No sex in Starfield. Modders you're up

13 hours ago, Angelvine said:

sex mod is very good more than without sex mod in their games 

How many long you played cyberpunk 2077 repeat without stop or retire

I played Cyberpunk for,,, I think I have close to 1000 hours in it. No sex mods installed.

If you're playing a game for sex mods, you're playing the wrong kinds of games.

Playing a mod just now made me realize that the bland, one dimensional characters that Beth always writes is actually perfect for modding any way we like. For instance, in a game that has somewhat compelling stories and characters with some depth, I think most of us would be hesitant to do much in the way of mods that don't fit that character. It's easy to do whatever we like with the mostly generic personalities they create. But can anybody see a well written character that is faced with moral dilemmas purely as a sex toy or slave? One that over the course of the game we might actually identify with and like (or respect at least)? This also makes me think that taking out the karma system was the right decision as well.

So it's not that Beth doesn't realize that their games are more or less simplistic, shallow and amoral. This is actually the formula that they think best supports mods and appeals to the widest audience... and they're right. The genius is that they make their games just entertaining enough for us to buy them and play once or twice, yet watered down/unrefined enough to compel us to mod them for years and years.

Edited by KoolHndLuke
On 3/24/2023 at 2:36 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

Playing a mod just now made me realize that the bland, one dimensional characters that Beth always writes is actually perfect for modding any way we like. For instance, in a game that has somewhat compelling stories and characters with some depth, I think most of us would be hesitant to do much in the way of mods that don't fit that character. It's easy to do whatever we like with the mostly generic personalities they create. But can anybody see a well written character that is faced with moral dilemmas purely as a sex toy or slave? One that over the course of the game we might actually identify with and like (or respect at least)? This also makes me think that taking out the karma system was the right decision as well.

So it's not that Beth doesn't realize that their games are more or less simplistic, shallow and amoral. This is actually the formula that they think best supports mods and appeals to the widest audience... and they're right. The genius is that they make their games just entertaining enough for us to buy them and play once or twice, yet watered down/unrefined enough to compel us to mod them for years and years.

Todd has literally given a TED talk on this. It's not the characters, though; it's the scenarios. The bland as fuck characters is good ol Emil's personal handiwork, and it is a minor miracle that Bethesda finally promoted him out of Lead Writer; there's really no diplomatic way to say it: Pagliarulo is a hack. Literally. He's openly stated his characters are direct copies of shit he watches on Movies and TV.

Speaking of: Ubi$haft just gave a GDC about replacing your writers with AI, because of course they did.

Edited by 27X
7 minutes ago, 27X said:

Ubi$haft just gave a GDC about replacing your writers with AI, because of course they did.

I wanted to make a snarky comment that AI bots would still write better stories than the hacks that make the majority of current movie/gaming writers. But then I came to my senses and remembered who is programming those AI bots' personalities.....

Edited by MrEsturk
13 minutes ago, 27X said:

Ubi$haft just gave a GDC about replacing your writers with AI, because of course they did.

Replacing the writers is not what I had in mind (they're bad enough already). Have been gaming all my stupid life, and if this is the future of it? I'll stick to the past.

Edited by KoolHndLuke
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 10:24 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

Framework author is around here somewhere. Animators seem to be MIA though.

It's also only a matter of time before there's the creature framework for all the weird alien shit that's on Starfield. Probably gonna see a lot of face huggers and anime tentacles ?

On 3/21/2023 at 7:31 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

Yet Todd boasts of how sophisticated their game A.I. is saying quote; "If we turned the A.I. all the way up, the player wouldn't stand a chance". Doesn't matter how good the A.I. is Todd with wonky ass physics and dirty code everywhere. :lol:

That's been generally true for years though. I remember reading an article about game design 20 years ago where they made the point that if the AI is too good, players won't see cunning opponents, they'll think the computer is cheating.

The trick is to balance the AI so the player can see the enemies being clever and co-ordinated, but not so clever that they know how to perfectly exploit the player;s weaknesses, every single time.

5 hours ago, DocClox said:

The trick is to balance the AI so the player can see the enemies being clever and co-ordinated, but not so clever that they know how to perfectly exploit the player;s weaknesses, every single time.

Spawn points aren't clever, lol. What they lack sometimes is a solid system with rules that balance both what the player can do and the AI. My favorite AI cheat are things like "guided" arrows and shit that never miss no matter what you duck behind. No-fucking-body is that good. :classic_wink:

Edited by KoolHndLuke
  • 2 months later...
On 3/21/2023 at 8:39 PM, belegost said:

OP please consider correcting the title. I'm not a native speaker, in fact, English is not even my third language, yet that "your" physically hurts me every time my eyes glance over it. It would be very much appreciated, thank you kindly.

It's actually correct though, Short for Modders you are up. If it was your it would be implying that up is in the possession of modders.

• 3 months later...