Why do people tilt their screenshots?

32 minutes ago, ElaboratePseudonym said:

I've been wrong before, but I believe that this topic is so subjective (personal asthetic) that any attempted answer to the question cannot be objective, but only a restatement of the phrase, "I like this, but not that.".

I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it. I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong. It's just that, in my opinion, it seems  impractical and annoying when someone takes a screenshot and makes it where you have to tilt your head almost 90 degrees to see it.

48 minutes ago, ElaboratePseudonym said:

Are these not your subjective interpretations?

Please go back and read my previous post carefully.

Spoiler

Also, since you mention Mayhem, mebbe try 1349, Mgla and Emperor.

I don't know the first 2, but I do listen to Emperor. Favorite song by them is "I am the Black Wizards". Other hardcore bands I listen to are Shining (the Swedish band), Darkthrone, Minas Morgul, Dark Funeral, Dawn of Disease, Bloodbath, Behemoth, Portal, and others that I can't think of right now.

Edited by deadjester226

Usually, if I do it, it's because I want to get a thead-to-toe closeup, and putting the subjects head at one corner and her feet at the other means I get zoom in closer without cutting anything off.

Of course, I do sometimes do it because I think it lends itself to the mood, or occasionally because I just feel like it. Usually though, it's so I can get more into the shot.

On 6/6/2023 at 9:57 PM, davisev5225 said:

Vertigo isn't a good look for art, either.

It is if that is the intended effect. Tilting a staircase in a tower or revealing the ascending path up a tall, steep mountain is one of the optimal uses for such a camera angle.

• 9 months later...

As someone with a photography degree, I can explain it (though I highly doubt anyone will care). You see, it's all about using as much space in your shot as possible for the picture you're taking. Take this screenshot I made of my SSE character, Alice, and her friend Ashley getting... intimate as an example.

8CEGx22o_o.jpg

You'll notice how much space is wasted in this shot. This image is about the women enjoying each other, so we want to focus on that. We can achieve this by tilting the image. Here's an example of this exact shot, but tilted.

qUjx7aIk_o.jpg

You see that a lot less space is wasted on things that don't matter to the picture. Also, there's no decrease in quality because the same amount of pixels is being used. It's just that they're being used on Alice and Ashley and not things in the background, such as the walls, nightstands, etc. The tilted image serves to show more of what we want to see while also giving better quality.