Creation kit release announced

I'm wondering what their policy regarding adult content will be.

Whatever the policy may be, they also made it clear they don't intend to use steam workshop to solely take over the modding scene. They say everyone will still be able to get mods from where ever and now just have an official route available.

I know a lot of people hate Nexus but they are a good buffer for this situation. After all, if Nexus wasn't around, they could easily make things restrictive and having the reasoning that they want to make it harder for adult modders to independently make mods. With the main focus of the normal modding community being at Nexus, it protects everyone else, they wouldn't dare try to implement something that kills modding outside of Steam Workshop with the majority of their PC base actively using the one site for mods.

If Steam workshop ever became mandatory for getting / activating mods, adult modding would become more difficult imo. Which is not to say someone wouldn't come up with ways to circumvent some kind of restriction, but adult modders don't need more hoops to jump through.

As long as it's not mandatory, which would be idiotic, it's only a good thing to have more channels to get mods from.

It won't stop people using the nexus, the official BioWare projects page never affected dragonagenexus much, though not a lot of people use it.

But who knows? Maybe it'll make the nexus staff less freaking uptight if people have another widely known mod downloader to use (planetelderscrolls doesn't count, it's terrible to use!).

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/news/article.php?id=37

A change of tone from the Nexus. Their obviously worried. They immediately brought up their risque mods - lol' date=' I find that funny since they ban so many "risque" modders. Anyways, this is a long almost defensive post. Next two months is gonna be interesting me thinks.

[/quote']

I will laugh hard if they feel the need to retool themselves to be more adult oriented, instead of being puritan judges and keeping estrus and CLS around as popular but dirty little secrets.

I think the updates, are needed to a point, but I assume they are also incremental Protection control oriented.

Still if they continue support better for this version than previous versions I suppose this could be a good thing.

I think I will wait some time before trying any major modding, as I fear that there own exploits in the past few weeks, point's out that they are more concerned with DRM than game play.

Perhaps in a few months things will stabilize. Right now I have a hard time wanting to mod a game with big brother looking over my shoulder as it were.

I am more worried for them that tightening there DRM will, and possibly has caused many normally Honest gamers to turn towards alternative means. Actually losing sales for them instead of gaining.

But I imagine they have consultants that have informed them that this was the right thing to do, and they understand that this will treat all gamers as thief's before the fact.

I am glad at least they are releasing Official responses, which is something Beth has always been slack about doing. We just have to wait and see where this is going.

We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you’ll have free user content with the push of a button. The Creation Kit will bundle your mod and upload it to the Workshop, where everyone can browse, rate, and flag mods for download. You’ll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone. Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed. Everyone here is really excited about the opportunities and possibilities this opens up for our entire community.

Just so long as they don't tie you to Steam. Just imagine if the only CK created mods that you can use are those stored (and vetted) by BethSteam in their cloud and downloaded when you start up your Steam controlled Skyrim.

I'll say again, I'm not a Steam hater, if they offer a service it's a nice choice to have, but I remember what my old Granny used to say:

"If ever a friend becomes your foe, your secrets all the world will know, so don't ever get involved in cloud based systems boyo. I mean, "we'll keep your savefiles". Not some of mine boyo, and as for me mods...."

she did rattle on a bit, my old Gran. But she may have had a point.

We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you’ll have free user content with the push of a button. The Creation Kit will bundle your mod and upload it to the Workshop, where everyone can browse, rate, and flag mods for download. You’ll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone. Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed. Everyone here is really excited about the opportunities and possibilities this opens up for our entire community.

Not if the mods that you make with the CK are only available via BethSteam. If this is a choice then that might be a genuine service for vanilla or even "riskay" mods.

If it is not a choice then....do you seriously think that they aren't trying very hard to stamp you (us) out?

Ugh... with the Creation Kit I want to create mods and not getting annoyed by yet more steam junk. No doubt this "feature" is also responsible for the further waiting time and possible more delays for the CS. I really hope they at least implement it in a unobtrusive way.

And January.. thats a long time to go :(

BTW:

You’ll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone.
Yay, finally, that was really much needed... always missed being able to download mods for a PC game from my phone.

