Spectre_15

Fable 3

Red Alert 3

Diablo 3

CnC series after EA bought Westwood Studio and butchered it

Final Fantasy X onward

MGSR Revengeance

Assassin Creed (some of it)

Games that require Origin/Uplay to play and have the fucking unneeded always online DRM. We bought it with our hard-earned money, now let we play it whenever or wherever we damn well please!

Fable 3

Red Alert 3

Diablo 3

CnC series after EA bought Westwood Studio and butchered it

Final Fantasy X onward

MGSR Revengeance

Assassin Creed (some of it)

Games that require Origin/Uplay to play and have the fucking unneeded always online DRM. We bought it with our hard-earned money, now let we play it whenever or wherever we damn well please!

And here I thought I was the only one who hated Final Fantasy X.  I wouldnt call XIII overrated, considering that it's unanimously hated by everyone.

Mass Effect. The game starts with a logic hole you can drive galaxies through (humanity's chosen candidate for Spectre is handed the worst gear this side of a stick and rock) and has some truly obnoxious gameplay elements. Mind you, it's still very good game, but it's a 4 star gem and not the 5 star jewel many make it out to be.

Mass Effect. The game starts with a logic hole you can drive galaxies through (humanity's chosen candidate for Spectre is handed the worst gear this side of a stick and rock) and has some truly obnoxious gameplay elements. Mind you, it's still very good game, but it's a 4 star gem and not the 5 star jewel many make it out to be.

That's not a very stable argument. Every game puts the MC in the base aka worst gear in the game, would be rather boring and pointless to start a game with the best shit the universe can get it's hands on.

BTW the best armor in ME is the colossus armor not easy to get and the best weapons are the Spectre level ten weapons that are very expensive and you have to BE a Spectre to get them, but earning them is what makes it fun. If they were just handed to me I'd be bored as hell..

Shooters -- the CoD, Crysis and Battlefield series -- are easy whipping boys because often they're accessible, have more media hype that came with each release and popularity since the creation of Doom. As they gain complexity in terms of graphic realism (and thus their fanbase), so do their hardware requirements, and thus you have a huge PC hardware and peripheral industry devoted to improving one thing: up the frag rate in a gunbattle.

Instead, asides that every shooter is good only when you're on multiplayer (because their single-player missions are often on a rail and don't allow you for much exploration and creative/flexible attempts at accomplishing a mission), I feel that console games are often the most hyped and the most publicized that some of them do get a big writeup in any mainstream newspaper.

Probably the second most overrated game in my opinion: Bioshock Infinite.  All the Bioshock games are boring as fuck, and here's why: there's no penalty for dying.  Sure, Infinite has a bit of a penalty, but its nothing major.  The combat is extremely imbalanced.  The gameplay is horrible.  It tried too hard to be Halo.  The story was horribly paced, and if you put any real thought into it, it has plot holes big enough to drive a semi through and collapses in on itself.  It's fucking horrid.

That's not a very stable argument. Every game puts the MC in the base aka worst gear in the game, would be rather boring and pointless to start a game with the best shit the universe can get it's hands on.

What? Seriously? 

Most games have the decency not to immediately start the player in a full-on "chosen one" role (in many RPGs you start as an absolute nobody), the ones that do don't generally have a fucking government backing that chosen one right from square one (can you even think of another one that has this to the extent ME does?), and have you actually noticed how in ME, said government actually hands that chosen one the best damn spaceship they have?

I'm sorry, nobody who actually thinks this through would defend the game having an equipment curve that makes ancient AD&D Gold Box games pale. Unfortunately, thinking isn't all that popular these days, which is exactly why ME is overrated.

What? Seriously? 

Yes, seriously! I recommend the following wiki.entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief - almost no game or movie works without at least a bit of this...and your nitpicking really is the least problem of the ME-series...

Which brings me back on topic: Surely ME 2 and 3 are among the most overrated games to date. The story takes a speedway right into silly-land, there are more and more Companions than the average GoT-Episode has, many design-decisions are just pretty stupid, only Shepard (Jennifer Hale!!!) and some side-quests and chars are redeeming...until the end of the saga puts an end to every expectations you might have had...in combination way too much that any "suspension of disbelief" could make me enjoy the series after ME1...everything has its limits!

Then...hmm...I vote Dark Souls. Yeah, it is interesting game and the things I critize are actually the reasons it is loved by many but...I don't get the hype. Its tough yeah, frustrating and has such an uninteresting weird way to tell ... well, actually to tell no real story at all, which keeps me unattached to both my char and my surroundings...and my quicksave-spoiled mind sees no reason why I should spend endless hours(after a hard day's work) walking through the same dungeon again and again so the SuperPower-Dragon can one hit me once more...but yeah, I know, that's the point for many, and I am just too weak for the game...

