Site is back up after extended downtime

FIX CLOUDFLARE

I understand that CloudFlare is being used as DDOS protection, however the manner of its use has been detrimental to the site.  It has created significant slowdown on forum access and causes timeouts when one wishes to upload content of any significant size.  And by significant size, I don't mean hitting the 250MB cap but something smaller (ie my 28MB file featured in the below spoiler).

Spoiler

NotHappening.jpg

(Browser settings at 30% resolution to show all 60+ attempts)

There should be no reason whatsoever that an attempt to upload a single 28MB file would fail continuously after 60+ attempts in a span of 90 minutes.  And for those suggesting Chrome as an issue, I have attempted with both Microsoft Edge and my preferred Mozilla browser.  Browsers are not the issue at all.

And no, it is not the Download Manager at fault.  I have made attempts to upload the mod on various occasions as an attachment.  There are others that have noted the inability to upload videos or other content as well.  The issues clearly began back in February with reported 520 errors as a result of CloudFlare:

image.png

(And this isn't even mine.  I don't Live in Frankfurt, Germany)

Understand, this is a severe problem.  What good is it for a game development and mod sharing/distribution forum if the mods for distribution cannot be uploaded at all?  The current use of CloudFlare is essentially making the feature, and by respect the forum as a game mod source, utterly worthless. 

Please, @Ashal.  I recognize that you were able to return the forum back to functionality in January when you started this topic.  But it was only a month later that issue began to arise, all stemming from the use of CloudFlare.  It needs attention.

For me the site is very slow lately. Reloading pages, opening threads and posting and/or editing comments takes up an unusually long time.

I am not sure if it is my local internet or if its actually the site.

By reading other comments on here it seems that there is at least some problem with the site itself.

Not the biggest dealbreaker right now, but surely a bit annyoing when actually looking for something, when every page update take ~1min to show up.

2 hours ago, knight77 said:

For me the site is very slow lately. Reloading pages, opening threads and posting and/or editing comments takes up an unusually long time.

I am not sure if it is my local internet or if its actually the site.

By reading other comments on here it seems that there is at least some problem with the site itself.

Not the biggest dealbreaker right now, but surely a bit annyoing when actually looking for something, when every page update take ~1min to show up.

Me too -- the site is being exuberantly slow.  It's actually why I'm here in this thread: seeing if anyone else was having an issue or it was just me.  Indeed, I can confirm it's being really slow.  It's definitively not my ISP, since I'm not having issues with any other website.  I'm also in the US, if that helps any.

6 hours ago, LongDukDong said:

FIX CLOUDFLARE

I understand that CloudFlare is being used as DDOS protection, however the manner of its use has been detrimental to the site.  It has created significant slowdown on forum access and causes timeouts when one wishes to upload content of any significant size.  And by significant size, I don't mean hitting the 250MB cap but something smaller (ie my 28MB file featured in the below spoiler).

Reveal hidden contents

NotHappening.jpg

(Browser settings at 30% resolution to show all 60+ attempts)

There should be no reason whatsoever that an attempt to upload a single 28MB file would fail continuously after 60+ attempts in a span of 90 minutes.  And for those suggesting Chrome as an issue, I have attempted with both Microsoft Edge and my preferred Mozilla browser.  Browsers are not the issue at all.

And no, it is not the Download Manager at fault.  I have made attempts to upload the mod on various occasions as an attachment.  There are others that have noted the inability to upload videos or other content as well.  The issues clearly began back in February with reported 520 errors as a result of CloudFlare:

image.png

(And this isn't even mine.  I don't Live in Frankfurt, Germany)

Understand, this is a severe problem.  What good is it for a game development and mod sharing/distribution forum if the mods for distribution cannot be uploaded at all?  The current use of CloudFlare is essentially making the feature, and by respect the forum as a game mod source, utterly worthless. 

Please, @Ashal.  I recognize that you were able to return the forum back to functionality in January when you started this topic.  But it was only a month later that issue began to arise, all stemming from the use of CloudFlare.  It needs attention.

Cloudflare unfortauntely is its own issue concerning the DDoS protection browserchecking screen; I run into the issue daily on another website and people are complaining to the pretty much gone staff to fix or get ridof Cloudflare, its really on Cloudflares end thanbks to ending use of certain site related cookies.

So that said there is nothing Ashal can do in terms of the browser check execepot maybe turn off extra security or whatever the setting is

1 hour ago, Tiruil said:

So that said there is nothing Ashal can do in terms of the browser check execepot maybe turn off extra security or whatever the setting is

Well, not sure if it's connected to the browser check (kinda doubt it as in that case lots of other sites would be suffering just as much), but something needs to be done as to the responsiveness of this site. If it stays as is, LL is in for a rough time. Already people stopped posting new blog entries or updates to mods simply because it's such a pain if it works at all.

