New to X-Rated mods. any advice?

FantaFree

So I'm brand spanking new to these kind of mods. I only just got the hang of downloading regular mods with NMM. Since I've joined this site, I've seen tons of interesting mods I want to try. The only problem is, I have no clue how.

As a newbie, are there any staple mods that are needed for things here to work? or that I should just have? Like how most people can't go without sounds Of Skyrim or SkyUI, That's what I mean.

Also, I'm not sure what body mod to get. To me they all seem somewhat the same, but I'm sure they have distinct features. For example, which one gives smooth skin and good jugs?

Welcome.  SkyUI is a must, almost all mods these days have an MCM menu to configure mods.

To get started on adult mods I recommend starting off by getting and installing the Sexlab framework:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/16623-skyrim-sexlab-sex-animation-framework-v130-updated-1215/

Then get the matchmaker plugin:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/17343-sexlab-matchmaker-rev-6-updated-11102013/

Try a few animations and get used to how the system runs, then you can expand from there and get whatever niche plugins you're interested in.

Main Sexlab forum: http://www.loverslab.com/forum/49-sexlab-framework/

http://www.loverslab.com/forum/51-downloads-sexlab-framework/ You will need sex lab framework for any of the sexlab mods to work you will also need skse http://skse.silverlock.org/ you will have to launch the game through skse to get the sexlab mods and other mods that need it to work. You will also need MCM from the nexus skyui for some.

Bodies it's all depends on what you want there's UNP CBBE UNPB CHSBHC and a bunch more if you plan on using any like UNPB CHSBHC or any that use BBP you will need specific skeletons made for them or you will crash to desktop when you try to start your game.

I never download mods with the NMM that thing is junky when it comes to that I just manually download the mods then drop them into the folder that has the mods then install them that way. Also some of these mods you will not be able to install with NMM you will have to manually install them yourself. Most threads will have the info you need to know on the first page of the thread.

I already have SKSE and SkyUI. And right now I'm testing own FNIS. I've never been able to download it properly before, so I'm being more careful this time around.

I see the Sexlab is simple framework resources and I know what that means, but I use NMM because I suck at installing things manually. Whats a good way to going about putting files in and taking them out carefully?

Wyre bash has worked for me but mod organizer maybe? I have not tried it because wyre bash works really well once you get used to it. Its a little different but most mods you can just drag and drop into its install section and then right click and install them and your done and then you can uninstall them with it to. It also shows conflicts and what is over writing other files. Using wyre bash is basically the only way to get lots of mods working together really as far as I know because you need to bash patch mods that do things to leveled lists and nothing else does that besides wyre bash as far as I know. 

Far as adult mods go I say find female body you like then after that sexlab. Then look at mods here that use sexlab and figure out what you want. There does not seem to be any one single mod yet that is a must have for everyone running sexlab and to much depends on what your personal taste is.

Mod organizer, linked in my sig. A must have. Why?

Have a problem? create a completely blank, troubleshooting profile that loads nothing except what you want to load. Nevermind all the technicals of how it works or all the other reasons why it's better than NMM (clean skyrim data dir anyone?) . . . this IMO is all the reasons you need.

So I'm brand spanking new to these kind of mods. I only just got the hang of downloading regular mods with NMM. Since I've joined this site, I've seen tons of interesting mods I want to try. The only problem is, I have no clue how.

As a newbie, are there any staple mods that are needed for things here to work? or that I should just have? Like how most people can't go without sounds Of Skyrim or SkyUI, That's what I mean.

Also, I'm not sure what body mod to get. To me they all seem somewhat the same, but I'm sure they have distinct features. For example, which one gives smooth skin and good jugs?

I was new to modding with NMM in the beginning and if you go here http://www.youtube.com/user/GophersVids this guy has been a life saver for me. He teaches you how to install mods and enb series to make your games look real. He is just a huge how to guide in skyrim and he show cases a lot of mods you might like.

Are you saying that NMM makes the directory bloat? If I get it, would I need to uninstall everything first?

No, NMM doesn't create bloat, it's just unwieldy. If you want a specific load order for mods, you have to install them in the right order. that can cause problems as you install more and more mods.