Also Far Cry 3...Game of the Year 2013 really? Its such a snoozefest, stopped playing only after a couple of hours. Maybe the story gets better after that (Vaas, yeah...sooooo cool cause insane and all...not?), but I don't see myself getting back on the isle anytime soon. (Far Cry 4: Bring back mutants and evil cheesy doctors damn it! To hell with "dark realism"...And Open world is...well..not always the best decision for shooters)

Amnesia: Dark Decent: Its difficult for me, because I really, really enjoyed the first couple of hours...until I understood the game's mechanics and barely ever got scared anymore. And the story, which is very captivating at first, loses a lot of its appeal the more you get answers...until the very underclimactic ending...and once you're through, no need to get back (But the Water Monster's first appearance is pure gold!)

Probably the second most overrated game in my opinion: Bioshock Infinite.  All the Bioshock games are boring as fuck, and here's why: there's no penalty for dying.  Sure, Infinite has a bit of a penalty, but its nothing major.  The combat is extremely imbalanced.  The gameplay is horrible.  It tried too hard to be Halo.  The story was horribly paced, and if you put any real thought into it, it has plot holes big enough to drive a semi through and collapses in on itself.  It's fucking horrid.

I luve you.

And most awful of it, is that some people really enjoy it or they convinced them self that they do.

I wouldnt call XIII overrated, considering that it's unanimously hated by everyone.

Yeah, if anything it goes to the under-rated thread

BTW the best armor in ME is the colossus armor not easy to get and the best weapons are the Spectre level ten weapons that are very expensive

The way that game's loot system works makes money pointless; if you don't max out money before the end, you're doing it wrong :P

Amnesia: Dark Decent: Its difficult for me, because I really, really enjoyed the first couple of hours...until I understood the game's mechanics and barely ever got scared anymore.

Yeah, once you figure out the monsters it loses all it's horror. Still, the environments were nicely done.

I would add The Witcher games. I don't like the gameplay nor the main character. The story and how player choices affect it seems more complex than most, but given the first two it's hard for me to appreciate. And the boobs are nice, but i get those easier by modding Bethesda's games :D

DayZ is pretty overrated. Unless they've made major changes, last time I checked in, the game consisted of 10% zombies, 20% player vs player (most of which was being killed by hackers or snipers a mile away before you even see them), and 80% running a marathon stopping occasionally to look for beans. Very boring game and very minimally a zombie survival game.

I have another overrated franchise, and I can already hear the screams of murderous intent against me when I say it... but Half Life.  Fuck Half Life.  It's boring, the controls are horrid to control, and the game is gimmicky, and the story is almost the exact same story as the DOOM games, just with cutscenes.  Admittedly, I havent beaten either of them, or played much into them, but this is what I noticed in the two hours of Half Life that I dragged myself through.

I have another overrated franchise, and I can already hear the screams of murderous intent against me when I say it... but Half Life.  Fuck Half Life.  It's boring, the controls are horrid to control, and the game is gimmicky, and the story is almost the exact same story as the DOOM games, just with cutscenes.  Admittedly, I havent beaten either of them, or played much into them, but this is what I noticed in the two hours of Half Life that I dragged myself through.

I totally agree, the Half-Life games were boring as hell and way overrated.

I'd also throw in:

Borderlands

Sleeping Dogs

and every Assassin's Creed version after #2

I have another overrated franchise, and I can already hear the screams of murderous intent against me when I say it... but Half Life.  

Tend to agree, the actually Half-life games weren't that great . I think it's debateable whether the franchise is overrated though, considering techincally it includes Team Fortress Classic - and I for one can't say I ever found any other PvP online multiplayer quite as much fun.

I also occured to me that argueably, the adventure genre as a whole has been underrated since the mid 90s. Admittedly, some titles from the 00s were so laden with what passes for humor in Germany it's a suprise they even sold any copies anywhere else on the planet - but it's a damn shame that kept things like "Tale of a Hero" from ever even being published in English.

Team Fortress 2 - This one speaks for itself

Mortal Kombat games from PS2 onward- It's repetetive, overdone, they're just churning out the same swill over and over, give or take a shitty minigame that nobody likes. The attempt at an action RPG mode was nice, but could have been done better.

ALL the Tomb Raider games - We never bought them for the incredible story (lol?) We didn't buy them because we love clunky as hell controls, and we certainly didn't buy them because we love slow breast reductions.

Final Fantasy VII - While I definitely agree it had a good story with a crazy unpredictable plot twist, great mechanics, and the materia system was revolutionary and paved the way for the rest of the FF games, I believe some people take their fanaticism way too far. Too many forum fights caused by starry-eyed fanboys have happened over this game.

And most awful of it, is that some people really enjoy it or they convinced them self that they do.

You have a problem with people enjoying things they like?

Your statement kinda pisses me off...

If ramming your head in to wall is enjoyable then by all means enjoy it but don't tell me that it is good for your(my) health.

Sorry but I read/heard to much about how BS:I story script is "fantastic" which it is plain bullshit original scrip was fantastic but it made like in 10% in to game.

People have already said but Bioshock, I could never quite figure out what was it I disliked about the game but the combat is simply boring.

This is a personal preference but most JRPG are grinding stones, Chrono trigger and Persona3/4 are the only ones with redeeming qualities.

Archived