Mod Authors - How did you get started?

Hi everyone! 

If you are a mod author, I would love to hear how you got started in modding? What I mean is, a story of sorts; your story from first you heard of modding to point you had completed your first (hopefully working) mod. Did you have prior programming experience? Is programming experience required? Was the learning curve steep? 

I'm not asking for a how-to guide, per se. I'm trying to get a feel for navigating around getting started, maybe pitfalls to avoid, if it contains explicit instructions then great but more about your background in gaming, computers and the like and how it lead to your becoming a mod author. Maybe you work in programming or are an artist in another area?

I'll start (but not a mod author, yet): I had no gaming experience on PC prior to about 4-5 years ago. Was a console gamer in the 80s, stopped gaming in the 90s, then started again with PS2/3.

I in fact never touched a computer beyond word processing for school assignments until I had to learn to type over two weeks in 2007 for a job opportunity. From there, I started to dabble a bit in computers, badly, until about 2014 when I discovered the world of microcontrollers. If you could call them mods (I'm really reaching here), I taught myself to code and build real world working video game props: to date I've built laser mazes, a working Sentry Bot, a Fallout Terminal, a lockpick safe deposit box, and some other less complicated items. 

I like to think of these as mods in a way, except that I'm modding the real world to reflect problems we encounter in Fallout 3/4: namely, cracking a safe via terminal, "defeating" a Sentry Bot (turned out like a 300 pound, mobile robot/arcade video game cabinet with a game installed I wrote in Processing called "Threat Matrix"), etc, if that makes sense. I realize I'm really reaching here but microcontrollers (Arduino specifically) are so far the only real coding I've done. As for Fallout 4 (the only modded game I play), it's very bare bones: typing in custom commands in the console to call various bat files in my Fallout folder (materials cheats and the like). I also long for the day when physical computing starts bleeding into the PC gaming space much more. I love to see things like custom dashboards for American Truck Simulator, stuff like that. Ultimately, I would like to build my own workshop in my garage, inspired by the opening title sequence in Fallout 4. I just happened to start with the security machines (tripwires, robot guard, safe) because what damn fool would leave all his power armor, tools and Pip Boy just sitting there waiting to be looted without a little security?

What's your story?

THIS... will kill ya.

Years ago... and boy, do I mean years... my parents bought me a TI 99/4a Home Computer.  This was a console-like computer built by Texas Instruments, using its on hardwired operating system. It had no hard-drive of any sort, and instead had a cartridge port for additional capabilities. And to save/record data, you actually used.... a cassette tape deck to record your programs and/or data.

image.jpeg

That's what I had.  Granted, it was also accompanied by two joysticks for gaming.

At the time I had this, there were some movies that were pretty popular.  GHØSTBUSTERS for one... if that doesn't suggest how long ago it has been, and a movie that was the first to actually use CG for outer-space starship battles:  The Last Starfighter.

So one day, I thought... what the heck?

tumblr_nzdw8cLSHW1qhrm3lo1_540-279384492.gif

This was from the video game from within the movie itself.

Yeah, there was NO WAY I was gonna get THIS close...

UNFORTUNATELY, I was stuck using BASIC (or its limited variation of Basic).  I could access the x/y controls of the joysticks, test when I could press the buttons on them, and spent HOURS working out the graphics.  For the sprites, you were limited indeed to a 16x16 block for each sprite and you had to create the sprites using Hexidecimal code... no graphics importing.

Still, I was able to make a cheap game that allowed up to five enemy targets moving across the screen one missile (each) at me while I used both joysticks to move my Starfighter's targeting recticle to shoot them down.... One joystick controlling horizontal behavior and the Missiles, the other controlling vertical behavior and the particle beam lazers.

Old school enough?

EDIT:  I also made my own LOTR games with larger graphics for this piece of junk, actually making renders based upon the character designs of the Saul Zaent/Ralph Bakshi animated feature.

