Creation kit release announced

January eh? I wonder if they decided on that date before the disastrous 1.2 patch. If so, my 'no earlier than FEB' prediction may still come true.

(Sigh). I've been involved with software projects like this myself. When some moronic sales or senior person sets a date in stone (and how much stonier could they get than with the 11/11/11 publicity stunt?) it always ends badly with the software thrown out of the door on the appointed day and then mad scrambling to fix it after the fact. I always worked on the rule of thumb that if you get could a weeks delay on release, you could save at least a month of panicked emergency bug fixes.

No Microsoft conspiracy or desire to avoid nude textures, there simply was no CS to release because it's not ready for consumer release.

January still seems very ambitious to me, especially after the 1.2 farce.

I think it is still too early to panic or rejoice (depending on how you interpret the steam tie-in announcement) as really not enough info is known on how it will be tie-ed in and what that tie-in will do.

The auto-update feature of steam, could however be a severe blow, if as others have mentioned, there are dependency mods that aren't hosted through steam (as the mod community grows there is just no way they can control this as there will simply be too many mods to police in my opinion). Said scenario will cause CTD as masters are either missing or the wrong version, save games won't work correctly and the list goes on.

I have filed a complaint with Steam over their "turning back on" the auto update for a game when I "turned it off" and how it screws up my save game. Of course it has now been 2 days since I filed the complaint and I don't expect a response for perhaps several weeks if they even bother to respond at all. :(

This is my major concern with the steam tie-in as it is already a problem with the vanilla game it could become that much worse with mods (stop and think of the many mods that require a new game to be started with each major update they do!). Thus your save game could be rendered unusable at the drop of a hat with no real recourse unless you keep steam offline....hardly a good solution. :(

OK guys, no need to panic. If you read the post by bethesda carefully, it just says that they'll have their own mod shop up on Steam, and the CK will have a feature to up mods directly. Of course since it's Bethesda's they can't accept adult mods - or they face a real sh*t storm.

Modding and 3rd party mod sites can still continue to work the old fashioned way. Sites like Nexus do stand to lose a lot of traffic, as casual gamers head to Beth's site, but life will go on. I wonder if Nexus knew about that in advance, and that's why they released their own mod manager, to try and retain casual gamers by streamlining their own mod install process.

Oh, and by the way, I was right about a January release for the CK.

OK guys' date=' no need to panic. If you read the post by bethesda carefully, it just says that they'll have their own mod shop up on Steam, and the CK will have a feature to up mods directly. Of course since it's Bethesda's they can't accept adult mods - or they face a real sh*t storm.

Modding and 3rd party mod sites can still continue to work the old fashioned way. Sites like Nexus do stand to lose a lot of traffic, as casual gamers head to Beth's site, but life will go on. I wonder if Nexus knew about that in advance, and that's why they released their own mod manager, to try and retain casual gamers by streamlining their own mod install process.

Oh, and by the way, I was right about a January release for the CK.

[/quote']

About the nexus losing traffic. Good! Maybe the riffraff modders will leave so the good mods can go up. Be nice if, when that happens, they regret banning 2pac4eva7.

i must say it would be amusing if they did lose all a majority of their traffic but we cant guarantee the good ones would stay or leave anyway so i doubt there would be much change to the mods. 'apart from the obvious ConstructionKit mass changes' we will still get shoddy modders and great modders.

anyone here using the thorpac nude body alpha? check out my links for the beast race textures to go with it.

About the creation kit, if there is a will there is a way, both good and bad.

My take it's about control and the Benjamins ($).

They make the CK after Christmas so as to not scare off parents from buying it for the kids (if you will), and down the road maybe ask for money to get these Bethsoft certified mods and maybe pay the modders too per download.. some good in there and some bad.

The casual user doesn't seem to get the install process for games and mods, so Bethsoft (who I feel made this game for consoles first) is trying to make an environment easier for those types. The users who have been around since Oblivion and longer are at ease with what needs to be done and Bethsoft will leave them to their own methods and devices. (but I wonder if there is still a priority for PC users)

• 2 weeks later...

So adult modding will be harder if Steam is constantly monitoring the data. I'll just have to wait some more time for a cracked non-steam CK. I don't really like the idea of companies slowly trying to force us to use steam, i do agree that it is another option of buying and playing games BUT as a consumer one should have the option TO or NOT TO use it and not have any kind of contact with it. And CK needing steam running for it to work seems like complete BS.

