What we have learned from fallout

Eat anything and everything it is good for your health.

Through violence and mechanical know-how I can take everybody's money, and they'll still like me.

Drugs are amazing things: they slow down time, make me stronger, hit harder, move faster, feel less pain. And if I'm willing to shell out a small amount of my violence money, have no consequences.

When you fall unconscious from being attacked by giant scorpions and have a fever dream where I'm wandering through an endless bathroom restaurant; I shouldn't worry as these aren't the last delirious hallucinations in a drug crazed woman's life. They are a sign that I'm going to wake up somewhere naked, in a strange bed, next to a burning town and everything's going to be all right.

Bisexuals are deadlier than straight or gay people.

Sex is a drug, don't worry fixer will take care of that too.

Yeah my knife might look small, but you should ask the fiends over in that vault what happens when you laugh at Chance's knife then tell me to fuck off. Spoiler alert: they're all dead.

Pool cues can be used to fix things you would never expect them too, same with tire irons.

Sometimes the after glow from sex will launch you team rocket style into the atmosphere. So for health reasons, you should never fuck outside (even if it is the first of may and jonathan coulton said it was cool).

If you set a sword on fire and give it a biblical name, it is WAY more deadly (also twice as cool!).

After killing every member of Caesars legion within 20 miles (that didn't take shelter on the strip) and publicly raping his second in command to death while his mortally injured comrades watched in the center of his main camp across the river; Caesar  will still invite me over for, I don't know brunch or something, and promptly be a dick to me. He obviously did not think that one through. (I'm not sure exactly what I learned here except that military tacticians are stupid?)

Hearts suck and you should get rid of yours as soon as possible.

You can be a drugged crazed, gluttonous, psychopathic, literally heartless, sleep walking arsonist battle rapist and the average citizen will still view you as a saint or possibly the one true hope for humanity (I guess its all in who you kill, rape, and set on fire...preferably not in that order).

Yeah there are quite a few funny things about fallout nv. If you want to have some fun with the team rocket style into the atmosphere kind of fun get a fat boy and preferably some ammo to go with it and some essential followers next go out in the open somewhere turn TGM on and point it all your followers and shoot one at them. Keep aiming at a follower and wait till one of them starts to try to get up and plant another one at their feet if you timed it right they will fall down and then blast off you might need binoculars or a sniper rifle to try to watch them flying away. In skyrim you if launch someone into the atmosphere when they reenter in when they fall back down their ass will actually be smoking and leaving a trail of smoke like they were a meteorite.  

Guest endgameaddiction

I've learned never to play the whole game over cumbered ever again like my very first vanilla play through. lol It sounds so stupid I know, but I laugh about it every time I think of that time.

I've learned never to play the whole game over cumbered ever again like my very first vanilla play through. lol It sounds so stupid I know, but I laugh about it every time I think of that time.

LOL, yeah but I can sell these paper weight and coffee mugs to buy a couple of bullets :)

I've learned that you may still welcome people and ask them for their help after bombarding them to death with heavy artillery.

I've learned that after having survived their bombardment, one might be willing to help his attackers in anyway he can.

I wonder what kind of a person can think of this kind of bullshit...

• 1 month later...

Like TES, in the end, nothing you do matters.

The pigs are never around when you need them.

Pappy still tells you to f-off after saving the town with no loss of life.

You don't make the world a better/safer place as all areas cleared will respawn.

Like Skyrim, Beth developers have a hard-on for the Goat of Mendes.

Only shows how pathetic Bethesda games are. Reminds me of Skyrim, you save the world and all you get in return is "hands to yourself, sneak thief!".  :dodgy:

Yeah...would be much better if you could rush through the main-quest and afterwards grab and take everything you want because DRAGONBORN! Personally I even would love my character to take the damn throne and sit on it the whole day instead of playing the game! She then would only send out errant knights and stuff to do the rest of the quests for her while she sips some wine! Awesome!!

Seriously, give Bethesda a break here. If the friggin' Messiah would enter my home tomorrow and grab everything he wants I'd tell him off as well. Saving the world doesn't make you immune to the law! Stannis Baratheon has spoken!

As far as Fallout in general goes though...hmm...i learned that if you place a lot of dynamite under an outhouse it might lead to interesting and very logical consequences...

