Things that you're SICK of people SAYING.

Vor 11 Stunden sagte Darkpig:

Ich habe es satt, dass Leute Dinge „Semi-Permanent“ nennen. Ich werde nie verstehen, warum die Leute es „Semi-permanent“ nennen, anstatt „lange Arschzeit“ zu sagen. Die Dinge sind entweder dauerhaft oder nicht dauerhaft. Es gibt kein Dazwischen. Obwohl technisch gesehen nichts dauerhaft ist. Vielleicht sollten wir auf das Wort „Lebensdauer“ umsteigen, da es Ihr gesamtes Leben lang hält oder ein Leben lang an einem Produkt haftet. Haben Produkte überhaupt ein Leben? Andererseits ist das Universum als Ganzes dauerhaft? Ob das Universum selbst einen Sinn ergibt oder nicht, mir würde es gefallen, wenn die englische Sprache bitte einen Sinn ergeben würde.

What is “permanent”?

absolute "durability" in the sense of "lasts indefinitely" cannot exist in a (temporally) finite universe... even protons "annihilate" after "10-exp-30" years and black holes "annihilate" after "10-exp-50" years!

The term "semi" makes perfect sense - because there is something between ZERO and infinity... also in electrical engineering - the term "semiconductor" describes it quite well - because a transistor is NOT made of copper (a conductor) or ceramic (a NON-conductor) - for the required quantum effects you need -> "semi-conductor"

Edited by Miauzi
24 minutes ago, chooseChaos said:

One small functional brain part deep inside the chaos screeches. CATCH QUESTION! IT'S A CATCH QUESTION!!!

and ...

Hide contents

... surprisingly interrupts the typical: evil villain poses and, accompanied by malicious laughter, explains his plan to the heroine in detail.    😁

tv land speak english GIF by YoungerTV:classic_smile: (I try hard to understand what were you saying but my English is "limited edition").

8 minutes ago, Evaloves4 said:

tv land speak english GIF by YoungerTV:classic_smile: (I try hard to understand what were you saying but my English is "limited edition").

It should mean something like: I will not answer this question.   😁

Edited by chooseChaos
10 hours ago, Evaloves4 said:

> I see, thank you.

I've lost track of what the discussion between you and @chooseChaos is about.

On the topic, native speakers who spell "allowed" "aloud." I have seen it more than once. And either they were indeed native speakers or they lied when I asked them directly. Spelling things how they sound is something little children do.

15 hours ago, Miauzi said:

What is “permanent”?

absolute "durability" in the sense of "lasts indefinitely" cannot exist in a (temporally) finite universe... even protons "annihilate" after "10-exp-30" years and black holes "annihilate" after "10-exp-50" years!

The term "semi" makes perfect sense - because there is something between ZERO and infinity... also in electrical engineering - the term "semiconductor" describes it quite well - because a transistor is NOT made of copper (a conductor) or ceramic (a NON-conductor) - for the required quantum effects you need -> "semi-conductor"

Electricity going through an object can be measured but infinity cannot.

Native speakers spelling "must've" "must of." Again, spelling things the way they sound.

In Lord of the Rings Online chat recently, a player spelled censor as senser, then "corrected" themselves with "sensor." It was clear from the context they meant "censor" not "sensor."

16 hours ago, Evaloves4 said:

This comment reminded me of this.

tumblr_mqf1dogBDZ1rzd6w3o1_400.gif

7 hours ago, branmakmuffin said:

On the topic, native speakers who spell "allowed" "aloud." I have seen it more than once. And either they were indeed native speakers or they lied when I asked them directly. Spelling things how they sound is something little children do.

> He is OK, he was just speaking the English that is above my understanding of it.:classic_smile:

10 hours ago, branmakmuffin said:

Oooooh, didn't even my A picture is worth a thousand words variant help, to get you back on track

2 hours ago, Evaloves4 said:

> He is OK, he was just speaking the English that is above my understanding of it.:classic_smile:

Chaos is not just okay ... grumble   😁

chaos is:

Spoiler

Ah & just to pretend I care about the topic of this thread:    😇
I'm tired of people saying,: No, Chaos, don't do that, Chaos, that's a really stupid idea, Chaos, I can't believe you actually did that ...

Edited by chooseChaos
3 hours ago, chooseChaos said:

Oooooh, didn't even my A picture is worth a thousand words variant help, to get you back on track

Chaos is not just okay ... grumble   😁

chaos is:

Reveal hidden contents

Ah & just to pretend I care about the topic of this thread:    😇
I'm tired of people saying,: No, Chaos, don't do that, Chaos, that's a really stupid idea, Chaos, I can't believe you actually did that ...

Chaos is beauty in a form that very few can understand, let alone appreciate.

12 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Electricity going through an object can be measured but infinity cannot.

You can measure infinity, but it'll take you forever. Ho ho!  *rimshot*

Ahem. I'm tired of people saying, "Why is the site so slow!?!?!?!"

I'm tired of people who argue with me about issues in an area in which I am very well-versed, because it's my vocation. Which does not mean I can never be wrong. But it does mean I'm very knowledgeable on the subject. It would be like me arguing with a surgeon about surgical techniques.

"Mid". When you just can't be bothered to speak or write the whole word "middle". Especially when used as an implied insult. From my understanding, middle has only meant; the place between, average, serviceable. Not great or horrible, but decent. Also has become one of those overused internet trend words, like "sus".

Someone used "soz" in chat not long ago and I had to ask what that meant. But people have criticized slang since slang has been around. I don't know how old the slang meaning of "cool" is, but I guarantee older people criticized younger people for using it that way. Now it's pretty much not slang any more (although still informal).

3 hours ago, ElaboratePseudonym said:

"Mid". When you just can't be bothered to speak or write the whole word "middle". Especially when used as an implied insult. From my understanding, middle has only meant; the place between, average, serviceable. Not great or horrible, but decent. Also has become one of those overused internet trend words, like "sus".

“Mid” means “mid-tier”, as in “5/10” or “C-grade”. It’s a slanged up way of saying “mediocre”. People usually use “mid” when they want to say something isn’t all that great, overhyped, or just okay.

But yeah, it is overused. Just another thing that people on the internet have driven into the ground.

2 hours ago, porkybork said:

“Mid” means “mid-tier”

I confess that I did not consider "mid" could be a shortened version of "mid-tier", rather than a reduced "middle". However, isn't "mid-tier" itself a condensed form of "middle tier"?

Anyway, my objection is mostly about the meaning of "average", "middle", "mid-tier" seemingly changing from a description to an insult. Also my understanding of this or any other subject may not be definitive and complete.

Also also not opposed to learning and adopting new words from the internet. First saw "doggo" about 12 years ago, but now use it more than "dog".

Edited by ElaboratePseudonym

I never use "doggo," but it;'s not something I would put on this list. And I realize that you, @ElaboratePseudonym, did not say you would, either (particularly in light if the fact that you yourself use it).

But this is on my list (and there's a good chance I already mentioned this). "As we all know" or any similar phrase.