16 hours ago, Seeker999 said:

Yes, it is possible. I've done it for myself.

1. Create a master folder, like Slave_Tattoo_Group. Inside, create the folder structure you need:  Data\textures\actors\character\SlaveTats
  2. Select your first tattoo pack, let's call it 'SlaverSymbols'. SlaverSymbols breaks the tattoos into 3 subfolders in SlaveTats: Symbols01, Symbols02, and Symbols03. For this example, we're going to say you want all of Symbols01, none of Symbols02, and some of Symbols03.
    • Copy Symbols01 and paste it into the SlaveTats folder from Step 1.
    • Make a new folder, Symbols03, in the SlaveTats folder from Step 1. Copy the tattoos you want from SlaverSymbols' Symbols03 into your new Slave_Tattoo_Group...Symbols03 folder.
  3. Now you have to edit the .json file(s) that come with SlaverSymbols. Use Notepad++. If there is one .json for each group, then copy Symbols01.json and Symbols03.json to Slave_Tattoo_Group...SlaveTats. Open SlaveTats\Symbols03.json with Notepad++. Delete the tats you don't want, but make sure you don't delete the tats you copied into your new directory.
    • If there is one .json for all 3 groups, then you have a bigger editing job to do.
    • If you want to make sure you still have a good .json file, you can run it through a checker such as jsonlint (do a search). It'll tell you if you have any errors.
  4. Select another tattoo pack and repeat steps 2 and 3. Eventually your Slave_Tattoo_group might have 10 subfolders and 7 .json files.
  5. Zip Slave_Tattoo_Group to create an archive, and install like any other.

If you're comfortable with .json files, you could make one large Slave_Tattoo_Group.json instead of having 7 individual ones. Don't combine the subfolders though.

You could instead make a lite version of each tattoo pack you want to cull. Follow the steps above except instead of a master Slave_Tattoo_Group you would have 7 lite folders (SlaverSymbols-lite, Pack2-lite, etc.). And you would install the lite archives instead of the original versions.

1. Select your first tattoo pack, if you want most of those tattoos

Thanks for the detailed guide! I can’t say I’m too comfortable with .json stuff (never fiddled with any mod files outside of xEdit), but I’ll try my best.

9 hours ago, Otakuheb said:

I have ECE and don't have Racemenu (just the plugins skee64.dll/ini + nioverride.pex). 
Can I still make it work? Thanks in advance !

If you're on SE, skee64 and nioverride is what you really need. I haven't tried adding ECE to the mix, but you should be able to make it work.

14 hours ago, murfk said:

If you're on SE, skee64 and nioverride is what you really need. I haven't tried adding ECE to the mix, but you should be able to make it work.

Everything works normally except that I can't see anything on my character. Sometimes I get some errors in console like  "no existing object with id .... :/ 

ps: Yeah I use Skyrim Se

Edited by Otakuheb
9 hours ago, Hylysi said:

It would be nice if there was an MCM option to input a hex RGB value for ink and glow, instead of being limited to preset colors.

I think there are technical limitations that prevent that. You can edit the overlays in racemenu if you want, but obviously that doesn't work on NPCs.

3 hours ago, bnub345 said:

I think there are technical limitations that prevent that. You can edit the overlays in racemenu if you want, but obviously that doesn't work on NPCs.

To my knowledge, the only technical limitation is that SkyUI only has a small number of preset colors in its picker. YPS Fashion allows you to enter in custom hair colors that apply not only to the head hair but also the Slavetats overlays used for body hair.

50 minutes ago, chaimhewast said:

To my knowledge, the only technical limitation is that SkyUI only has a small number of preset colors in its picker. YPS Fashion allows you to enter in custom hair colors that apply not only to the head hair but also the Slavetats overlays used for body hair.

You're right. It was my opinion that people weren't comfortable enough with hex color codes or other non-visual ways of mixing primary colors (sliders with no visual feedback, for example) to use that, and MCM's color picker is visual, despite its limitations.