Mod Organizer installs mods, without overwriting anything, to it's own directory structure. You then set the load order with a drag n drop interface in the program. When you run the game, MO creates a virtual directory structure, in ram, of the skyrim/data dir and then presents that to skyrim. meanwhile your skyrim dir remains clean. So if some mod isn't working right, you don't have to uninstall several things and reinstall them to get it working right. Just change the order in a list in MO.

IIRC, you do not need to "uninstall everything" as MO tries really hard to convert. If you have a bunch of overwriting mods (like body mesh under textures under muscle texture under animation under skeleton) then you will probably have to reinstall those things. But it's seriously better if you just pull the trigger and start from scratch. Move the existing skyrim/data dir and install the zip's into MO. (The conversion process may have changed tho. read up on it.)

Thanks for the tips on Mod Managers, but I think I'm going to stick with NMM. It's not confusing, and Gopher's vid really helps. It hasn't given me any problems yet anyway. and It can also help sort my manually installed mods.

I used NMM still (MOD organiser looks scary) and I've not had any problems, i do use the BOSS mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D6%26preview%3D&pUp=1) to sort out my load order though and to check for errors

You might also want to check out TES5Edit (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25859/?) since I found my game stability greatly improved after following the cleaning guide for the vanilla skyrim stuff.

While it's not as pretty as some of the bodies available i've stuck with CBBE since it seems to be the most supported of them all so you don't have to worry so much when getting other mods whether they will be compatible

Thanks for the tips on Mod Managers, but I think I'm going to stick with NMM. It's not confusing, and Gopher's vid really helps. It hasn't given me any problems yet anyway. and It can also help sort my manually installed mods.

I used NMM still (MOD organiser looks scary) and I've not had any problems, i do use the BOSS mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D6%26preview%3D&pUp=1) to sort out my load order though and to check for errors

You might also want to check out TES5Edit (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25859/?) since I found my game stability greatly improved after following the cleaning guide for the vanilla skyrim stuff.

While it's not as pretty as some of the bodies available i've stuck with CBBE since it seems to be the most supported of them all so you don't have to worry so much when getting other mods whether they will be compatible

Scary, huh?

See the link to "favorite body replacer" in my sig? It links to a thread that, as far as I know, shows and links to all known body replacers for skyrim. 

One night I got a hair and a couple drinks and decided to go thru that list. Install, check a box, start the game, evaluate... with bbp and HDT for each. Exit the game, uncheck the box, go on to the next mod. . .  with all of my current 60 something mods installed. Took a couple hours to trip thru probably 20 of the meshes in that thread there.

Dude, really . . . dl it, try it. In a couple hours you'll wonder why it was so scary.

Aye scary :)

Eventually i'll summon up the testicular fortitude necessary and give it a go but as everything works at the mo respecting the age old saying of "if its not broke, don't fix it"

Being able to pop mods in and out sounds good feature for testing and when i get into mod creating that sounds like when it'll prove better than NMM

Honestly I never thought NMM was bad... it's pretty simple to use, and even works well on mods not specifically designed for it, adding the .ZIP or .RAR files in and interpreting them very well. I used NMM for a very long time and had few problems. Also, lots of things that people say aren't actually true... for instance, you don't have to necessarily install mods in any certain order, as long as you know what should overwrite what; when installing a mod and it wants to overwrite something, it tells you what mod it's from and gives you the option to say "No, don't overwrite anything from this mod". If you do overwrite something you shouldn't, then uninstalling the overwriting mod puts back the files that were there before. Nifty!

NMM, as I said, served me well for a long time, but when I got into Sexlab modding, well... that's when things started to come off the rails. Not because SexLab mods are poorly written or some craziness, but just that there are so many of them and I wanted to at least try things once, then uninstall them and try other things. Plus, some mods update rather frequently. All this with mods that by and large are pretty script-heavy makes for a very messy Skyrim install, and I had to wipe everything out a few times because I had borked things up. The last time I did this, some people in a mod thread pointed me at Mod Organizer, and yes it did look pretty scary. But at the time, I was pretty fed up with re-building my Skyrim install and was willing to try something new.