Only shows how pathetic Bethesda games are. Reminds me of Skyrim, you save the world and all you get in return is "hands to yourself, sneak thief!".  :dodgy:

In Skyrim they attempted to partially solve that, I mean, not comments like that but... if you help someone you can take some low value things from them and their property.

But I don't like that solution... a Messiah that comes in my house and takes my nuka colas without asking, still deserves to be beheaded... :D

What I've learnt from Fallout... I'll do my best to workaround those kinds of weird NPC behaviours :-O

Yeah...would be much better if you could rush through the main-quest and afterwards grab and take everything you want because DRAGONBORN!

It's not what I meant, but they could give the hero free drink in taverns and could be more respectful while addressing him.

Seriously, give Bethesda a break here. If the friggin' Messiah would enter my home tomorrow and grab everything he wants I'd tell him off as well.

You save their world from destruction, yet they attack you just because you accidentally killed a chicken. Yeah, give Bethesda a break so they can come up with more of this shit.

In Fallout, the capitalists (aka government of the USA) destroys the world, for oil, not only that, they also run multiple experiments on their own people. Surprisingly, or perhaps not surprisingly, some players still express their sympathy to the remnants of this government, whether it's the Enclave or the NCR. Well, the NCR isn't technically a remnant of the government, but it's more or less the same deal. I suppose this is one of the more important things to learn from this game, it gives you an idea about the kind of people you share the world with. Perhaps we all deserve to be destroyed in a nuclear war.  :dodgy:

While I get what you mean, Beth regularly manages to snatch 100+ hours of my life per game. I think I've said it somewhere before, but the longer you play a game, the more you notice where it falls short. Sometimes sooner and sometimes later. Why is it for instance that you can carry 400 punds of gear? Where is it, when you are naked or only wearing some raggidy outfit? I get that it's more fun to actually carry stuff around instead of going back and forth all the time, if you are a hoarder, but come on. :D

It's all about suspension of disbelief. They can "fool" you for quite some time and I think that doesn't make their games any worse. Instead of letting you play in "sandbox"-mode like in Skyrim, they could take the Fallout 3 (without Broken Steel) or FNV route and just let the game end. 

If it were for me, I'd be okay with them ditching their main stories entirely and just go for an open-world-sandbox game, with more thought put into branching quest-lines, more realistic AI, freeform content and reactivity, rather than hiring "A-list" celebrities who phone in their performances and hog a lot of the budget.

Edit: Ninja'd; I'm referring to a previous post made, but I'm too lazy to actually quote that... :cool:

Why is it for instance that you can carry 400 punds of gear? Where is it, when you are naked or only wearing some raggidy outfit? I get that it's more fun to actually carry stuff around instead of going back and forth all the time, if you are a hoarder, but come on. :D

This, I'm afraid, one of the things that plague most RPGs. Hoarding things is inevitable in most of these games and there are many many valid reasons for it. First of all, you are one guy who fight many foes, so you need more stuff, also you may want to spare some items for companions. There's often a lack of ways to make money other than looting/selling, your success in the game is often tied to the quality of the equipment you have etc. In short, it's a design flaw IMO. To make things more realistic however, they could introduce a slot based inventory system where you can only carry the items placed in empty slots and also some sort of a carriage (a cart, a mule etc) to store your loot etc.

A major problem with almost every cRPG is that, they place you in the game as a hero, who's supposed to save the world. Fallout, Skyrim, The Witcher, Dragon Age etc. It doesn't matter how you start the game, you are still expected to play as the hero and save the world and everything revolves around you. That approach really puts me off. What I want is a sandbox game with a world that lives and evolves on its own, but also allows you to shape it in certain ways if you want to. I don't know if any of you have played it but Mount & Blade series, despite the lack of some cRPG features, is the only thing that comes close to that. There was even a mod which allows you to become an ordinary soldier in one lord's army (equipped with only the standard soldier gear of that faction), or to become an ordinary bandit by joining a group of bandits. There's nothing to force you to follow a quest/story line as there's none, you just do what you want. That's how a sandbox game should be. I've always thought a mixture of Mount & Blade and Skyrim would make a great game.