Edited by LongDukDong

First heard of modding with Fallout 3, but didn't really try my hand at it until Skyrim came out.

What I did was get a copy of the creation kit, and the work though all the non-video tutorials on creationkit.com. (Video tutorials annoy me for some reason, so unless there's something I can't learn any other way I try to avoid them).  Then I set out to make a mod and ... there was a lot of trial and error involved. It didn't help that this was when Skyrim first launched, and no-one had any prior experience of Papyrus or many of the Creation Engine systems. There was a great depth of experience from earlier games of course, but a lot of that just wasn't relevant. We were all learning this new thing.

I'm a professional programmer, mostly systems and database stuff. It ... didn't help as much as I'd hoped. Much of what I knew from writing C and Python didn't apply at all. What I did need to get my head around was properties and how the scripts bound to engine variables at run time, and the way quests in particular were started and how aliases filled, and how to get that info into the scripts. Again, this wasn't helped by the fact hat no-one else really knew how to do it, so there wasn't a body of existing modders to whom you could say "This is probably a stupid question, but ..."

What I wish I'd dug into earlier was modelling. Textures and animations and most of all the NIF format and the crazy things you can do just with that. There was a decent body of experience I could have called on for that, but I was a programmer and I wanted to write scripts.

I do have some hobby level artistic chops, but ... there's a reason "programmer art" is a red flag on so many indie projects. I'm a better draftsman that an artist. That said, I've I like to think I've done some halfway decent tats over my time. I also had a tiny bit of experience with Blender, and that eventually came in handy making furniture for Raider Reform School.

Edited by DocClox

In brief:  Initally modded new guns into Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear for my gaming group (played at a university with large LAN parties at the time).

Got into Bethesda modding for a short time with Oblivion, did some animations and NPCs.

With Skyrim, I started "modding" by editing mods and creating patches, slowly built up an understanding and skill set until I attempted scripting (which I was never formally trained in and did not come at all naturally to me).  Took about 3 years of fits and starts for the lightbulb to finally go on over my head, and then I started modding aggressively (and I should note: very poorly).

That was about 7 years ago.

Since then I am still an amateur at scripting, but at least recognize best practices and create code that others find comprehensible.  I mod very nearly every aspect of the game except animations (a rabbit hole I do not want to lose myself down -- I have animation experience going back to lightwave 3.5 and the earliest implimentations of inverse kinematics -- relationships died over my obsession with animating, and I won't get back into it for my own mental health.)

It is hard to say how many "mods" I create in a given span of time, because these generally start as edits between mods I regularly use to make them cooperate, and then creating my own intermediate systems to fill in the blanks between those mods' design and purpose.  I generally don't share mods publically because I'd have to share essentially my whole load order and many, many uncredited assets.  I've found that modding for the public does not increae my enjoyment of the process (in fact, it is a net negative to me).

With Bethesda games, modding is just a given for me.  When the tools are available, I will no doubt be modding the shit out of TES6, maybe public and shared, maybe not.

Edited by Seijin8

Well I can only do fairly basic stuff, texture edits, playing around in the creation kits or sims 4 studio, altering code that is already written, stuff like that.

Started modding Oblivion and Fallout 3 around 2008 adding mods and then learning how to make changes in the editors. When FNV released I did an unmodded playthrough and then went wild changing things. Mostly altering mods made by others (for personal taste) and importing some of the weapons from F3 into FNV. Shortly after that is when I first registered here. Now my FNV install folder is so convoluted that I have to have it saved as an archive to be able to reinstall it.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 I pretty much played the same way, just altering things to suit what I want. Nothing really worth releasing to others.

Sims 4 is the first game that I have actually released anything for. Just a few sims, some shirts, and some boobjob scars, so far. Really would like to learn how to do more, but can't for reasons that I won't get into.

The Sims (the original game) was the first game that I actually added user made content to, kind of funny now that I think about it. Like coming full circle in a way.