I don't think xmas sales and bad publicity have anything to do with the CK release. Most parents buy their children the console version, pc gamers are mostly 17+, and i don't see many hardcore kids modding oblivion or Fallout... or even The Sims. The game itself was just not in release state by 11/11 and it came out with a Sh*tload of bugs. I remember some article i once read where Todd Howard stated that the CK was going to come with the game on the same release date. Where is it? In dev still 'cause they had to meet a Deadline and could not finish by that time.

I think it's more reasonable to kill the sales/marketing idiots that plan all the sales campaigns. Haha. :)

Well this is an adult game, if parents are buying this game for there kids, the parents needs to be punished in prison.. Why would steam be harder for an adult contents not being in game ?? Why make this game Adult only and then not allow adult content.. That's just stupid.. On my skyrim disc it says 18+

Well, you can play any plugin I think: the only thing is that any adult plugin will not be referenced in steam... but fortunately, we can always install them manually or with an equivalent of obmm ;)

Same thing with mods based on "ripped" content from other games I guess.

Well this is an adult game' date=' if parents are buying this game for there kids, the parents needs to be punished in prison.. Why would steam be harder for an adult contents not being in game ?? Why make this game Adult only and then not allow adult content.. That's just stupid.. On my skyrim disc it says 18+

[/quote']

Well, the example is team fortress 2's steam workshop, the game is rated Mature by ESRB and 16+ by PEGI. And still, they don't allow any kind of 'offensive or sensitive' content on the mod workshop. I Agree, it's really really stupid.

the example is team fortress 2's steam workshop, the game is rated Mature by ESRB and 16+ by PEGI. And still, they don't allow any kind of 'offensive or sensitive' content on the mod workshop.

Great, we can get an idea of what to expect. Does anyone use this? can you answer a couple of questions?

How offensive is "offensive or sensitive" ? I take it that they do allow nudity? or is even nudity against their policy?

If nudity is forbidden, how sexy are clothing mods allowed to be? (Some cultures fly off the handle at a nip slip I seem to recall).

Is vanilla hetero consenting adults sex sort of material allowed?

If sex is allowed - how far can you go?

Do they allow anthropomorphic characters - or would that be bestiality?

Do they object to sexual language? or "obscene" language? are there lists of forbidden words?

Do they insist on a minimum cup size? ("love udders or you're a paedo")

I take if for granted that rape, bestiality, monster sex, tentacles, bondage, unnecrophilia (sex with the undead), sex with closely related pixels, professional sex, public sex....etc....etc... (see the rest of these forums) would count as "offensive" and "sensitive".

How many rules would this .gif break?

The real issue with steam tie-in is that your account is connected to your credit card which is connected to your person.

Sure, the same thing could be said about email accounts, ISP logs and other forms of identification popularly used on nexus and others, but credit card details remove many layers of deniability, and many layers of searching and data mining a person digging for some dirt must go through. This applies to modders and downloaders alike.

Privacy laws are there for a reason.

Well' date=' not if you want to use mods. You ARE tied to it if you want to use the CK.

... although admittedly, hacked CK versions will probably appear pretty quickly.

[/quote']

That and SKSE ONLY supports patched releases. I'm seeing this as a way for them to monitor for illegal copies of DLC too, which, admittedly, was indeed a problem in Oblivion.

To be fairly enough' date=' talk about "Will it/Won't it be tied with Steam?" is a bit pointless really. Do we know enough about it? No. Do you have it and played with it? No. So I'd rather wait and see than to be all pedantic about it.

[/quote']

I was pretty certain I'd read somewhere that the CK was definitely going to require steam to be running. Otherwise I'd never have made so definite a statement.

That said, I can't find the reference, so fair enough: let's wait and see.

everything you registered using that account name, will probably be lost. Not sure what would happen when creating an new account.

i had a steam account previously, but then never used steam again, when i tried logging in it says my steam account did not exist. so i thought, damn i lost all games, then registered and all games was still valid.

Not sure though, you have to ask this on steam itself. Seem they are pretty strict there, especially to multi-player games.

@mailameaten, sora3, DocClox

from athstai:

Just read from the Devs that you will have to have Steam running to use the CK.

That looks quite definitive, but if this is not the case then that is a definite step in the right direction. Could Athstai confirm his/her source?

@sora3

Well, they did say that you are not FORCED to use Steam. It is there as an option.

To be accurate, they said you will not be forced to use the SteamWorkshop for sourcing mods, not that you could avoid a Steam connection if you wanted to use the CK.