What book do you currently read or have read?

In today's age, maybe not everyone is reading a book.

I grew up reading books and book played an important role how i see the world.

In my youth i read two books in particular that were at the time absolutely great.

One was a trilogy called Tripods.

The Tripods Trilogy

The other one was Lost World.

The Lost World

Recently, i read for the first time Frankenstein which was surprisingly very different from all the movies i had seen.

Naturally, this book was not an easy read since English isn't my native tongue as it was written in a way that was perhaps the way you wrote over a 100 years ago. But it was easy to understand.

I know that books topics like self help, cooking are best sellers as that is what people want to know. Though i despise cook books. I have never used a cook book but there we are, a full row of cook book are on the shelf. To be never read evermore.

So, if you like to share you current book or recent, it would be a delight. Or if you will, the book that you liked the most like the ones i mentioned.

Cheers.

Edited by wutpickel
  • Guest changed the title to What book do you currently read or have read?

Currently reading the "Demon Princess Magical Chaos" series, a girl gets isekaied  wakes up as a Crawling chaos first thing her new mom the demon queen has to do is teach her to shape shift so she stops driving the maids insane haha its got magic  and some brutal fight scenes and each volume so far has at least one steamy scene in it .    it has both Kendal and paperback versions 

I like PG Wodehouse's works and I'm on a binge reading them right now. They are somewhat mindless, but very pleasant and well written. I read the Tripods when I was a kid, and I also recommend them.  L. Frank Baum is a good author for fantasy.  He is the guy who wrote the Wizard of Oz, but he also wrote a bunch of other books set in that same universe and a lot of people don't know about them.  My personal favorite is Queen Zixi of Ix.  JRR Tolkien is also an author I enjoy.  CS Lewis is ok, but I find him to be a bit heavy handed with the Christian allegory in the Chronicles of Narnia, and I think it detracts from the work.  Tolkien did a better job of weaving his beliefs into his stories without being heavy handed about it imo.  HP Lovecraft is also a favorite author of mine, and mostly wrote short stories.  Fair warning, he was not very racially sensitive and his works are kind of looked down on by some people because of that.  He was a product of his times, but if you can look past that, he wrote a lot excellent horror stories.

For non-fiction, I don't have a lot of suggestions, since I tend to just remember random facts and not authors.  One author that made an impression is a historian, John Julius Norwich, he wrote a trilogy on Byzantine history, and it blew my mind when I first read it.  It opened my mind to an entire civilization I didn't realize existed, and strongly influenced my later interests in Eastern European and Middle Eastern history.

Currently rereading The full Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, for about the 6th time. LOL.

As for "have read". Everything by Anne Rice, most things by Richard Marcinko, a lot of Clive Cussler, Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Obviously there are dozens of other authors I am forgetting. I don't read as much as I used to so a lot of author names have slipped from my memory over the years.

Edited by ramrod126

I am currently reading Piers Anthony's Fire Sail. Which for those that are unaware is his 42nd book in this series, it is a humorous fantasy full of wordplay and puns. The man is a prolific author churning out 19 other short series consisting of 2 to 8 books each. I just love fantasy and science fiction, a few names that show prominently on my bookshelf are Anne McCaffrey, Frank Herbert, J. R. R. Tolkien, Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Stephen R. Donaldson.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a book on my trip to Germany.

Vermeer from Taschen Verlag. 40th edition. The complete works.

Such a joy.

I am not a art person and know mostly nothing about art and artists. But this book opened my eyes.

Of course i love the painting from him and the one that everyone knows. The girl with the pearl earrings.

I think art can make you actually happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake, a re-read after maybe five years. Though pieced together from Peake's various versions by Langdon Jones (and good on him for it I say) and with Titus by now reduced to little more than a catalyst there's still most of the power of the first two books in there. The descriptive mastery too. It's like it asks 'did you like that shudder? No? Well tough, there's another coming along next paragraph, softie'.

ONE HUNDRED AND TWO

Under a light to strangle infants by, the great and horrible flower opened its bulbous petals one by one: a flower whose roots drew sustenance from the grey slime of the pit, and whose vile scent obscured the delicacy of the juniper. This flower was evil, and its bloom satanic, and though it was invisible its manifestations were on every side.

And now I have to root through boxes for another bog book. Later though. I'm still a little shaky and they're stacked high.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

I'm struggling to find a decent fantasy series that either I haven't read or it at least looks interesting.

I would love something like Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen but I doubt such a beast exists. Grateful for any suggestions though.

I really enjoyed the Dwarve Series from Markus Heitz, he is a german author but his books are available in english. But as for any translation i can't promise you that the translation is good enough? Had to learnt he hard way after reading going postal from terry pratchert first in german.. You won't believe how dull this books are in another language

6 hours ago, Gukahn said:

I really enjoyed the Dwarve Series from Markus Heitz, he is a german author but his books are available in english. But as for any translation i can't promise you that the translation is good enough? Had to learnt he hard way after reading going postal from terry pratchert first in german.. You won't believe how dull this books are in another language

Thanks. Sounded good up until the word 'dwarves'.

Terry Pratchett was the best English writer of the 20th century IMO. I don't know how you would get a good translation into another language as a lot of his humour is based on word plays, puns, idiom, etc.

Try reading a translation of the Tao Te Ching by someone who doesn't have a clue about Taoist philosophy. ?