I wanted an uncut version of a Schlongs of Skyrim addon, so I spent the next few days or so bashing my head against the NifTools importer, then the next few bashing it against Blender's modelling tools, then a final few against the exporter until I finally figured out all the obtuse bugs and had a brain haemorrhage.

My background is in the sciences, not the arts, which is perhaps why I gravitated towards 3d modelling and scripting over texture work. Backgrounds are not neccessary for mods though, only the desire to learn and the ability to be patient whilst doing so.

Bethesda games in general have a pretty steep learning curve when it comes to modding. The tools are there and for the most part are actually pretty powerful, but are often bulky, overwhelming and not all that intuitive. If you've got an analytical mind though, you'll make sense of the chaos soon enough, especially if you've got a mod idea to work towards.

P.S. Praise be to BadDog and PyNifly. If you want to do 3D modelling for a Bethesda game, I beg you use that. NifTools is abomination.

Edited by Frosferes

On this topic I have a question for the experienced scripters (mostly Papyrus/Fallout/TES centered) - are there any good resources on getting started in scripting for people who have never done it?  Is there anything like a "Papyrus for Dummies" book?

I've done a lot of my own edits of mods in xEdit, and made a few other of my own small mods, some in CK but mostly using xEdit again, but I have no background in scripting.  I have lots of ideas, but not always the expertise to make them happen, or even get started.

15 hours ago, Frosferes said:

To my knowledge the CK wiki is by far the best Papyrus resource around. They have tutorials that can help newbies get started: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Bethesda_Tutorial_Papyrus_Hello_World

I've used the wiki for other projects but didn't realize there was a good scripting tutorial there.  I guess that makes sense since Bethesda is a major user of it.

I'll have to check it out, thank you!

On 12/5/2022 at 2:45 PM, LongDukDong said:
Spoiler

THIS... will kill ya.

Years ago... and boy, do I mean years... my parents bought me a TI 99/4a Home Computer.  This was a console-like computer built by Texas Instruments, using its on hardwired operating system. It had no hard-drive of any sort, and instead had a cartridge port for additional capabilities. And to save/record data, you actually used.... a cassette tape deck to record your programs and/or data.

image.jpeg

That's what I had.  Granted, it was also accompanied by two joysticks for gaming.

At the time I had this, there were some movies that were pretty popular.  GHØSTBUSTERS for one... if that doesn't suggest how long ago it has been, and a movie that was the first to actually use CG for outer-space starship battles:  The Last Starfighter.

UNFORTUNATELY, I was stuck using BASIC (or its limited variation of Basic).  I could access the x/y controls of the joysticks, test when I could press the buttons on them, and spent HOURS working out the graphics.  For the sprites, you were limited indeed to a 16x16 block for each sprite and you had to create the sprites using Hexidecimal code... no graphics importing.

Still, I was able to make a cheap game that allowed up to five enemy targets moving across the screen one missile (each) at me while I used both joysticks to move my Starfighter's targeting recticle to shoot them down.... One joystick controlling horizontal behavior and the Missiles, the other controlling vertical behavior and the particle beam lazers.

Old school enough?

EDIT:  I also made my own LOTR games with larger graphics for this piece of junk, actually making renders based upon the character designs of the Saul Zaent/Ralph Bakshi animated feature.

I kneel.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:01 PM, LT12Gauge said:

Hi everyone! 

If you are a mod author, I would love to hear how you got started in modding? What I mean is, a story of sorts; your story from first you heard of modding to point you had completed your first (hopefully working) mod. Did you have prior programming experience? Is programming experience required? Was the learning curve steep? 

I'm not asking for a how-to guide, per se. I'm trying to get a feel for navigating around getting started, maybe pitfalls to avoid, if it contains explicit instructions then great but more about your background in gaming, computers and the like and how it lead to your becoming a mod author. Maybe you work in programming or are an artist in another area?

