Why do people tilt their screenshots?

This is something that's been bothering me for years. I'm sure you've seen it, but on Nexus and here a common trend for screenshots (primarily of the sexy variety) seems to be tilting the camera. Why? I mean, they look nice, but I have to tilt my head just to look at them and it's kind of annoying.

BTW, this thread is the result of over 22 hours with no sleep. I woke up at 2 am last night and it's currently 12:34 am. I ran out of melatonin 3 days ago and haven't been able to get more. Fuck me running.

1 minute ago, deadjester226 said:

common trend for screenshots (primarily of the sexy variety) seems to be tilting the camera

The same applies to professional photography as well. Some say they do it to get more "life" out of the capture. Whatever that means.

3 minutes ago, deadjester226 said:

over 22 hours with no sleep

Sleep is for the weak.

It's intended to throw off the viewer. Give you a sense of vertigo, forces to do deal with the image a second time. So, in terms of an illicit or sexy image, it forces you to relook at in and refocus. My two cents.

My assumption has been that it's to show off as much of the character or outfit as possible at the highest resolution.  The tilt usually aligns the character along the diagonal, so it fills as much of the image as possible.  While I understand the reason for that, it annoys me a lot.  I'd rather just see a smaller vertical version.  It suggests a certain amount of ego on the part of the author, who's so proud of this creation that he thinks it's okay to annoy viewers by tilting images up to 60 degrees.  Just provide a few closeup shots.

Angle helps fill the shot with more content of the subject. Take these two for example. 

I only have 1920 pixels across and 1080 up, but diagonally I have ~2203 pixels according to the Pythagorean theorem.

HiResPhoto29.jpg

HiResPhoto30.jpg

34 minutes ago, Etrius vanRandr said:

Angle helps fill the shot with more content of the subject. Take these two for example. 

I only have 1920 pixels across and 1080 up, but diagonally I have ~2203 pixels according to the Pythagorean theorem.

Yeah, but the top shot is objectively stupid and annoying, while the bottom shot works just fine.  Seriously, no one is trying to read the dust particles on the exhaust pipes, you don't need the extra pixels.  Just keep the shot straight and level so that it's easy on the eyes/brain.

Edited by davisev5225
3 hours ago, Etrius vanRandr said:

HiResPhoto29.jpg

HiResPhoto30.jpg

Next time use a real car!  Kidding you but seriously real car.   :D

7 hours ago, Alessia Wellington said:

Some say they do it to get more "life" out of the capture.

They add more life by making the image a pain in the ass to look at?

7 hours ago, zelphador23 said:

It's intended to throw off the viewer. Give you a sense of vertigo, forces to do deal with the image a second time. So, in terms of an illicit or sexy image, it forces you to relook at in and refocus. My two cents.

All it does is make my neck hurt. But maybe that's just me.

6 hours ago, davisev5225 said:

Art school dropouts doing pretentious things because they think it "elevates" their "work", nothing more.  ?

Tell me. Does this need "elevation"?

Spoiler

134459260_Fallout46_1_202311_00_45PM.png.c9eb93d3c995834d82a09e5c0aea6b57.png

6 hours ago, davisev5225 said:

Yeah, but the top shot is objectively stupid and annoying, while the bottom shot works just fine.  Seriously, no one is trying to read the dust particles on the exhaust pipes, you don't need the extra pixels.  Just keep the shot straight and level so that it's easy on the eyes/brain.

Agreed. Nice car, but it doesn't need to look like it's stuck in some wacky alternate universe with Doctor Strange.

1 hour ago, deadjester226 said:

Tell me. Does this need "elevation"?

Hide contents

134459260_Fallout46_1_202311_00_45PM.png.c9eb93d3c995834d82a09e5c0aea6b57.png

No, but I assume there's some nice shoes to go with that outfit, and we can't see them.  A portrait shot would be ideal here.

Also, everything on her (including the skin) looks a bit too plastic-y.  ?

7 hours ago, davisev5225 said:

No, but I assume there's some nice shoes to go with that outfit, and we can't see them.  A portrait shot would be ideal here.

Also, everything on her (including the skin) looks a bit too plastic-y.  ?

Her feet aren’t visible because the pose she’s doing causes her feet to sink into the ground because she’s wearing heels, and for some reason AAF, though it claims that shouldn’t happen, causes that to happen.

Her skin looking like that is just the skin mod I use, so there’s really nothing I can do about it.

Edited by deadjester226

11 hours ago, deadjester226 said:

This is something that's been bothering me for years. I'm sure you've seen it, but on Nexus and here a common trend for screenshots (primarily of the sexy variety) seems to be tilting the camera. Why? I mean, they look nice, but I have to tilt my head just to look at them and it's kind of annoying.

BTW, this thread is the result of over 22 hours with no sleep. I woke up at 2 am last night and it's currently 12:34 am. I ran out of melatonin 3 days ago and haven't been able to get more. Fuck me running.

Do you have an example? ?

5 hours ago, Resdayn said:

Do you have an example? ?

Go on Nexus and look at the screenshots people post for games like Skyrim SE or Fallout 4. I would do it myself, but I don’t want someone getting pissed at me for posting their images without their consent.

Edited by deadjester226
10 minutes ago, deadjester226 said:

Go on Nexus and look at the screenshots people post for games like Skyrim SE or Fallout 4. I would do it myself, but I don’t want someone getting pissed at me for posting their images without their consent.

:classic_ph34r: Well I wondered if it something I do in my pictures, but looking at the those recent pictures?, it's not something I do, at least not in that way ?

Edited by Resdayn
12 hours ago, davisev5225 said:

Yeah, but the top shot is objectively stupid and annoying,

That's your opinion. Other people don't have an issue with it.

12 hours ago, davisev5225 said:

you don't need the extra pixels. 

For professional work, yes you do.

8 hours ago, Sir Bron said:

Next time use a real car!  Kidding you but seriously real car.   :D

I modeled that car myself.

1 hour ago, Etrius vanRandr said:

That's your opinion. Other people don't have an issue with it.

For professional work, yes you do.

We're not talking about professional work, nor is your comparison apples-to-apples.  Professionals don't tilt the image when they take it then crop all (4) corners to straighten it back up in post-processing, they just get a higher resolution image sensor and frame the subject material properly to begin with.  It's a "hack" for low-resolution cameras that only ever existed in the amateur space and has always been considered dumb.  We also don't have the low-resolution camera problem anymore, so the only reason anyone does it is because they think it gives the photo "style" (see: pretension about being a professional).  No one likes it other than the person who took the photo.

Also, most modding sites swing the banhammer if you dare to complain about something, even when it's "trivial" like screenshots.  Most people don't consider the risk of getting banned worth saying "your screenshots are terrible and make it hard to look at what you're trying to show".

Edited by davisev5225
2 hours ago, davisev5225 said:

Most people don't consider the risk of getting banned worth saying "your screenshots are terrible and make it hard to look at what you're trying to show".

I’m not saying the screenshots are bad or anything, because most screenshots that have that look fine. It just makes the image harder to look at because I feel like I have to tilt my head to get a better look.

The point is that it just seems impractical.

Edited by deadjester226