What we have learned from fallout

I don't think it's necessarily bad, that games have extensive loot systems. It should be balanced though, which I think we can agree, is not the case for most Beth games.

But making something more realistic doesn't necessarily mean it's more fun. If they'd be able to strike a balance between large amounts of loot and making managing your resources more fun and engaging, I'd be happy with that. As an example, State of Decay goes for inventory slots (not volumetric though) and carry weight, which forces you to make interesting decisions what to take with you, instead of just shoving it up your ass and be done with it. Granted it's a survival game, which Fallout or TES are not. 

Actually I was thinking of M&B as well when I was typing my last post. I've only really discovered it recently for myself and I absolutely love it. It is by no means perfect and can be very "grindy" at times, but once you get into it, there are tons of things to do and no overbearing story arc that prevents you from doing x or y in any particular order or at all. I love to be able to play that game forever as a highwayman or trader. Or you can take over the whole world without anything forcing you to do so, which makes it really great imo and suddenly the same game has a completely different feel to it. I really wish there were more games like M&B, like for instance a post-apocalyptic take on that weird kind of RPG/Strategy/Life-Sim/Base-Building/Management crossover genre. :D

In Fallout, the capitalists (aka government of the USA) destroys the world, for oil, not only that, they also run multiple experiments on their own people. Surprisingly, or perhaps not surprisingly, some players still express their sympathy to the remnants of this government, whether it's the Enclave or the NCR. Well, the NCR isn't technically a remnant of the government, but it's more or less the same deal. I suppose this is one of the more important things to learn from this game, it gives you an idea about the kind of people you share the world with. Perhaps we all deserve to be destroyed in a nuclear war.  :dodgy:

Pft, I ignore your previous post and happily assault this one, way more fun! Capitalists destroyed the Fallout World? Seriously?????? Did you even PLAY Fallout 3 to the very end? Did you NOT listen to what Liberty Prime said? Did you not learn anything from this metallic god of truth? It wasn't America's fault those damn chinese used all the oil for their idiotic communist experiment! Instead of realizing that the glory of the western world needed these ressources much more to enhance humanity, they declared war on America! Yellow scheeming bastards...

But damn, these reds payed dearly for their stupidity, and it sure was worth burning the world! Democracy or Death! Liberty Prime taught me everything I need to know, not only about the world of Fallout, but that OUR world also needs giant battle robots with lasers and mini-nukes ASAP to eradicate the enemies of freedom, democracy and Nuka...ah Coca Cola Zero!!!!

Liberty Prime, best character of Fallut 3! Liberty Prime, activated!

And, totally unrelated to Fallout yet a perfect addition to my previous anti-communist rant:

(If you find any irony here please send me a PM :angel: ... though I have to admit I'd always choose (social)capitalism in favor of the currently available alternatives :cool: )

Edit: 100 Posts! Yeah to me!

I find the whole "capitalism + government" led to the destruction of the world (oft touted by people who decry the NCR as wrong on every level) to be unconvincing. What destroyed the Fallout world was a mixture of resource depletion (spend some time reading the logs in Fallout 2's "Sierra Army Depot" to get a feel for it) and paranoia. To me, it was very much like the Cold War, except in this universe it actually happened. Whether the system was capitalist, communist, anarcho-syndicalist or social libertarian had little to do with it.

The trick of rebuilding civilization would be replicating the old world traditions traditions, technologies and ethos that worked, whilst avoiding those that didn't. Sure, a world without capitalism would be better, but to be perfectly honest, not one of the "Factions" in Fallout gives you any alternative whatsoever. That the Legion comes closest whilst also representing the worst in humanity is a perfect example of why they were such a wasted faction. 

In Fallout, the capitalists (aka government of the USA) destroys the world, for oil, not only that, they also run multiple experiments on their own people. Surprisingly, or perhaps not surprisingly, some players still express their sympathy to the remnants of this government, whether it's the Enclave or the NCR. Well, the NCR isn't technically a remnant of the government, but it's more or less the same deal. I suppose this is one of the more important things to learn from this game, it gives you an idea about the kind of people you share the world with. Perhaps we all deserve to be destroyed in a nuclear war.  :dodgy:

Pft, I ignore your previous post and happily assault this one, way more fun! Capitalists destroyed the Fallout World? Seriously?????? Did you even PLAY Fallout 3 to the very end? Did you NOT listen to what Liberty Prime said? Did you not learn anything from this metallic god of truth? It wasn't America's fault those damn chinese used all the oil for their idiotic communist experiment! Instead of realizing that the glory of the western world needed these ressources much more to enhance humanity, they declared war on America! Yellow scheeming bastards...

Is this supposed to be some kind of a joke? If it isn't then you obviously have no idea about the original game and its sequel or you didn't bothered to read the stuff written in your pipboy. (And no I haven't played Fallout 3 and I don't think I ever will, I'll actually pretend that it doesn't exist.)

Not sure if these differ in anyway from the story the original game and the sequel told but it's still worth a read in case you didn't know.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_13:_A_GURPS_Post-Nuclear_Adventure_timeline

PS. Yes, both of these slightly differ in certain ways, or at least they don't mention certain events.

Actually, today's China is no less capitalist than the US, perhaps less imperialist (yet) and more oppressive. Doesn't actually matter what ISM it was, it's basically greed, to me capitalism + imperialism represent it well enough.

This is what I have learned.

You can be the most rotten to the bone, sadist evil person. Kill everything in sight and so on. But there will always be some that is moar ewul :(

You can completely stop the time. Everything revolves around me. Disabling nukes are child's play. If have short hair, or maybe even bald, you can still get an haircut and get long hair.

The Naughty Nightwear is some serious business. As an adult (or early teenager) you must posses certain speech skills to even be successful to convince a child to go outside :blink:

Is this supposed to be some kind of a joke?

Well...hmm....let me consider and weigh my words careful here *squirm*... a "joke" it could be, yes, maybe indeed a "joke", though of course only in part because its rather you know or may not know but its not really a "joke" as in "joke", but well, to just make it short: MOSTLY it was a joke! <_<:dodgy:

After these rather awkward words: I learned from Fallout that it is pretty hard to please all fans when trying to make changes to an established game-series, but Bethesda did very well in keeping the spirit and general feeling (and humour....^^) of the world intact. In fact I think they made an even better job at times to create a both ridiculous and tragic atmosphere...though all sexual content was sacrificed for mainstream, but that's why we came here and many got "creative", so that's actualyl a plus again... :blink:

Uh, and I also learned how to make a deadly dart-gun from a simple toy-car, some surgical tubings and a paint-gun! All I need now is some radscorpion's glands...hmmm, radiated animals, how to do it?...well, its 2014, plutonium should be available in every corner drugstore and no longer hard to come by! (movie-reference: name the movie, win a cookie!) :idea:

By looking at, what looks like an portable very old PC on your left arm, you can check all kinds of useful stuff, regarding your body/clothes/armors/weapons/foods/drugs/medicine and even tasks. Also a map of the wasteland. Who knows, maybe one day you broke your arm, or your legs without even know it, but don't worry. Your computer will keep tabs on it for you.

Certain books and magazines goes *poff* (as in disappear) when you read them.

Certain books and magazines goes *poff* (as in disappear) when you read them.

Nou nou, they don't disappear, they're "Ingestibles", so probably you just eat them. This is what I call "a voracious reader"

Well, drinking/eating radioactive water/food can save your life. So I do see the potential with the books.

We Garry later okay?