I'll start (but not a mod author, yet): I had no gaming experience on PC prior to about 4-5 years ago. Was a console gamer in the 80s, stopped gaming in the 90s, then started again with PS2/3.

I in fact never touched a computer beyond word processing for school assignments until I had to learn to type over two weeks in 2007 for a job opportunity. From there, I started to dabble a bit in computers, badly, until about 2014 when I discovered the world of microcontrollers. If you could call them mods (I'm really reaching here), I taught myself to code and build real world working video game props: to date I've built laser mazes, a working Sentry Bot, a Fallout Terminal, a lockpick safe deposit box, and some other less complicated items. 

I like to think of these as mods in a way, except that I'm modding the real world to reflect problems we encounter in Fallout 3/4: namely, cracking a safe via terminal, "defeating" a Sentry Bot (turned out like a 300 pound, mobile robot/arcade video game cabinet with a game installed I wrote in Processing called "Threat Matrix"), etc, if that makes sense. I realize I'm really reaching here but microcontrollers (Arduino specifically) are so far the only real coding I've done. As for Fallout 4 (the only modded game I play), it's very bare bones: typing in custom commands in the console to call various bat files in my Fallout folder (materials cheats and the like). I also long for the day when physical computing starts bleeding into the PC gaming space much more. I love to see things like custom dashboards for American Truck Simulator, stuff like that. Ultimately, I would like to build my own workshop in my garage, inspired by the opening title sequence in Fallout 4. I just happened to start with the security machines (tripwires, robot guard, safe) because what damn fool would leave all his power armor, tools and Pip Boy just sitting there waiting to be looted without a little security?

What's your story?

At first hand you need to have interest in the dedicated game and find out, how deep this modding is possible, based on your knowledge, actually.

And then you need to find an interesting mod, which takes your attention. You need to know which way such a mod needs to take into the game...or you are the first one, which is editing or creating something "new", or you can handle to create a tool or dedicated game-access like FNIS.

If you want to create new stuff for skyrim, you can learn to use the Creation Kit and that´s it: the game will offer big new changes if you edit existing stuff or if you add new content...if your mods go more into depth, you can learn the game´s language "papyrus" and add new quests as well. I relate to SKYRIM as this game is offering the most flexiable modding, ever. Endless creators made tools, which can be used to integrate and hack the game with stuff, which allows crazy things with this game.

My interesting came with ZAP and the way, how this new assets of furnitures are placed into the game, by adding new content combined of statical elements (gamebryo-files) together with their suiting animation-idles, brought by FNIS into the game.

Beside of that I wanted to also add new content into SIMS4 and I made some few stuff for myself-but the overall way how the game is working...no direct control of the character(s) and the overall graphical look and other technical restrictions lead me to stop with that quite quickly. Also SIMS 3 I have modded in the past, but only for myself.

In the past I also modded GTAIV and of course GTAV as both games have cool physics which interested me. I created some racing courts, which could be used online, lot of time before rockstar came with their first racing-parcourt-updates. Also the rage-engine has some restrictions for the density of assets, which I found out very early: too quick cars are not possible same way as too quick planes as the engine can not load the world fast enough. And if you overclutter an area, the stuff becomes same way invisible, like you have with all the other game´s engines, not important if you have a 64bit engine or if you play with a 64bit engine. The animation-system of gta has been always a best-of and the overall hack-tuning of cars and their destroying-factors simply the most fun game to play with:-))...

I also waited for comfort-tool-access into rdr2 but their responsible team maybe gave up during the time-idk. That game needs serious survivals and finally a serious creator-system for different new custom missions, survivals, races and so on....if rockstar is not able to do that, they should let the gamers create online minigames.

At least I like very much terraforming and landscape designing as this is spending atmosphere into a game.