3 hours ago, Tiruil said:

Cloudflare unfortauntely is its own issue concerning the DDoS protection browserchecking screen; I run into the issue daily on another website and people are complaining to the pretty much gone staff to fix or get ridof Cloudflare, its really on Cloudflares end thanbks to ending use of certain site related cookies.

I did not complain about browser checking.  I complained about the problems coming from the timeouts that make it literally impossible to upload content and cause drag on anyone entering, posting or even surfing the forum... as I stated here:

10 hours ago, LongDukDong said:

Above, I recognized its use to prevent DDos attacks.  But I pointed out that it is very likely the root cause of the gripes of the community, the time-outs and inability to post. 

I would hazard to guess that CloudFlare was installed this February when the issues began.  There are, after all, numerous posts on Google reporting service slowdown based on how it is configured... if configuration is indeed what could be fixed,

2 hours ago, Talesien said:

Well, not sure if it's connected to the browser check (kinda doubt it as in that case lots of other sites would be suffering just as much), but something needs to be done as to the responsiveness of this site. If it stays as is, LL is in for a rough time. Already people stopped posting new blog entries or updates to mods simply because it's such a pain if it works at all.

Now that is EXACTLY my point.  With the current software in place, though it means to protect the forum, is itself doing more harm than good.  Posting will suffer, updates to mods cannot be made, and navigation is near impossible without two-minute wait times.  And what if this gets worse and logging-in times out?  Members will not be able to enter.  It took me three minutes to log back in after signing out.

Edited by LongDukDong
2 hours ago, LongDukDong said:

I did not complain about browser checking.  I complained about the problems coming from the timeouts that make it literally impossible to upload content and cause drag on anyone entering, posting or even surfing the forum

I would hazard to guess that CloudFlare was installed this February when the issues began.  There are, after all, numerous posts on Google reporting service slowdown based on how it is configured... if configuration is indeed what could be fixed,

Now that is EXACTLY my point.  With the current software in place, though it means to protect the forum, is itself doing more harm than good.  Posting will suffer, updates to mods cannot be made, and navigation is near impossible without two-minute wait times.  And what if this gets worse and logging-in times out?  Members will not be able to enter.  It took me three minutes to log back in after signing out.

1; my mistake I mis-read what you meant, and I agree; the timeouts occur because of Cloudflare. Just gettint ot this thread alound took me 3 minutes pluis a refresh

2: That is my guess too, the site slow issues didnt begin until Cloudflare showed up; a lot of sites i know of rely heavily on Cloudflare's DDoS servers and constantly there services really to host their sites.

3: If at all possible, I beliece Ashel would only be able to set the level of security, one site I know of has it set to Severe/Strict and results in a browser check; their reason on that site is to prevent 3rd party apps from accessing, and also other issues

All in all, the issue is on Cloudflares end

1 hour ago, DonQuiWho said:

FWIW, I haven't been able to get search to work on threads where I know that the terms looked for do exist

If they are 'older' content files, they may have been classified as archived.  Unlike Nexus Mods, they still exist and can be found if you manually look through the board.  However, they do not show up when using the search engine.

I forgot who it was that told me. But I have been aware of this for a couple years.

Edited by LongDukDong
On 4/12/2022 at 1:05 AM, LongDukDong said:

Completely agreed.

And seriously, your signature was that smegging AI toaster with a bread complex?

Oh yeah, "Howdy Doodley Doo!! I'm Talkie! Talkie Toaster!.".... Maybe I should updatemy avatar to match it

It took me literally one minute (actual 60 seconds) to enter the forum after clicking my bookmark. I was afraid I was going to time-out; the slowdown on entry being that awful.

For those interested, I had made a letter of sorts in the forum addressed 'To Ashal' on this subject, hopeful that some member of staff would respond.  Rather than, I had respondents claim no problem, that CloudFlare not an issue or... (unbelieveably) that we should post content 'elsewhere' outside of LoversLab and just make links to it in here.

Perhaps a show of support for the thread may help?  Because it appears this topic is being ignored, and I know at least two moderators had seen the Ashal thread yesterday (CPU, DoctaSax and myuhinny). With hope, someone may recognize this as a legitimate issue.

Edited by LongDukDong
Added myuhinny as one more mod I saw withinthe Ashal thread

I do also have extremely long loading times since a few months (usually several minutes for threads - and that is only the text before the pictures even start loading). Even clicking on "Follow topic" or notifications, which was instant in the past, takes several seconds to load. I also got the message that the server would be down from Cloudflare today, refreshing loaded the site after a while.

@Evaloves4

That's because we're only running on one file server right now instead of two as one of them was faulty and was what was causing the slowdown but we'll still see slowdowns in high use times when traffic use is higher till the faulty server is fixed.

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/188177-to-lovely-ashal-fast-speed-now-nixcloudflare-is-not-likely-doing-more-harm-than-good/?do=findComment&comment=3725333