroid series was some great platform gaming.  Then they turned it into a shooter.  At least the Sonic series has attempted to retain some of the platform elements.

Oh, sweet times ...Super Metroid on SNES ... my last console...what an awesome game, I played the hell out of it. *sigh* Nostalgia, got to look for an emulator I guess ... :idea:

GTA series.

World of Warcraft (actually still play it but i'm the pvp guy, multi gladiator going strong.)

Final fantasy 8 and upwards (Sorry, nothing came close to the impression 7 gave me)

Halo serie's

Everything related to CoD.

Diablo 3

Heartstone

Minecraft

Dead Space series (i don't get why ppl said it is a horror game, i can even fight with no ammo how is that a horror lol)

The first one started as one. Hell, the engine room and med bay with the regenerator were fucking scary, but it went full classic doom level slaughterfest in the final chapters.

Yeah, Dead Space head some quite tense moments, especially at the beginning, and most of the stuff was due to the often equsisite sound effects used, the didn't even need to be a Necromorpg around...sadly, as with EVERY horror game or movie, once you activate your brain and understand the "mechanics" its mostly over with horror....Doom 3 with its *yawn* closet-monsters, or the alien-Franchise that doesn't work as good as in the seventies simply because we all know by now what the Giger-Aliens are about...

So if something isn't scary, its not necessarily the game/movie, but maybe YOU that isn't scared as easy anymore ;)

hmm i still don't find it scary since the enemy is alien or creatures, unlike games like Fatal Frame where the enemy is literally spirits, but ya i guess the first DS is a lot better than 2 (not sure if ppl considered the third installment as DS, more like Gears of War i think)

Overrated, clunky, generic shooter.  I remember when the Metroid series was some great platform gaming.  Then they turned it into a shooter.  At least the Sonic series has attempted to retain some of the platform elements.

Did you actually play it? I ask because you damn it outright just because it wasn't like the old games and I wonder if you're either a stubborn old fogey or just don't like shooters. Besides all the other ways it was very different from any shooter you could call "generic"...

Calling a game out on its bullshit in the face of its popularity is one thing but what I'm seeing here is uninformed disdain.

Wandering around bad mazes and fighting off waves of enemies isn't a generic shooter archetype?  

Yes, I'm a fan of the old ones and was horribly disappointed by the switch.  

Wandering around bad mazes and fighting off waves of enemies isn't a generic shooter archetype?

Not anymore, no. Now it's walking along a corridor until you get to the next cutscene :lol:

And really, Metroid Prime 1&2 are the best console FPS' i've played. But i never could handle the motion controls of the 3rd properly :shrug:

Metroid Prime 1 & 2 aren't exactly stellar awesome perfect games, of course. What they are, though, are a shining example of the way you should adapt a game series to a new genre. Prime stayed in the spirit of old Metroid games by focusing less on gunplay and more on exploration, relying on puzzles and backtracking to previously locked areas to do so. It also pretty effectively implemented the Morph Ball in ways the 2D games never could, and handled some of the classic power ups very well in a 3D environment. Yet at the same time it embraced the fact that it was a 3D first person shooter - at no point did it feel like it was a cheap imitation of either genre (well, except the multiplayer, but we don't talk about that).

They were solid games that didn't revolutionize anything but stayed true to their roots without failing to remember that it was a different beast than its 2D counterparts.

Now, Metroid Other M. That was garbage, and a prime example of why I support the Silent Protagonist.

But anyway, back to the topic.

Pokemon Generation 1 is overrated. Too many people with nostalgia goggles can't see just how not that good it was. Which isn't to say it was bad but it lacked so much and suffered bizarre balance issues and yet gets so much unconditional love that it boggles my mind. Generation 2 was superior is every measurable way yet it goes ignored in favor of blind fandom.

Archived