6 hours ago, t.ara said:

I relate to SKYRIM as this game is offering the most flexiable modding, ever

Awesome, thanks! I think Fallout 4 is about as flexible, right, since they're both built the same way? I knew Creation Kit was a commonly used tool to mod Skyrim/Fallout 4 but didn't realize that quest mods were done by manipulating/writing Papyrus scripts (although that totally makes sense now, as I type this). 

I have been slowly digging into the console commands in game. I know there are mods that let us access key features that way, such as Looks Menu. In fact, I just a couple days ago realized how to change how all my companions look. I already run Loving Cait but now I was able to change that look as well. I could finally make MacCready not look like such a punk. I changed his hair, hair color to dark auburn, added face paint that suits stealth, suited him up with Greens Ghillies and XM2010 sniper rifle. He's finally useful in combat!

2 hours ago, LT12Gauge said:

Awesome, thanks! I think Fallout 4 is about as flexible, right, since they're both built the same way? I knew Creation Kit was a commonly used tool to mod Skyrim/Fallout 4 but didn't realize that quest mods were done by manipulating/writing Papyrus scripts (although that totally makes sense now, as I type this). 

I have been slowly digging into the console commands in game. I know there are mods that let us access key features that way, such as Looks Menu. In fact, I just a couple days ago realized how to change how all my companions look. I already run Loving Cait but now I was able to change that look as well. I could finally make MacCready not look like such a punk. I changed his hair, hair color to dark auburn, added face paint that suits stealth, suited him up with Greens Ghillies and XM2010 sniper rifle. He's finally useful in combat!

FO4 offers a professional feature to use the original bethesda exporter for gamebryo-files for the version 3dsmax 2013/14. This is an absolutely charming chance, to work professional also as a modder. And also the Creation Kit of FO4 is much more featuring OPTIONS for different gamerelated PARTS. FO4 is for sure in technical way the best bethesda game.

But I do not like the content. As SKYRIM is a different genre, I simply said it in such a way. Means: To me is SKYRIM a best mod-able game, ever:-)))-And you get endless mods, which really are in quality-you can feel the people put into it the most intensive work.

• 3 weeks later...

I began altering stuff back in 2000 with Mugen... So cool, altering stats, fighting commands, altering some pixels, switching characters with other pixels, it was noice....Then College, quit College, parties, drugs and women and finally settle down , then I came back save editing stuff ob BL1 on xbox 360 in 2011+/- I loved the idea of retrieving some data on a video game, then passing to a PC, altering it, build weapons, shields, money, altering everything, then reassigning it as my save and put it back in the game and even play online! I was WOW... So cool... Then came BL2, Diablo 3, Dragon's Dogma then much later I started to mess with PC, 7 years ago +/-, the 1st most memorable thing that I actually did on PC was I think to discover some cheat codes for Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn on Dolphin emulator (I LOVE THIS GAME, play it every year), I think I was the last guy that did found some codes for it, I made some weapons and turned them into blessed state, even created an excel table for the game, so cool, but it has some issues bc of stuff (long story). Then I also discovered some cheat codes for Dragon Force 2 english trans from fans for Saturn Emulator (forgot the name, didn't like the game, expected it to be more like Dragon Force 1), Skyrim I just play, I altered some mods on FO4 but never released, just for myself, then this year I started to really dig modding TS4, so cool, learning lot's of new stuff, but I don't do scripts, just add some stuff here and there to already made mods...

Edited by lucifeh

Not a story or guide but just my personal experiance

You will need two things:

First and main  - motivation. It is most powerfull "tool" in the world. No motivation - no action. For example motivation can make 3d artist, programmer and game designer from ex millitary who dont know anything at all about these things. First of all find your own motivation. How? Hm... Just look at Skyrim (for example) again and try to feel it as a living world but not just a game. World where you can change anything, do anything, create anything.

Second thing: you need to love the world you want to change with your mods. I other case this will be a job. Just another one routine.

When you will have a virtual worl you love and understending that you can change/create anything in this world you will obtain understanding of what you want to do.