Edit: Just read from the Devs that you will have to have Steam running to use the CK. Well I'm not installing Steam for it (I bought Skyrim, but I'm using it without Steam). So either there will be a crack for it too (which seems likely) or I will drop my modding plans.

I think they're just trying to make getting mods and installing them...easier.

I had to spend a good two hours helping a friend learn how to mod Oblivion up to a good level. It was pretty brutal.

They will make it easier to install mods. The mods that they approve of. How many of your friend's mods would that permanently exclude?

Yes. It's a bit of a labyrinth installing the crop of the existing Oblivion jungle. But there exists an enthusiastic community who are willing to give friendly if occasionally chaotic advice. There will be no such growth if BethSteam introduces a plantation only policy.

I now suspect that rather than importing Oblivion stuff to Skyrim, we will see an import of the best elements of Skyrim back into the magical realm of free for all, well modded and moddable, Oblivion and sadly for Bethesda, Skyrim will wither on the branch. a glorious might-have-been.

We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop' date=' you’ll have free user content with the push of a button. [b']The Creation Kit will bundle your mod and upload it to the Workshop, where everyone can browse, rate, and flag mods for download.[/b] You’ll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone. Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed. Everyone here is really excited about the opportunities and possibilities this opens up for our entire community.

Not if the mods that you make with the CK are only available via BethSteam. If this is a choice then that might be a genuine service for vanilla or even "riskay" mods.

If it is not a choice then....do you seriously think that they aren't trying very hard to stamp you (us) out?

They said very clearly you can either use SteamWorks (NOT Controlled by Beth), OR upload to anywhere else like usual. No need to go all tinfoil hat on us.

they are more concerned with DRM than game play

It is sadly telling, if you followed the development of the SKSE that the initial "stealth patch" changed absolutely nothing (these boys cracked the .exe) except change the encryption to force Steam activation.

January, huh? Someone on this forum from another topic nailed it on the head then. This delay may have stemmed from keeping Skyrim as vanilla as possible until after Christmas, because they don't want the nude modding scene generating any bad publicity to compromise Skyrim's sales.

Once the holiday is over, Bethesda can release the kit and have no worries, since by then they're just collecting sales crumbs anyways. By then, everyone who has wanted Skyrim will have purchased it, so bad publicity is largely irrelevant. Due to Skyrim's larger advertising campaign, they put themselves more at risk for bad publicity, so it's understandable why they're defensive about their content. The irony is, at the present time, there are nude mods anyways, but at least the lack of a creation kit minimizes these mods capabilities. For Bethesda, that is a victory as they continue milking the game in the fashion they intended the game to be played in.

January' date=' huh? Someone on this forum from another topic nailed it on the head then. This delay may have stemmed from keeping Skyrim as vanilla as possible until after Christmas, because they don't want the nude modding scene generating any bad publicity to compromise Skyrim's sales.

Once the holiday is over, Bethesda can release the kit and have no worries, since by then they're just collecting sales crumbs anyways. By then, everyone who has wanted Skyrim will have purchased it, so bad publicity is largely irrelevant. Due to Skyrim's larger advertising campaign, they put themselves more at risk for bad publicity, so it's understandable why they're defensive about their content. The irony is, at the present time, there are nude mods anyways, but at least the lack of a creation kit minimizes these mods capabilities. For Bethesda, that is a victory as they continue milking the game in the fashion they intended the game to be played in.

[/quote']

A nude mod is just a mesh replacer, you don't need the CK for this at all.

That being said, I don't really understand the reasoning behind this. It's not like Bethesda will benefit from you running steam when you are working with the CK.

It's not like Bethesda will benefit from you running steam when you are working with the CK.

Unless they benefit from a "keep it clean" campaign.

I know what you mean, but I don't think Bethesda can do anything like that. Observing everyone who is playing around with the CK? Unlikely. You would need many people working around the clock checking the incoming data.

I doubt they would even want to do that. But as I said, I can't really make out a reason why they would be doing that. DRM for a free-to-use tool? Nah. The only thing that I can think of is the automatic update function or providing an easy way to upload and share your work via steam (if you want that). But that would be indeed customer friendly behaviour and that's hard to believe.