The convenience of a hex color picker in the MCM would solve multiple problems.

• Race menu only lets you use sliders to pick colors, preventing you from getting an exact hex format as well as the time it takes to get those values as close as possible to a desired value.
  • Mods which use SlaveTats to add scripted overlays input their own hex value through scripting, which you then can't replicate through the MCM if you wanted to. This means that if you wanted to change that color temporarily, or use it with other overlays yourself, you must use RaceMenu (which means you will have to deal with the problem in the previous bullet.)

A smaller point is that certain Devious Devices that hide your hands cause hand overlays to appear as floating objects. You would then have to go into race menu to change the transaprency, as there's no way to do so through the MCM without completely removing the overlay (which then loops back into the problems mentioned.)

Is it possible to use normals and speculars with slavetats, or pack those into the DDS files so that slavetats can use them?  I know very little about doing any of this as I just recently started trying to make my own stuff.

I tried searching before asking and didn't find an answer for this, maybe I wasn't wording it correctly.

Edited by pm00
6 hours ago, pm00 said:

Is it possible to use normals and speculars with slavetats, or pack those into the DDS files so that slavetats can use them?  I know very little about doing any of this as I just recently started trying to make my own stuff.

I tried searching before asking and didn't find an answer for this, maybe I wasn't wording it correctly.

When I made the mod originally, I spent quite a lot of effort trying to get normals to work, but it didn't. I haven't really put much effort into that part since. I do have some information that another poster dug up and posted a few months ago, and giving it a try is on my to-do list now, but it might take a while. I'm pretty busy these days.

I'll preface this with the fact that I may be dumb.

I have a problem where when I open this mod in MCM, it says "Warning: This version of slavetats uses version 3 or greater of the Jcontainers API. You do not have Jcontainers installed." I have the latest version of slavetats installed, but the part that confuses me is that I have version 4.2.2 of Jcontainers. So basically I'm wondering why this is happening and if there's a way I can fix it.

Thank you for your time.

7 hours ago, mccolin43 said:

I'll preface this with the fact that I may be dumb.

I have a problem where when I open this mod in MCM, it says "Warning: This version of slavetats uses version 3 or greater of the Jcontainers API. You do not have Jcontainers installed." I have the latest version of slavetats installed, but the part that confuses me is that I have version 4.2.2 of Jcontainers. So basically I'm wondering why this is happening and if there's a way I can fix it.

Thank you for your time.

It's likely that you have JContainers for Skyrim AE but you're using Skyrim SE, or vice versa, or that you have a similar problem with SKSE.

4 hours ago, murfk said:

It's likely that you have JContainers for Skyrim AE but you're using Skyrim SE, or vice versa, or that you have a similar problem with SKSE.

Okay I found the problem. I had JContainers version 4.2.2 which was for SSE version 1.6.353, but I had used the downgrade patcher to go back to SSE version 1.5.97. I downloaded JContainers 4.1.13 which was for the correct version and it worked perfectly. (not sure if any of what I said made sense but whatever)

In short, thank you for pointing that out to me.

20 hours ago, Throwawayname10 said:

Did you ever manage to fix this issue?

COTR uses a different head mesh than vanilla so the textures won't line up exactly. You would need to edit the face tats you wanted and line them up on a COTR head texture in GIMP/Photoshop/etc. 

2 hours ago, bnub345 said:

COTR uses a different head mesh than vanilla so the textures won't line up exactly. You would need to edit the face tats you wanted and line them up on a COTR head texture in GIMP/Photoshop/etc. 

Yes. Much like you need different tats for UNP and CBBE, you need different tats for COTR face.

7 minutes ago, squiffyrogue said:

Hello there! Is there a way to  extend a number of available slots for tats? Or there are only 3 for head for example?

You can change this in the ini settings under SKSE plugins. It's in NiOverride.ini for LE and skee64.ini for SE/AE.