Only after that you will need tutorials and guides :) And now you will have a power to learn any skill you need and obtai any knowleges does not matter how coplicated it looks on first time.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:45 PM, LongDukDong said:

THIS... will kill ya.

image.jpeg

Old school enough?

Yaaaaay - my first computer, too. :)

And pretty useless without the Extended Basic module and a fitting cable for a cassette player. No monitor, I blocked the only TV in the house for hours. Nobody could watch TV while I was messing with the computer.

Not sure, if it's still lying around somewhere in the attic of my parents...

There were monthly magazines for sale around here which had code listings of games and other stuff. So we bought that and typed all that stuff in. That's how I learned to code. Took hours to type in and fix the bugs when we had typos. A typo in the Hexcodes for the graphics led to many funny or frustrating moments (if you had to find the wrong character in dozens of "DATA" lines...
I was so jealous of my neighbor who had a C64, which had so much more abilities and cracked software circulating. But in the end it was OK with the TI99/4A. I was happy to own a computer regardless. After that I got an Atari 1040ST - and then I was finished with coding. I'm still pretty much a user...

Started modding through the Sims 3 with downloading CC for my sims. I dabbled a little with modding Dragon Age Origins and than got heavily into modding with Skyrim.

Skyrim is the only game that I created mods for. Most of it were small, personal changes to mods but I made two mods that I shared on this site.

I started off with The Sims 2 in maybe 2010/2011. I wanted to make cute outfits for my sims and then I started to share them with the community. I slowly started learning how to port things from other games as well. I eventually moved on to The Sims 4. I didn’t start playing the game for real until a few years ago. It was so boring. Then I discovered WW and was like, oooooh, this could be a sexy little game. Haha, I then started wanting my sims to have sexy and cute outfits and the rest is history. The creation process helps me get my mind off of things. My Dad passed away recently and it got me back into creating again. It’s much more productive than crying in a corner ?

• 2 months later...

I started back in Morrowind, the beast races couldn't wear shoes so I wanted to figure out a way to make them wear shoes. I discovered that most armor/shoes contained 2 parts, it's been way to long but I figured out that if I removed 1 part then the other part would fit and beast races could then wear shoes/armor on their feet. Wish I could remember what part it was, maybe like an ankle piece or something.

Anyway, the armor piece didn't show up, but still counted as armor on the body.

I've modded various other games off and on since, I have however gotten kinda upset at the modding community and developers and haven't shared my work in a decade except to close friends.

Now days I'm content with sending a message to someone with a fix for something they're having issues with than actually doing anything for myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using mods for my games for a long time, but I started making my own 3 months ago, so I am quite new?.

I make mods mostly for Sims 4, but I have made small things for Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Rimworld.

I did not have any previous programming experience but there are a lot of resources to learn.

As for gaming experience I am born in the 21st century, so not very long, but I have 3 older brothers that showed their little sister the basic "older" stuff  I HAD TO play, so I have played a lot of both modern and classic games, my favorites being RPG's, some turn-based style strategy, and silly games such as The Sims ?. The only first-person-shooters I loved was Doom and Wolfenstein, but other than those I do not like fast paced games (except for RPGs) since I am quite bad ?.

I started making mods to fix bugs that annoyed me, changing small things, and adding stuff that I was missing, and that was motivation enough to learn. Then after I learned more and more I started to create the stuff I would like to play but did not exist, more complex things, and have a lot of fun doing it. Too many ideas but not enough time is the biggest problem ?. In my case what I enjoy most right now is making magic - related mods for Sims 4.

I would not dare giving any kind of advice since like I said, I have been making mods for a couple of months only, but I would say that making mods just because "other people would like to see this or that in game" would probably get very boring very fast. Instead, making stuff I find fun and interesting and would like to play myself is what I like, and I like to share it with others in case other people also find it fun and interesting. So I am always open for "suggestions" but not for "requests".