People aren't lying... Mod Organizer is worth figuring it out, and it does take a bit of time to figure out. It's so worth it just for the way it keeps everything tidy and allows me to switch between profiles, each of which have different sets of mods installed that I want to try out. When mods update, I can be sure that there are no loose files hanging about from previous versions, so the only potential issue is of course with my savegame, which nothing can fully protect since Skyrim doesn't have a true 'clean save'. Honestly, it's so worth the time and I'm glad people gushed to me about it, enough that I'll gush about it a bit if it helps someone else make the switch and thus make their modding life better. ;)

As for what body type to use, CBBE with Bodyslide is the way to go. I was a diehard UNP fan for a very long time, but eventually made the switch just because I wanted to try out pregnancy mods with armor support. With Bodyslide, you can pretty much make the body you want, even if what you want is UNP, and as long as armor mods are Bodyslide-compatible, they will fit. Conversions have been made for the vanilla armors, including skimpy versions of most of them. It's pretty dang amazing.

yes but wyre bash will tell you what has been overwritten so you know what the problem is I know that mod organizer is useful if you have different type of settups you want to use but for me I just want the ability to quickly unistall a mod or move its install order around easily. If you have mods that mess with leveled lists like any overhall mod will and a second mod that doing the same thing which is fairly common, then you need to run a bash patch or you will have unresolved issues that you may not even notice in game. Not usually game crashing or breaking stuff but still not good. NMM has one thing going for it its extremely simple to use. If you use any overhall mods or conflicting mods it is useless at resolving them and as far as I know the only one that can help is wyre bash. That being said if your not having issues you should stick with what you have you can even install wyre bash just to make a bash patch and not use it to install mods.

Frankly I have found the best thing for me was to use this http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:Guide as a sort of base guide not to the letter I don't use every mod on it not even close and I add some mods that are not on it. Its also really usefull for its guides on cleaning dirty mods, ini settings, graphic card settings, and well most everything but erotic adult mods :P

Yeah I rarely run into problems with NMM. I'll probably branch out into different ones, but I'm pretty set. Gopher's videos are a great start to learning how to install mods cleanly and use things like TESVedit to keep your game running smoothly. This way when you go to install your x-rated mods you can use NMM to install them and uninstall them easily. You want xp32's skeleton mod and schlongs of skyrim as a start with the xpmsplus patch so you can use mods without CTD. You need sexlab framework to run anything and FNIS. I'm sure you know most of this, but just incase you don't. Then you can pretty much pick which ones you want. Some you need other mods which are usually linked to get them to work and then enjoy.

yes but wyre bash will tell you what has been overwritten so you know what the problem is I know that mod organizer is useful if you have different type of settups you want to use but for me I just want the ability to quickly unistall a mod or move its install order around easily. If you have mods that mess with leveled lists like any overhall mod will and a second mod that doing the same thing which is fairly common, then you need to run a bash patch or you will have unresolved issues that you may not even notice in game. Not usually game crashing or breaking stuff but still not good. NMM has one thing going for it its extremely simple to use. If you use any overhall mods or conflicting mods it is useless at resolving them and as far as I know the only one that can help is wyre bash. That being said if your not having issues you should stick with what you have you can even install wyre bash just to make a bash patch and not use it to install mods.

Frankly I have found the best thing for me was to use this http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:Guide as a sort of base guide not to the letter I don't use every mod on it not even close and I add some mods that are not on it. Its also really usefull for its guides on cleaning dirty mods, ini settings, graphic card settings, and well most everything but erotic adult mods :P

MO shows the directory tree that it's created, the mod that takes precedence in the load (it will be hilited if there was competition for that file), and what mods were overwritten by that mod. 

To quickly install a mod, click the install icon on the toolbar, find the archive. Done. 

To change the install order, click and drag the item on the list of mods. Done.

The thing that people are afraid of isn't the program. . . people are afraid they will 1) destroy their install 2) destabilize their install. 

In the HDT thread, there's been MAANNYY cases where people just simply will NOT blow it away and start fresh. Yes, it is a pain in the ass, but when it's all said and done it really only takes a couple hours (minus download time). People will deal with incessant crash to desktop for a week or more -- just be completely unable to play the game -- and then they'll just give up completely . . . when a 2 hr clean install is almost guaranteed to fix the problem along with gods only know how many other little shitsky's.

2ndly, a fragile setup with MO can't happen. If you install something new that conflicts with something old and you forgot or don't want the old thing installed anymore, uncheck the box and it won't load.

Archived